Jump to content
    northie
  • Author
  • 499 Words
  • 2,499 Views
  • 37 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Flash In The Pan - 5. An Uncommon Daisy

Beauty can be found in the simplest of things - like a daisy.

A response to a challenge set by Cia. My nouns were daisy and pencil.

Javid opened the front door cautiously and peered out at the expanse of blueish-white. Looking down, he found a daisy. He stared, shocked, but then he remembered he still had a pencil somewhere. Was there any paper left? A picture, he wanted a picture of this little miracle.

He couldn't remember the last time he'd seen any live flower, never mind a daisy. Since the start of last ice age, however many decades ago, anything green was rare, treasured, almost the stuff of fairytales.

“Jay? Why you letting the bloody cold in? Shut the door, for fuck's sake.”

Javid turned a little at the sound of his father's complaint. “Sorry, Dad. It's just there's a … a daisy outside, as large as life.”

“What?!” Sean rushed to the door and joined him on the threshold. They both gazed in wonderment, as if the daisy was the most beautiful thing on Earth.

Javid sighed. “I wish we could spare the power to take a photo.”

Sean gave him a quick cuddle. “I know, sweetie, but we've barely got enough power credits to get us through to the end of the month. You know how bad it is. Come on, I'm gonna close the door now – we've already lost five percent of our warmth.”

They both knew where that could lead. Javid stood there, right up to the last moment. Then he turned away, his eyes brimming with tears. Sean forced the door shut and checked the seal. Once he was convinced they weren't going to freeze, he turned and looked at Javid.

“Oh, sweetie. Come here.” Sean held his arms out and enveloped Jay in a tight, loving hug. He could feel Javid shaking and sniffling, his tears leaving a damp patch on his thermal coverall.

“It can't be the only daisy left, can it? OK? Think of the equator. Maybe they still have carpets of daisies there. How one got here? Who knows. Maybe it's a sign the temperature's lifting?”

Javid looked at him, hopefully. Sean had an idea. “Hey, I'm sure I saved some flower pictures last summer when we had some power to spare. Shall we have a look?”

He could feel Jay shaking his head against his chest at the suggestion. Then, he started to speak. Sean moved them apart a little so he could hear better.

“Do we have any paper left? Plain paper. I only need a small piece – this size …” Javid used his hands to demonstrate. He was almost pleading.

Sean frowned. Anything that wasn't directly connected to them staying alive, was a luxury. They had precious few of those.

“I don't know, Jay. What d'you want it for anyway?” He thought he already knew the answer.

“I want to draw the daisy. Please … I've got a pencil somewhere. It wouldn't cost us any extra credits … Could I have one last look?”

Reluctantly, Sean opened up again. They both looked down in disbelief. There was no daisy.

Please leave a comment, a compliment or a complaint.
Copyright © 2017 northie; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 20
  • Wow 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Story Discussion Topic

You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments



There was no daisy... But they could still remember how they looked. Very dystopian  with a dash of hope.

  • Like 5
Link to comment

Interesting byte of alternative reality. You certainly left a lot for us to imagine. And wonder about, too.

 

Very nicely done!

  • Like 5
Link to comment

You had a nice little vignette going for you, Northie, you did. But did you stop there? No! You just had to go and add that last line and elevate this short story into something special.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
10 hours ago, Parker Owens said:

I think this little vignette is a gem. You tell us so much in so few words. Economy and elegance in one package.

 

:*) and all without bothering my long-suffering editor.   ;) Thank you.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
11 hours ago, Lyssa said:

Wow, this story leads through so many emotions. Great!

 

Thanks! Your words made it possible. :)

  • Like 2
Link to comment
11 hours ago, Dolores Esteban said:

Very touching. I would like to read more.

 

Thank you! That you'd like to read more is a great compliment. :)

  • Like 2
Link to comment
10 hours ago, Mikiesboy said:

Nice northie! Great flash. I'm not surprised it included flowers.. tim

 

Well, the daisy was @Lyssa's but yes, I do love flowers. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
10 hours ago, aditus said:

There was no daisy... But they could still remember how they looked. Very dystopian  with a dash of hope.

 

I find dystopias interesting to write about. I'm pleased you enjoyed it.

 

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Northie, you make me appreciate the beauty in the small things. :hug: The daisy is a pretty ordinary flower, but in a desolate world, such as the on you crafted, it truly is precious- beautiful.

 

Thank you!

  • Like 4
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator

Oh, devastation! Where did it go? Was it ever there? Are things even worse than they thought? This is definitely a story you could expand--there are so many directions it could go. Great job!

  • Like 4
Link to comment
8 hours ago, Valkyrie said:

Nice job, Northie.  Very sad, but a realistic portrayal of trying to survive in difficult times.  

 

Sad but with an element of hope? Glad you liked it.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
7 hours ago, BHopper2 said:

Great little flash, and well written!

 

Thanks for reading it! :)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
6 hours ago, Geron Kees said:

Interesting byte of alternative reality. You certainly left a lot for us to imagine. And wonder about, too.

 

Very nicely done!

 

The word limit didn't leave much scope for description so you, as reader, had to do some of the work ...   ;)

  • Like 2
Link to comment

My own daisies are about to bloom, perhaps in a day, or two. What seems such a simple thing, a lone flower, brings such enormous hope and joy in a bleak and uncertain time ... and then.

Well done.

  • Like 3
Link to comment

Whoa. The ending was brilliant. I was thinking... one last look... and I felt the import of that, and wham... no daisy. I'll repeat... Brilliant... you showed so much with so few words... kudos... Gary....

  • Like 3
Link to comment
16 hours ago, Ron said:

You had a nice little vignette going for you, Northie, you did. But did you stop there? No! You just had to go and add that last line and elevate this short story into something special.

 

:D Thanks! I was determined to try and give it a proper finish. Sounds as though I succeeded. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
13 hours ago, Defiance19 said:

A little sad, Northie, but I enjoyed it very much. Great job! 

 

Thanks, Def. I'm glad you enjoyed it despite it not being the happiest of tales. :)

  • Like 2
Link to comment
12 hours ago, Drew Espinosa said:

Northie, you make me appreciate the beauty in the small things. :hug: The daisy is a pretty ordinary flower, but in a desolate world, such as the on you crafted, it truly is precious- beautiful.

 

Thank you!

 

A daisy isn't fashionable or showy but it is still pretty. Thanks, Drew, I'm pleased it made you think.

  • Like 2
Link to comment

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..