Jump to content
    Nephylim
  • Author
  • 1,682 Words
  • 4,247 Views
  • 27 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

2011 - Summer - Walk on the Wild Side Entry

Runway - 1. Chapter 1

 


 

Nephylim - Runaway

A hush fell over the auditorium as the lights dimmed, leaving the long runway; thrusting into the middle of the audience; lit with muted spotlights. The screen at the back exploded with fireworks as the first models stepped onto the catwalk.

The audience watched keenly and made notes and sketches of the latest cutting edge collections. There were a lot of retro looks they noted. As usual the audience was made up of a mixed bunch from rival designers, to fashion students, to representatives of the major fashion houses and chain stores.

The designs were scrutinised, criticised and plagiarised in the blink of an eyelid.

Tonight, however, the audience was slightly different. Among the fashion reporters, designers and various fashionistas there were a strange assortment of young people of all ages and ‘types’ who seemed uninterested in the women who strutted and posed on the platform.

They weren’t here for the high fashion; generally it bored them. They were here for two things… two people to be exact. The models and super models strutted and posed with the screen behind the catwalk showing pictures that complemented the collections that were being displayed.

For all the attention the serious fashionistas were paying the beautiful moving mannequins, they were also on edge, waiting for something different, simply passing the time, the edge rubbed off the usual excitement at the stunning new collections by cutting edge designers. They too were waiting.

It was more than half an hour into the show when suddenly everything stopped. For a moment the entire auditorium fell silent. The screen lit up with a giant fan made of feathers; black and red, almost trembling in anticipation.

And then a single figure stepped onto the runway and seemed to glide along its length. Beautifully androgynous with long pale hair that floated as he walked and skin so pale it seemed to shine, pearlised by the lights.

The model seemed fragile and icy, his pale looks set off dramatically by the long black coat he was wearing which cradled his head in a nest of black feathers that spilled down the front of the coat which was open at the front and almost touched the floor at the back. Beneath the coat he wore a pure white jumpsuit; feathers of pale blue lined the neck, plunging nearly to his waist and then hanging from strings of crystal suspending from his incredibly slender waist. The look was completed by a pair of high heeled knee high boots with black feathers around the top and sparkling crystals on the laces.

He was like a wraith, his face set in an expression of detached serenity and his ice blue eyes looking at something no one else could see.

Lightbulbs flashed from all directions and, with practiced poise, he held his head tilted at exactly the right angle, shaking his hair in exactly the right way. He was elegant and beautiful and cold. There was more than one person in the audience who had the feeling that if they reached out their hand to touch him he would be icy and would shatter in a thousand shards of glittering crystal ice.

The young people in the audience, unused to the solemnity of such occasions applauded and shouted, rising to their feet as if it was some kind of music concert and, indeed the chilly, haughty beauty who paused and turned smoothly at the end of the catwalk, had almost the status of a rock star.

He had been on the scene for only a few months and already his face was on magazine covers and posters everywhere. Boys and girls alike were attracted to this aloof, unattainable beauty; as delicate as a flower as strong as a diamond. He was beauty incarnate who could make anyone’s clothes look special.

If he heard the applause; if he saw the hungry looks in the eyes of the rich and famous who lined the catwalk, so close they could have touched him; he gave no sign of it as he paused, slipped off the coat revealing the catsuit. The sparkling whiteness was only a few shades lighter than his skin. The pale gold of his hair, released from its feathery nest, cascaded almost to his waist and fanned out around him as he spun gently to glide back along the catwalk in the way he had come, the coat dragging negligently behind him.

There was a hush as everyone followed him with their eyes, breathless, until he disappeared behind the screen. For a moment there was a sense of relief as everyone let out their breath in a sigh. But then the music that accompanied the models in their long walk subtly changed and a steady heartbeat started to raise the temperature and anticipation was almost palpable in the auditorium.

If the audience had held their breath for the last model, this time they were panting. Everyone unconsciously leaned forward a little in their seats. The black fan remained on the screen, only the background darkened so it was merely a shadow. Behind the shadow red and white fireworks silently exploded.

There was a moment of absolute silence and then a figure strode onto the runway and there was an explosion of sound. There couldn’t have been more of a contrast between the two models. Whereas the last had been an ice queen this one was… not. Passion was oozing from every pore.

As dark as his predecessor was fair, he too had the stunning androgynous beauty that could look softly feminine one minute and strongly masculine the next. And there was nothing remotely feminine in the way he was owning the catwalk today.

His narrow hips had been poured into a pair of black leather trousers and his chest was bare apart from the black feathers which ran from the waistband of his trousers, around the back of his neck and back down to the waistband again. He wore the same feathers in bands around his wrists and he was barefoot. There were no crystals or sparkle. He looked like the bird from which he took his name; a sleek, black raven.

He strode out onto the runway with an air of supreme confidence and a restrained energy that bordered on aggression. Unlike the previous model he did not keep his eyes on something outside the hall, his eyes constantly flicked over the audience making everyone think he was looking at them. This effect was enhanced by the fact that he wore contact lenses that made his eyes completely black with no white at all; making impossible to know where he was, in fact looking.

About a third of the way down the runway he paused, posed and looked around. Again an expectant hush fell.

Suddenly the boy grinned, took three quick steps and launched himself into the air. Starting with two quick cartwheels he flew through a series of gravity defying leaps and tumbles ending with a double back flip which left him crouched on one knee at the end of the runway glaring balefully at the audience, turning his head from side to side like a bird or a panther waiting to leap.

The auditorium erupted.

After pausing, crouched for ever so slightly longer than he should, he bounded to his feet and stalked back up the runway to a cacophony of noise. Even the great and the good in the front rows were flushed and leaning forward in their seats.

Not everyone, however, was happy with the performance. The show director was waiting for him backstage and was on him as soon as he stepped off the platform.

“What the hell do you think you were doing? This is a fashion show not a circus.”

Raven shrugged and ignored him as he started to strip off the costume and hand it to the wardrobe mistress ready for a quick change into his next. The director put his hand on Raven’s arm. “I’m serious, Raven. If you are even thinking of pulling a stunt like that then don’t go out there again.”

“Really?” Raven purred. “You really don’t want me to go out there? You really don’t want me to give them what they want? They are here to see me… me and Alex… without us you don’t have a show and if you really don’t want me to go out there then neither will he.”

“It’s bad enough that you are going maverick, Raven; don’t take Alex down with you.”

“I’m not taking Alex anywhere. He has a mind of his own.”

“Maybe, but you know what Alex is like…”

“And what is Alex like?” a cool voice asked from behind him. He spun to find Alex standing with his hands on his hips, his pale hair like a shroud over the black cape that draped his shoulders.

“You know what he’s like, Alex. He’s crazy. You’re better off staying well away from him. He’s trouble.”

“He’s trouble that makes you a lot of money. If you don’t want us in your show you shouldn’t have booked us.”

“Us? Since when did you come as a pair?”

Alex brought the full weight of his cold, steady look to bear on the director. Then, very slowly and deliberately, keeping his icy eyes on the director the whole time he stalked over to Raven, slung his arm around his shoulder, while Raven slid his hand around Alex’s waist, and they kissed. Flicking eyes that were no longer cold back at the stunned director he slipped around Raven and sauntered almost casually out onto the runway.

“You’d better make up your mind.”

“What?” the director snapped.

“You need to make up your mind if you want us to finish the show. I won’t have time to meet my mark if you don’t let me change.”

The stunned director shook his head and then laughed. “Just do what you want, Raven; that’s all you are ever going to do anyway isn’t it?”

Raven didn’t answer; he simply grinned and turned away.

 

 

Story Discussion

Copyright © 2011 Nephylim; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 6
  • Love 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

2011 - Summer - Walk on the Wild Side Entry
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments



Raven and Alex

taking the world by storm (assisted by the big fan! lol okay, thats a bad joke!) :*)

Its a really fun story! cant help but smile at the intensity and the sudden change. :)

^_^

Link to comment

Not being up all that things Nephy, I have this vague recollection of another Nephy story with this pair. If that if that is them, where do I find the story 0:)

 

Fire and Ice, Black and White, Ying and Yang. Without one there is no other. The director should have known that by now.

 

Very nice tease you give us my dear. So unlike you - not ! B)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 06/12/2011 11:25 PM, Andrew_Q_Gordon said:
Not being up all that things Nephy, I have this vague recollection of another Nephy story with this pair. If that if that is them, where do I find the story 0:)

 

Fire and Ice, Black and White, Ying and Yang. Without one there is no other. The director should have known that by now.

 

Very nice tease you give us my dear. So unlike you - not ! B)

If there is I can't remember. Thanks hun, I like your reviews they are so irreverant... if that's the word. |The story was inspired by Maria who introduced me (figuratively) to a model with incredibly sad eyes who's haunted me ever since. He makes me want to hug him and take care of him... such a lost little boy. I hope he finds his Raven.. or Rowena who knows
Link to comment

well duh... two male fashion models in the same show... who woulda NOT guessed? or at least assumed...

 

I liked it.

Link to comment
On 06/13/2011 02:11 AM, Lugh said:
well duh... two male fashion models in the same show... who woulda NOT guessed? or at least assumed...

 

I liked it.

Well these directors... they're so focussed you know :) Thanks Lugh
Link to comment

A lot of Alex in the antho :D Anyway, I enjoyed the imagery of this story. It almost felt like I was watching the whole scene. Thank you so much for this, Nephy :hug:

Link to comment
On 06/13/2011 04:57 AM, jian_sierra said:
A lot of Alex in the antho :D Anyway, I enjoyed the imagery of this story. It almost felt like I was watching the whole scene. Thank you so much for this, Nephy :hug:
You're welcom hun. Thanks for the comment
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator

Very vivid imagery and the impact of Alex and Raven's entries was spectacular. I was literally holding my breath as I read during those moments. That felt like the culminating moments to me though, before and after sort of faded which left the ending a bit lackluster. I think you were trying to set the ho hum fashion show as usual boredom before so that works but I really felt like the kiss should be the culmination of the story and it just didn't quite have the passionate punch of emotion I expected it to. How come Alex has such a mundane name?? I think that was part of the letdown, the 'these are just people' while they seemed so much more. I wanted Alex more haughty, more... more, idk, just something and the pair of them together to be an unstoppable force of raw sexuality. Instead it was more, we know we're hot, you can't afford to lose both of us so we're just going to do whatever we want and the person in charge just sort of capitulating without a fight.

Link to comment
On 06/13/2011 06:14 AM, Cia said:
Very vivid imagery and the impact of Alex and Raven's entries was spectacular. I was literally holding my breath as I read during those moments. That felt like the culminating moments to me though, before and after sort of faded which left the ending a bit lackluster. I think you were trying to set the ho hum fashion show as usual boredom before so that works but I really felt like the kiss should be the culmination of the story and it just didn't quite have the passionate punch of emotion I expected it to. How come Alex has such a mundane name?? I think that was part of the letdown, the 'these are just people' while they seemed so much more. I wanted Alex more haughty, more... more, idk, just something and the pair of them together to be an unstoppable force of raw sexuality. Instead it was more, we know we're hot, you can't afford to lose both of us so we're just going to do whatever we want and the person in charge just sort of capitulating without a fight.
Hmm... yeah, I see that. I think the problem was that the whole thing on the runway was my 'image' and once that was done it was just a matter of ending it. I guess it showed :) Ah well, it was fun to write :) Thanks for the honesty hun it is always more than appreciated
Link to comment

I liked the brevity of the story. No overly long descriptions of all the other models led to the anticipation of the final two, who were fully described.

I really liked the end with director giving into Raven's dominance of the situation.

Nice story. :boy:

Link to comment

I really liked the idea of the catwalk as a walk on the wild side. And you always create the wildest of men.

Link to comment
On 06/13/2011 12:15 PM, CarlHoliday said:
I liked the brevity of the story. No overly long descriptions of all the other models led to the anticipation of the final two, who were fully described.

I really liked the end with director giving into Raven's dominance of the situation.

Nice story. :boy:

Thank you for your comment. I'm glad you liked my boys. This was such a fun story to write
Link to comment
On 06/13/2011 02:39 PM, Foster said:
I really liked the idea of the catwalk as a walk on the wild side. And you always create the wildest of men.
Haha yeah I do I guess. I like my men wild but soft and my women soft but wild :)
Link to comment

I really liked the first part of the story. Very vivid descriptions. The ending was bit 'mundane'', compared to the 'glittering' beginning. But that's just me, probably. Nice story.

 

Link to comment

:2thumbs: You know I love fashion..

 

As a amateur desig.. *coughs* I personally don't like feathers on men. But that's just me. :P

 

I like how intense the story is. But I just don't like Raven. :P

 

I'll fire them. I don't care. :D

 

Great read.

 

 

Link to comment
On 06/13/2011 05:55 PM, Dolores Esteban said:
I really liked the first part of the story. Very vivid descriptions. The ending was bit 'mundane'', compared to the 'glittering' beginning. But that's just me, probably. Nice story.

 

No hun, it's not just you. I should have finished it when Raven left the runway. I was seduced by a desire to 'finish it off' big mistake Thanks so much for your review
Link to comment
On 06/14/2011 03:21 AM, Kev de Cauchery said:
:2thumbs: You know I love fashion..

 

As a amateur desig.. *coughs* I personally don't like feathers on men. But that's just me. :P

 

I like how intense the story is. But I just don't like Raven. :P

 

I'll fire them. I don't care. :D

 

Great read.

 

You don't like Raven? Gasp. I suppose it's just as well that people are different. I think that Raven is goddamn HOT. But then so is Alex in his own way. Actually I would fire them too. It's not 'their' show. Thanks so much for the review
Link to comment

WOW Nephy! Incredible discriptions of the two guys. It was an exciting read, as a farmer who's only sense of fashion is his goth get-up. I love your runway too. Well done Nephy :D:boy:

Link to comment
On 06/14/2011 04:57 AM, Mark92 said:
WOW Nephy! Incredible discriptions of the two guys. It was an exciting read, as a farmer who's only sense of fashion is his goth get-up. I love your runway too. Well done Nephy :D:boy:
Haha, I watch too much America's Next Top Model... blame my daughter. My cousin was helping me put away my clothes and her comment was. I love the fact that your clothers are so many different colours... grey, black, darker black, black with gray bits.... :)
Link to comment

Two men as different as night and day. You made a great point that most of the audience wasn't there for the clothing but for Alex and Raven. Alex the ice queen and Raven of passions. Hot on stage, cool behind the scene. Over all another interesting read Nephy. But then you do have such a talent for dragging your reader in and making them stay for the ride. :P

Link to comment
On 06/15/2011 02:57 PM, comicfan said:
Two men as different as night and day. You made a great point that most of the audience wasn't there for the clothing but for Alex and Raven. Alex the ice queen and Raven of passions. Hot on stage, cool behind the scene. Over all another interesting read Nephy. But then you do have such a talent for dragging your reader in and making them stay for the ride. :P
Thank you hun. Your views are always appreciated. Raven is awesome but I really like Alex (probably because I am so unlike him and hot headed) :)
Link to comment

Hmmmm, sorry, but I don't think this one worked. The first half was over descriptive, the sentences were often way too long, and with too many clauses. The sentences which were short and staccato were the ones that created that frisson of aloof disconnect that you semed to want to instil your characters with. I did like the idea of Raven, though. Sex on legs, even sex on the wing.

 

If anything, my advice would be to take the first half and work to a far shorter word limit, and drop the ending. For instance, Raven comes off the runway, rips off his feathers, grabs Alex by the crotch, kisses him hard while moving round him, and drops the feathers distractedly onto the shoulder of a glaring Director, then saunters off, followed by Alex.

 

Someone said, above, that this was not their show. I think that was to miss the point entirely. You clearly constructed the idea that these two men WERE the show. Curiously, the clothes were there to support the character of the men, rather than the other way around. No Director in his right mind would have called Raven on his performance, which you described beautifully. And at any rate, the designer has the say in these things. The director is really only the logistical oiler.

 

Lastly, androgeneity. I don't think it had a place in this story ... the word, that is. It is perfectly articulated in the rest of the piece, and almost comes across as clichè. And it doesn't sit well with either character. It strikes me that they are better humans and better actors than is implied in androgeneity, which always comes across as a sort of obsequious appeal to everybody, ultimately failing in its noticeability, rather than the natural ability to be a human with an expanse of character.

 

I offer these remarks constructively :)

Link to comment
On 06/16/2011 06:01 PM, Dannsar said:
Hmmmm, sorry, but I don't think this one worked. The first half was over descriptive, the sentences were often way too long, and with too many clauses. The sentences which were short and staccato were the ones that created that frisson of aloof disconnect that you semed to want to instil your characters with. I did like the idea of Raven, though. Sex on legs, even sex on the wing.

 

If anything, my advice would be to take the first half and work to a far shorter word limit, and drop the ending. For instance, Raven comes off the runway, rips off his feathers, grabs Alex by the crotch, kisses him hard while moving round him, and drops the feathers distractedly onto the shoulder of a glaring Director, then saunters off, followed by Alex.

 

Someone said, above, that this was not their show. I think that was to miss the point entirely. You clearly constructed the idea that these two men WERE the show. Curiously, the clothes were there to support the character of the men, rather than the other way around. No Director in his right mind would have called Raven on his performance, which you described beautifully. And at any rate, the designer has the say in these things. The director is really only the logistical oiler.

 

Lastly, androgeneity. I don't think it had a place in this story ... the word, that is. It is perfectly articulated in the rest of the piece, and almost comes across as clichè. And it doesn't sit well with either character. It strikes me that they are better humans and better actors than is implied in androgeneity, which always comes across as a sort of obsequious appeal to everybody, ultimately failing in its noticeability, rather than the natural ability to be a human with an expanse of character.

 

I offer these remarks constructively :)

Absolutely. That was fab. Thank you. It's lovely to hear that people like what I write but it does me more good to hear what people don't like, especially in such a constructive way. I really like your ending :) It's much better than mine :P I guess that my total lack of knowledge of fashion shows shows through :) Thank you
Link to comment
On 06/17/2011 03:58 AM, Marzipan said:
I liked the visuals I got from this story :) And that you gave the models pover over the system :P
Well, as you are the one who gave birth to the story I am really glad of that :)
Link to comment

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..