Jump to content
    Milos
  • Author
  • 1,473 Words
  • 2,720 Views
  • 12 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

die catfish, die. - Prologue. Prologue

 

Prologue

At first, there was confusion.

Then, there was silence.

His mother rubbed him between the shoulders.

“Stop that,” he whispered, his own voice barely audible to himself over the ringing in his ears.

She withdrew her hand and leaned to the side to look at him, her mascara melting down her cheeks.

He shriveled a little more into himself.

His mother had gone through the whole song and dance expected at times like these. She started by telling him she loved him more than anything, hugging him, crying. She was proud of him when he couldn’t think of anything that he’d accomplished recently enough to merit the pride. It had taken her ten minutes of waffling to get to the point.

She held him and gave him a vague idea of how they had found Jacob. The words, burning, searing, etching, pulling his guts into his lungs, making it hard for him to breathe. She had said she loved him again, and over and over and over, and when she asked him to say something, there were no words.

None.

Jacob, his shining light, was gone.

She sniffled and wiped a flat hand across her face, pulling thick, oily streaks across her face.

She asked him, again, to say something.

She hugged him. Again.

She.

She.

She.

The troubling feeling inside of him coiled and knotted at his sternum, the feeling of having to retch was overwhelming. Numbly, he rose from the couch, bare skin peeling away from the leather, the chilly night air biting at the already cold, sweaty flesh on the back of his legs. The basement, his own miniature apartment, was always cold this time of year.

A single bead of snot fell from his nose. He walked to the bathroom, the ground rolling and tilting below his feet as he went, his balance shot to shit. Slowly, he lifted the toilet lid, the faint aroma of ammonia dancing around his face. His sides cramped as hot, yellow bile shot from his mouth and into the water below him. Once, twice, and almost a third time as he braced himself against the porcelain tank and dry-heaved.

He trembled and violently shivered.

“Eli?” The soft knocking sent shock waves through his skull.

He could hear her breathing in the crook of the door, waiting for him to pull it open.

“Baby, are you okay?”

The bathroom tile was cold, unsympathetic. He curled up into a ball and squeezed his knees.

Why? Eli had seen Jacob just hours before, and he seemed just fine.

After a while, he could feel his mom through the floor as she walked away.

The ringing in his ears warbled, chirped, and bit at his awareness as he got to his feet; Eli stood before the toilet on two skinny, wobbly legs.

At the sink, he scooped two or three handfuls of water into his mouth and spat it back into the basin.

The hiss of the faucet was indifferent to his pain.

He stuck his face under the running tap and took a few large gulps, the water splashing across his face. The spigot squawked in protest as he cut the flow of water.

Then, there was silence.

And, confusion.

He stared intensely into the mirror, right through the piece of shit framed before him. He wasn’t Elijah anymore, nor Eli. He was transparent again, another warm sack of meat and bones in an ocean of screenagers. Jacob had come along and turned Eli’s world on its side; he made Eli feel like he was a real person. Maybe even a bit normal.

Stupid Eli, ‘shy’ Eli. The skinny kid, the late-bloomer. Until Jacob came along, people wondered if Eli might be autistic, some even saying retarded.

Eli had never been much for words.

But Jacob came along, with his charm and warm embrace. His acceptance and prudence. They became friends. Then they became secrets. They went everywhere together as a set of shadows under the same soul. Never had Eli felt more loved than when Jacob had entered him, gently, delicately, lovingly. Two weeks without his virginity and Eli craved to be with Jacob again.

Eli had accepted Jacob’s gift, his love, his adoration. They talked all the time. They held hands under the table. They kissed in the places they would not have been seen.

Did someone see us? For fuck sake, Jacob, why?

He sighed. Bit his lip. Tried to look at himself, but he was invisible again. There was the warbling again, the chirping, the strange noises in his head which would not relent. Could he ever be with Jacob again? Would Eli find him in purgatory, or could he brave the vast spaces of hell to find the one whom he loved.

His normally smoky, alto voice cracked as a feral scream escaped his throat. He gripped the sides of the medicine cabinet and shook his arms, pulling the mirror off its weak hinges.

He threw it across the bathroom.

The mirror crashed against the side of the shower stall, shattering into a million shards, exploding out onto the tile and into the shower basin.

Eli slid down the wall and sobbed into his hands, until he felt his mother wrap her arms around him, rocking him, trying to comfort him but, instead, crying with him.

* * * * *

Eli’s eyes stung. He stared out into the darkness of his bedroom as his mother talked quietly into her phone, just outside his door.

“No, he’s not taking it well at all.” — “No, Mom, I don’t know what to do about it. He hasn’t said anything since I told him.” — “I just got him to sleep. What? No, I’m keeping him home for a few days. I don’t think he could take it.” — “Yeah. Uh-huh. I’m going to use some of my paid time off and stay here. The way he reacted, I don’t think I should leave him alone.” — “I’ll have to talk to him about it. I don’t think he’d do something to himself, but after tonight… I just don’t know. I’ve never seen him like this.”

Eli heard her sniffle.

“Mom,” she cried, “Mom, how do I take away his pain? How do I help him with this?” — “I didn’t think I’d ever have to talk to him about suicide like this. Especially being his best friend. I’m at a loss, Mom. I don’t know what to do.” — “No, you stay there. You have enough on your plate.” — “I know you love him, but it’s just a speed bump.”

Rage boiled up inside of Eli. Jacob was a speed bump? A fucking speed bump?

“I’ll keep you posted.” — “I’ll be sure to give him a big hug for you.” — “Yeah.” — “I won’t let anything happen to him.”

Damn it, Jacob. Fuck, fuck, fuck!

He had to know why; he had to hold on long enough to find out.

Jacob seemed fine when he was there just hours before. They had made plans for the weekend — they were going to love on each other again. They were going to go to the bowling alley, or catch a movie. They were going to hug on the couch and watch movies; the thought of Jacobs body heat…

Eli pushed his finger hard into the button, the screen on his phone blasting his achy eyes. It took him several moments to compose one simple text message:

Goddamn it. Why?

He threw the phone away from him; it skittered across the floor.

“I think I could find him someone to talk to. I’ll have to check the insurance to see if he’ll need a referral.” — “There’s got to be a way to get him in to see someone. Even if I have to pay for it out of pocket. He needs to talk it out, and he won’t open up to me.” — “I know, I know.”

Suddenly, there was a chirping in his room, but it wasn’t Eli’s tone.

He got to one elbow. After a few seconds, he heard it again.

“What the shit?” he muttered to himself. Carefully, quietly, he got to his knees and slid off his bed, feeling around the dark floor for his phone.

Suddenly, there it was, a bright square of light on the floor peeking out from under his bed, the chime again ringing out into the troubled night air.

Eli sat against the end of his bed, next to his portable space heater, and took the phone into his hand, staring down at the screen. Gently, he rubbed his thumb across the glass. The screen again came to life, asking for a passcode.

He had Jacob’s phone in his hand, the last digital extension of his secret boyfriend, and he wondered, for a fleeting moment, if it held the answers.

Copyright © 2017 Milos; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 18
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Shit, I ran out of likes. I'll have to come back tomorrow.

 

I feel so, so sad for Eli. This will always be with him. I think when people commit suicide their family and friends blame themselves, wondering if they had anything to do with it.

 

Hopefully when/if Eli's mom and grandmother find out Jacob was actually Eli's boyfriend, they will still be so supportive and loving.

 

Terrific start to your new story, Milos! :)

Link to comment

I'm out of likes, too....such a tough topic to deal with, and you've capture all of our attention with the way you've started this tale! Powerful, efficient writing dealing with overwhelming emotions so well...a hat tip to you!
Really looking forward to seeing where this is going! More, more!

Link to comment

Wow! I knew I was curious when you posted the cover art, but this is an absolutely intriguing beginning. I sat up a little straighter.. So anxious to see how it all goes from here. And I have no likes either.
Very well done.,

Link to comment
On 02/14/2016 09:40 AM, Lisa said:

Shit, I ran out of likes. I'll have to come back tomorrow.

 

I feel so, so sad for Eli. This will always be with him. I think when people commit suicide their family and friends blame themselves, wondering if they had anything to do with it.

 

Hopefully when/if Eli's mom and grandmother find out Jacob was actually Eli's boyfriend, they will still be so supportive and loving.

 

Terrific start to your new story, Milos! :)

Thanks for the great edits!

Link to comment
On 02/14/2016 03:02 PM, chrysoprase said:

Intriguing, powerful and well-written beginning!

Thank you for the kind words. :)

 

I hope I'm able to keep the quality consistent throughout.

Link to comment
On 02/14/2016 03:24 PM, Defiance19 said:

Wow! I knew I was curious when you posted the cover art, but this is an absolutely intriguing beginning. I sat up a little straighter.. So anxious to see how it all goes from here. And I have no likes either.

Very well done.,

I have some interesting characters rolling through my head. Going to be a roller coaster of a journey. Buckle up, buckaroo! ;)

Link to comment
On 02/14/2016 10:03 AM, Robert Rex said:

I'm out of likes, too....such a tough topic to deal with, and you've capture all of our attention with the way you've started this tale! Powerful, efficient writing dealing with overwhelming emotions so well...a hat tip to you!

Really looking forward to seeing where this is going! More, more!

Thank you kindly.

Link to comment
On 02/14/2016 06:54 AM, mitchelll said:

very powerful beginning. i can hardly wait to see how it plays out.

Thank you very much.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..