Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Prompt Ramblings - 6. Prompt 239 - First Line

First line - "Just give me a minute, please."

"Just give me a minute, please."

Shawn looked around the dark room lit by amber fireflies in lanterns that glowed brighter than should be possible. The shimmering flicker cast shadows that danced in every corner making the walls and its contents look alive. He swore he could hear the lick and crackle of flame coming from the lanterns, he could feel the warmth but it did nothing to soothe the disquiet in his chest.

A large, high walled ceramic basin filled with steaming water sat in the middle of the room. Next to that sat a small bucket with soap, sponges and other items spilling out the top. He edged closer to the basin. How hot was the water, really? The steam rolled off the surface in heavy plumes.

A tapping on the floor broke his questions.

Och, we haven’t got all night, laddie.”

Shawn turned and scrutinized the stout woman tapping her strong foot on the floor, arms crossed over her full bosom. A rounded kind face looked back at him with a stern impatience that showed the lines of an age that he couldn't begin to guess. Her long grey hair was braided and wound into a bun atop her head. The heavy woolen dress covering her neck to floor gave her a mix of grandma and handmaiden. Thick limbs and stunted proportions gave her the appearance of some kind of dwarf, but she stood the same height as Shawn. But Shawn was quickly realizing everything seemed bigger here and he was the smaller one.

She quickly stepped forward and grabbed a handful of the tunic draped over Shawn's body. Even quicker, she snatched it up and over his head leaving him stark naked. He tried desperately to keep a hold on it but he was still so weak and the stout woman seemed so strong. The tunic was the only thing he'd worn since he woke up here; he had no idea what had happened to his regular clothes or if they still existed.

Give it back, lady!” he shouted. She balled up the tunic and tossed it aside even as Shawn tried to cover himself with his hands. A loud bass filled cackle erupted from her.

Och, laddie. I'm na a lady, for sure,” she laughed. “Ye can call me Maertagh.”

Maertagh seemed completely amused while Shawn's skin flushed. His eyes flitted around looking for a way out.

Oh, god. This is like being naked with your grandmother.” Shawn's voice shook as his hands shifted around trying to find the best method of maintaining his crumbling modesty.

Och, child. I've had more cock in this lifetime than ye can imagine. You'll not be showing me anything new.”

Shawn blanched as Maertagh stepped forward suddenly causing him to scuttle backwards. He yelped when she caught him and lifted him off the ground like a toy doll. Or a toy poodle.

Before he knew it, Shawn was waist deep in the steaming water. Oh shit, it was hot! Shawn tried to scramble out of the basin, but those stubby fingers of hers were so fucking strong! With one hand she held him in the hot water while she reached for the bucket of extras.

It's na that hot,” she grumbled. “I dinna know why yuir so bashful. Even if ye are small, yuir a fine looking lad. I can see why Rath saved ye.”

One handed, Maertagh dunked Shawn under the water, leaving him sputtering as he resurfaced. When she started scrubbing the soap into his chest he stilled instantly, hands raised out afraid to do anything with them. She lathered him roughly and ran a coarse cloth over him like she was scouring a pot. Shawn prayed she wouldn't pull out that scrub brush he saw in the bucket.

As if the whole process wasn't humiliating enough, her hand sank into the water and began washing his privates and up around his ass. The high pitched response he made was not very manly. If she wasn't so strong, he would have launched himself to the ceiling.

Quiet now,” Maertagh scolded. “Ye've been lying in bed for nearly a week and Rath ordered me to care for ye. Ye should be thanking me, ye were a bit ripe, laddie.”

Once she was clearly satisfied with her work, Maertagh hoisted Shawn from the water and deposited him next to it. He stood there shivering, partially from the temperature drop and partially from being so effortlessly manhandled by the servant woman.

Shawn was a grown man. He was just under average height, but he was thick, solid and intimidated people. He didn't know what to make of being handled like a child or an object. His sense of order in the world was fleeting. But really now, what world was he actually in where an old woman tossed him around like a professional wrestler?

A thick towel wrapped itself around him as brisk movements licked the water from his skin. Shawn had always imagined being bathed by another person would be a sensual, intimate experience. A gentle exploration of another man that would be the precursor or after event of a night of passion. This was nothing of the sort. It wasn't cruel or punishing, it was simply executed like a chore to be done as quickly as possible. And it wasn't a man, no matter how powerful she was, he couldn't get past that fact.

A fresh linen tunic was quickly pulled over his head. “There ye go, laddie. All freshly scrubbed and dressed.”

Is this another of Rath's shirts?” Shawn pulled his arms through and looked down as the hemline went past his knees. Like the other, he swam in the garment. The wide neckline risked falling over this shoulder at any moment.

Aye. We'll be making something proper for ye to wear now that yuir getting better.” Maertagh walked over to the small round table along the wall. She opened a basket sitting on top and began rummaging inside. “C'mon, laddie. Have a seat and we'll see about feeding ye up.”

Shawn was once a marine. He'd seen combat and lived through it. But in this room he walked tentatively to the table like an uneasy child. He was so tired and weak and not just because he was recovering from his injuries. Carefully, he pulled himself onto a chair, the nightdress-like shirt tripping him slightly.

Maertagh pulled a small loaf of bread and a block of cheese and meat from the basket and set about cutting off thick slices from each with a angry looking kitchen blade. She hadn't even looked in his direction as she worked. Shawn couldn't help but study her.

The woman wasn't frightening per se, but since everything began Shawn had only been in Rath's presence. The giant man made him feel tiny in comparison, but he had been a constant as everything had turned upside down. Maertagh's strength and demeanor made him think of a harsh nanny that meant well, but had little gentle manner. However, considering what he's seen of this place so far, tenderness was a foreign element.

A simple, but huge sandwich dropped down in front of Shawn. He was going to have to squeeze it to take a proper bite it was so thick and who knew if he'd be able to finish it, it was so big. Given the rumble of his stomach, he was damn well going to try. The first bite was divine. It was hearty and basic and he needed it so much. The edginess he's been harboring began to subside.

Aye, eat up, laddie. Ye need your strength.” Maertagh placed a cup full of sweet juice before Shawn. “Ye've eaten nothing but broth since ye arrived.”

Shawn took another large bite of his sandwich. “When I'm better, how am I getting home?”

Maertagh turned to Shawn, eyebrow raised in surprise with a touch of confusion. Somehow he felt he should already know the answer to that question.

Och, laddie,” she said. “Ye are home.”

Copyright © 2015 Mann Ramblings; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 15
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

I'm sitting here kicking my feet like a giddy schoolgirl, i am so glad we got this sneak peak, but holy shit Mann, I wanna read more!!! I love Maertagh's no nonsense efficiency because it contrasted so wonderfully with Shawn's confusion and hesitation, Loving this story, the fireflies in the lantern were an excellent touch!

Link to comment

Once again I am blown away by the voice you've given to your characters! They're so vivid and colorful, it's great! Reminds my why I like reading more than watching movies. Heheh. Can't wait for more!

Link to comment

I am definitely up for more of this tail. the two characters you've let us meet so far are awesome. Maertegh seems like she would be a great watchdog for Shawn. Under that gruff exterior, I bet she is a pussycat. Shawn had me laughing at his "what the hell" thoughts. Being thrown around like a ragdoll was new to him. That's for sure. lol Love this

Link to comment
On 06/22/2013 10:36 PM, layla said:
I'm sitting here kicking my feet like a giddy schoolgirl, i am so glad we got this sneak peak, but holy shit Mann, I wanna read more!!! I love Maertagh's no nonsense efficiency because it contrasted so wonderfully with Shawn's confusion and hesitation, Loving this story, the fireflies in the lantern were an excellent touch!
It will take a little bit of time to complete but this story is on its way. It's big so I need to be much farther along before I can start posting, but I think it will be worth it! Thanks for selecting this option to write next, Layla! This is becoming even more fun than I was expecting. Keep an eye out!
Link to comment
On 06/22/2013 10:37 PM, said:
Once again I am blown away by the voice you've given to your characters! They're so vivid and colorful, it's great! Reminds my why I like reading more than watching movies. Heheh. Can't wait for more!
Thanks, Myiege! The prompt just created just a bright image for me while I was in brainstorming mode that this sort of just happened. I may use more of the prompts for other sneak peeks in the future. :) More is on the way!
Link to comment
On 06/22/2013 10:45 PM, joann414 said:
I am definitely up for more of this tail. the two characters you've let us meet so far are awesome. Maertegh seems like she would be a great watchdog for Shawn. Under that gruff exterior, I bet she is a pussycat. Shawn had me laughing at his "what the hell" thoughts. Being thrown around like a ragdoll was new to him. That's for sure. lol Love this
Thanks, Joann! I'm working on the full story as we speak. Thanks for reading!
Link to comment
On 06/22/2013 11:27 PM, Kitt said:
Woo hooo! I smell the beginnings of another addictive story!
Really? (Types the word "story meth" over and over.) This one is definitely getting some love. There will be more. Lots more.
Link to comment
On 06/25/2013 08:11 PM, aditus said:
*blinks* I defenitely lock the door when I take a bath next time - just in case.
I wholeheartedly agree. Just to be safe, make sure no one's in there with you before you look the door too. ;)
Link to comment

LOL his mind must be going bonkers a man that had been toughened by the military picked up plunked in water scrubbed and brought out. The pot analogy was perfect. I can't wait to read this story. If this teaser is anything to go by the story will be awesome.

Link to comment

I never saw this before, but I'm guessing this was the initial prompt response which led to So Little Magic Left ? It's even more fun, when you know that story.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..