Jump to content
  • Join Gay Authors

    Join us for free and follow your favorite authors and stories.

    Mikiesboy
  • Author
  • 3,650 Words
  • 1,662 Views
  • 58 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Sold Into Freedom - 10. Chapter 10

Time marches on ...

The book tour for Stolen Lives started a month after publication and lasted three months. Andrew slogged around several continents, including the UK, North America, and Australia, with brief stops in Africa and Europe as he completed the tour. After landing in Edinburgh, he'd caught a connecting flight. He now looked out of the window as the plane started its approach to Stornoway Airport.

He closed his eyes for a moment and let his thoughts whirl. It'll be good to be back home. I'll call Mum and Dad when I get back to the island. I'll arrange a visit because I must meet with Eileen about my next book. I'll call Kyle as well, then go and visit him and Stephanie. I need to see friends more often too. And Tony … I need to sort things out with him. It's been way too long. It probably would have been good to stay and get it done, but I want to go home for a few days first.

Maeve surprised him by being at the airport. They'd arranged to meet at the dock. He hugged and kissed her.

"You didn't need to meet me here."

She smiled. "Warmer here than by the water!"

They chatted as a taxi took them to the dock. Andrew told her about some funny moments at the book signings.

"…and then she slammed the book back onto the table and said, "Well, if it's not a Doc Silverwood story, I'm not fecking buying it!" She turned on her heel and left, parting the crowd like Moses and the Red Sea!"

"Good Lord! And you'd already signed it for her?"

"She'd paid for it. Poor woman. Her friend took it with her. The friend kept apologizing," Andrew said. He sighed and was quiet for a moment. "Because it's not what many people expected from me; the mood is different for this book, of course."

"It's bound to be, I suppose. Is it selling well? I mean non-fiction doesn't seem to appeal to as many people." Maeve looked at Andrew. "It's not a happy topic, is it?"

"No, it's not happy. There are some happy endings but that's rare and a struggle for the victims to find. Thankfully, some do." Andrew smiled at his housekeeper and friend. "Did you manage to get through it, the book? Don't worry if not, I understand."

"Cheeky!" She reached over and gave him a whack on the arm. "Aye, I've managed to read it. It's not just dry facts, is it? You did well to keep it interesting."

"Thank you. It won't sell as much as my other stuff, but it's doing okay. Even though writing it took half a year with all my notes and outlines, I'm glad I wrote it." As the taxi slowed to a stop, Andrew leaned forward to pay the driver. "Thanks."

He helped Maeve out of the taxi and hauled his cases from the boot. Maeve carried a large zippered tote bag he'd also had with him. Together, they walked down to the dock and their boat.

Finally, back home, Andrew unpacked, and Maeve put the kettle on. The sea around the islands had been choppy, and the wind was cold.

In the warm kitchen, Andrew sat at the table with Maeve. "It's good to be back."

"Aye. It's good to have you home again." The housekeeper put out some Dundee cake and some sharp old cheddar cheese.

Andrew put a package on the table. "I know you're not keen on jewelry, so I hope you like this. It's from Morocco … a pashmina. It's silk and pashmina wool."

Maeve was flustered as she always was when Andrew brought her gifts. "A pashmina and made of silk too. You're too good to me, Andrew, but you shouldn't. I'm your employee."

Used to her blustery ways, the writer smiled at her. "You deserve it and much more. I'm grateful for all that you do, and your friendship and support."

Maeve carefully unwrapped the delicate paper. She picked up the beautiful handmade wrap. "Oh my, this is so fine and soft. It's lovely and in my favourite shade of green! Thank you."

They told me it was the finest cashmere and very warm as well." He grinned as he watched her handle the beautiful fabric. "I'm glad you like it."

The housekeeper ran her hands over the precious gift and then wrapped it around herself. "It's wonderful. Thank you." She removed the shawl, folded it carefully, and rewrapped the paper around it. "Now, let me pour the tea."

After their refreshments, Andrew went to his room to finish unpacking and then to his office to review all his correspondence.

He opened all the letters he'd received by mail and sorted it all. Maeve opened and paid the bills that arrived in the post. He always had some time to deal with his email on the road.

Once everything was sorted into piles, he retrieved a pad and pencil and listened to the voicemail from his landline. When Andrew completed that, there was a list of names, phone numbers, and a reason for the call.

One name appeared on this list, his email and mobile phone messages: Tony.

Andrew sat back in his comfortable office chair. I need to sort this thing out with Tony before I get into writing again. I cannot keep putting it off. Not fair to him or me. Yeah, I need to deal with him, but first, let's see if Mum and Dad would like me to visit.

He picked up the handset for the landline and entered his parents' phone number.

"MacCabe residence."

"Mum? It's me. I'm home." He grinned as his mother squealed and shouted for his father.

"How are you? How did it go?"

"I'm good. Tired. It's a long slog, but totally worth it. How are you and Dad?"

"Oh, you know us. We're fine. Here's your dad."

There was some muffled conversation. "Hello, Andy! How are you?"

Andrew smiled. "I'm really good, Dad. Mum said you're both fine."

"Yes, same as always. How was the tour?"

"Tiring. I am so ready to sleep in my own bed." Andrew pushed his hair back. "I have some business in the city I need to come in for. Can I impose on you two again?"

There was a brief silence. "Well … um … just a moment while I talk to your mother."

Andrew rolled his eyes and leaned back. He is pulling my chain.

"Well, I've spoken to your mother. She said we can accommodate you for a couple days." Robert chuckled. "Of course, you can stay here. When are you arriving?"

"Would the day after tomorrow be too soon? I'm sorry, Dad."

"What's that Wednesday? No, that's fine. Plan to stay until Monday, or longer if you need to. Esme and Derrick will visit on Saturday. When did you last see your sister?"

"Are they? That's great. It's been too long. I'd love to see them." Andrew smiled. He liked his sister and her English husband. "I can set up appointments tomorrow and get things done here before I come over."

"If you need to stay longer, just know it's fine," Robert repeated.

"Thanks, Dad. Kiss Mum for me. I'll see you Wednesday afternoon."

"Are you flying over?"

"I was thinking I'd take the ferry. It'll let me work, but there's the drive afterwards. I'll likely end up flying over to save time."

"You'd have to rent a car and drive four hours if you take the ferry. Flying really is the better option, son. Text me the time and I'll pick you up," Robert said. "See you Wednesday."

"Thanks, Dad."

After hanging up, Andrew called to make an appointment with his editor, Eileen. He spoke to Kyle, and after a few moments of waiting while Kyle talked to his partner, Andrew agreed to visit their flat for dinner on Friday night.

With all the other necessary conversations done, he turned his attention to Tony.

I need to end it. This prolonging of our non-relationship is stupid. It's unfair on us both. Hopefully, Tony has time to meet.

Andrew picked up the handset and called Tony's number.

"Hello."

"Tony, it's Andy." Andrew closed his eyes and awaited the angry response he knew was deserved.

"Wow, I didn't expect to hear from you. I haven't been worth even an email over the past six months." "Bitterness tinged Tony's voice." You were writing and then touring. The big important author that you are."

"Tony … look, I'm sorry. That's why I'm calling —"

"Why? To break it off?" Tony scoffed. "I think I got that message, Andrew. There's really no need to call and slap me around some more."

"I'm sorry. Truly. I-we should have talked before I left on tour. I am sorry. I'd like to see you, to talk." Andrew's voice carried a weight of regret.

"Well. Good for you, Andrew. I think we are talking. Do we need to actually meet in person? Would meeting up make you feel better about yourself and how you treated me?"

"No. I just think things like this are better done in person."

"Do you? Maybe if half a year hadn't passed since our last conversation, Andy. I don't think there's any need." A palpable silence lasted for seconds before Tony continued, his anger evident. "Nothing to say to that, eh? Shit, I don't fucking know why I bothered with you in the first place. You were never there, not interested in anything I am. It was never any good or any fun."

Andrew's grip on the handset tightened. "I apologize if I treated you poorly, Tony. It wasn't intentional. If all that you've just said is true, well, I'd think you'd be glad to be rid of me." His words were genuine, though he knew there was no hope to salvage what was left of their relationship.

"I've moved on. Met someone who thinks I deserve more than a half-hearted text when he can be bothered to remember he had a boyfriend."

Andrew swallowed a retort. He's bitter and angry with good reason; just let it go, Andy. "Good. I'm glad you've met someone who understands and cares about you, Tony. I wish you love and happiness in your life—you and him. Take care. Goodbye."

There was a pause. "Th … Thanks, Andy. You too, okay? Take care."

On Windy Island, Andrew MacCabe hung up the phone.

"You're off again?" Maeve put dinner on the table.

"Yes. I'm sorry, Maeve. I want to get over to the mainland to settle a few things before the weather makes it impossible. Why don't you go and see your sister for a week or something? I'll be gone about that long. We'll lock up the house. It'll be okay."

The housekeeper smiled at her young employer. "I've some things here that need doing. Maybe I'll ask her across."

"Yes, sure." Andrew smiled. He knew better than to question her. She doesn't like leaving the island overnight. "That's a good idea but take some time off while she's here. At least go over to Skye or Uist while the weather holds. I'll buy you both lunch."

"Oh, that's not necessary."

Andrew looked at the woman who worked hard to look after him and his home. "I'd like to. You need to take a break while your sister is here and I'd like to buy you a nice lunch somewhere. I don't mean fish and chips while you sit on the sand!"

Andrew cut into the tender braised steak. "I'll move some money into your account … vacation pay. You and Mary enjoy your time together."

"Aye, thank you, Andrew. We will." Maeve smiled.

"Good."

The pair ate in silence for a few minutes.

"Andrew, is there anything you'd need me to be doing while you're gone?"

"No, thank you. I think everything is under control."

"Good. I suppose you'll be starting on your next book soon then?" Maeve looked up from her dinner with interest.

"I've been plotting something out. A mystery that takes place in the Costa Rican jungle."

"Oh, that won't be Doctor Silverwood, then, I'm guessing."

"No, not this time. Time for some new characters, I think." Andrew watched Maeve. She's disappointed. Many will be. "It's time to move on."

"I suppose so. I enjoyed Doc Silverwood, but I'm sure I'll enjoy whatever is coming next as well." Maeve smiled. "I'll be looking forward to it."

"I am also. I'm not saying there will never be more of the Doctor's adventures, but too much of anything isn't good, is it? So, time for a different kind of adventure."

"Aye, Andrew. So it tis."

"Once I'm back from Edinburgh, things will be more regular. And with winter drawing in, we'd better start thinking about our winter stores and things.

"Aye. There's that also. I've started my lists. I suppose you'd better, too."

Andrew put down his knife and fork. "Yes. I'll get that done."

"I've nearly finished mine. I've done it this time on the computer. I'll send you a copy, then you can add things and send it?"

"Sounds good. I'm glad you're using the laptop. It can make some things a lot easier."

Maeve nodded and smiled.

The pair sat together, enjoying the rest of dinner and their conversation.

Kanaan had been away from the ship for a week. His absence was a relief to nearly all aboard the yacht. It was anchored peacefully off a small island somewhere in the middle of nowhere.

Ahmet lay beside Matt. "I've no real idea where we are. The Pacific, I think, based on the colour of the water. I'm like you. Expected to perform my duties. Everything else is not my concern. I've not heard when he'll be returning." His arms encircled his lover. "I wish he'd never come back."

Matt nodded and whispered his agreement. "He'll find out about us, Ahmet."

"How? We're very careful." Ahmet stroked Matt's hair and kissed his neck. "We're never together while he's on the yacht."

Matt closed his eyes and sighed. "Walls have ears. There is always someone who sees or hears. They watch and listen, only too happy to turn in their mates to get up another rung of the ladder. They'd tell Master, and he will reward them. I think we should stop."

Panic gripped Ahmet's heart. "Mattie, why? I love you."

"I just told you why." Matt twisted around on the tiny single bed to face his sweet paramour. "I don't want anything bad to happen to us. To you."

"I'm not afraid of him."

"You should be." Matt hissed through his teeth. "You told me once I should be." Matt ran a finger down Ahmet's face. "He'll kill us or get rid of us without hesitation. We're nothing to him."

Snuggling closer, Matt held onto Ahmet tightly. "But you are to me. You've cared for me. Helped me. Loved me. And I love you. I would gladly lay in your arms forever, Ahmie, but you know what I'm saying is right."

Ahmet stared into the sad eyes of this person he loved. Shouldn't love. His faith didn't allow this, yet he could not stop or push away his feelings. Neither religion nor fear could control the need to love another man. But I know he is right. Kanaan would slit our throats and feed us to sharks without a second thought.

Sitting up, Ahmet rubbed his face with his hands. He could smell their lovemaking on his body. It both excited and saddened him. He turned to kiss Matt. Our final kiss. He rose then and stepped into the shower.

After Ahmet dressed, he picked up his phone. It was off. Oh, not good. He quickly turned it on. The screen was filled with messages. He opened the first one from the captain. Damn. He looked up to find Matt on his feet and staring.

"I need to go." Ahmet stepped quickly forward and embraced Matt. "I will see you soon. Each time we meet, know that you are all I want."

Unable to speak, Matt nodded and buried his face into Ahmet's neck. They held onto each other for a time.

"I must go." Ahmet could not resist a last kiss. Then he slipped out the door.

Matt dropped onto the bed and sat with his head in his hands. Then, knowing his Master may return and he could be summoned at any time, Matt rose and washed away the evidence of his night with Ahmet. Tears of frustration ran down the drain along with the water.

A day later, Fazlul Karim Kanaan looked down on the yacht as the helicopter descended onto the helipad. The ship sat in the crystal blue-green waters. He was glad to be back in this haven. He loved the sea and this boat. He only left when he had to, this time summoned home for the birth of his latest child.

More trouble than they are worth, those women. I should have them all fixed, like the howling cats they are. Smiling to himself, he thought of the children. They are lovely things, though. Sweet like a plate of halva and pistachios. Bah, the children make the women bearable.

That he should bear some responsibility for birth control never entered Kanaan's head.

Once the helicopter landed, he thanked his pilot and went to the bridge. The short talk with Captain Norris left him frustrated. Kanaan left the bridge and made a B-line for his office.

Kanaan called Ahmet. "Get to my office now." He made a second call. "Coffee." He then rose and paced. Ahmet has some explaining to do. Why? He is my most trusted … yet the captain says there have been issues. Damn it!

"Come!" He barked at the knock upon the door.

"Coffee, sir." A trembling young man entered carrying a tray. He lifted his head, looking for a resting place for the refreshments.

"There." Kanaan pointed at the square table that sat next to his desk.

"Thank you, sir." The cups and the dish of sugar cubes rattled as the server lowered the tray.

After a slight bow, the young server turned and left.

Enjoying the servant's discomfort, Kanaan picked up the carafe of coffee and poured it. It was thick and dark. He stirred after dropping in two sugar cubes. He sipped as he waited for Ahmet.

Finally, the knock came.

"Come in."

Ahmet opened the door and pushed down his fear. "Welcome back, sir. I hope the trip went well and your new—"

"Enough!" Kanaan interrupted his PA, "You have some explaining to do, Ahmet."

"Do I, sir?"

"Yes. Sit down. Let's discuss this. Pour some coffee for yourself."

Ahmet did as he was bidden. He sat and sipped the fragrant beverage.

Kanaan sat in his desk chair and watched his assistant. "So, tell me. Why does the captain tell me he sent you four messages before you replied to him?"

"It was my night off, sir. I turned off my phone as I usually do for a couple of hours to watch a film and use my computer. The truth is, the film was dull and I was tired. I fell asleep watching it. I didn't wake until early the next morning. So, my phone was off overnight. I am sorry if I worried the captain. Once I awoke and realized, I turned it on and went to Captain Norris immediately." Ahmet paused and looked up at his boss. "It was a stupid mistake."

Kanaan said nothing for a moment. His patience was like that of a hunting jaguar. Then he declared, "I see. Well, it has not happened in your four years with me. Let's move on. How are my boys?"

"They are well, sir. We took the opportunity to give them all medicals and a fitness test. Also, they went to the barber. They are all healthy and doing well." Ahmet replaced his now empty cup. "How is the new baby, sir?"

"A healthy little boy. They are with women too much. I will send the boys away to boarding schools when they are of age. Make men out of them." Kanaan finished his coffee. "How is Matt doing? I think I'd like him to attend me tonight."

"It's not his night, is it, sir?" the assistant winced as soon as the words left his lips.

Kanaan's eyes zeroed in on Ahmet like a predator's. "Is his coming to me tonight an issue for you?"

Fear flipped Ahmet's stomach. The assistant took a deep breath. "Of course not, sir. He will be here as you desire."

"Good. Perhaps I will summon my lovers as I wish them. Too much predictability isn't good." Kanaan rose and began to pace in front of the cabin's window. "Tell them they are to be ready and expect to serve me at any time."

Feeling the interview was ending, Ahmet rose and returned his chair to its place under the table. "Of course. Is there anything more, sir?"

"Yes. I've forgiven you this misstep, Ahmet. I warn you, though. Do not let it happen again."

"No, sir. I apologize and assure you it will not happen again."

"That's fine. Please go and advise the boys of the changes."

"Right away, sir." Ahmet opened the door, stepped into the passage, and pulled it shut. He leaned against the wall and took several deep breaths. Perhaps Mattie was right. We need to be very careful. Somehow, we need to get away from him.

Kanaan smiled as the door closed. He pursed his lips. Be careful, Ahmet. I know you're lying to me. The captain sent someone to your room. You did not answer. I will learn the truth, and you will regret your lies.

****

Andrew returns from the book tour for Stolen Lives and deals with things he's put off. Life and situations on the yacht have changed, and seemingly not for the better. Let me know what you think! I appreciate your comments and thoughts.
***
Thanks to @kbois and @Reader1810 for their time and skills. This story would be less without you both.
Copyright © 2024 Mikiesboy; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 9
  • Love 12
  • Wow 10
  • Fingers Crossed 2
  • Angry 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Story Discussion Topic

You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments




View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..