Jump to content
    Marty
  • Author
  • 1,798 Words
  • 2,888 Views
  • 28 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Charmed Life Of Danny Murphy - 6. Chapter 6

Chapter warnings: None

I woke the next morning with a slightly queasy stomach, probably as a result of the cider I had drunk the night before. Mrs Moseley had decided that, as it was the weekend and therefore we didn't have to be dashing out of the door to get to lectures on time, she would prepare us a cooked breakfast. She bustled in from the kitchen carrying two breakfast plates, which she plonked down in front of us.

"There you go, boys," she said cheerfully. "Tuck in. I'll be back in in a minute with the toast."

I looked at my breakfast and my stomach turned somewhat. The bacon was greasy, the fried eggs soft and runny with uncooked bits of white, while the sausages were almost burnt to a cinder, and the fried bread looked as though it had really only been wiped in the grease left in the frying pan after everything else had been cooked. About the only thing on the plate that looked edible was the baked beans. I picked up my knife and fork, looked at my plate, and sighed.

"Can't face your breakfast?" asked Derek with a sneer. "Too hung over?"

"What's that supposed to mean?" I asked, wondering just what was wrong with this guy.

"Just what I said. You came in rolling drunk last night stinking of beer."

Derek was rapidly getting under my skin. I'd hardly had a civil word out of him all week. I'd put that down at first as probably being due to the fact that he'd had the bedroom to himself for Freshers' Week, and just resented having to now share it with someone else. But I'd done my best the whole week to try to be friendly. Indeed this morning was just about the only time he'd actually initiated a conversation. Usually I would try to open up a conversation with him, only to get a series of monosyllables or grunts in reply. Whatever his problem was, I'd had just about enough of him as I could stand. I put my knife and fork back down and looked him squarely in the eyes.

"I would hardly call three pints rolling drunk," I said in a low voice. "And, seeing I had been drinking cider, I fail to see how I could have been stinking of beer."

"So why you looking so bleary eyed and grumpy this morning?"

"Might be something to do with you playing that damn record player till all hours of the night," I replied.

"I had my headphones on."

"Could still hear it though."

"Well it wasn't all night. I did turn it off and go to bed about midnight."

"Was that the time?" I asked sarcastically. "I had actually just about managed to get to sleep by then. Unfortunately your bloody snoring kept waking me up for the rest of the night."

"I do not fucking snore! How many times do I have to tell you?" he replied, his voice starting to rise.

"Keep your voice down, will you. Wouldn't do to have the good landlady hear us arguing," I said.

I picked up my knife and fork again and started eating my breakfast. Mrs Moseley had obviously heard Derek's raised voice. She put her head round the door.

"Everything alright, boys?"

"Yes, thanks, Mrs M.," I replied. "Derek here's just getting a bit excited about who'll win the football match today. Think I'll head into Sheffield once I've finished this wonderful breakfast."

"You're a good lad, Danny," she replied back with a smile. "Just shout if there's anything else you need. The toast will be ready any minute now."

+++

The next few weeks went by quickly enough. I settled into a routine. Two lectures most mornings, one at nine and one at ten. Laboratory sessions from one till four in the afternoon, except Wednesdays and Fridays. Friday we would have two tutorials, one with our Integrated Biology tutor, and one with the tutor from the Botany department. I found out that I was one of six students who had elected to do Botany. That seemed to be a low number, considering the standard of the course that they were offering. But I put that down to the fact that we wouldn't actually start the Botany course proper until year two, the Biology faculty having introduced the so-called Integrated Biology course this year for first year students. And I was coming to think that there wasn't really anything integrated about this new course, either. From what I could make out it was really more like a series of lectures and practical classes for each of the different disciplines.

My circle of friends increased. Most mornings after lectures many of us would be found in the coffee bar in the Students' Union, imbibing far too much caffeine, chatting, and playing cards, chess, or other games. I became quite proficient at Contract Bridge, a game I'd never even heard of before, feeling especially delighted with myself when I could eventually remember just about every card that had been played from each of the four suits, and be able to predict which of the remaining cards were left in which person's hand, simply as a result of the bidding that had taken place when a game had started. The increase in proficiency also came about because many a round would often result in a post mortem that would more than likely last longer than the round itself had actually lasted. Those post mortems certainly proved invaluable to me to begin with, although I did start to find them a bit tedious after a while.

We had also found the snooker and the table tennis rooms in the basement of the Students' Union, which we would tend to frequent many an afternoon or evening for an hour or so after lectures or practicals had finished. The snooker room was very dark, with the walls painted black, and lights suspended over the tables that needed a tanner to give half an hour's light. Usually we would need to feed it another sixpence before the end of the game. I enjoyed the game, but have to admit that I never really got any good at it at all. Table tennis was much more enjoyable, perhaps because I was better at it than I was at snooker, and probably because I enjoyed the more physical aspect to it. We would have to book the table tennis room at the porters' lodge in the entrance to the Union building. Thruppence deposit each and we could borrow two bats and two table tennis balls. If one of the balls got damaged we would be charged tuppence for a replacement. I got quite good at that game.

Myself and Alison seemed to be becoming good friends. Although she wasn't doing the same course as me, so we didn't actually share any lectures, we would often meet up between lectures for coffee. She was certainly fun to be around, but I found myself tongue-tied a lot of the time. I knew that I was really expected to ask her what she thought of me, and whether we might become officially boyfriend and girlfriend, but I could never quite find the courage to actually say the words. I think part of the reason was just the fact that I was so unused to girls. Apart from my four sisters, girls never really figured in my life before, particularly having attended an all boys grammar school. Also I was probably worried that she might say no to the suggestion. But, whatever the reason, I left things as they were for the time being. I was enjoying myself. I had my mind fixed on a female for the first time in my life. I wasn't finding myself looking at the guys for a change. Perhaps I really had been just a late developer, I told myself.

Over the next few weeks I'd spend some time in the union bar most weekday evenings, enjoying a few drinks with the gang I was hanging round with, before heading back to my digs in Stocksbridge. I'd quickly come to the decision that the dry cider wasn't all that good for my stomach, having woken up a number of times with stomach pains. The obvious alternatives were either mild or bitter and, since the word mild suggested that the drink wouldn't be very strong, I had quickly settled on bitter as my drink of choice.

That's not to say that I ever got really drunk. I could remember that my father had had a drink problem. He would often come in late at night and wake the whole house up with the noise he would make. I could still remember the arguments between himself and my mother, which would wake me up late at night when I was small. I was to find out years later that my mother had finally got a court order barring him from the family home. When he had first disappeared, I had assumed he'd just deserted us all.

So I'd have no more than three pints any evening, or maybe four if I got into a round with one of my new friends. On those latter occasions I'd often just have bitter shandy, which was half a pint of bitter and half a pint of lemonade. I worried that alcoholism might be genetic, and I didn't want to finish up like my father. Although I'd sometimes feel slightly merry at the end of a session, I never finished up rolling drunk or anything.

Not that that stopped Derek making snide comments over breakfast in the mornings. I'd taken to putting a text book or a notebook beside my plate and be pretending to be studying rather than try to chat to him. I suppose it might have seemed that I was deliberately ignoring him. And, to be honest, that was quite true. But I felt absolutely no guilt about it. He really was such an obnoxious person that I saw no reason to continue trying to make small talk to him.

It wasn't until about a month into the term that I even thought about rugby. I made some enquiries and found that the teams had all been picked for the year. Apparently that was another result of me having missed Freshers' Week, as most of the trials had taken place during it. I was told that I could go along to training on Tuesday evenings on one of the university's floodlit pitches if I wished, to see if the selectors might think I would be good enough to be considered as a substitute for some of the matches. I decided to give it a miss for this year at least.

© Copyright: 2019; Martin Cooke; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 19
  • Love 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments



20 hours ago, dughlas said:

Life progresses. Sad that Derek is such an obnoxious person but as Danny needn't deal with him beyond sharing a room it could be worse.

Enjoying this tale.

Thanks, @dughlas.

Who knows? Perhaps Derek has his own story that may explain his current behaviour... :unsure2:

  • Like 5
Link to comment
2 minutes ago, dughlas said:

I've no doubt that there is an explanation for Derek's behaviour but as I'm not in the know I think he's acting an arse. However, now you've got me speculating ...

Is it that Derek is in fact a closeted gay lad infatuated with our charming hero but because of repressive upbringing despises both himself for his feelings and the object of his adulation for causing those erswhile feelings?

Or, is he just socially inept?

Oh, how I just love to throw curveballs in the readers' directions, and leave some of them wondering! :)

Maybe we'll find out what Derek's problem really is. Then again, maybe we won't. Sometimes some of the questions we may ask in life just never get answered. ;)

:whistle: 

 

  • Like 3
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Marty

Posted (edited)

20 hours ago, Geron Kees said:

Derek is a dick. You'd think a gay guy would like that, but in this case, no. :)

It amuses me in a way how most readers seem to have written Derek off so quickly. He's only really been mentioned twice already in this story, and we are only seeing him through Danny's eyes. I'm not going to say whether he's going to play a major role in this story but, as I have already said, perhaps he has a reason for his current behaviour.

20 hours ago, Geron Kees said:

At least Allison seems nice. Too bad our boy missed out on rugby.

Alison certainly does appear nice. But whether she's really the one for our Danny-Boy remains to be seen. ;)

But I wonder just how much Danny is really invested in the game of rugby. Perhaps he only really played it at school because his best friend encouraged him to. Just because he may be good at the game doesn't necessarily mean he should give up lots of time training for and playing the game... :unsure2:

20 hours ago, Geron Kees said:

I am enjoying the story, but why do I feel like you're setting us up for the kill?

I'm glad you're enjoying it, as well, @Geron Kees. :) 

Not sure if I'm setting you up for the kill or not (unless it's Danny suffocating Derek with a pillow in the middle of the night eventually 😮).  Actually, my biggest worry just at the moment is that I may be setting readers up for a long wait before we get to the central theme of Danny's story... :unsure2:

Thanks for your comments!

Edited by Marty
  • Like 5
Link to comment
Marty

Posted (edited)

37 minutes ago, Talo Segura said:

Derek is interesting, because we've just seen this one over-riding trait of being obnoxious, but there is more to him than that. He listens to music, with the headphones on, loud music. He hates to know he snores. And I have the feeling he would rather be nicer than he is, but he's that way as a sort of self-protection. I've always wondered if the two of them aren't both singing from the same song sheet, just playing different tunes. Danny with his not very probable girlfriend and perhaps Derek is leaning the same way?

I have most of the next five chapters already fleshed out, and they will centre around Danny's trip back home to attend Speech Day at his old school, where he is due to receive his A-Level certificate. That means that we are unlikely to see Derek again until after those five chapters...

Edited by Marty
  • Like 5
Link to comment
24 minutes ago, Talo Segura said:

I wouldn't worry about that. It's too good a story.

Thanks, Tal! :thumbup:

Let's hope it continues to be. :unsure:

  • Like 5
Link to comment
On 7/23/2019 at 5:15 AM, Geron Kees said:

I haven't written Derek off. I already felt that he could be secretly in love with Danny, or someone else, or have a secret past, or maybe be one of those people that doesn't know how to be nice to people they like, and just acts like a boob all the time.

But so far, he's just been everyone's idea of a nightmare roomie.

I am, however, willing to go along to see where you're heading. You've impressed me with your driving of this bus thus far! :)

 

It's beginning to look as though Danny may have written him off, however. Or could he be hiding behind a notebook or textbook at breakfast every morning for some other reason? :unsure2:

You made me smile with your 'driving of this bus' comment, if only because a lot of the gay guys I know use the expression "Looks like he's on the bus" when they see a guy who they think might also be gay. :) 

  • Like 4
  • Haha 1
Link to comment

A deft and subtle hint about Danny's sexuality... perhaps a late developer with regards to girls over boys? Perhaps. Or perhaps he's kidding himself... it happens. :)  Another pleasing chapter, buddy... but Derek is aggravating. I'm catching up again. Cheers... Gary....

  • Like 3
Link to comment
9 hours ago, Headstall said:

A deft and subtle hint about Danny's sexuality... perhaps a late developer with regards to girls over boys? Perhaps. Or perhaps he's kidding himself... it happens. :)  Another pleasing chapter, buddy... but Derek is aggravating. I'm catching up again. Cheers... Gary....

It's possible that Danny is kidding himself. He's certainly hinted in an earlier chapter that he has an attraction to the male body at least, but that he hopes it's something temporary. Maybe he's that far in denial that he doesn't even realise there's a closet he could come out of? But the original story notes state that he's hiding part of himself, even from himself. So if it's not his sexual preferences, just what could it be? I suppose the only way to find out is to keep reading (or, in my own case, to keep writing). ;)

Derek is... Derek. I don't think there's any hope he will change, but who knows? Stranger things happen at sea, as my mammy used to say. It looks like Danny's stuck with hm for the rest of his first year at university, anyway.

Thanks for the comment, Gary. And don't worry too much about not reading all that fast. I'm not writing as fast as I'd like, either. :) 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
52 minutes ago, Marty said:

he doesn't even realise there's a closet he could come out of

I'm wondering, given the date this all took place, mid-sixties, was the idea of being gay and in the closet even invented. Was the term gay used or was it simply homo, queer, or poof? This is England and Stonewall didn't happen until 1969, so the time to cross the Atlantic. When you look it up, it is stated that gay came to mean homosexual before the sixties, but I'm not sure that's true? I do find the way you conjure up the epoch absolutely fantastic and very engaging, a great read.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
2 hours ago, Talo Segura said:

I'm wondering, given the date this all took place, mid-sixties, was the idea of being gay and in the closet even invented. Was the term gay used or was it simply homo, queer, or poof? This is England and Stonewall didn't happen until 1969, so the time to cross the Atlantic. When you look it up, it is stated that gay came to mean homosexual before the sixties, but I'm not sure that's true? I do find the way you conjure up the epoch absolutely fantastic and very engaging, a great read.

I'm not 100% sure, but my memory is that the word gay started to be used in its modern sense around 1969/1970. I know I was still at university when I first heard it being used.

I think it was a few years before 1969 that I heard the word queer being used to denote homosexuality, maybe 1966 or 1967.

Before that the terms homosexual (often shortened to homo), poof, puff, and puffter (sometimes pronounced poofter) were the terms that I heard while at school. There was a popular brand of detergent in England at the time called OMO, which would often cause myself and my peers to giggle when we heard it being advertised.

As far as the term in the closet (or coming out of the closet) is concerned, I honestly can't remember when that first started being used. A quick Google search suggests the term coming out may have been used in the early 20th century (From Wikipedia: The present-day expression "coming out" is understood to have originated in the early 20th century from an analogy that likens homosexuals' introduction into gay subculture to a débutante's coming-out party. This is a celebration for a young upper-class woman who is making her début – her formal presentation to society – because she has reached adult age or has become eligible for marriage). Another result from the same search also suggests that the closet term was probably only added post Stonewall.

Thanks for the comment about how I'm conjuring up the epoch. I'm currently writing about my own formative years in the novel, so that may be why it seems realistic (at least to others of my generation). Hopefully, as we move through the decades of Danny's life, I shall continue to recall the different periods reasonably correctly. :unsure2:

Edited by Marty
  • Like 3
Link to comment

I dont understand why Danny hasn't moved out of his B&B yet. Has he had to commit long term to it? There's absolutely nothing to commend it and there will always be another one come on the market, that's nearer or with a chance of better roommates. 

Based on what we've seen to date, my reaction is: who cares about Derek? If I was Danny, I'd have to see something fairly significant to make me rethink my position and soon.

Danny is learning to become comfortable in Alison's company. Clearly it's not an immediate lovestruck situation but those affairs can all too easily, blow hot and then cold.

His approach with Alison, of taking the time to become friends, then maybe best friends and more, may just result in the relationship that has considered but will it be one that he desires?

 

Edited by Bard Simpson
  • Like 3
Link to comment
On 9/2/2019 at 1:58 AM, Bard Simpson said:

I dont understand why Danny hasn't moved out of his B&B yet. Has he had to commit long term to it? There's absolutely nothing to commend it and there will always be another one come on the market, that's nearer or with a chance of better roommates. 

Based on what we've seen to date, my reaction is: who cares about Derek? If I was Danny, I'd have to see something fairly significant to make me rethink my position and soon.

In England at the time this story is set (1960s), the universities insisted that students lived in university approved accommodation when they were in their first year. This was probably a legal responsibility for the universities, as at the time the age of majority was 21. In other words an individual was still legally considered to be a child before reaching that age. The universities (the same as the schools) would legally have been considered to be acting in loco parentis (in the place of the parent). 

Approved accommodation included the university's Halls of Residences (far too expensive for Danny) and "Digs", which were bed and breakfast type accommodation in private households, where the student was supposedly cared for. The digs had to be approved by the university's Accommodations Office, and were becoming scarce by the time Danny started university, for the simple reason that he was one of the Baby Boom generation (the generation of children born in the few years after the end of WW2, after husbands returned from active service away).

Danny can't just look for a new place to stay. If he simply moved out of Mrs Mosley's she would by law have to let the Accommodations Office at the university know, as she is also currently acting in loco parentis. So Danny's stuck where he is for the foreseeable future.

Edited by Marty
  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 9/3/2019 at 11:54 PM, Marty said:

Danny can't just look for a new place to stay. If he simply moved out of Mrs Mosley's she would by law have to let the Accommodations Office at the university know, as she is also currently acting in loco parentis. So Danny's stuck where he is for the foreseeable future.

Wow. That's awful. I'm so glad that i was born a decade or two later. I wouldn't have had the patience to put up with all their crap. Surely students were able to supplement their income from a part time job back then?

Edited by Bard Simpson
  • Like 1
Link to comment

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..