Jump to content
    northie
  • Author
  • 821 Words
  • 1,411 Views
  • 4 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Flash In The Pan - 9. A Date With Adam

Some things are too important to miss ...

“So, are you gonna make it, Ed?”

Mike gripped the phone hard and tried not to let his exasperation colour his voice, though it sounded to his own ears as if he'd failed. It was important – they'd both agreed it was the highlight of the school year.

Mike, you know I don't want to miss it …

“But …?” Mike ran his fingers through his hair while he looked out the french windows at the garden.

Yeah. But. I'm at Rod Harkness' place. His dairy herd has tested positive for TB. I'll have to take him through his options.

“He has options?”

Well, not really. The likely outcome is slaughtering most, if not all, the herd. That's his livelihood – he doesn't have anything other than cattle. You know that as well as I do.

Mike grimaced. Pretty much the worst news for a farmer. “Yeah. As if being a farmer wasn't tough enough. Poor sod. He'll get compensation, but it won't make up for the loss. … Anyway, back to the topic in hand. Are you gonna make it?”

I should, if the gods look kindly on me. Otherwise … I'm sorry, love. To state the obvious – being a vet isn't a nine to five job.

Mike took a couple of steadying deep breaths while holding the handset away from his mouth. The tension in between his shoulder blades was almost painful.

“I'm sorry as well. I didn't mean to snap. You work so hard, love. It's just Adam has set his heart on you being there.”

I know. He was full of it at breakfast, wasn't he? Singing snatches of all sorts of things. Give him a kiss for me, just in case.

“Of course, I will.”

I should be out of here in fifteen minutes or so, and the traffic shouldn't be too bad. I'll meet you there – that'll save ten minutes.

“Drive safely, won't you? It's not worth that much. Love you.”

Yeah. You too. See you both very soon.

Mike gave the handset a sloppy kiss, then sank back on the sofa. Just in time for a short, blond bundle of energy to rush up and start shouting at him.

“Dad! Dad! When's Papa gonna be back?”

Mike smiled as the young boy hopped from one foot to the other in excitement.

“Hey now, a little less noise. OK?”

“Yes, Dad.”

“Papa's still at work, but he'll be back in good time.”

“When?”

“In time for the concert. Hopefully.”

The boy's face fell.

“He has to drive all the way back from Mr Harkness' farm, Adam.”

“Is that the farm with the black and white cows?”

“Yes, it is.” Though for how much longer? “How did you know that?”

“The class visited it last year. I told you. … Why's Papa there?”

The never-ending series of questions. Mike loved that about his son.

“Because Mr Harkness is worried they're poorly.”

“Are they?”

“I don't know, Adam. Papa's the vet, not me.” A white lie told with a clear conscience.

“Oh …” The boy thought about that for a moment until something more important took its place. “I'm hungry.”

“There's a surprise. Right, let's go to the kitchen and see what we've got. I think there's pizza? Or spaghetti? Or chicken nuggets.”

“Pizza! I love pizza.”


Mike craned round in the pew for the umpteenth time in the vain hope that his partner would be in sight. Ten minutes. There was still time. Just. He sighed. Adam would be really upset if only one of his parents was there. It was difficult to explain to a seven year old what being a vet entailed. Particularly the more abstract things like distance, and professional commitment. He opened the programme to look at the choir photo again. They all looked angelic. Mike rolled his eyes. How many other parents were looking at it in disbelief? Adam was a great kid, but he did have his moments.

Just as he was exchanging waves with a mother he knew slightly, Mike's eye was caught by the church door opening. Yes? … Yes! Oh, was he glad to see that familiar blond mop.

“Sorry, sorry. I'm here now.” Ed gave his partner a quick peck on the cheek as he slipped into the pew.

“Well done. How many speeding tickets will that result in?” Sly grin.

“Excuse me?” Ed did fake outrage very well.

“You heard.”

They were both still eyeing each other up when the choir filed in, quietly taking their places. The audience settled down into an expectant hush. Mike saw their son standing at the back, looking so smart in his school uniform. After a moment, a young girl stepped forward. The child began to hum the opening phrase of the first song before being joined by the rest of the choir doing the same.

Mike relaxed. All was right with his world.

This is an enlarged and re-edited version of a prompt response written for one of the weekly challenges set by YeahWrite . The two prompts were: A character is a veterinarian; and Include the following phrase: The child began to hum. The original response was posted on my blog A Pencil Is Best under the title Adam's First Concert.
Leave a comment if you wish. I love them all.
Copyright © 2017 northie; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 8
  • Love 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Story Discussion Topic

You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Since the only time I can remember watching a TV show (or movie) that featured a veterinarian was All Creatures Great and Small, I’m going to imagine that was ‘Tristan’ who almost missed the recital! (I guess those dates with all the young women weren’t successful because they weren’t men? The Fifth Doctor, Peter Davison, was the reason I started watching All Creatures!)  ;-)

 

I can’t remember my father ever missing any important events in my life, but even as a child I was aware that his job (as a Protestant minister) was more important than family to him.

Link to comment

Bring a country /  big animal vet , knows precious few office hours and no fixed surgery address . Being a parent and satisfying the obligations of parenting has its own set of challenges . The tensions found in both situations played off one another quite nicely , leading to a satisfactory conclusion and a restored status quo. 

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
1 hour ago, deville said:

Bring a country /  big animal vet , knows precious few office hours and no fixed surgery address . Being a parent and satisfying the obligations of parenting has its own set of challenges . The tensions found in both situations played off one another quite nicely , leading to a satisfactory conclusion and a restored status quo. 

Yes, it's not as if you could handover the next cat or dog to your veterinary nurse. Well-known tensions in rural areas, I suppose but it still makes them difficult. Livestock don't follow the hours we do.  :)

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..