Jump to content
    Marty
  • Author
  • 2,086 Words
  • 1,983 Views
  • 14 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Charmed Life Of Danny Murphy - 11. Chapter 11

Chapter Warnings: None

There was still one worry in all our minds when we finally took our seats for the ceremony. Although it seemed that Griff certainly had capitulated, quite a few people had pointed out that he might just simply skip over Lowry's name when last year's sixth form were going up to receive their prizes. We had agreed that, if that happened, the rest of us would rise to our feet, quietly walk in single file to the closest exit door, and leave the theatre. There'd be no speeches, no dramatics, just a silent withdrawal from the proceedings.

The ceremony started with the headmaster giving his speech. The same pathetic jokes that he told every year were trotted out again. He gave his usual report on the high points for the school during the previous year: sporting achievements, trophies won both by sports teams and other clubs and societies, school trips, number of university entrants. Basically the same boring inormation that we had had to listen to at every Speech Day since we had first entered the school seven years earlier. He thanked the chairman of the Board of Governors for agreeing to present the certificates and prizes, and said that he was sure everyone present was looking forward to hearing his speech afterwards. That got a subdued chuckle from a lot of the current pupils, as what they were really looking forward to was the customary request from the chairman to the headmaster to grant an extra half day holiday to the whole school at some time during the year, in recognition of the excellent work that everyone in the school had done during the previous year.

On and on he went. I don't think there was more than a handful of people in the audience who really cared a jot what he was talking about. Indeed three years earlier, Mr Edwards, our form teacher at the time, had actually fallen asleep part way through the headmaster's speech. He had been sitting at the end of the row that our class was occupying and, although we thought it was hilarious, Carrots, who had been sitting next to him, had eventually decided it would be wise to gently shake him awake, since his snoring had started to become noticeable in other parts of the auditorium.

Mr Griffiths finally ruffled his papers, lifted his reading spectacles up onto his forehead, cleared his throat, and looked at the audience:

"Ladies and gentlemen, honoured members of the Board of Governors, parents and families, ex-pupils and current pupils, I think I have taken up enough of your time. I always have to remind myself on occasions like this of the old adage ‘The longer the spoke, the greater the tire.'”

He paused. It was the same joke he had been telling at every Speech day since at least 1959, and probably for far longer back than that. It wasn't even all that funny the first time anyone had heard it. But just about everyone laughed. Same as they did every year. It was the polite thing to do, after all.

"We now begin the part of today's proceedings where we acknowledge the hard work and dedication that pupils of this school, both current and past, put in during the last academic year. We shall start the proceeding as usual, with the presentation of Advanced Level certificates and prizes to our prestigious pupils who took their examinations last June. I shall announce the name of each worthy individual, who will then come up onto this stage to receive his certificate, and prize if he has merited one, from our honoured guest, Mr Illingworth, the chairman of the Board of Governors of this school.”

Lowry was due to be the seventh person to have his name called out. So, when David Buckley, or Buckles as he was known to the rest of us, was on stage to receive his prize, each and every one of us was holding our breath. Buckles shook the right hand of the chairman of the Board of Governors, took the certificate from his left hand, said ‘Thank you', and moved across the stage.

The audience applauded and, as the applause was dying away, we all held our breath. The headmaster was standing to one side at the front of the stage.

"Herbert James Byron, special prize for Art”, Mr Griffiths announced in a dignified voice when the applause finally stopped.

And we all started breathing again. The crisis was over.

Lowry rose from his seat and started to mount the stage. As the rest of the ex-pupils on the front row were quietly moving one seat to their left, as we had all been instructed to do, so that the next person to be called up would then be sitting at the end of the row, and space would have been made for the person who had just left the stage, Buckles in this instance, to rejoin the row from the other end, a few surprised, but hushed, gasps could be heard from various parts of the theatre. Lowry certainly cut a dashing figure, with his long flowing blond hair and his strange attire. He moved gracefully across to the centre of the stage and firmly shook the chairman's hand. When he had received his prize and certificate he turned to half face the audience.

"Thank you,” he announced in a heartfelt voice. It was probably not noticeable to anyone else in the audience but, just as he said those words, he moved his eyes so that he was looking directly at all of the previous year's Upper Sixth form.

And, as he started to move across to the other side of the stage, the people in the audience applauded.

The applause died away, and Mr Griffiths announced "David Caldwell.”

And so the ceremony continued on its way, as dignified and just as stupefyingly boring as it had been for the seven previous years that we had all been forced to sit through it. Eventually all the certificates and prizes had been handed out. All the boring speeches had come to an end. The chairman of the Board of Governors had thanked the headmaster for the wonderful afternoon, and had made his usual request that the headmaster should bestow upon the pupils an extra half day holiday for all the splendid work they had done the previous year. The headmaster had graciously agreed to the suggestion, to the excited applause of all the current pupils, who still had to look forward to having to suffer more such boring afternoons on an annual basis. Mr Griffiths finally announced that the ceremony was over, and we all made our way back out into the fresh air.

Mr Thomas, my A level Biology teacher, came across and congratulated me on my excellent result. A result which he informed me he had never been in any doubt that I would achieve. I accepted his congratulations graciously, but couldn't help but remind him of what he had written on my school report the previous Easter, just a few months before I had sat my exams. 'When Daniel entered the sixth form I expected him to pass this subject with flying colours. Now I will be surprised if he even manages to get a bare minimum pass' it had read. He laughed and told me that he had written that to try to wake me up to the fact that I really needed to buckle down to some serious work before the exams. I just smiled at him.

Then Mr White, who had been my A level Physics teacher descended on me. He told me how happy he was with my result, and genuinely sounded as though he meant it. He looked at me long and hard and then said that I only had one failing as far as exams were concerned. And that was that I was a perfectionist. I would come out of an exam knowing that there was one single thing I'd got wrong, and then persuade myself that, because I didn't know every last little detail, I must have failed. It was a failing that I needed to accept, and work on, he told me. Otherwise I'd perhaps finish up having a nervous breakdown during my exams eventually. He didn't sound at all as though he was having a go at me, more that he was trying to help me with this advice. I smiled at him and told him I'd remember what he'd told me.

Jock had heard this exchange.

"Just what I keep telling him, Sir. He's a worrier. Always has been, and probably always will be.”

"Perhaps, James,” said Mr White. "But hopefully he'll heed my advice and not worry quite so much in the future. Well done yourself, by the way. A remarkable achievement.”

"I never had any doubts myself,” said Jock.

"No, you probably didn't. But I certainly did!” Mr White retorted with a laugh.

"The cheek of him!” laughed Jock, after Mr White left to talk to some of the other ex pupils.

"Ah now, Jock,” I laughed. "He was probably only winding you up.”

"Yea,” said Jock. "He wasn't the worst of them.”

"He was one of the good guys,” I said. "There weren't many of them, but he was up there with the best of them.”

I was to remember what he had said to me about being a perfectionist, and the possible nervous breakdown, in years to come.

Some of us headed off home shortly afterward with the promise that we'd meet up later when the Dog and Partridge opened and have a celebratory drink and catch up on old times. I found my mother, explained that I was going for a bite to eat with Jock and Peter, asked her to take my certificate and book home for me, and headed off with them and several other of my mates to Greasy Joe's.

Over plates full of steak pie, chips and peas, and mugs of Joe's speciality strong coffee, we told Peter about the events of dinner time. He didn't believe us at first when we told him about the drama that had taken place. He said there had certainly been no evidence of anything amiss during the ceremony. He could believe that Griff would have tried to ban Lowry from receiving his prize, and said that one or two people had commented on his long hair and the way he was dressed. But he insisted he would never have realised during the ceremony that so many of us had very nearly pulled out of it. He said that when he'd seen Lowry's long hair and strange clothes he'd been surprised that the headmaster had allowed him to go up on stage, but that he had had no idea that the whole prize giving ceremony had almost been boycotted. As far as he had been able to make out, everything had gone as boringly smoothly as every other year. It was almost a pity, he suggested, that Griff had backed down. It would have been fun to have seen him try to explain why most of last year's sixth form hadn't been available to go up and receive their prizes.

We spent a few hours with the rest of the gang in the Dog and Partridge. I drank a little too much again. Not enough to get really drunk, but certainly enough to loosen my tongue and amuse my comrades with tales about my time in Sheffield. Peter still couldn't get served any alcohol, but I did manage to buy him one pint, which he managed to drink in secret without being spotted by the landlord. We consoled him with the fact that he would be eighteen in a few months' time, and that, as long as he brought his birth certificate out with him on the night, we'd make it a night to remember.

Myself and Peter headed home around ten o'clock. I said goodnight to him at my gate with a promise to try and get home for at least a weekend before Christmas. Otherwise I'd be home then for four weeks, when we would certainly catch up on old times.

So I headed into the house and, after a few minutes dutifully talking to my mother and siblings about the day's events, I went straight to bed. I would have to be up early the next morning to catch the first train back to Sheffield.

© Copyright: 2019; Martin Cooke; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 14
  • Love 3
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

16 hours ago, dughlas said:

It all came off a bit like a swan on a pond ... smoothly sedate with a flurry of activity beneath the surface.

I like that analogy, @dughlas:)

  • Like 5
Link to comment
16 hours ago, Daddydavek said:

Hurrah! Just the outcome I wanted.  

And just the outcome the boys wanted. :yes:

Thanks for the comment. :) 

  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Link to comment
10 hours ago, Geron Kees said:

Well. A sigh of relief is in order.

Just more proof that few things are ever as bad as we imagine they will be. Bravo!

 

Thanks for the comment, Geron.

But maybe also proof that sometimes the only way to make sure things aren't as bad as they could be is to take a stand against those who try to make things bad... :unsure2:

  • Like 5
Link to comment

I think just about everyone involved in that incident, grew a little that day. 

Well done Marty for entertaining us with what is normally a none too interesting event in everyone's lives.

It didn't seem like Lowry was an overly popular kid and certainly we weren't shown that in the story. So it was more about standing up for the revolutionary hippy culture and freedom of expression. An end to the 'children should be seen but not heard' mentality of repressed former generations.

Incidentally, The Dog and Partridge was our school local too.

What? You think Mr. White is the only one with a sense of humour around here? :gikkle:

And who knows, if Lowry isn't the love child of L.S. Lowry, who painted matchstick men, cats and dogs around Peele Park? Just throwing it out there. It could be relevant to the plot, later on. :yes:

Edited by Bard Simpson
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2
Link to comment

The strength of character of these young men was tested and they won out, thank you for that I'd have been disappointed if you had written it any other way, you teased us enough you terrible man, lol. 😀

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
16 hours ago, Bard Simpson said:

I think just about everyone involved in that incident, grew a little that day. 

Well done Marty for entertaining us with what is normally a none too interesting event in everyone's lives.

It didn't seem like Lowry was an overly popular kid and certainly we weren't shown that in the story. So it was more about standing up for the revolutionary hippy culture and freedom of expression. An end to the 'children should be seen but not heard' mentality of repressed former generations.

Incidentally, The Dog and Partridge was our school local too.

What? You think Mr. White is the only one with a sense of humour around here? :gikkle:

And who knows, if Lowry isn't the love child of L.S. Lowry, who painted matchstick men, cats and dogs around Peele Park? Just throwing it out there. It could be relevant to the plot, later on. :yes:

 

Thanks for the in-depth comment, @Bard Simpson :)

As regards everyone growing a little, I have to agree with you. I suspect even Mr Griffiths may have learned something from it... :unsure2:

Lowry may not have been the most popular kid in the story, but he certainly wasn't unpopular. He'd certainly come up in Danny's estimation lower down the school when he had loaned him his gym shoes the day after the roof painting affair. I think it was probably more that he simply concentrated on his art most of the time, and was more of an introvert rather than having the extroverted nature of Jock and Danny.

My grandmother, who was born when Queen Victoria was still on the throne, was very fond of telling me that "Little boys should be seen but not heard" when I was a young child. She would usually follow that up with something along the lines of "If you've got something to say, stand quietly and wait until the adults have stopped talking, and then ask permission to speak." She was truly Victorian in her attitude, but for all that I still loved her dearly.

The Dog and Partridge was (and probably still is) a very popular pub name in England at the time.

Not too sure about Lowry having been L.S. Lowry's secret love child, but I did say this about him back in Chapter 7:

 There was also a framed watercolour that he had done at the tender age of twelve whilst in the second year, hanging in the school entrance hall. It was a representation of the gasworks towers in the centre of town, done something in the style of L. S. Lowry, even having matchstick type figures representing the people walking by.

  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 10/8/2019 at 9:59 PM, Talo Segura said:

I never had the problem Peter encountered and spent many Saturday nights drinking in a pub when we were all sixteen 🍻 

Looking forward to what happens back in Sheffield, but I guess he will miss all his old school friends, as will I. Just can't get this picture out of my head of Lowry as a younger version of the Doctor (Who?) 😂

I think it may have depended on where the pub was, and probably on the landlord as well, but do remember that I have mentioned at least once that Peter looks far younger than his seventeen years. Personally I was still being asked how old I was in some pubs when I was 24. I remember almost being asked to leave in one pub when I answered "No" to the barman's "Are you eighteen?" question. When he told me he couldn't serve me the pint of beer I'd asked for, and I replied "Why not? You asked me if I'm eighteen, and I'm not. I'm twenty-four," he fortunately saw the funny side and pulled the pint for me. ;) 

As for the Doctor with no name, I was more thinking of a young Oscar Wilde when Lowry's character came to my head (although in both cases they had dark hair, as opposed to Lowry's blond locks). :) 

Edited by Marty
  • Like 4
Link to comment
23 hours ago, Mancunian said:

The strength of character of these young men was tested and they won out, thank you for that I'd have been disappointed if you had written it any other way, you teased us enough you terrible man, lol. 😀

Terrible, moi??? 😮 (You know me so well... ;))

Actually I think the only teasing I did was to split the day of the prize giving into four or five short chapters, instead of releasing it all as a single, much longer one.

Just don't expect every chapter to go the way you'd like it to... :unsure2:

 

Edited by Marty
  • Like 3
Link to comment
12 hours ago, Marty said:

 I remember being asked to leave in one pub when I answered "No" to the barman's "Are you eighteen?" question. When he told me he couldn't serve me the pint of beer I'd asked for, and I replied "Why not? You asked me if I'm eighteen, and I'm not. I'm twenty-four," he fortunately saw the funny side and pulled the pint for me. ;) 

A barman with a sense of humour. You struck lucky there Marty, you rebel. 😎

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
17 hours ago, Marty said:

The Dog and Partridge was (and probably still is) a very popular pub name in England at the time.

I just knew you'd say that. Hence my follow-on comment:

What? You think Mr. White is the only one with a sense of humour around here:gikkle:

I missed or forgot the earlier reference to L.S. Lowry. Not as smart as I thought. 🤪

Edited by Bard Simpson
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..