Jump to content
    northie
  • Author
  • 2,070 Words
  • 1,288 Views
  • 13 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Flash In The Pan - 4. Questions

This is a response to Prompt 500 "What took you so long?"

It follows on from the previous chapter, A Ripping Yarn but it is not necessary to read that before reading this. We meet Geoff and Tony again, during an afternoon filled with questions but with only some answers.

Prompt 500

 

What took you so long?

Geoff sighed while holding the phone against his shoulder so his mother couldn't hear.

Why it had taken 'so long' for him to answer – as his mother termed it – was because he had to extricate himself from Tony's embrace, launch himself out of the sofa towards the table at the other end of the room, and grab the landline phone before the answerphone cut in.

“Mum, you ask this every time.”

Doesn't seem to make any difference, does it?

Geoff tried not to let his mother's querulous tones get on his nerves too much. “Mum, every time, I explain that if you phoned my mobile, I'd be able to take your call wherever I am. You wouldn't have to hope that I'm home when you call.” And I wouldn't have to wait in, he added to himself.

His mother sniffed. Don't see why you expect me to pay more to phone your mobile. And, anyway, why should other people know our business?

Geoff rolled his eyes and silently replied to himself – Yeah, our lives are so full of drama and intrigue that the world'll want to listen in…

 

Tony wasn't helping at all. He was still sprawled on the sofa, watching his partner with a mischevious but sympathetic smile as Geoff negotiated the weekly minefield that was his mother's regular phonecall. As his mother launched into an account of a lunch with friends, Geoff pantomimed rolling his eyes and yawning. He glanced over towards the sofa and saw Tony was looking at him. Their eyes locked and Tony immediately changed his expression to one of 'come hither' seductiveness. Geoff glared at him and gave him the finger, which only made Tony snort with laughter. And, of course, his mother heard.

Who's that with you? I can hear somebody in the background.

Geoff silently prayed for patience. His mother's alleged hearing loss was very selective sometimes. “I've got a mate round, mum. We've been watching the football on the telly and having a brew.”

His mother didn't know about him and Tony, or, in fact, about him being gay at all. The rest of the explanation had been trueish – he and Tony had been watching the match but it'd been so deathly boring, they'd soon turned it off and turned to other, more pleasureable ways of passing the time.

His mother wasn't satisfied with his explanation. It's a lovely day. Why aren't you out in the sunshine with your friends? Or, even, with your girlfriend? A walk in the park would do you good. You don't get enough exercise, you know.

Geoff's face was a picture of consternation at this turn of events. Tony saw and immediately sat up, looking concerned. Geoff repeated back the offending word cautiously, without any particular emphasis. “Girlfriend?”

His mother swatted away his hesitation. Are you telling me, a strapping, handsome lad like you doesn't have a girlfriend? I'd have thought you'd be fighting them off.

Geoff was lost for words. Now wasn't the time for having this conversation. He needed time to plan, to rehearse … He looked for support from his partner. However, his mother obviously considered the question rhetorical, as she continued on with only a momentary hesitation.

I've been telling my friends about you. How I only ever hear about one portion of your life …

 

This was true. Geoff zoned her out for a few moments, knowing that talking about her friends and their combined 'wisdom' would keep her going, without any input from him.

 

Conversations with his mother tended to progress along a couple of well-worn routes. His work for the local authority brought him into contact with all sorts of characters. His mother liked hearing about other people and their lives. Not that he ever breached any privacy rules or confidentiality requirements. That, and his orchestral playing were the two main strands, to which were added the weather, gardening, days out, and other current topics which didn't touch on him personally. Not surprising really, given how much of his life was now interwoven with Tony's. He noticed that his partner was looking at him for reassurance that he was OK. Geoff smiled at him and rolled his eyes again.

His mother was still in full flow. My friends certainly think you've got a girlfriend. That's their explanation for you only allowing me access to part of your life. I'm your mother, Geoff. I like to hear about your life and I worry that you don't feel able to talk to me about what's important to you. You hardly ever talk about your friends and what you all get up to. You'd tell me about something as important as a girlfriend, wouldn't you?

Geoff felt uncomfortable, hearing this. His mother led a more restricted life since his father died and he knew he didn't visit her as often as he should. She'd never learnt to drive and her income was much less than it had been. The weekly phone-calls were one way she could vicariously experience his life. But, they'd never been very close – his mother had always given the lion's share of her attention to his father. They'd never got in the habit of exchanging their really personal news, feelings, emotions and such. That's why telling his mother about Tony was going to be tricky. He sighed to himself.

He avoided answering his mother's question about his love life by just ignoring it, and instead, he launched into a description of his most recent gig. By the time he'd finished, his mother was giggling away at the thought of him splitting his borrowed dinner jacket.

 

They finished their conversation on a much more amicable note than they often did and his mother sounded happy enough with what he'd conjured up. It didn't disguise their growing distance from one another, though. Geoff acknowledged freely that a lot of it was his fault. He put the phone down with another sigh. Tony held out a hand, inviting him back to the sofa.

“Love, you're gonna have to tell her, one way or another.”

Geoff nodded, resignedly and joined him on the sofa. He snuggled up to his partner and felt his insulin pump – today, sited around his midriff, to one side. He had to change the site regularly to avoid infections. “Yes, I know. I'm all she's got by way of family, now.”

Tony looked him seriously. “And if you told her about us, she would gain me, as well. I know we haven't been together that long …”

Geoff kissed him and then let him continue.

“But six months is long enough for me to think that you're the one.” Tender smiles. “It hurts me to think that I'd be excluded from part of your life, as well.”

Geoff looked puzzled. “Why on Earth would you want to know my mother?”

Tony tilted his head slightly and looked questioningly at his partner.

“I like meeting new people, and your mum has the added bonus of being already an integral part of your life, even if you're finding it difficult to talk to her at the moment.”

Geoff was about to reply when his stomach suddenly rumbled loudly, making them both snort with laughter. Their conversation interrupted for the present, they untangled themselves and headed into the kitchen.

 

A couple of hours later, they were having a brisk walk in the local park. They weren't hurrying but just putting enough effort into the walking to make it proper exercise. Tony was faring rather better than Geoff – he was starting to pant and was finding it more difficult to keep up the pace.

Tony took pity on him and pointed towards the next park bench. “Let's have a breather, We can watch the kids playing in the picnic area.”

Geoff collapsed onto the seat and tried to catch his breath. Tony sat down beside him and grinned at his lover. His smile was sympathetic.

“Your mum was right about that, at least.” Geoff raised an eyebrow. “It is a glorious afternoon to be outside in the park with your boyfriend.”

They both laughed, remembering the earlier phone conversation. They sneaked a quick kiss. Tony continued, “And the exercise will do us both good.”

Geoff grimaced. He knew which of them really needed it. He was too fond of pub grub and take-out meals during the week. The council offices were too temptingly close to a number of different places. Tony's part-time job for the regional heritage trust got him out and about much more. Geoff leaned back against the seat – he was still knackered.

Tony fished around in the pockets of his windcheater. “Here … I'm even prepared to offer you one of my emergency rations.”

He held out a small pack of sweets which Geoff accepted gratefully. Although Tony had made sure he was carbed-up before they left, he always carried emergency supplies with him in case of a hypo. The insulin pump wasn't that sophisticated – its job was to ensure a steady, metered flow of insulin. It didn't know when a hypo was imminent – that was still Tony's job.

 

They sat close together on the bench, hands touching, and watched the children playing. As it was the weekend, all ages were out enjoying themselves.

Tony nestled even closer and Geoff put his arm around him. They rarely had any trouble when they allowed themselves to be affectionate in public. On the odd occasion they'd had some hassle, Tony was the one who'd made it clear they were well able to look after each other. He never made it a threat – more, a statement of fact.

After they'd been sitting for a while, Tony broke the companionable silence.

“I love watching kids. They take such unalloyed pleasure in things, small things we don't think about. They're always learning, exploring, experimenting – they're curious about everything, anything.”

Geoff murmured his agreement. He was almost asleep in the late afternoon sunshine. Tony heartlessly prodded him awake.

Geoff surfaced and blinked sleepily. “Wha'? …”

Tony took the opportunity to sneak in another quick kiss. “Come on, big man. Wakey, wakey. You and I need to talk.”

Geoff managed to focus on his lover – he looked puzzled. “We do?” He sounded faintly worried.

“Oh, love. Don't worry – we're fine. You know we are.” Tony smiled affectionately at him. “But … there is your mum …”

Geoff scowled, causing Tony to giggle. “Yes, I know. … Also, I realise this'll be a bit out of the blue but … how d'you feel about kids?”

That woke Geoff up. He sat bolt upright on the bench and gawped at Tony before repeating the key word back at him.

Kids? … Err …” Geoff had the 'rabbit in the headlights' look. Tony gently grasped one of his hands in his.

“Oh, love, please don't look so terrified. It's just watching those kids … I mean, I've got several nephews and nieces but …” Tony sounded so wistful.

Geoff took pity on him and completed his sentence for him. “But you'd love it if we were to think about having children. I take it that's what you're driving at? Well, … quite apart from anything else, you do realise you'd be the enforcer? I'd spoil them rotten.”

Geoff tended to deploy humour in these sorts of situations, but he saw his partner was watching him closely, waiting for a proper answer.

He spent a few moments thinking, and then took a deep breath. “Sweetie, I think that's gonna be quite some way off, don't you? But, the general idea? Oh, yeah.”

Tony beamed at him. “Oh wow … Thank you.”

After a brief silence when they were both occupied with their own thoughts, Tony decided a change of subject would be good – but it wasn't going to be one that Geoff was going to be very pleased about, though.

“OK, let's get back to what you're gonna do about your mum.”

Geoff pulled a face and shivered slightly. It had suddenly got a lot cooler because of the clouds that were bubbling up. He started to do his jacket up.

“I've a better idea. Let's go home, get ourselves settled on the sofa again, and then we can talk about my mum.”

Please leave a comment - good, bad or indifferent. They'll all be responded to. :)
Copyright © 2017 northie; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 8
  • Haha 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Story Discussion Topic

You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

The story of a telling one's mother is old and infinitely varied. You tell this tale with sweetness and understanding, and the characterizations are wonderfully entertaining. Tony is a blast to imagine in this situation. And I still want to hear Geoff tell his mother. Well done...

  • Like 5
Link to comment

How can a mum be so intuitive and yet so clueless and quite wrong about her son? :facepalm:  But I completely agree with Tony about  them all losing out due to Geoff inability to be honest with his mother.

  • Like 3
Link to comment

This was great, northie. You improve with everything I read from you. The easy flow, the pacing, and the dialogue... definitely the dialogue... were superb. I like these guys. I felt a little sad during the call with Geoff's mother. It's such a shame they don't share more. I think Tony sees they both (Geoff and his mom) would benefit from a more open relationship. I remember how much better I felt after I told my own mother. And kids... yeah. You touched a universal chord there. Well done. I reread the first prompt of these too, and it led beautifully into this one. Cheers... Gary....

Edited by Headstall
  • Like 3
Link to comment

The big question brought on perhaps by the other big issue Geoff is wrestling with. So, one thing at a time. Just when? Tony can probably be quite persuasive. Better start planning. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Hmmm, six months together and mum doesn't know. It was scary for me to tell mine but I didn't have someone I cared about.

You've done an excellent job with the interaction between Geoff and his mum and between he and Tony. Curious as to where their relationship goes.

  • Like 3
Link to comment

Well done Northie.. I hope Geoff can find it in him to tell his mother. I think no matter her response, it will do him good. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
4 hours ago, Parker Owens said:

The story of a telling one's mother is old and infinitely varied. You tell this tale with sweetness and understanding, and the characterizations are wonderfully entertaining. Tony is a blast to imagine in this situation. And I still want to hear Geoff tell his mother. Well done...

 

Thank you, my friend. Yes, I had particular fun writing for Tony ... :)  As for your request - well, I suspect you may hear about it but after the fact, maybe?

  • Like 2
Link to comment
1 hour ago, Timothy M. said:

How can a mum be so intuitive and yet so clueless and quite wrong about her son? :facepalm:  But I completely agree with Tony about  them all losing out due to Geoff inability to be honest with his mother.

 

I'm not sure that Geoff's mother is intuitive - she relies on the judgement of her friends for the analysis of Geoff's behaviour. Yes, Tony has his head screwed on rather better than Geoff's. Thanks for reading. :) 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
13 hours ago, Headstall said:

This was great, northie. You improve with everything I read from you. The easy flow, the pacing, and the dialogue... definitely the dialogue... were superb. I like these guys. I felt a little sad during the call with Geoff's mother. It's such a shame they don't share more. I think Tony sees they both (Geoff and his mom) would benefit from a more open relationship. I remember how much better I felt after I told my own mother. And kids... yeah. You touched a universal chord there. Well done. I reread the first prompt of these too, and it led beautifully into this one. Cheers... Gary....

Thanks, Gary - your praise makes me :*)  As for the improvement, there's about 60k words yet to see the light of day. I'd be disappointed if  I hadn't improved, given that amount of practice. I like both of them, as well. Is there more to tell? Probably.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
12 hours ago, Puppilull said:

The big question brought on perhaps by the other big issue Geoff is wrestling with. So, one thing at a time. Just when? Tony can probably be quite persuasive. Better start planning. 

 

Yes, I think Tony probably has the upper hand in most discussions in that household. ;) Thanks for reading.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
15 hours ago, dughlas said:

Hmmm, six months together and mum doesn't know. It was scary for me to tell mine but I didn't have someone I cared about.

You've done an excellent job with the interaction between Geoff and his mum and between he and Tony. Curious as to where their relationship goes.

Thanks,  dugh! As for further installments, depends on which prompts catch my eye. ;)

  • Like 2
Link to comment
12 hours ago, Defiance19 said:

Well done Northie.. I hope Geoff can find it in him to tell his mother. I think no matter her response, it will do him good. 

Thanks, Def. I'm glad you enjoyed it. Yes, Geoff and his mum need to talk properly, soon.

  • Like 2
Link to comment

I got lucky? My mother figured out that I’m Gay because I was staying over with the guy I was seeing at the time. But my parents mostly handled it the way they dealt with other things that they disagreed with. They ignored it as much as they could.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..