Jump to content
    Lux Apollo
  • Author
  • 2,956 Words
  • 2,110 Views
  • 16 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Shattering - 1. Chapter 1 - Invitation

“But you absolutely must come, David!”

 

I sighed, leaning back in my seat. “Look Vicky, I’ll ask Mike if he’s interested but I’m pretty sure it’s going to be a no.”

 

“And you can’t come by yourself? Jeez, David, I never would have thought you were so whipped,” she pouted before taking a drink of her latte.

 

Victoria Collins was probably my best friend from work. Well, my former work. Maybe my future work, too, if the layoffs were in fact as temporary as they told me when I was given the pink slip. It’s been the better part of a year now, however, so I’m not holding my breath. I’d been happy to working at Globestar as a graphic designer. I mean, I’d worked there since I graduated from college so I must have liked it. I guess it’s also why I haven’t been working too hard at finding another permanent position, instead choosing to do contract work up to now. It’s not like Mike and I were hard up for money. We could easily live off his corporate lawyer’s paycheck alone. The house is paid off, his car too, a vacation fund, and we have savings tucked away in case we need some cushion. Maybe the saddest thing about all of this is that the vast majority of my contracts are coming from Globestar.

Globestar was hit pretty hard by the recession, just like a lot of other companies that weren’t as valued as essential services for large businesses. Our client base shrank and as it did the higher ups decided they needed to shed employees and ‘streamline’ things. I thought I had enough seniority to escape the cut, but my department’s new manager Steve had taken a dislike to me within two weeks of his hiring. No one ever told me if they found out exactly what it was that triggered him first, but I strongly suspect it was the day he saw the picture of Mike and I kissing at Niagara Falls on my desk. He was some sort of evangelical born-again Christian, the kind who are so convinced of their righteousness that they are blind to their hypocrisy. Being gay was definitely not okay in his world.

 

Maybe that in and of itself wasn’t enough, though. Maybe it was when I told him that while I respected his faith, it was against the law to so strongly encourage his subordinates to come to his church, with heavy emphasis on how the church could help us leave ‘lifestyles’ that were fraught with perilous temptations. He didn’t take that too well, as you can imagine. At least I managed to get him cited and disciplined by HR since I wasn’t the only one who was in the line of fire. Poor Santosh. Apparently the only thing worse than being a Muslim that did not follow Christ was being a Hindu that worshiped ‘more false gods than there were condoms in a whore house.’ Oh that’s right, Steve also didn’t like it when I asked him how he had learned how many condoms he could find in a place like that. My bad.

 

“I’m not whipped, Vicky. I just know that he’ll say that he’s going to be too tired to handle a party and a late night. He doesn’t really like costume parties, either, and it’s not even Hallowe’en. Maybe if you were holding it on the Saturday instead I could convince him, but on a Friday night? Not gonna happen.”

 

Vicky sighed. “Sheesh, David. When did we get so old that going to a party on a Friday night was a chore?”

 

“Come on, I don’t think we’re that old yet,” I replied giving her a half-smile. We were the same age, 34, while my partner Mike was few years older at 37. He likes to joke with people that I keep him young since I’m 34 going on 20. I take that bullshit in stride, but he gets a bit defensive when you point out he’s getting up towards the big four-oh.

 

“Right, we aren’t that old. And yet here I am listening to you sigh and reject an invitation to what’s going to be one hell of a party,” she pointed out, raising an eyebrow. “One, I might add, that I know for a fact you want to come to.”

 

“Look, this isn’t about me. Mike is really stressed out with his work lately. Between his commute and the fact that he keeps having to stay late or bring work home to finish things on schedule we aren’t getting much time to spend just on us.”

 

“And you can make that time on any Saturday or Sunday, David!” Vicky insisted, even though she surely must have known that even the weekends were fair game in Mike’s line of work when a deadline was looming. “It’s not just me who wants you to come, David. Everyone else misses you and they will be sad if you miss this party, too. You haven’t been to a single one of the gatherings our group’s had since you were laid off. Hell, you are practically still working for the company anyway with the amount of work they contract out to you. We all know that bastard should have been the one they let go, not you. Speaking of which, did you hear that Santosh finally quit?”

 

“Huh? When did this happen?”

 

“Oh, about three weeks ago. He’s filed a major grievance with the labour board, too, and he’s going to take it to the Human Rights Commission if they don’t settle. It could cost Globestar a lot of money.”

 

“Well he deserves every cent he can get after the shit Steve’s put him through. Damn, I hate to be selfish right now but if they have to pay out I bet this will make it even less likely that I’m going to get my job back.”

 

“You sure about that? The company must have some form of indemnity insurance, or whatever it’s called, for situations like this. You can bet Steve’s going to be sent packing soon enough. HR has to finish a review first but they are for sure going to fire him this time. And, David, trust me when I say that there have been more than a few people mentioning your name when the topic of replacing Santosh has come up. Pretty much everyone at work liked you. Add to that the fact that you were one of the few people there that was reliable about getting things done on schedule and helping out others when they needed it, even for last-minute projects, and I think you will have it in the bag. You have the advantage of being the devil they know. Or rather an angel, in your case,” she finished with a wry smile.

 

I sighed. Reliable? An angel? More like a pushover. At least that’s what Mike always told me I was, considering how often I brought work home to complete in the evening or on weekends. Maybe he was right to an extent, but nowadays he’s probably worse than I ever was. Not that he’d ever admit it.

 

“Whatever you say, Vicky. I mean, if they are going to fire Steve it’s still going to be a while before they get to Santosh’s position since they will no doubt want to deal with Steve’s first. Santosh’s they can supplement out with contracts to people like me.”

 

“Are you sure about that?” Vicky rejoined, a coy smile crossing her face.

 

“What are you not telling me?” I groaned.

 

“That’s for me to know and for you to find out, my friend.” She glanced down at her watch, her smile breaking. “Look, I have to get back soon. David, you are coming to this party whether you like it or not. You have a week and a half to convince him that you are coming, and he can come too if he wants. If you don’t show up we are going to bring the party to your place instead. I’m sure Mike would love to have a couple dozen half-drunk, costumed coworkers suddenly show up on your doorstep.”

 

“You wouldn’t,” I retorted.

 

“I would.”

 

“God help me,” I groaned again. She would. I knew her well enough to know she was telling the truth. Vicky only lived five or six blocks walk from Mike and I, so it would be an easy enough journey for the group. Mike would be livid, too. He’d blame it on me and probably make life at home a bit tense until he calmed down. He’s can be so damned serious and private when he’s stressed out at work, and he doesn’t like things impinging on his personal fortress. I know he’d forgive me for it, especially since it really would be Vicky’s fault, but he’d still be pissed. They’ve never really taken to one another, to be honest, mostly because she seems to really like pushing his buttons. He’s usually not so thin-skinned with people, so can’t really figure out why she gets to him so badly.

 

“Fine, Vicky. I’ll make it happen, somehow. What should I bring, other than a costume? Some wine? Beer?”

 

“Oh, we’ll be set for wine and beer. Mark’s bringing a bunch of craft stuff - you know how picky he is - and a few other people will be bringing wine. How about you bring that set of bitters you have and make us some of those wonderful cocktails you whipped up at the barbecue last June? I’ve already stocked up on tonic, soda water, orange juice, tomato juice and clamato so those bases are covered, and you know there’s nothing to worry about in the spirits and liquor department.”

 

Vicky was a self-admitted lush outside of work hours. I wouldn’t say she was an alcoholic - she doesn’t need to drink to get up in the morning, or to relax at night. She just chooses to have wine with dinner, and maybe a cocktail with her evening entertainment. To be honest, I think she overplays that card and doesn’t even drink as much as she says. Still, she keeps a pretty killer array of alcohols in her home bar.

 

“Okay, I can do that. I’ll bring some heavy cream and rimming salts too. Anything you’d like for food?”

 

“Maybe that wrapped brie thing you do? That’s always a hit.”

 

“Sure, as long as I can use the oven during the party. The pastry gets kind of meh if you prep it too far in advance.”

 

“Oh yeah, that should be fine. Bobby has that day off so he’s going to use a smoker to make some pulled pork that afternoon. There will be some slaw to go with it, and I’ve got other people bringing a bunch of antipasto, tapas and finger foods that won’t need cooking right then and there. Maybe just a little reheating, but we can probably get away with using the microwave.”

 

“Great. Well, I’ll let you know what Mike says.”

 

“DAVID!”

“Just kidding,” I chuckled, smiling even though I really wasn’t kidding. She rolled her eyes and stood. I got up and moved around the table to give her a hug.

“Thanks for meeting up with me. We need to do this more often. I just wish I didn’t have to go back into work for the rest of the afternoon.”

 

“Ah, the salaried life. There are definitely ways in which I don’t miss it, to be honest.”

 

She swatted my arm. “Jerk. I’ll see you next Friday night. 8pm, stat.”

 

“Yep, see you then,” I muttered weakly as she turned and walked out of the coffee shop. I sat back down for a few minutes, staring out the window at the passing traffic and the early spring colours enlivening the mini-park and churchyard across the road. Tulips, daffodils and scillas in bloom, wind-pollinated trees releasing their great wafts of microgametophytes into the air. I’d never been to this shop before, but it was independent and had a relaxed, cozy vibe. The espresso I drank was magnificent and Vicky seemed to really enjoy her latte and the lemon drop pound cake she savoured. If the rest of the drinks and snacks here are of the same quality I’ll definitely visit again. If Mike wouldn’t be a bitch about wasting money on fancy coffee, I think it would be nice to bring my laptop and do some of my work here once in awhile. He liked having a variety of nice beans and loose leaf teas at home, maybe even more than I do, but he considered paying $5 for something that would cost a dollar or less to make at home beyond ridiculous. Timmy’s or McDonald’s was fine for him if he needed coffee on the go. Maybe I should ask him to get me an espresso machine for my birthday. It didn’t have to be anything fancy or high tech, and definitely small enough to fit somewhere on the limited counter space we have left in our kitchen, just something to give my daily caffeine intake a little more variety. He’d get to enjoy it too, which was a definite plus.

 

Still, even if he did buy me one, I’d love to spend time working away from home. After almost eight months of being self-employed, it’s become pretty dull and uninspiring to work in my home office, or at the kitchen table, or in the living room, or even on the back patio when the weather was good last fall. I mean, I always get my projects done and am still getting so it’s not like it’s affecting my work. Not yet, anyway. I just can’t help but feel like I’m stuck in a rut. Sometimes it’s all I can do to sit down and get started working because I’m so… stir crazy? I don’t know. Regardless, getting out of the house more would help. I do take walks in the neighbourhood here and there during the week. I’d be much more consistent if we had a dog, but I don’t like dogs. Besides, I’m getting sick of the local streets. I’ve walked them far too many times, nothing ever changes. I’m probably going to start biking more often. It’s how I got downtown to meet Vicky at this coffee shop, anyway. I just have to do a little better with my courage. It took longer than needed to get there because I was avoiding too many busy streets. You aren’t supposed to bike on the sidewalk and I’m going to follow the law.

 

Sighing, I pulled out my cell phone.

 

 

D: Hey hun, just finished coffee with Vicky

D: Just wondering what you wanted for dinner before I go shopping

 

 

M: How about that pork thing you were telling me about the other day?

 

 

Really? Had he forgotten already? Jeez, he’s probably forgotten that his brother and sister-in-law are coming over tomorrow, too.

 

 

D: The pork tenderloin was for dinner with Emily and Mitchell tomorrow night

D: Pork Wellington, remember?

 

M: Oh. Well, just make whatever.

 

D: Are you sure?

D: I can figure out something else for tomorrow

 

M: Whatever. Do what you feel like.

 

 

Too many whatevers. Ugh, I know him and I know there’s a 50/50 chance that he’s either in a really good mood and will love what I make regardless or a really bad mood and will be nothing but grunts and complaints all night.

 

 

D: What time do you think you will be home?

 

M: No clue.

 

 

Okay, make that 80/20 in favour of a bad mood. Damn it. I hate it when he can’t tell me when he’ll be home. It really restricts what I can make him so that it is still nice if it’s reheated, and mellow enough that he’ll eat it if he’s home after 8pm and not complain that it’s going to make his stomach upset and rumbly when he’s trying to get to sleep.

 

 

D: Okay. If you get an idea of an ETA, let me know

 

M: I can just eat leftovers if it’s too much trouble

 

D: No I’ll have a snack and make something for when you get home

 

M: Kk. Gotta go.

 

D: I love you

 

 

I put my phone back in my pocket, not waiting for a reply. He probably wouldn’t anyway if he was going into a meeting or something like that. I stood up and stretched my back briefly. Trying not to be awkward in public while stretching is a bit of a challenge, and I don’t think I managed to do either very well. I walked out and hopped onto my bicycle. Maybe a stir-fry would be good, and could be served up almost immediately when he gets home. I could have everything chopped up and marinated and ready to go, even the rice cooked ahead of time. It would only take me a few minutes in the wok to get everything cooked. I’ll make that broccoli black pepper beef dish that Mike loves. Hopefully that by the time he’s finished eating he’ll be in a good enough mood that I can bring up the party. I guess I’ll cross that hurdle one way or another. Vicky owes me big time for this.

 
Copyright © 2016 Lux Apollo; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 23
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

I had to sigh when I started this chapter. I can't help but identify with David's
situation: mid-thirties, married in a stable relationship, and trying to balance all
that's required to keep everybody happy at a time in life when everything
could easily go stale or dreadfully 40's nutzo crisis on you. Too young to be old
but too old to be young, and nobody's ready to see themselves as stuck in a rut.
It is a surprisingly difficult time of life for many people and there are plenty who
don't come out of it intact. I'm curious to see how these characters deal with it all.
You have a nice writing style that flows well, and that's always a pleasure for me.

Link to comment
On 05/24/2016 03:43 AM, Stephen said:

I had to sigh when I started this chapter. I can't help but identify with David's

situation: mid-thirties, married in a stable relationship, and trying to balance all

that's required to keep everybody happy at a time in life when everything

could easily go stale or dreadfully 40's nutzo crisis on you. Too young to be old

but too old to be young, and nobody's ready to see themselves as stuck in a rut.

It is a surprisingly difficult time of life for many people and there are plenty who

don't come out of it intact. I'm curious to see how these characters deal with it all.

You have a nice writing style that flows well, and that's always a pleasure for me.

Thanks for the kind words and my first ever review! I wanted to write something that is hitting close to home (the mid-thirties rut, not the jealousy part thankfully). I'm seeing friends, my partner and I going through the same thing in one fashion or another and it's very interesting to me to see how we are each handling it differently - job changes, relationship changes, bringing children into their lives... I hope the story keeps you interested and meets expectations as it moves forward!

Link to comment

Hey lux! That was such a really solid chapter which set the scene so well!
Since it makes me very interested in what's really going on with Mike, and what will happen next, you done good! :P

 

Now, just don't make us wait toooo long!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 05/24/2016 08:45 AM, skinnydragon said:

Hey lux! That was such a really solid chapter which set the scene so well!

Since it makes me very interested in what's really going on with Mike, and what will happen next, you done good! :P

 

Now, just don't make us wait toooo long!

Thanks! I'm glad it's working. I hope to be posting updates every week or so with this story. I have another one on the way that is much further along that will be weekly, but it's just fanfic so... I dunno. Anyway, thanks for reading and reviewing! The feedback means a lot to me.

Link to comment
  • Site Administrator

Interesting start. You've set the scene nicely and given us a good glimpse into David. I'm curious to see Mike's side of the story. He already seems distant, just from the text exchange. I look forward to what's next. :)

Link to comment
On 05/24/2016 10:54 AM, Valkyrie said:

Interesting start. You've set the scene nicely and given us a good glimpse into David. I'm curious to see Mike's side of the story. He already seems distant, just from the text exchange. I look forward to what's next. :)

Whether or not we hear Mike's side of the story in full is something that we shall have to wait for. I still haven't decided if we need to see things from his perspective directly. If it happens, it's a ways away. We're going to ride things out with David for now. Thanks for the comments!

Link to comment

Since I read your fanfic, I decided to check this one out. You did a great job, but to be honest, this one makes me nervous. I read the prologue, and I steer clear of reading about open relationships, and cheating. I lived it... the cheating part... and I don't do well at reading about it. Anyway... well done on the character study... cheers... Gary...

Link to comment
On 05/27/2016 04:21 AM, Headstall said:

Since I read your fanfic, I decided to check this one out. You did a great job, but to be honest, this one makes me nervous. I read the prologue, and I steer clear of reading about open relationships, and cheating. I lived it... the cheating part... and I don't do well at reading about it. Anyway... well done on the character study... cheers... Gary...

There are lots of things people are okay with in theory until it happens in practice, I get that. The story isn't going to end in cheating. Mike and David are not those kind of people, I can tell you that much.

Link to comment

I like it. I like stories about people in their daily lives. I just want to see where you take them, what they do and their reactions. People, eat, breathe, work, love, hate, cheat, lie ... I want to see it all, good or bad.

 

So, let's go.

 

This was a good start ....

 

tim

Link to comment

Good start. I like how you write. It's the kind of story I enjoy, about simple normal people, their daily life... :)
I think I don't really like Mike already though :lol:

Link to comment

He, he... A boyfriend of a distant lawyer... I seem to recognise this from somewhere. Us lawyers are hard to live with and I feel for David. Will be interesting to see what happens. Could this party be the trigger?

Link to comment
On 05/27/2016 09:32 PM, Mikiesboy said:

I like it. I like stories about people in their daily lives. I just want to see where you take them, what they do and their reactions. People, eat, breathe, work, love, hate, cheat, lie ... I want to see it all, good or bad.

 

So, let's go.

 

This was a good start ....

 

tim

Thanks! I'm hoping I can capture a sense of how the ordinary in one's daily life can be extraordinary when you are caught up in the middle of things when difficulties come along. Or, how some things that may seem ordinary at a particular time are perhaps not at all ordinary. I'm not sure whether that's a good goal, or whether I'll succeed but we'll see how it goes. :)

Link to comment
On 05/28/2016 03:56 AM, clochette said:

Good start. I like how you write. It's the kind of story I enjoy, about simple normal people, their daily life... :)

I think I don't really like Mike already though :lol:

Thanks! I'll be toying with perspective a fair amount, and David's perspective on people (especially Mike) at a given time will colour things. Sometimes what one perceives is not, in fact, the truth or it is only partially true. Sometimes we are blind to things, and sometimes willfully so. Give Mike a chance to be himself and see what you think of him as the story moves forward.

Link to comment
On 06/06/2016 06:19 AM, Puppilull said:

He, he... A boyfriend of a distant lawyer... I seem to recognise this from somewhere. Us lawyers are hard to live with and I feel for David. Will be interesting to see what happens. Could this party be the trigger?

The party will definitely demonstrate that the cracks in their relationship might be bigger than either has thought. It will definitely be an inciting moment for the story.

Link to comment

Great first chapter, Lux! :)

 

I'm not sure if I like Mike right now. He seems so distant, but that's probably because work takes up so much of his time.

 

David does need to get out more. Maybe take up a hobby or something when he's not working...

 

I'm looking forward to the party.

Link to comment
On 06/11/2016 10:56 AM, Lisa said:

Great first chapter, Lux! :)

 

I'm not sure if I like Mike right now. He seems so distant, but that's probably because work takes up so much of his time.

 

David does need to get out more. Maybe take up a hobby or something when he's not working...

 

I'm looking forward to the party.

Definitely give Mike a chance. He's not a villain, just human. David is equally fallible, we will learn. You are probably right about David and hobbies, but we might learn down the road what his hobbies are and why they might not be enough to fill the gaps.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..