Jump to content
  • Members Can Sign Up For Content Notifications

    Do you want to be automatically notified of updates to your favorite content?  Join now for free and follow your favorite stuff!

    Mikiesboy
  • Author
  • 94 Words
  • 241 Views
  • 8 Comments

Rest in Peace - Songs for the Dead - 3. Gord

some people reveal themselves after their deaths

suddenly we want to know them and we look,

poking into corners previously unknown;

finding poets, musicians; our brethren

and I wonder what it is to die?

while our words and music remain,

as do their families, people who now hear the

voices, familiar, painful and sweet, it must be

through their songs their giant spirits live on

I read about you, I’m proud of you

I hope one day to meet you when my turn is come

We will meet, one day, in Bobcaygen.

Thank you, Gord ... for all the music and for Bobcaygen.

in memory of Gord Downie

 

Copyright © 2018 Mikiesboy; All Rights Reserved.

Story Discussion Topic

Open Club · 33 members · Last active

A fan club for Mikiesboy to chat about his stories as well as home to the Drop In Centre Chat Topic

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Great singer, The Hip were a great band. Damn shame. But he was an interesting man, did a lot and wrote a lot. He was a good Canadian, he didn't always like what went on around him and he said so. 

Nice tribute, boy. 

  • Like 4
  • Love 1

Share this comment


Link to comment

I’m not familiar with the artist in question, but it’s a beautiful poem. Though it’s about death, it’s also hopeful. It feels like it’s celebrating a life rather than mourning a death.

  • Like 3
  • Love 1

Share this comment


Link to comment
4 hours ago, MichaelS36 said:

Great singer, The Hip were a great band. Damn shame. But he was an interesting man, did a lot and wrote a lot. He was a good Canadian, he didn't always like what went on around him and he said so. 

Nice tribute, boy. 

Thank you, Michael xo

  • Like 1
  • Love 1

Share this comment


Link to comment
4 hours ago, Thorn Wilde said:

I’m not familiar with the artist in question, but it’s a beautiful poem. Though it’s about death, it’s also hopeful. It feels like it’s celebrating a life rather than mourning a death.

Thank you very much, Thorn.  His death, in Oct 2017 was expected but it was very sad.  It has taken me this long to say anything.  Thanks for your lovely comments. xo

  • Like 1
  • Love 2

Share this comment


Link to comment

This poem made me remember the voice of my grandmother singing, and now I wonder who wrote all those songs she sang. We can be giants or gnats, but what you say here is so true: that some people continue to reveal themselves long after they die. Thank you. 

  • Like 2
  • Love 1

Share this comment


Link to comment
1 minute ago, Parker Owens said:

This poem made me remember the voice of my grandmother singing, and now I wonder who wrote all those songs she sang. We can be giants or gnats, but what you say here is so true: that some people continue to reveal themselves long after they die. Thank you. 

Thanks for your comments, Parker.  That's a wonderful memory .... xo

  • Like 1
  • Love 2

Share this comment


Link to comment

Beautiful poem, tim. I didn't know the artist until your post, but the poem is a beautiful tribute to him. Thank you for sharing his music, so it can live on.

  • Love 1

Share this comment


Link to comment
27 minutes ago, Brayon said:

Beautiful poem, tim. I didn't know the artist until your post, but the poem is a beautiful tribute to him. Thank you for sharing his music, so it can live on.

Thanks, A. They were a small town band, this was their home. They were not huge outside our country, and they were happy with that. So were we. After Gord passed on, band's name was retired. Downie was a gifted writer, we were lucky to have him.

  • Love 1

Share this comment


Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..