Jump to content
  • Join Gay Authors

    Join us for free and follow your favorite authors and stories.

    Mikiesboy
  • Author
  • 4,118 Words
  • 1,395 Views
  • 66 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Sold Into Freedom - 20. Chapter 20

Goin' on a holiday...

"Just text me once you’ve got your car, and I’ll meet you at the hotel."

Andrew grinned as he gazed out the window of his office. He was on the phone with Matthew. "Okay, but does that give you enough time to get there?"

"It’s only a short journey for me to the hotel. Text me, and I’ll meet you at the front entrance. Then we can get you settled in and stuff."

"Okay. Well, I’ll do that. I’ll get moving, and I’ll see you in a few hours then."

"A few hours sounds very optimistic. It's gonna be a long time for you." Matthew laughed.

"I'm spending the night in Edinburgh. The flight leaves just before ten in the morning. I'll sleep or watch some films through most of it. But it's not important."

The tone of Matthew’s voice dropped. "I’m looking forward to seeing you, Andy."

Andrew continued to smile. "Me too. See you soon."

"Bye."

Andrew ended the call and quickly looked at the list of things he'd packed. He double-checked his carry-on bag to confirm his passport was there. His ticket was on his mobile. He zipped up the small bag, slipped the mobile into a side pocket, grabbed his jacket, and left his office. His main suitcase sat ready by the back door.

Maeve was waiting for him in the kitchen. "Ready?" She wiped her hands on a tea towel.

Andrew’s smile hadn’t dropped off at all. "I am. Water taxi should be here shortly. Then I’m on my way."

"I hope you both have a wonderful time together." Maeve moved toward Andrew and hugged him. "You’ve got everything. The gift for Matthew’s mother? That fudge and shortbread I made for them?"

"Yes, I’ve got both. Thank you." Andrew returned the hug and kissed his housekeeper’s soft cheek. "I hope Mrs. Foster likes that shawl."

"Oh, and why not? It's a hand-woven Harris Tweed. Of course, she’ll love it." Maeve looked out the back door. "I think Dougal is there now, Andy. You best get away. You have a good trip and a wonderful time with Matthew."

Andrew pulled on his jacket. "I think we will. I’m looking forward to it. I’ll hug him for you. You take care, Maeve. Remember to call your sister. I'll text you when I get there."

Maeve waved her hand to shoo her employer out the door. "Go on. Look. There’s Dougal now coming up looking for ye."

"Shit. Right." Andrew grabbed his bag, and after a final peck for Maeve, he ran out. He jogged along the path toward the boatman. "Sorry, Dougal!"

"It’s all right. But we best get moving." Dougal waved to Maeve and then turned and returned to the dock. Andrew followed at a jog.

Maeve watched Andrew trot along the path and disappear down the stairs to the dock.

She stared out into the darkening night. "If you have a mind to, God. Bring our Matthew back home."

Once delivered to Stornoway Airport, Andrew took a commuter flight into Edinburgh and an Uber to the Holiday Inn Express. In the morning, there was a shuttle to the airport where he'd board an international non-stop flight to Newark.

After passing a quiet night, Andrew rose at six, put on the coffee pot in his room, and jumped into the shower. Once dry, he quickly dressed and poured a cup of coffee, to which he added powdered coffee whitener and some sugar. He winced at the first sip.

"Wow, awful, but it'll wake me up."

After his coffee was finished, he packed his few personal items and left the room. He found the shuttle just pulling in. He climbed aboard and waited patiently for it to leave for the airport.

When the shuttle reached the airport, Andy checked in and waited in the lounge for a couple of hours. He ate a bagel with a decent cup of coffee, double-checked his car rental reservation, and read a book on his Kindle until the flight was called.

Sitting on the flight in first class, he settled in to watch a film. Matthew had been right; travelling would take about eight hours or so and then a couple of hours driving. He smiled to himself. It’s going to be worth it.

The remainder of the flight from Edinburgh had been uneventful except for an hour of crying from a fussy baby.

Poor kid. They have no idea what’s going on. Andrew no longer became frustrated with upset children. He'd traveled enough to know it usually wasn't the kid's fault. He put on earbuds and listened to music or watched a film.

At some point, he'd nodded off and was awoken by the flight crew, who wanted him to prepare for landing.

"Thanks. I’ll do that." Andrew raised his seat to upright and tightened the seatbelt. He folded the blanket and left it on his lap.

The pilots brought the jet down with a routine landing and taxied to the jetway.

Andrew disembarked with all the other passengers and went to await his luggage.

After ten minutes, he snagged his bags and went through U.S. Customs. When he got to the rental car agency, his car was ready for a change. Once they’d looked it over, explained the toll road fees, and he’d signed his life away, Andrew got into the car and started it. He drove away and parked in the lot briefly to text Matthew.

"Easier to phone," Andrew mumbled as he fumbled with the phone. He tapped to call Matthew’s number. He listened as it rang.

"Hey! You were supposed to text."

"I don’t feel like typing. Anyway, I’m here and in the car. I should be there in a couple of hours. I have directions and everything."

"Of course, you have a paper map. The car has GPS, you know," Matt said, laughing. "Okay. So, I’ll be at the hotel at about two forty-five. You’ll see the drive-in entrance, and I’ll be there. What are you driving?"

"A Toyota Corolla. It’s silver." Andrew looked at the GPS and shook his head. "I don't use these Satnav things much. More trouble than they're worth."

"Fine. Use your map and directions." Matthew chuckled and continued, "And the Corolla, well…it’s you. Anyway I’ll see you at the hotel, okay?"

"Yep. On my way. See you soon."

"Bye for now."

Andrew ended the call and dropped his phone onto the seat beside him. "What does that mean? It’s me?"

He was grinning as he restarted the car. He picked up the notepad from the seat on his right and checked the directions he had written down to the Garden State Parkway.

"Okay. Seems simple enough and easier than the directions for that On Star satnav thing." The writer checked the mirrors and pulled out of the lot, mentally reminding himself to stay on the right side of the road.

The two-hour drive to Atlantic City was a smooth one.

"Traffic isn’t too bad." He spoke aloud as he was on his own. "I’m making good time. Won’t be late."

His belly flipped as he thought about seeing Matthew. "He sounds like he’s looking forward to seeing me. I know I am."

The drive was unremarkable, and the scenery was pleasant. When signs for Atlantic City started to appear, Andrew sucked in several deep breaths.

"Stop acting like a teenager, for God’s sake." He chuckled at himself. "Or, not."

Andrew pulled off the Parkway and pulled up at the red light. He quickly reviewed the directions. "Okay, I should be there very soon, and Matthew won't have to wait too long."

Several minutes later, Andrew pulled into the hotel's drive-in entrance. He saw Matthew waiting and pulled over to stop.

Matthew grinned broadly and walked over to the car. The window opened, and he bent to peer at the driver. "Hey! You made it okay."

"That I did." Andrew began gathering the few things he had on the seat. He left the map and pad with his directions behind.

"I’ll get one of the guys to park this." Matthew turned and motioned to one of the valets. "Jerry, can you park this for me?"

"Sure, Matt. Be right there."

Jerry gave Andrew a receipt. "Here you go, and you can use the app as well.

Instructions are in the room if you’d like to try it. Otherwise, you can just call us."

The valet removed the luggage and walked to the driver’s side.

"Here you go, thank you." Andrew handed the young man a folded bill.

Jerry accepted and pocketed it. He blinked as he hadn't expected Andrew's English/Scottish accent. "Thank you, sir. Enjoy your stay. Let us know if you need anything." With that, he got into the Toyota and drove it away.

Andrew turned to Matt. "They’re very good."

"They are." Matthew gazed at his guest. "It’s so good to see you, Andy."

"It’s good to see you." Andrew smiled and desperately wanted to pull his friend into a bear hug. Best not. Maybe he’s not ready for that yet. I don’t want to freak him out.

A bellman arrived with a luggage trolley. "May I take these for you, sir?"

"Yes, please." Andrew smiled. "I’ll follow you to the front desk."

"Yes, sir." The bellman quickly loaded Andrew’s few bags and moved past Matthew into the hotel.

Matthew gestured toward the automatic door and said, "Shall we?"

"Let’s!" Andrew joined Matthew and entered the hotel.

Matt gestured at the front desk area. "They are installing some new computers and things. I think it will let them streamline the check-in and out process somehow."

Andy nodded. "Interesting."

Having arrived at the front desk, Andy offered the clerk his passport and credit card. She deftly handled his check-in.

"That’s everything, Mr. MacCabe. It’s a pleasure to have you stay with us. Please follow the bellman. He’ll take you to your room," the Front Desk Clerk, Barbara Wendell, said. She looked over at the waiting bellman with his trolley. "Please see Mr. MacCabe to seven-oh-one."

"Yes, ma’am."

Once on the seventh floor, the bellman led them to the room. He unlocked the door and gave the electronic key to Andrew. He quickly showed Andrew the bathroom and other available amenities and moved to leave. Andrew stopped him and handed the young man his tip.

"Thank you very much."

"Thank you, sir. Enjoy your stay."

Andrew smiled. "I’m sure I will." He closed the door as the young man walked away.

Turning back into the room, Andrew said. "This is a nice place. Do you like working here?"

Matthew had sat on a chair at the small table in a corner near the floor-to-ceiling windows. "Yeah, it's okay. They're nice and pretty easygoing. Money is pretty good."

"Good. I’m glad." Andrew dropped into the other chair. "Maeve sends her love and some fudge I have packed somewhere. She thinks you need to fatten up."

Matthew laughed. "Thanks. I think I’ve gained some weight, but I think it’s mostly muscle. I drag around heavy equipment here."

Andrew cocked his head. "You look good, Matt. Healthier, for sure. And happier, too."

A big sigh left Matthew’s mouth. "I am. I’ve got a good therapist. I’m working through things." Matthew got to his feet. "Do you want to get out of here? Stretch your legs?"

"Sure. I’d love to see some of the boardwalk and the sea."

"Okay. I told Mom we’d stay out for dinner tonight. She’s nervous about meeting you." Matthew wrung his hands together. "It’ll give her more time to calm down."

"Whatever is best for you two. Please tell her I’m no big deal." Andrew smiled. "I don’t need anything more than a cup of tea or coffee."

"Well, she knows you’re a famous author, and she’s freaking out."

"Hardly famous, but I hope she’ll be able to relax." Andrew checked his pockets and added his key. "Come on. I hope there’s somewhere we can get a drink and a meal. I’ll be ready for both."

Matthew followed Andrew out the door. "Yeah, there are some nice casual spots we can find both in."

"Perfect."

The pair walked side-by-side along the boardwalk. They stopped to watch the ocean and to peer into various store windows.

"You'll need to take some of the famous saltwater taffy back to Maeve," Matthew said as they watched a woman wrapping and bagging the delicious treat.

"I’ll make sure I do." Andrew turned to smile at Matthew. "Do you eat this?"

Matthew grinned. "Yeah, I do. I like it."

They moved away from the store window and walked on.

"Sometimes, well mostly, after I finish with the therapist, I walk here. And I stop to buy a small bag of taffy. It’s sort of a ritual now."

"Then what?"

Matthew chuckled. "Well, then I sit and watch the ocean. I like to close my eyes, breathe in the salt air, and eat a piece or two. The rest I take home and give it to Mom or I eat it during the week."

"That sounds like a nice thing to be doing. There’s something calming about watching the water."

"Yeah." Matthew felt restless. "You ready to grab a drink?"

"Aye, sure. If you are."

"I am. I thought we could go to the Irish Pub.

Andrew smiled. "It’s been a few years since I’ve been to an Irish Pub. Let’s go."

Once they were seated at a table in the bar and their waitress had confirmed that their food could be ordered and consumed there and that drinks could be delivered, the two began to talk.

Andrew looked around. "This is a great pub! Honestly, didn’t think that could happen over here."

"You’re a snob, Andy." Matthew sipped his ale and laughed.

The author joined in the laughter. He sat back and gazed at the memorabilia covering the walls and ceiling. "What a great place!"

"It’s fun. It can get a bit rowdy, but I like it here."

"Would your mom?"

Matthew’s eyes widened. "No. It’s not her thing. Why?"

Sitting forward, Andrew lifted his pint glass and drank. "I was thinking maybe if we took her out for dinner, she’d be less anxious. She’d not have to worry about serving me anything, or cleaning…that kind of thing."

"Not sure that would help, but thanks for the offer. I’ll help her with the chores and cooking."

"I’m sure she’ll appreciate it." Andrew took another drink. "What does she make that’s always successful?"

"She makes this stuffed steak thing with onions, and peppers. It’s fantastic."

"Ask her to make that. It sounds delicious."

Matthew nodded. "I’ll suggest it. Speaking of food, I’m starving. Do you want to order? The crab cake platter here is amazing, and so are the fish and chips."

"Order both, we’ll share." Andrew closed his eyes briefly. "Sorry, I just assume everyone likes to share. It’s totally fine if you’re not into that."

Matthew laughed. The alcohol was helping him relax. "Sharing is good as long as I don’t have to lick your fingers."

Andrew's eyes widened. "No, I promise that won’t be happening."

With another big grin, Matthew waved at their server.

A few hours later, they left the Irish Pub laughing, full of good food, and slightly drunk. They walked back along the boardwalk to the hotel.

It was dark, but the boardwalk was bright. They joined fellow revelers spilling out of bars and restaurants, heading to hotels or other nighttime hot spots.

"Bunch of drunks." Matthew giggled and leaned on Andrew.

"I think we’re part of that bunch." Andrew threw his left arm over Matthew’s shoulders. "Don’t fall down, Matty."

"I am not that drunk, thank you." Matthew leaned harder.

It was Andrew’s turn to laugh. "No, that’s why you just said, shank you!"

"Shh. I will take you to your room cuz I am a gentleman. Then I’ll go home."

"You can stay over."

They arrived at the hotel and now stood in the small garden.

Matthew’s visage turned serious. "I … is that what you came here for?"

"What? I came here to visit you. What do you think…" Andrew’s eyes widened as he realized. "Oh. Matty, no. I’m not here for that. I just meant you can stay in the other bed. I’m sorry if—"

"Shit. No, I’m sorry. I’m overly sensitive, I think. Look, I’ll go. I’ll see you tomorrow."

Andrew reached out and put his hand on Matthew’s forearm. "I wish you’d come up. I’d like to talk. I’ve enjoyed tonight so much."

"I have too. I think it’s best if I just go home." Matthew smiled weakly. "Call me when you wake up and I’ll meet you for breakfast. I’m off all while you’re here."

"Okay. I’ll call you in the morning." Andrew’s hand dropped away. "I’m sorry the evening ended this way. It was fun."

"It’s cool, Andy. I’ll see you in the morning."

Andrew watched Matthew walk away. Shit. You're such an ass, Andy. For fuck's sake. Of course, he's sensitive about this stuff, and you just blunder in telling him he can stay over! Idiot.

The author made his way up to his room. After a shower, he crawled into bed and passed out in front of CNN news.

It was later than he’d hoped when Andrew woke. He rolled over in the large bed and grabbed his phone. "Shit, shit, shit!" Pulling himself up, he tapped on Matthew. He held the phone to his ear.

"Hey, good afternoon, sleepy!"

"Sorry, Matt. I just slept right through my alarm."

"No problem. I’ll walk over, and we can decide what you’d like to do."

Andrew smiled. "Great. I’ll jump in the shower. Do you want to come up, or shall I meet you down in the lobby?"

"Let’s do the lobby say in forty-five minutes?"

"Sounds great. See you soon."

"Okay. Bye."

Matthew put the phone in his pocket and joined his mother in the living room. "I’m gonna leave soon, Mom. Can I do anything before I go?"

Gwen had been reading one of her Harlequin Romances. She dog-eared the page and closed the book. "No, but can you and your friend decide which night you'd like to come here for dinner?"

"Sure, of course."

"Thanks. What do you think I should cook? I better not try anything new."

Matthew sat down on the sofa next to his mother. "I think you should cook that amazing stuffed steak that you make. It's so good. Andy will love it."

Flushing from the compliment, Gwen said, "D’ya think he would? It is tasty."

"He would. I know what he eats, so he’d really like that." Matthew smiled at his mom. "I think we should make date squares for dessert. You and me. Like we used to, remember?"

"Date squares? That’s not very fancy." Gwen rubbed the shiny cover of the paperback.

"We’ll add some of that deluxe vanilla ice cream." Matthew placed his left hand over his mother’s. "And anyway, Andy isn’t into fancy. He’s very down-to-earth and will be happy with whatever we make for him. He just wants a nice home-cooked meal."

Gwen smiled. "Okay. We’ll make the date squares. I need a couple of days’ notice."

"Let’s say, Wednesday then? How’s that?"

"That would be great."

"Okay. Write down all the things you need. I’ll buy it all." Matthew kissed his mom’s cheek. "On Tuesday night, we can make the squares and prep anything that would help for making dinner the next day. I’ll clean the whole house on Wednesday as well. All you need to do is make the main meal." Matthew looked at his mom, hoping that she wasn’t getting overwhelmed. "How does that sound? Please tell me if you think of anything else or if you’re worried. I’ll be here to help, okay?"

"Oh, Mattie. Am I that bad?"

Matthew squeezed her hand. Her words softened his heart. "Ma, you’re not bad. Sometimes, though, things seem to get to you. I just want you to know you can lean on me. I don’t want this to be a big deal or put you out. Andy is a very kind, sweet guy. He came to visit me, and he just wants to meet my family. He doesn’t like fuss."

"Okay. Well, I’ll write the list so you can shop on Tuesday. Then we’ll make the squares. And do prep for the next day. Actually, I can make up the steaks and then they only need cooking on Wednesday."

Smiling, Matthew nodded. "That sounds great. This dinner will go well because of this little planning session."

Gwen joined her son with a smile of her own. "This is good. We’ll need wine as well." Gwen rose and walked toward the kitchen. "I’ll get the list and start now. You and Andy have a nice day, okay?"

Taking the hint, Matthew got up and headed to the front door. "I love you, Ma. See you later."

A few minutes later, Matthew sat in the lobby facing the elevators while waiting for Andrew. His daydreams were filled with images of Windy Island and its stunted pines.

"Hey, you with me, Matt?"

The voice roused Matthew from his thoughts. He rose quickly. "Andrew, sorry. I'm not sure where I was then." He grinned sheepishly. Are you okay, Andy?"

Smiling, Andrew nodded. "I’m doing great. So, I vote you let me take you out for breakfast or lunch, and then we can take a walk on the beach. Then, maybe you can think of a couple of tourist-type places we can head to. What do you think?"

"I think that sounds like fun."

Over brunch, the two discussed local hot spots to visit and politics. When coffee was served and the dishes were removed, Matthew brought up the visit to his home.

Replacing his mug on the table, he said, "So, I think I should tell you a bit about my mother."

What does that mean? Andy gripped the handle of his mug. "Sure. Is she okay with me coming over? Honestly, if dinner is too much, I can come for a cup of coffee. I don’t want to put her out."

"No, no. It's nothing like that." Matthew sat up a bit straighter in the leatherette-covered booth. "No, she's always been an anxious person, you know? She was better when my dad was around, but since he passed, she's struggled."

"I’m sorry to hear that."

"She wants to make us dinner. I’m gonna buy all the ingredients tomorrow and then help her make dessert and clean up, and she'll make the main part of the meal." Matthew smiled. "She’s looking forward to meeting her favourite author. Well, one of them."

"She likes to read?"

"Yeah, she does. Not always the greatest literature, but she reads." Matt grinned. "She loves your Doc Silverwood stories."

"That’s kind of her. I’m glad she likes them." Andrew smiled. "I will write more of those, they are popular and well, if you want to make money as a writer, then you need to write what people want to read. At least some of the time."

"What’s that mean; some of the time?" Matthew leaned forward.

"People like what they like. Like Doc Silverwood, for example. They sell like mad because the audience loves them. Sometimes, though, it's nice to write something else."

"What’s wrong with that?"

Andrew fiddled with his coffee cup. "What’s wrong is that it’s different and not what was expected. If you’re lucky the book isn’t panned completely, sometimes your readers will follow you, other times not so much."

"Was the book about trafficking panned?"

"Yes, to some extent but it was never meant for my usual audience, though some of them bought it." He chuckled humorlessly. "Then they wrote to me to complain that it's not what I usually write."

Matthew sat back and gazed at Andy. "Does that bother you?"

"It did at first, until I figured it out. Once I determined why, I could just thank them for buying the book, therefore helping the cause which made them feel better. I also let them know more of what they really want is on the way."

"Seems like you have to compromise your art to make money."

"All artists do. You have to if you want to make money from your art." Andrew smiled. "Either that or you work at another job, which is fine too. It’s up to each person to determine that."

The pair sat quietly for a few minutes until Andrew said, "I’ll pay the bill, and then you can take me to that lighthouse you told me about."

Matthew smiled.

****

Well, here we are, chapter 20. Let me know what you think. The next chapter will be posted on Wednesday.
@kbois and @Reader1810, thanks to both of you for all your hard work!  :) ❣️
Copyright © 2024 Mikiesboy; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 7
  • Love 29
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Story Discussion Topic

You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments




View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..