Jump to content
    Marty
  • Author
  • 2,599 Words
  • 2,598 Views
  • 23 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Charmed Life Of Danny Murphy - 4. Chapter 4

Chapter Warnings: None
Danny finally gets to university and starts to make some new friends. It appears one of the girls may fancy him.

The fact that I had missed Freshers' Week had meant that I was finding it a little difficult to fit in, since the majority of my fellow new students had already had that week to get to know each other and start to form friendships. And it had also meant that all the available accommodation close to the university had already been snapped up before I arrived. As a consequence I was in digs in a small town called Stocksbridge, about ten miles from Sheffield. Since that necessitated a bus journey, I hadn't really stayed at the university late any evening before now. My landlady was a middle-aged spinster who was constantly trying to mother me. I'm sure she meant well, but I was actually feeling more smothered than mothered.

I was sharing a bedroom with another first year student, and wasn't really happy about that at all. As a result of my oldest sister having married, and an older brother having moved away to work, I had actually had my own bedroom at home for the previous two years. It may have been only an eight by six foot boxroom, but it had seemed like the height of luxury at the time, because before that I had shared a bunk bed in a bedroom that also had a single bed in it, with two of my brothers. Even with a four bedroom council house, sleeping arrangements had tended to be somewhat cramped with eight children in the family. It just hadn't dawned on me that I might be sharing a bedroom with someone else again when I got to university. And I certainly wasn't expecting to have to share it with a complete stranger who had the unfortunate habits of snoring and leaving smelly socks and dirty underwear scattered around.

But the first week had flown by. I was still having difficulty finding my way around the campus but had managed to find the lecture halls and laboratories without the embarrassment of actually turning up late for any of my lectures.

Several lecturers had taken obvious delight at poking fun at any poor soul who would arrive in a fluster a few minutes after the lecture had started, asking something like 'This is the Animal Classification lecture, I hope?' Indeed one of the lecturers was even threatening to lock the door at the official start of a lecture to prevent anyone interrupting him by arriving late.

So I was actually glad that I had accepted the invitation from John and Elizabeth, whom I had sat next to during most of the first week's lectures, to spend an hour or two in the Union Bar in the Students' Union building, before going back to my digs that night. It was Friday evening, so I wouldn't have to be up early in the morning to catch a bus to get me into my first lecture in time.

Having bought myself a lemonade, and then been introduced to about half a dozen other people at the table, most of whose names I had promptly forgotten, I had wandered over to the jukebox in the corner of the bar. I was looking at the selection of music available, and wondering whether to actually put any money into it, when a voice beside me asked:

"So, Dan, how did you find the first week of lectures?"

I had met so many new people this past few days that I was finding it difficult to remember everybody's name. I turned to look at the person asking the question.

"Er… James, right?"

"Yes, that's my name," he replied with amusement. "You're obviously still finding your feet if you can't remember someone's name two minutes after being introduced to him."

"Sorry about that, but you are one of about six people I've just been introduced to," I said. "And my name's actually Danny. Short for Daniel. No offence meant, but I really don't like to be called Dan."

"Mea culpa," replied James. "Sorry about that. Have to admit I don't like being called Jim, either. So anyway, how you found the first week?"

"A bit confusing. I'm still finding it difficult to remember how to get from all the different A's to B's. And I certainly wasn't expecting to share a lecture hall with well over a hundred other students each morning. But it's not so bad that I'm thinking of running back home to mammy. What about you? This your first year as well?"

"Yes, it is. I'm doing Biochemistry. What about you?"

"Botany. Next year though. First have to get through this new Integrated Biology course they've introduced for all first years doing any biological subject."

"Many people doing Botany?"

"To tell you the truth, I haven't a clue."

"Weren't you introduced to them during Freshers?"

I had found out during the week that most people just shortened the term Freshers' Week to Freshers. That had caused some confusion for me at first, since the word could now stand for newcomers to university, or the actual week before lectures started.

"I didn't actually do Freshers," I replied. "Couldn't afford it. But I've received a note saying that the new Botany intake are to meet in the Botany Department on Monday morning. So I should find out who my fellow botanists are then. What about Biochemistry? That a popular subject?"

"There's eleven of us signed up for it this year."

"How you finding this Integrated Biology course?"

"Not too bad. Apart from the huge number of people in the lectures. Useful though, as I didn't do Biology at A Level."

"To tell you the truth I'm almost sorry I did Biology at A Level now. Most of what we've done this first week is just stuff that I'd already done during A Levels."

"Well, if it carries on like that, this year shouldn't be as hard for you as it will be for some of us, then," laughed James.

"I thought we'd entered a cinema or a theatre when I walked into the first lecture. Tiers of semi-circular seating, all looking down to the spot where the lecturer would stand."

"You and me both. I was half expecting an orchestra to walk in and start setting up!" said James.

"So where you from?"

"Nottingham. You?"

"Manchester."

"Ah! Home to the famous United football team."

"I do believe so," I replied with a shrug. "I've no real interest in soccer, though. Played rugby at school. But I reckon if I were to support a soccer team, it'd be City. My best mate from home has been approached by them."

"Nice," James said. "Mind you, if you really want to support a winning team, Forest will be the team to beat this year."

"Well for your sake I hope you're right," I smiled. "As I say, I'm not all that interested, myself."

"So what music are you into, then?" he asked, nodding towards the jukebox that we were still standing next to.

"More of a Stones man than a Beatles one," I replied. "Into Dylan, The Who, and The Lovin' Spoonful Actually like a lot of stuff really. Not much into Country and Western, though. You?"

"No real favourites as far as pop music goes. I'm more into classical stuff myself. Don't reckon I'll find any of that on this, though," he laughed, nodding at the jukebox again.

"I've no experience of classical music. Not unless you'd class the stuff the Temperance Seven and the New Vaudeville Band do as classical," I laughed.

"I don't think you could call a modern day interpretation of twenties' jazz and dance music as classical music," laughed James.

"Well I grew up on a council estate. There wasn't a lot of classical music listened to there."

"No, I don't suppose it would have been considered relevant."

"It probably wouldn't have been wise to even suggest listening to it to my mates there, either."

"I can understand that."

James had given no hint that he thought any less of me for the fact that I had admitted to being from a council estate. It was beginning to look as though my transition from second level education to third level was going to be a lot less stressful than the transition from first to second level had been. Perhaps that was down to the fact that I was a lot more mature now. And perhaps it was also partly due to the fact that my fellow students were also that much mature.

"So, tell me," he continued, changing the subject. "Do you have a girlfriend back home?"

"Nope. Foot loose and fancy free, that's me." I replied. "Went to an all boys school, so never had the chance of a school romance. What about you?"

"I've a girlfriend. Unfortunately she's gone off to study French in Newcastle. We're hoping the distance isn't going to be a problem. But I'm not too sure. She's a great lass, and I'm worried she'll meet someone else up in Newcastle."

"She's probably having the same worries about you."

"I think that could be true. She's already rung me on the phone here in the Students' Union building several times. Think she might be checking up on me."

"She probably just misses you."

"Hope that's all it is. I don't want her to be unhappy, but I don't know how I'd cope if she found someone else."

"It's no use worrying too much. I'm sure everything will work out. But if the worse happens there's plenty of good looking girls here in Sheffield," I said.

"Suppose you're right. I'm probably just worrying too much."

"An old school mate of mine tends to say to say about me 'You're a worrier. Always have been and probably always will be.' Maybe that's your problem as well," I said with a smile.

"Probably. Anyway, enough about me. Have you seen anyone you fancy yet?"

"Not really had a chance to look yet. I was hoping Elizabeth might fancy me, since I sat next to her in the very first lecture and she talked to me. Turns out her and John are both from the same school. They've been going out for several years already."

"Luck pair. Finishing up at the same university," sighed James. "Pity myself and Ann didn't do the same."

"Yea," I sympathised.

"Anyway, Alison thinks you're cute."

"What? Who?" I asked in a surprised tone.

I looked back towards the table.

"Which one is Alison?"

"The one in the red top. Talking to Elizabeth now."

Alison was a slim girl. Not what you would call stunningly beautiful, but definitely not unattractive, all the same. Elizabeth saw us looking over at the table. She said something to Alison and gave me a wave. Alison looked across. I could see a definite blush on her face. This seemed interesting. I also felt a little nervous. I gave a smile and waved back, feeling my own cheeks starting to redden.

"There you go. Told you she was interested. Started asking Elizabeth all about you just as soon as you left the table to come over here."

"What's she like? You met her before?"

"She seems okay. Met her during Freshers. From London or somewhere down south. Good looking girl as well."

"Oh, she's certainly good looking. Beauty is only skin deep, though. It'd need more than mere looks to get me interested."

"She'd need to be good in bed, as well?" asked James, with a laugh.

I laughed along with him. "I was really meaning that she'd need to have a good personality as well. And a few brain cells in her head. Although I assume that she must have those to have got to university. But you know what I mean…"

Out of the corner of my eye I could see Elizabeth and Alison still in conversation, and the pair of them looking across at myself and James occasionally.

"Yea. I know what you mean, Danny. My advice would be to chat to her when you get back to the table. Nothing ventured, nothing gained, as they say."

"Yea, I will. And thanks."

"None needed."

"So anyway, do you see anything on this that you might like to listen to?" he asked, nodding at the jukebox.

"I was thinking of putting on Manfred Mann's Pretty Flamingo, and Nancy Sinatra's These Boots Are Made For Walkin'. Was just looking for a third one, since it's sixpence for a single choice, but a whole shilling gets three selections."

"Tell you what. Here's sixpence for my selection. Put Out Of Time by Chris Farlowe on for me. I know that one's on there. I'm going to the bar. D'you want a drink?"

"I'm drinking lemonade at the moment. Maybe get me another one of those."

"Lemonade!" exclaimed James, in mock horror. "Don't know what it will do to my reputation if I ask for something as low in alcohol as that! Can't you suggest something a bit stronger?"

"Erm… What are you drinking?" I asked, unsure of what the different drinks were.

"Dry cider. The cheapest decent drink available at this bar. One and four a pint."

"Okay, I'll try one of those," I smiled, not sure whether I was being too adventurous or not. I'd never drunk cider before.

"Great. Here's the other tanner for the jukebox. Meet you back at the table."

I put the two sixpenny bits into the jukebox, made my selections, and headed back to the table. Elizabeth and Alison immediately stop talking to each other.

"Hope you chose some good songs," said Elizabeth.

"Manfred Mann and Nancy Sinatra for me, and Chris Farlowe for James," I replied.

"I love that Nancy Sinatra song!" exclaimed Alison.

"Good," I said, smiling at her.

I noticed she was blushing slightly again. I wondered if she noticed that I was as well.

James arrived back with the drinks. I found the cider a little dry and sharp, but didn't say anything. By the time I had it half drunk it started to taste a little better. We settled into about an hour and a half of general chatter, during which time I got to know the rest of the group a little better. It turned out that Alison was studying Geography, but had been to school with Jane, who was doing Genetics. Hence her presence in a group of biology students. She was actually from Kent, but I couldn't blame James for thinking she might have been from London. I couldn't really place the South of England accents, either.

I bought James' next drink, then he bought me one again a little later. I was beginning to enjoy myself, probably because the alcohol had helped break down my natural shyness in new company. There was probably about a hundred or so people in the bar. The jukebox was playing my kind of music. Alison was paying me a lot of attention, asking me about home and what my interests were. I was almost sorry when everyone decided they had better head back to the halls of residence or their digs. I felt a bit light headed when we headed out into the fresh air a little after nine thirty.

"Ah well," I said. "Thanks for a great night everyone. Nice meeting you, Alison. I'd better go and get my bus. It's a long journey out to Stocksbridge."

"No need to go quite yet," said Nick, a red-headed guy who was studying Zoology. "There's plenty of buses. How about we go and ride the paternoster lifts in the Arts Tower?"

© Copyright: 2019; Martin Cooke; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 24
  • Love 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

On 6/28/2019 at 5:31 PM, drpaladin said:

I remember how much the long commute took out of the university experience in my first year. 

Much of this part of the story is based on my own recollections of my first year at university. And I also had a nearly 10 mile bus journey into the university every day.

Thanks for the comment, @drpaladin :) 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
On 6/28/2019 at 6:45 PM, Headstall said:

Danny is making friends... and maybe more. As yet, we have no idea of his sexuality, but he did seem interested in Alison. Interesting. :)  Manfred Mann took me back. I was a fan, and liked the original band as well as when he formed the Earth Band. Unfortunately, I no longer have those vinyl records... oh... and I used to think the line after 'Blinded by the light' was 'Wrapped up like a douche'... I remember reading the lyrics... Revved up like a deuce... and feeling stupid as hell... :gikkle:  Good chapter, buddy... cheers... Gary....

Thanks, Gary! :) 

We do know from an earlier chapter that that Danny is worried that he may be one of those poofs (or homosexuals) that everyone seems to make fun of. Perhaps interacting with girls more, now that he has left the all boys' grammar school, may remove that worry. Then again...

(Sorry, I'm trying not to give any spoilers.)

I tended to be fairly good at working out lyrics to songs. Although I do remember back in the 80's, when the Bee Gees' song Islands in the Stream first started to get a lot of airplay on the radio, I thought its title was actually Ireland's Industry - until one day I wondered just why anyone would write a song with such a weird title, and actually stopped to listen to it properly.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
Link to comment
On 6/28/2019 at 7:24 PM, dughlas said:

Seems Danny is fitting in. Lovely roomate he's got. I think any dirty socks or underwear left lying about where I was living might just disappear. I was odd I listened to The Lettermen, Herb Albert and the Tijuana Brass and Creedance Clearwater Revival.

Cheers, @dughlas! :) 

I think Danny is just too nice a person to start stealing his roommate's underwear. :whistle:

He might also be a little bit worried what signal might be sent out if the fact that he was stealing that type of male apparel became known around the university. ;) 

Interesting plotline for me to think about, though... :rofl:

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
Link to comment
On 6/28/2019 at 7:54 PM, Daddydavek said:

The long commute and having to share a bedroom are less than ideal and missing the orientation week does have a some cost.  It does seem like he has met up with a nice group, but I wonder if Nick is one of the good guys.....or not?

The long commute is definitely not ideal. Danny would probably buy himself a small motorbike if he had the money. :unsure2: 

We'll hopefully find out how the group dynamics sort themselves out in future chapters. I'm not really expecting any bad guys this early on in the story, but I wonder if it could be at all important that Danny mentioned the fact that Nick had red hair? Does he perhaps have a ginger fetish? ;) 

Thanks for commenting, @Daddydavek :)

  • Like 5
Link to comment
On 6/28/2019 at 11:38 PM, ColumbusGuy said:

Oh my god, I thought I was the only one to think that's what the line said....still not sure what the real line means unless it's a hot rod reference like Little Deuce Coupe.

On 6/29/2019 at 3:17 AM, Headstall said:

LOL. We sure do think alike, buddy. I think that is what that line means... but... what do I know? :P 

On 6/29/2019 at 5:13 AM, Geron Kees said:

You are not the only one that struggled to decipher the lyrics of Blinded By the Light! One of the most indecipherable lines in modern rock, unquestionably. It always reminded me of the grade school game where kids lined up and whispered a phrase into the next kid's ear, and by the time it reached the end of the line it bore no relationship whatsoever to the original phrase. For that song, you could ask 100 people what that line was, and get 100 different answers!

I don't know why, but this discussion reminds me of when I started catholic primary school. Although from a nominally catholic family, we didn't say any prayers at home. At the beginning of the day at school the whole class was expected to stand up and recite various prayers (like the Hail Mary and The Lord's Prayer) before lessons started. Never having heard the prayers before, and trying to learn the words by listening to the childish chanting of the rest of my classmates, I believed that Mary was a blessed nun swimming, Jesus was the fruit of her wound, and that Our Father's name was Hello.... :unsure2:

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment

I have faith in Danny! :)

We all have cases of mistaken lyrics. There are songs I have liked where less than one in five of the lyrics are even understandable, and I just liked the music and the sound of the vocals. Before you could Google stuff, you just assumed that your ears were halfway right. 

It's nice to know what a song is about, and for most, the lyrics are plain enough. But it doesn't in any way reduce a song's appeal for me that I don't get all the lyrics. I do Google stuff these days, but it's just a whim and not that important to me. What matters is what my ears tell me about the sounds I am hearing. i either like them, or not, and the words can be purely secondary to the sounds.

 

Edited by Geron Kees
  • Like 2
  • Love 2
Link to comment

So much about this story appears matter of fact and it has an authenticity that many readers, seem able to relate to. I haven't checked, but it wouldnt surprise me if the price of the pint of cider is accurate for its day (one shilling and fourpence). 

Clearly Danny is good at attracting friends. Alison and James and Elizabeth clearly see him as someone they'd like to have around. Nick, I imagine, is a party animal and probably an ideal candidate, given that's what first year Uni is all about, isnt it? 😃

An all boys Grammar school can severely  curtail the chances to date girls, so I can see how Danny is fairly unconcerned about his sexuality at this point. 

I'm sure Danny expects to become the usual hetero once the right girl comes along. Any lingering homoerotic thoughts will be put to bed then, right?  I just suspect that Danny is about to find out that it is more complicated than that.

Edited by Bard Simpson
  • Like 4
Link to comment
8 hours ago, Bard Simpson said:

So much about this story appears matter of fact and it has an authenticity that many readers, seem able to relate to. I haven't checked, but it wouldnt surprise me if the price of the pint of cider is accurate for its day (one shilling and fourpence). 

That's exactly how much I paid for my first pint of dry cider when I started university. So, yes, the price is correct. :) 

Mild ( a variety of beer) was one and sixpence, and bitter (another type of beer) one and eightpence. As there were twelve pennies to the shilling, and twenty shilling to the pound, that meant one could buy twelve pints of beer for a pound in those days...

9 hours ago, Bard Simpson said:

Clearly Danny is good at attracting friends. Alison and James and Elizabeth clearly see him as someone they'd like to have around. Nick, I imagine, is a party animal and probably an ideal candidate, given that's what first year Uni is all about, isnt it? 😃

I'm not sure what you are referring to when you suggest Nick is an ideal candidate. But as for Uni being about partying, there is a possibility that Danny may participate in that side of university life to the detriment of his actual studies. And bear in mind this all happened in the mid to late sixties, when there was more than just alcohol available to fuel the partying...

(Of course, I could just be laying false trails here..) ;) 

9 hours ago, Bard Simpson said:

An all boys Grammar school can severely  curtail the chances to date girls, so I can see how Danny is fairly unconcerned about his sexuality at this point. 

I'm sure Danny expects to become the usual hetero once the right girl comes along. Any lingering homoerotic thoughts will be put to bed then, right?  I just suspect that Danny is about to find out that it is more complicated than that.

Danny has already hinted (in Chapter 2, I think) that he's just waiting for the right girl to come along. We'll just have to wait and see whether that ever actually happens. And if it does, we'll see then whether he can put aside his confusion.

Thanks for taking the time to comment, Bard! :thumbup:

  • Like 3
Link to comment
55 minutes ago, Marty said:

I'm not sure what you are referring to when you suggest Nick is an ideal candidate

First year  'student party mode' always benefited from a group motivator and facilitator and Nick would appear the man: the ideal candidate for this role. 😉

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
1 minute ago, Bard Simpson said:

First year  'student party mode' always benefited from a group motivator and facilitator and Nick would appear the man: the ideal candidate for this role. 😉

Ah! Now I get you! :)

For a while there I wasn't sure if you were suggesting him as the ideal candidate to help Danny decide which team he really kicks for... :gikkle:

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment

Another great chapter, so real in the way you describe the feelings of many students at the start of their uni days.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
13 hours ago, Mancunian said:

Another great chapter, so real in the way you describe the feelings of many students at the start of their uni days.

Thanks for the kind comment. I did originally write a chapter looking at Danny's first day at uni where he got completely confused trying to find al the different offices and places he needed to report to. I decided to leave that one out and jump to the end of his first week instead. But I haven't deleted it completely, as I may use it in another story sometime in the future. :) 

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Very belated comment, but the mention of paternoster lifts brought back memories!

Enjoying the story and characters a lot... thanks.

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
4 hours ago, Canuk said:

Very belated comment, but the mention of paternoster lifts brought back memories!

Enjoying the story and characters a lot... thanks.

I'm always delighted to see belated comments, @Canuk! It shows me that this story is still attracting new readers! :yes:

:thankyou:

  • Like 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..