• Join For Free and Get Notified of New Chapters!

Are you enjoying a great story and want to get an alert or email when a new chapter is posted? Join now for free and follow your favorite stories and authors!  You can even choose to get daily or weekly digest emails instead of getting flooded with an email for each story you follow.

• Shadowgod - Almost Home
  • Shadowgod - Almost Home
  • Shadowgod - Almost Home
    Marty
  • 205 Words
  • 626 Views

Marty's Shorts and Flashes - 2. Flat Lining (Flash)

Chapter Warnings: None

A surgeon has to make a quick decision in the emergency room.

"Clear!"

I stand back from the body of the middle-aged man lying on the table in ER. Several gunshot wounds are in evidence. A nurse places paddles on his chest. The body jerks violently upwards and then settles back onto the table.

"Still flat lining," says a voice to my right.

"Increase the power," I insist, restarting CPR.

The next jolt is also unsuccessful. I almost give up.

"Time of death 20:48 hours," says a voice behind me.

"No!" I cry. "Pass me the chest cutter!"

"Doctor, let him go. He’s too badly gone."

"Chest cutter. Now!"

Sound of ribs cracking... Vice opens the chest... Heart exposed... Not beating... Lifeless.

Closing my palm around the heart, I squeeze rhythmically. Blood pulses through the arteries. I stop after a minute. The heart is still lifeless

"Small paddles!" I say, squeezing the heart again.

I remove my hand from the chest as the nurse places two small paddles, one each side of the heart.

"Clear!"

The heart jumps inside his chest. It keeps beating as the paddles are removed. The electronic sound in the background changes.

"We have a heartbeat," says the voice to my right.

"Close him up," I say quietly, leaving the ER.

As a piece of flash fiction, I feel that I have ended this at the correct place. Readers are welcome to disagree with me.

Copyright © 2019 Marty; All Rights Reserved.

The ending was fine, I would have liked more at the beginning. Who was the person being resuscitated?

On 2/16/2019 at 5:41 PM, Carlos Hazday said:

Nice little example of how perseverance often pays off.

Thanks, @Carlos Hazday. Yes, that's just what I was thinking as I wrote it. :)

On 2/16/2019 at 8:46 PM, Layne said:

I like how it ends.

Thanks, @Layne. So did I :)

On 2/16/2019 at 9:56 PM, Parker Owens said:

Now you can take care of those gunshot wounds... nice piece.

Cheers, Parker. :)  I think the doctor in the ER room was more than happy to let someone else take over at this point. His job was done.

On 2/16/2019 at 11:18 PM, Geron Kees said:

Saving a life is always worth the extra effort. NEVER give up, until it is truly, undeniably gone.

Bravo.

Exactly, Geron! :)

And even when it does appear to be undeniably gone ("Time of death 20:48 hours...") it can sometimes still be worth making that one last effort...

On 3/3/2019 at 10:56 PM, Talo Segura said:

Thanks for the comment, @Talo Segura.

As to who the person being resuscitated was, I don't think it really matters. It could have been the victim of an attempted robbery. It could have been a victim of domestic violence. It could even have been someone shot by the police as he was committing some crime of his own. None of that mattered to the doctor trying to resuscitate him. All he saw was a fellow human being that needed his intervention to try to stop him from dying. Something to do with the Hippocratic Oath he had taken, maybe? :)

Short piece that reminds us how much we rely on our health services and the dedication of the staff, where would we be without them?

A nice piece that reminds us to never give up.

On 9/22/2019 at 4:50 PM, Mancunian said:

A nice piece that reminds us to never give up.

I think we are all guilty of sometimes taking our health service for granted.

Thanks for taking the time to comment. :)

View Guidelines

• Newsletter

You probably have a crazy and hectic schedule and find it hard to keep up with everything going on.  We get it, because we feel it too.  Signing up here is a great way to keep in touch and find something relaxing to read when you get a few moments to spare.

• Create New...