Jump to content
  • Join For Free and Get Notified of New Chapters!

    Are you enjoying a great story and want to get an alert or email when a new chapter is posted? Join now for free and follow your favorite stories and authors!  You can even choose to get daily or weekly digest emails instead of getting flooded with an email for each story you follow. 

     

    MacGreg
  • Author
  • 231 Words
  • 1,380 Views
  • 19 Comments

Poems and Short Quips - 1. Cinched In

Intermittently, I catch glimpses of the mile markers on the road,
Reflective signs that denote the distance
To a destination still unknown.

We've passed many such signs along the way, You and I,
Pressing our foreheads to the glass, peering out into the darkness,
Looking for common ground across this expanse of uninhabitable land.

But there is no soft spot to rest our heads,
No safe haven to heal our hearts,
And the journey has become futile and full of vicious circles.

I've grown tired of our quarrels and moments of silence,
Weary of the dullness of the passing scenery
And the battles we fight within the painted lines of the highway.

I want to break free from our pointless flight to nowhere,
Yet I find myself constrained behind the seat belt
You continually cinch over me in order to keep me still,

In addition to the hand you slide over my knee,
With fingers digging down into flesh until you've reached bone,
Because you know it works.

Your grip holds me still for a little while longer,
As we continue the journey, continue moving forward,
Counting the endless white dashes that zip beneath our wheels,

Until, eventually, we push over the rise of this path we've chosen
And discover our true selves embedded along the horizon,
Stark and unrecognizable and in heavy need of repair.

Copyright © 2017 MacGreg; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 16

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

This made me sad. The writer is trapped in a place on a journey he doesn't want, with someone he no longer wants to be with. It's very well written.
Hope you'll wander over to the Live Poets Forum ..
tim

  • Like 3
Link to comment
On 01/23/2017 11:43 AM, Mikiesboy said:

This made me sad. The writer is trapped in a place on a journey he doesn't want, with someone he no longer wants to be with. It's very well written.

Hope you'll wander over to the Live Poets Forum ..

tim

Thanks, tim. Sometimes the vicious circles keep us hostage for a while. Glad for your feedback. I do stalk the Live Poets forum from time to time... ;-)

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Like Tim, this made me sad also. I pictured the road and the narrator's relationship as being the same -- just one endless boring landscape that holds no interest for him anymore with both in need of repair.

  • Like 4
Link to comment

I'm not feeling well, so am not up to an in-depth review, but I wanted to say that this is well-written and quite sad. A sense a little bit of Travis in this poem. :hug:

  • Like 4
Link to comment

I read this... and had to leave and come back. The first two verses opened up the despair of this metaphor for a relationship going bad in a powerful and poetic way. You led us to it like a lamb to slaughter. How bad is this relationship? It sounds very... I found the line about digging fingers into the bone rather unsettling... like someone deliberately firing salvos they know will hurt... I understand that all to well. Has this reached the point of abusive? The final line... in need of repair... had me wondering if it was the people or the relationship in need of such... was there hope? I wanted to think so, despite what came before. Stark and powerful, buddy, and I apologize if I got it wrong. Cheers... Gary....

  • Like 3
Link to comment
On 01/23/2017 01:37 PM, Lisa said:

Like Tim, this made me sad also. I pictured the road and the narrator's relationship as being the same -- just one endless boring landscape that holds no interest for him anymore with both in need of repair.

Thanks Lisa, the road is a metaphor for the relationship. But even more so, the vehicle they're traveling in together like a prison they can only look out the windows of, watching opportunities pass by...

  • Like 3
Link to comment
On 01/23/2017 01:37 PM, Valkyrie said:

I'm not feeling well, so am not up to an in-depth review, but I wanted to say that this is well-written and quite sad. A sense a little bit of Travis in this poem. :hug:

Sorry you're not feeling well, Val. Thanks for taking a moment to comment. If there is a little bit of Travis in this, I suppose that's because there's a little bit of Travis in me. Anyway, feel better soon.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
On 01/23/2017 01:42 PM, Headstall said:

I read this... and had to leave and come back. The first two verses opened up the despair of this metaphor for a relationship going bad in a powerful and poetic way. You led us to it like a lamb to slaughter. How bad is this relationship? It sounds very... I found the line about digging fingers into the bone rather unsettling... like someone deliberately firing salvos they know will hurt... I understand that all to well. Has this reached the point of abusive? The final line... in need of repair... had me wondering if it was the people or the relationship in need of such... was there hope? I wanted to think so, despite what came before. Stark and powerful, buddy, and I apologize if I got it wrong. Cheers... Gary....

In my head again, Gary...? You pulled everything out perfectly. Wish I could give you a positive twist on it all, but I can't really. Thanks for your in-depth review, it means a lot.

  • Like 3
Link to comment

I get the feeling this is very personal to you. While reading I almost felt like I was peeking into something I shouldn't have, but you opened a door and allowed us in, so thank you for that. It's sad and beautifully written.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
On 01/23/2017 03:50 PM, LarryT said:

I get the feeling this is very personal to you. While reading I almost felt like I was peeking into something I shouldn't have, but you opened a door and allowed us in, so thank you for that. It's sad and beautifully written.

Thanks for the comment, Larry. I appreciate your thoughts on it, and yes, I did open a door a crack. You were invited in, so don't feel bad. ;-)

  • Like 2
Link to comment

A journey in a car as metaphor; you spin it out so well. I am taken back to journeys made with my family, trapped next to an older sibling or cousin in the rear seat. I have images of long, tense rides, with silent tension in the car filling the air with unspoken conversation. I recall in this poem being alone with thoughts which refuse to let go, digging deeper and deeper into the psyche. I cannot help but identify with so much in this. It is deeply sad and enormously powerful.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
On 01/24/2017 12:25 AM, Parker Owens said:

A journey in a car as metaphor; you spin it out so well. I am taken back to journeys made with my family, trapped next to an older sibling or cousin in the rear seat. I have images of long, tense rides, with silent tension in the car filling the air with unspoken conversation. I recall in this poem being alone with thoughts which refuse to let go, digging deeper and deeper into the psyche. I cannot help but identify with so much in this. It is deeply sad and enormously powerful.

Parker, thank you for this thoughtful review. I'm glad that the words and the metaphor I described reached you so deeply. Shared experiences can bring people together - but they can also push people apart. Thanks for reading and commenting.

  • Like 2
Link to comment

This calls to mind a relationship neither really want anymore but can't quite let go of either. Where one clings more desperately then the other to what once was. Do they reach their destination only to walk away?

  • Like 3
Link to comment
On 01/24/2017 04:49 AM, dughlas said:

This calls to mind a relationship neither really want anymore but can't quite let go of either. Where one clings more desperately then the other to what once was. Do they reach their destination only to walk away?

Hi dughlas, thanks for your comments. There is definite futilely to the journey, but there is a horizon at the end; whether good or bad, at least it's reached. Cheers -Mac

  • Like 2
Link to comment

I am not so fond of big and heavy poems. But your poem just held me there until you blowed that bomb of sadness. But the sadness made me relate to this poem very much. I could say an heart wrenching situation handled very bravely. I can feel the narrator's pain to grip or to loose the relationship with the other.

 

Wonderful yet sad poem. Well done.

 

~Emi.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
On 01/26/2017 05:01 AM, Emi GS said:

I am not so fond of big and heavy poems. But your poem just held me there until you blowed that bomb of sadness. But the sadness made me relate to this poem very much. I could say an heart wrenching situation handled very bravely. I can feel the narrator's pain to grip or to loose the relationship with the other.

 

Wonderful yet sad poem. Well done.

 

~Emi.

Hi Emi, thank you for reading and taking a moment to comment. I'm glad that there are points to this poem that you can relate to, but I'm sorry that we share some of the same sadness... At any rate, you're kind to comment. Cheers - Mac

  • Like 3
Link to comment

i come back to read these now and again... and the ache and sadness is near palpable. Terrible and beautiful. The pain in this is not desirable but it seems you cannot fight it .

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Like tim, I reread this, and I felt the pain and melancholy anew. This is a poem that cannot pass easily, unlike the car you travel in. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Your words bring the imagination and a lot of emotions Sir. Futility and vicious circles are not fun in any relationship and endless highways like prisons is an effective metaphor to describe it.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    You probably have a crazy and hectic schedule and find it hard to keep up with everything going on.  We get it, because we feel it too.  Signing up here is a great way to keep in touch and find something relaxing to read when you get a few moments to spare.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..