Jump to content
    Nephylim
  • Author
  • 3,352 Words
  • 3,678 Views
  • 12 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Fallen - 24. Chapter 24 Fading and Shining

Just in cast you haven't been keeping up. Luma is a fallen angel. Serif is also and angel, a Seraph, one of the most powerful. Taz is Nephylim, a child of angel and man; Bridge is a faerie and Star is a dragon, about to be ascended. Sacha is human. Any qestions?

It’s almost eleven o’clock. Where has the day gone? I can’t put it off any more. I have to go to Bridge now. I realise with some surprise that I am scared; my stomach is full of ash.

I don’t hear any laughter today, when I enter my apartment, although there are voices coming from the bathroom. When I open the door I am surprised to find all three of them in the tub. Little curls of steam are rising from the surface of the water.

“Luma.” The light that comes into Bridge’s eyes when he sees me makes me feel so guilty. How could I have wasted a single moment? Discarding my clothes I slide into the hot water and Bridge puts his arms around me, resting his head on my chest. “Where have you been?” He raises his head and added quickly. “Not that I’m being jealous of your time but...”

I smile and stroke his cheek. “I was with Alex and Sam.”

He frowns. “I’m telling you Luma; there is something wrong with Alex he...”

“I know Bridge. That’s why I have been so long. He’s been hurt, very badly hurt and we’ve been starting to find out just how badly. But don’t worry because he is going to be alright now. Between us we are going to make him well and strong again.”

Bridge stares into my eyes for a moment then he turns his head to the side down casting his eyes. I capture his face and draw it back. “Bridge, I...”

He jerks his head away from me. “Don’t Luma.”

“Bridge...”

“Make love to me Luma. Make love to me one last time.”

“Bridge it isn't going to be...”

“Just in case it is: please.”

“You need to preserve your strength, Bridge. I can make this the last time. By tomorrow...”

“Tomorrow might not come. I want now. I want you. Please.”

I can’t move. I hadn’t expected this. I can’t do this. He looks more fragile than ever. His eyes are sunken and shadowed but so beautiful they break my heart. Even in the dim light they glow brilliant green. I don’t know what would have happened if Star had not stepped up behind him and put his arms around him. He leans over Bridge’s shoulder and kisses it. Leaning close he whispers something in his ear and it makes him smile.

Letting his head fall back Bridge relaxes and sinks into his arms allowing him to draw him backwards until he is floating. He just floats, his hair fanning out around him in the water, with his eyes closed.

Sacha half walks and half swims to Bridge’s side and slides his hands under his buttocks raising him so that his stomach is clear of the water and he can lower his head and lick the moisture out of his belly button. Bridge giggles but the sound is cut off when, with his arms supporting his shoulders and keeping his head clear of the water, Star kisses him deeply.

Completely relaxed, Bridge’s body floats gently. His eyes are closed and his breathing deep and easy. Although he responds to Star’s kiss and Sacha’s touch he does so lazily, almost dreamily.

Both Star and Sacha are looking at me and their eyes hold a clear message. ‘You owe it to him. If we can, so can you.’ They’re right. I can.

Slowly ploughing through the water I part Bridge’s legs and rest my hands on his hips. I feel his soft moan reverberate through his body. He is completely relaxed, his head back, on Star’s shoulder. He trusts us completely; is completely open to us, all of us. If we let go he will sink and possibly drown, but the thought would never enter his head that we might do that.

I myself am drowning; drowning in the beauty laid out before me; a beauty that has nothing to do with outward appearance; and in sorrow and dread that, like a moth in a candle flame it is likely to be brief. I am no fool and I neither do I hide in false hopes and euphemisms. I know how likely it is that today when I try to heal Bridge I will kill him. I know it; he knows it; they all know it. But there is no question of not trying, because then what is now a probability would become a certainty and I can live with trying and failing but not with simply watching and waiting.

I find that my fingers are stroking in circles over his hip bones and he is squirming slightly, arching his back to press against my hands. I smile and lay them flat on his stomach. The temptation to release energy into him is strong but I hold it in with iron reserve. If I allow the slightest drop of venom into his body now it would live up to its name when I try to heal him. I feel helpless for the first time in such a long time. Some things about having no heart I don’t miss.

I want to enter him but I know full well that with my emotions in such turmoil even if I was able to raise and maintain an erection I would not be able to stop fluids entering his body and, whilst it would not usually be an issue, this time the slightest thing could push him over the edge and I am not about to risk that merely to satisfy my own desire. And desire him I do. Over and above everything I desire him with a flame that burns me.

I am becoming a sentimental fool. Fool to wonder whether in my tumultuous emotion I could raise an erection. I am giving myself too much credit. Simply looking at him and smelling him is making me hard and I am a creature of impulse and sensuality. Nevertheless I also have some control and the second part of my musings still holds true. It would be far too dangerous to give in to my carnal urges at this point.

Instead I begin to massage him, feeling him rise under my hands and hearing the soft moans that emanate from lips that are now free of Star’s because he no longer has the focus to sustain the kiss. He is lost in a world of pleasure that is as close to the surface in him as it is in me. He loses himself so easily in sensation of all kinds and it makes me smile to think of the many ways it manifests. He can become so absorbed in a moment that he makes it last an hour or sweep away hours with one sweet smile. He can make you hard with one look and satisfy you with the briefest touch. He can be a tempter, a satisfier and a simple child all in the same moment. His is a force of nature, truly a creature of fey but so... so... delicate, so fragile... like a rose.

Slowly I ease him into a state of arousal and gently tease him, making sure he remains as calm and relaxed as possible without using any of my venom to achieve it. I don’t need to. He passes easily into a state of ecstasy simply from the touch of my hand, the caress of Sacha’s lips and fingers which I can feel roving beneath the surface, Star’s breath on his cheek and the gentle stimulation of the water all around him.

He is spread out, his arms floating outwards from his sides and his hair like pondweed; tendrils radiating out from his head which Star has now moved from his shoulder to rest entirely in the water, supported by his hands under his shoulders. Star stands slightly to one side and is bending forwards to kiss his lips, cheeks, and eyelids with soft feathery kisses. He is completely relaxed; completely content, completely at peace; So why am I so not?

Toying with him I lean forward and join Sacha in kissing his belly. He shudders but doesn’t make a sound; he rarely does. I run my hands over his body from chest to hip and feel it tremble under my fingers. I can’t do this any more. One way or another this pressure has to end. Standing up I give Star a very direct look and he knows exactly what I mean, what I want.

I take Bridge into my mouth and work hard to bring him close, very close then I stand and Star raises Bridge so that he stands too. He opens his eyes to look at me, half dazed and half puzzled. Before he has time to think too much I put my arms around him and draw his head down onto my shoulder. I feel Sacha and Star under the water but I don’t care what they are doing I am too focussed on what I am doing.

I am as gentle as I can possibly be and when Bridge gasps and convulses in my arms I resist the temptation to allow his orgasm to flow into my mouth, instead I remain completely controlled taking only what I absolutely need to draw out the cancer and ease in my healing. He is so weak and I am making him weaker. His head is growing very heavy on my shoulder.

I would have gone further, I had intended to. I had intended to finish it, to keep going until the sickness was gone from him but before I get near that point I feel the uncontrollable trembling of his body and sense the rhythm of his heart change, falter. I have to stop and I have to stop now or there will be no hope. But if I do stop now there is no hope anyway because I know his body won’t stand another treatment. But it will give us another day, another day to find answers, another day to enjoy him.

I raise my head, unconscious of the blood that stains the water pink. I draw away the long wet hair and look down into his face. I am surprised that his eyes are open. He smiles at me, a brief sweet smile. “Thank you,” he whispers.

“Bridge...”

His eyes flicker and reflexively I pull him closer. I realise he is totally limp. He has no strength at all. He is not bearing his own weight and what is not being supported by me is dangling limply from my embrace.

“Bridge...”

“Luma; please.” In a daze I pull my eyes away from Bridge and stare at Star. I realise he is pulling at my arm. “Stop. For God’s sake, stop. Can’t you see? You’re going to kill him.”

Yes I can see. What is he saying? Of course I can see it; but what does he expect me to do. I turn back to Bridge but his eyes are closed.

“Bridge... Bridge...” Sacha and Star are calling him but I know he can’t hear them and he couldn’t respond even if he did. If we’re lucky we’ll have a day of watching him sleep.

I don’t even notice there are tears in my eyes until Sacha raises a shaking hand and touches him. “Luma,” he whispers as if he’s afraid to speak and to hear. “Is he...?”

I stare at him for a long moment; completely numb.

“Luma what...?”

I turn my head to look at Star and then back to Bridge who looks so peacefully and gently asleep. I have my arm around his shoulders. His head is tilted, resting on my upper arm, his hair floating round behind him in the water and the rest of him, completely lifeless, dangling from my arm. His lips are parted and his eyes are closed.

Even to me he looks dead but I can feel the flutter of his heart; the struggling lurch as it sluggishly pumps the blood around his body.

“Luma, please...”

They are both really frightened. They think I’ve killed him.

“He’s completely exhausted. There is no strength left.”

“Oh thank God. Thank God. He’s so still I thought he was dead.” Sacha is weeping tears of relief but Star is silent; he knows better.

“Perhaps you had better get him out of the bath Luma, he’s cold.”

Not from the water, I think, but nod at Star. There is no weight to him at all as I carry him from the pool. He is like smoke; his bones as light as a bird. Sacha spreads a huge fluffy towel on the bed and I lay Bridge on it, rubbing his limbs vigorously, trying to warm him, but it was always a futile occupation.

Making sure he is completely dry I lift him again while Sacha strips back the covers and then I tuck them around him, making him comfortable on the pillows; not that he would have known if I had laid him on smashed glass.

I stand, looking down at him with Sacha on one side and Star on the other, doing the same. It is Star who voices the unspeakable. “He’s dying isn’t he?” I can’t bring myself to speak and so I simply nod.

“I knew this would happen,” Star says quietly, “we all did but...”

“Why did you have to do it? Why couldn’t you have let him be, just for one more day? I look at Sacha. I’m not angry with him because I know that he is not angry with me. There is no accusation in his voice, only pain.

“He didn’t have another day Sacha.”

“I... How long?” He whispers.

“Hours. His heart is failing. Soon it will stop.”

“No! We can’t just stand here and wait. We can’t just watch him die.”

“Then don’t watch.” I growl as I storm from the room.

Star catches me in the hall. At the touch of his hand I spin and prepare to verbally rip his head off, but the look in his eyes makes me pause and then fold. I hold him and we weep.

“Is there nothing we can do Luma; nothing at all?”

“Nothing. I can’t give him the energy he needs to fight. I can’t. His body recognises my energy. If I put venom into him it will stimulate the cancer too, and not just that... there are other things... I have been drawing it out, accelerating the degeneration. To reverse that... it would spread out of control and it would kill him as quickly as I try to heal him.”

“What about someone else’s energy? If there was someone else like you; could they give him energy while you heal him; sustain him while you drain him?”

“Yes but...” Hope flies through my mind and for a moment... a moment... but no; Serif’s energy would be far too powerful for Bridge, no matter how careful he was he is simply too powerful and any attempt to help would leave Bridge a burned out shell. And as for Taz, not only is he incapable of restraint he has not yet woken to who he is and what he can do. We could trigger that but it isn’t like the Change, it takes time. “There is no one.”

“But there could be.”

“No Star there is...” Finally my addled brain catches the tone in his voice and I realise what he is talking about. “No Star. No, I won’t do it.”

“This is what she meant Luma; what Astaria meant. I do have to do it straight away. I do have to do it now.”

“No. I won't let you. I won’t take you through the Change just to save Bridge. What if I lose you both?”

“What if you don’t? What if it saves him?”

“Well... it might but... Star, you don’t understand. Even if I took you though the Change and you survived you’d be too... It’s not an easy thing to go through. Even if you came through you would be weak and ill. It takes time to learn how to use your new skills, to get used to a new body. You couldn’t just...”

“But it’s possible.”

“It’s... possible,” I admit, “but you couldn’t...”

“I have to try.”

“No Star. I won’t do it.”

“But don’t you see that this is what...”

“I don’t care. I am not going to risk losing you or it would all be for nothing anyway. No Star, I’m sorry, I can’t.”

I disengage his arms and stride out of the door, out of the house. I turn and he hasn’t moved. He is standing in the hall, just inside the door staring at me with a sad expression on his face. “Please Luma.” I shake my head, swamped with pain, and turn away. As I do I see something out of the corner of my eye, a butterfly? A pink butterfly? “No!”

“You’re making a monumental mistake Lumin’el.” A voice speaks close to my ear, but there is no one there, no one around at all; no one standing in the window. I freeze; my heart breaking. Although I fight a little longer there really isn’t any fight left in me and I know he’s won.

Slowly I turn and walk back. I take Star’s face between my hands and stare into his eyes. “You really want to do this?”

“Yes, I do.”

“And you know the risks? You know this could kill you?”

He blanches but is resolute. “I know.”

“Are you really sure? I don’t like the fact that you have been forced into this.”

“No one forced me Luma. Astaria is a clever lady. No one forced me or even suggested it to me but enough had been said about it to really make me think about it. I’ve been thinking about it pretty constantly and when the time came it was there... the idea already planted in my mind.”

“But you’re not prepared Sam.”

“I’m as prepared as I will ever be.”

“No, I mean your body, your mind. Do you have any idea how dangerous it is? Star... it hurts.”

He pales a little but squares his shoulders. “I’ve made up my mind Luma. You HAVE to do it: you just have to.”

“I’ll do it. I won’t like it. I’ll hate it; but I’ll do it... IF you swear to me that you have thought about this and that you know what this will mean to you; to your life.”

“How can I possibly do that? I have no idea what it will mean to my life? I have nothing to compare; nothing to grasp on to; no yardstick to measure it by. But I do promise that I have thought about it; I have thought of nothing else from the minute it was first raised. Okay, all my thoughts were negative; along the lines of... there is no way anyone is ever going to make me do that. But you are not making me do it, quite the reverse and it’s for Bridge. I’d do anything for Bridge - for Bridge and for you.”

“Star, you can’t do this for Bridge or for me. It’s too big. You can only do this for you.”

“I am. I am doing it for me. I am doing it because I can’t sit back and let Bridge die; because I won't. I’m doing it because it’s the only way to give someone I love very much their life back. I’m doing it because... because I can’t not do it; and because I trust you to bring me through it. Please don’t stand in my way Luma; don’t stop me.”

I let my hand rest on the side of his face. I think my heart is about to burst. “Alright, I’ll do it. Come.” I take his hand and lead him back through the hall, but instead of climbing the stairs or diverting to the kitchen or the stable I lead the way to a small door, hidden behind a wall hanging.

Copyright © 2011 Nephylim; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 6
  • Love 2
  • Sad 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

  • Site Administrator

I was so upset at the end of this chapter. It's one of the gentlest build-up chapters I've read but one that has a reader completely anxious by the end. I find it interesting that the one who said they couldn't just watch Bridge die is the one who stayed behind. Sure, I know why now, but still... Can't wait to read everyone's reactions to what comes next. You have a way of completely enthralling a reader with the character's lives and plight. Sometimes I even have to stop reading becaue I'm so anxious over what is doing to happen :P

  • Like 2
Link to comment

I need to stop getting so attached to characters with a high risk of not making it... I think I nearly cried when Bridge passed out and Star and Sacha freaked out. But he's just so easy to get attached to... But regardless, the tension of the situation is what's keeping me glued to my chair: I always need to check to make sure he's alright!

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Nemphy, you need to stop making me cry. I can never catch up on your chapters during work or school because I am always crying either out of happiness or sadness. The point is my make-up is ruined every time lol. I love this story so much. Your level of creativity never ceases to amaze me and your characters are just so darn loveable!

 

Gosh, Bridge and Star better make it....*sniffles*.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 01/10/2011 09:33 AM, Cia said:
I was so upset at the end of this chapter. It's one of the gentlest build-up chapters I've read but one that has a reader completely anxious by the end. I find it interesting that the one who said they couldn't just watch Bridge die is the one who stayed behind. Sure, I know why now, but still... Can't wait to read everyone's reactions to what comes next. You have a way of completely enthralling a reader with the character's lives and plight. Sometimes I even have to stop reading becaue I'm so anxious over what is doing to happen :P
Yeah the next chapter is a killer :) I'm glad you're still liking it second time around :) Thanks for the review Cia, I know you're busy and it's very much appreciated
  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 01/10/2011 11:35 AM, Sani said:
I need to stop getting so attached to characters with a high risk of not making it... I think I nearly cried when Bridge passed out and Star and Sacha freaked out. But he's just so easy to get attached to... But regardless, the tension of the situation is what's keeping me glued to my chair: I always need to check to make sure he's alright!
Bridge is my favorite characters I have ever written. It's the strength and playfulness that surmounts the frailty. Right from the first time I met him I have loved him to bits. I never know how a story is going to go before I write it and it was hard to take him down so far. I'm glad you love him too and I won't make you wait too long to find out what happens next :)
  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 01/10/2011 12:18 PM, *HJ* said:
Nemphy, you need to stop making me cry. I can never catch up on your chapters during work or school because I am always crying either out of happiness or sadness. The point is my make-up is ruined every time lol. I love this story so much. Your level of creativity never ceases to amaze me and your characters are just so darn loveable!

 

Gosh, Bridge and Star better make it....*sniffles*.

Aww Sorry I spoil your make-up hun. You'd better get the tissues ready for the next chapter. A large glass of something highly alcoholic might help too.I am going to finish posting Red Gold this week and will be starting a new story which I hope will bring more smiles than tears and another character I think will be almost as popular to Brdige :)
  • Like 1
Link to comment

A very emotional chapter. It hurts to think of Bridge not making it...you made me feel hopeless for a while there....I am apprehensive but there is a way...through Star. Very well done. Cheers...Gary

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 11/05/2014 09:53 AM, Headstall said:
A very emotional chapter. It hurts to think of Bridge not making it...you made me feel hopeless for a while there....I am apprehensive but there is a way...through Star. Very well done. Cheers...Gary
Just have to point out that the B) in the last response should have been b ) Yes, there is hope. This is why Astaria was so insistent on Star ascending, because it really is Bridge's only hope
  • Like 1
Link to comment

The biggest respect one can give someone else is letting them make their own life choices, and letting them take the risks that go with it. Luma is doing the right thing.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 1/10/2011 at 12:35 AM, Sani said:

I need to stop getting so attached to characters with a high risk of not making it... I think I nearly cried when Bridge passed out and Star and Sacha freaked out. But he's just so easy to get attached to... But regardless, the tension of the situation is what's keeping me glued to my chair: I always need to check to make sure he's alright!

Just breathe and remember I rarely kill major characters. I'm glad you get so invested in my characters. That's he highest praise any writer could receive so I thank you so very much for making me happy. Aaaand I still haven't got to this new system and I responded twice. Ah well :D

Edited by Nephylim
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
On 12/7/2017 at 7:50 PM, TheLotus said:

The biggest respect one can give someone else is letting them make their own life choices, and letting them take the risks that go with it. Luma is doing the right thing.

I completely agree

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Well thank goodness, I couldn't have worked out most of that. Figured Luma was one of the fallen, but thought they were all nephylim apart from Serif and that Astaria was their human mother. I best just leave the writing to you, your imagination far exceeds mine.

I'm glad I spotted the comment you rarely kill major characters and we know you really love Bridge as much as we do.....right? Because you've got me really worried now not just for Bridge, but for Star as well. Seems the change is so dangerous there's the real chance we could lose both and you wouldn't.....would you? Almost afraid to read the next chapter but like a car wreck I just have to see what happens......

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..