Jump to content
    northie
  • Author
  • 951 Words
  • 983 Views
  • 8 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Flash In The Pan - 10. Reflections

A family picnic results in some serious thinking for Ben and Zach.

Ben stretched out on the grassy river bank, sleepy after a summer's picnic with family. The sun was perfect – comfortably warm without burning. Shorts and a tee weather. They had too few days like that. He'd ended up eating too much – those delicate sandwich triangles were deceptive. And the miniature sausage rolls, and mini quiches … His mum and his two aunties had put on a real spread. It was all finger food, but after he'd refilled his plate several times, he was now very full. Ben raised himself on his elbow so he could take a gulp or two from his cola. He imagined a silhouette of his toned, youthful frame distorted by his stomach, swollen to bursting point with all that he'd eaten.

The resulting cartoonish image made him snort with laughter. The giggles were rapidly overtaken by a wave of coughing. The last gulp of cola had gone down the wrong way. Crimson-faced, Ben managed to sit up fully. Gasping and coughing, he tried to get his breathing back under control. A comforting arm wrapped itself tightly round his shoulders.

“You OK, Ben?”

Ben nodded, all he was capable of doing until the coughing subsided. He turned to look at his boyfriend through watering eyes. Zach's hand was now stroking his back, soothing him like a baby.

Finally, Ben regained his voice. “God … Sorry, Zach.”

“Sure you're OK?” Zach was peering at him through his shades. They weren't only there for decorative purposes. His boyfriend was short-sighted.

“Yeah. Cola and a fit of giggles don't go together.” Ben wiped his eyes and blew his nose.

“I'd say so.”

Alarm over, both men looked down to the water's edge where a young girl was sitting on the landing stage. She was staring at the water, idly kicking her legs against the wooden posts. The sun shining on the gentle ripples in the water was creating beautiful, ever-changing patterns.

Zach cocked his head in her direction. “Remind me who that is. I swear your family multiplies every time I meet them.”

“No, they don't.” Ben jabbed his boyfriend playfully in the ribs. “You, Zach Phillips, have the attention span of a gnat. How many times have I gone through a who's who?”

Zach rolled his eyes. “Well, astonish me one more time with your powers of recall. Maybe I'll remember more this time. Or maybe I should be taking notes?”

That earned him another jab.


The two men cuddled closer in the warm sunshine. The riverbank, and the surrounding park were a public space, but with Ben's family all around, they felt safe enough.

“OK …” Ben spoke with exaggerated patience. “That young lady over there is Gilly, one of my cousins. The youngest.”

“Gilly.” Zach repeated the name in the hope that it would stick this time. He raised an eyebrow. “And how many cousins are there?”

Ben thought for a moment. “Err … four? Five. Oh … even I lose count sometimes.”

“See! I'm not that bad then.” Though Zach admitted his memory for names was poor.

He smirked, then pushed his partner flat. A short tussle on the grass ensued until they were called to order by Ben's mother. After brushing themselves off, they sat down again. Zach returned to watching the young girl, Gilly.

“She's pretty.”

“Hmm …” Ben pulled a face. “She's a bit of a handful sometimes, Mum says. Aunt Jane keeps moaning to her about what Gilly gets up to after school.”

Zach gave his boyfriend a quick tickle. “And I bet you were a pain at her age as well. Before I came along later to teach you better things. Those freckles conceal a reformed monster, I'm sure of it.”

“No.” Ben looked indignant. “I was a good boy. I worked hard at school. Always did my homework.”

“Yeah, yeah.”

“I was.” Angelic expression.

“Why don't I believe you?”

“'cause you're a disbelieving toad.”

Zach snorted. Then a few moments later, a more serious thought came to him. “Is a parent's love for their child finite, d'you think?”

“Dunno.” Ben picked at blades of grass while he considered. “Mum? I think she'd love me whatever. Dad never shows anything, but I pretty sure he'd be the same. Why?”

“Nothing.”

“It can't be nothing, Zach. Not that kind of thought.”

Zach kept on staring at his bare feet.

“Tell me, Zach. Please.” Ben moved closer. “Has something happened with you and your dad?”

Zach shook his head. “No. We're still in a state of armed truce. Neither of us is prepared to give ground. Same old, same old …”

He gathered his courage, though his eyes remained fixed on his feet.

“We're in for the long term, you and me?” Out of the corner of his eye, he saw Ben nodding. Zach took a deep breath. “Once we've been in our new jobs for a couple of years, I'd like us to think about starting a family.” Zach felt himself blushing.

“What?”

Zach turned slightly to see Ben's mouth hanging open. His heart sank. “Oh … I thought …”

Ben wrapped his arms round him. “Of course the answer's 'yes', you idiot. You took me by surprise. I've been thinking the same. It'll take longer though. We'll have to save, and work hard. We need our own place to have children. Even if it's only rented.”

They were only just out of uni, in their first jobs. Home for them both was a room in a house-share. Separate houses, though close enough.

Zach sighed. “Yeah. But when it happens, I know the love we'll have for our children will be infinite.”

Ben kissed him. “Yes, it will.”

Please leave a comment if you wish ...
This is a re-edited and extended version of a prompt response originally posted on my external blog. The prompt was provided by YeahWrite .
Copyright © 2017 northie; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 8
  • Love 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Story Discussion Topic

You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Quote

Remind me who that is. I swear your family multiplies every time I meet them.

I used to pick up my mother’s cousin for holiday gatherings. It was a twice-a-year task and she would forget the names and relationships of my brothers, cousins, and their kids. She sometimes got confused about my two brothers and thought I only had a single brother. She even thought I was her Aunt’s son rather than her Aunt's grandson (my maternal grandmother only had daughters)! To be fair, she hadn’t spent much time with my family even before that period and she was elderly by then. I spent time while we drove to go over who she’d be seeing and how everybody was related to each other. Fortunately, my family is fairly basic (the only divorcé on that side of the family lives on the opposite coast; and a single remarriage on the other side of the family).  ;-)

Link to comment
2 hours ago, dughlas said:

These two are sweet. Their playfulness makes me smile.

Thanks, dugh. The course was partly determined by the words I had to include: finite, astonish and crimson.

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
Link to comment

Nice to have a sweet story of a warm summer picnic to cuddle up to during the Arctic blast. It made me smile. I can relate to the confusing, ever-expanding family. :) 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
59 minutes ago, Timothy M. said:

Nice to have a sweet story of a warm summer picnic to cuddle up to during the Arctic blast. It made me smile. I can relate to the confusing, ever-expanding family. :) 

Yes, you're not the only ones to be freezing. Brrr ...  You and @droughtquake both commented on the family aspect of it. Not something I've had much problem with. 

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment

Lovely that Ben and Zach are both set for the long haul together . I can sympathize with Zach, 18 years with my husband and I still can’t remember and sometimes tell all the Quims , Victors , Carlos’ and Joseph’s apart. 

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
2 hours ago, deville said:

I can sympathize with Zach, 18 years with my husband and I still can’t remember and sometimes tell all the Quims , Victors , Carlos’ and Joseph’s apart. 

That problem was satirized in My Big Fat Greek Wedding with seemingly everyone named ‘Nick’!  ;-)

Link to comment
23 hours ago, deville said:

Lovely that Ben and Zach are both set for the long haul together . I can sympathize with Zach, 18 years with my husband and I still can’t remember and sometimes tell all the Quims , Victors , Carlos’ and Joseph’s apart. 

Me, I have trouble with names full stop. Thanks for your comment.  :)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..