Jump to content
    northie
  • Author
  • 669 Words
  • 712 Views
  • 8 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Flash In The Pan - 14. Memento Mori

Just who is Death talking to?

If you wanted to set your life on fire, there wasn’t a better combination.

Here, this is the one: faith, politics, and heresy in sixteenth century England. Treading the treacherous, ever-changing path which divided the follower of the true religion from the apostate. Something which often resulted in death at the stake.

Take Thomas Cranmer. He set his life on fire with a vengeance. A dispute with the Catholic Queen Mary and he was finished. As a serving archbishop, his public execution in 1556 was a spectacle. Did it make his death special? A red-letter day? The crowd in Oxford seemed to think so. They drank in the emotions, the open sympathy for the condemned man as he gave out his last words. He didn’t struggle, or weep, or curse fate as the flames licked around him. Instead, in the words of an observer, he came ‘to the stake with a cheerful countenance and willing mind, he put off his garments with haste and stood upright in his shirt’.

Tudor propaganda? Maybe. Did he think he would cheat Death somehow by going willingly into the fire? If he did, he was wrong. No-one bypasses me. Everybody is gathered in from the never-ending harvest. Sometimes ripe, sometimes not. Yet … he has outwitted me in a way. Death should mean the extinction of a life. Complete erasure. Cranmer lives on. He, his life, the causes he stood for are in the public consciousness, just, after nearly five hundred years. People at the time were moved to record his death in writings and woodcut illustrations. Quite some effort to go to at that time.

He died for his version of the Christian faith. Did he go to the stake so he would get preferential treatment at the pearly gates? Now there’s something to think about. Yes? Or no? Death isn’t a middleman, someone you employ to improve your chances elsewhere. It isn’t a service I offer so you can abuse it to increase your hopes of gaining paradise. Death is universal. It happens to everyone. It should be egalitarian. Equal opportunity. Gender neutral. Faith, no faith. … But even I admit that’s rubbish. You’ll find a hierarchy of death throughout time. Won’t stop me trying to change things. Just don’t expect it soon.

So, does Cranmer’s death resonate with you? Martyrdom his way? Restrained, kinda quiet. No? Ah, silly me. I forgot. You want to take other people with you, when you ignite the flames. You see yourself as the instigator of your own death, not someone else’s victim. Well, that’s debatable. Sorry, muttering to myself. I hope you were listening earlier. The bit about not using me to get preferential treatment? Only I saw you making your video. Your claims struck me as being premature, that’s all.

You might want to check the small print on that special offer. You’re expecting how many maidens? No hunks, or twinks? Shame – gotta move with the times. And the people who are going to accompany you … Sorry, those who will leave at the same time as you, are they willing participants, by the way? I thought not. … What difference does it make to me? Well, maybe I’m having my own #Me Too moment. Shouldn’t ‘consent’ or at least ‘acquiescence’ figure in your plans somewhere? It’s a new idea I’m trying out.

I sense I’m not making any headway here. Your mind’s set. The video’s ready. You expect your fame and martyrdom will be the talk of the world as you wage your holy war. I have news for you, my friend. Your messy, murderous demise will be a damp squib, hardly lighting up a couple of days before it’s forgotten. The other people, your victims, will be remembered longer than you. I have a suggestion. Be a martyr if you wish, it’s all the same to me. Follow Cranmer’s example. But leave the others out of it.

Death’s a dirty enough business without you making it more so.

This was one of the most difficult double prompts I've attempted: the first line was given as was the character of Death.
It got a good response. What do you think? Your comments and thoughts are always welcome.
Copyright © 2017 northie; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 8
  • Love 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Story Discussion Topic

You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Well written, thought-provoking, and very timely. I love your last paragraph and last line... great way to wrap it up. Death doesn't sound like such a bad guy... but the self-important, delusional, murderous martyr does. He really should follow Cranmer's example. Sadly, there is no talking to his kind... the hate in them is too well wrought. Well done, northie... cheers... Gary....

  • Like 3
  • Love 2
Link to comment

Excellent. I think the target audience is quite clear. But will you reach them before they commit their acts? Doubtful. 

That crowd is too wrapped up in hate to be reading things on a site mostly motivated by love.

 

  • Like 3
  • Love 2
Link to comment
1 hour ago, Headstall said:

I love your last paragraph and last line... great way to wrap it up.

Thanks, Gary. I sweated blood over the original prompts. Yes, Death sounds pretty reasonable, doesn't s/he? Certainly in the face of religious extremism.

  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Link to comment
50 minutes ago, Geron Kees said:

Excellent. I think the target audience is quite clear.

Thanks, Geron. I think 'subject' rather than 'target audience'. It was only ever a prompt response, first on my external blog, and now here.

  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Link to comment

I think it’s not just religious fanatics, but all of those who want to use their own moral standards to become judge and jury for people they hate. The ones who are murdering all the Trans Women of Color. The ones who harass or attack anyone who doesn’t conform to their definitions of gender presentation, gender roles, sexual orientation, or sexual behavior.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
11 hours ago, dughlas said:

Why Cranmer?

Good question... I wrote this nearly a year ago, so the honest answer is I can't remember. I scrabbled around trying to find something, anything that fitted the two prompts. 

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment
11 hours ago, droughtquake said:

I think it’s not just religious fanatics,

Yes, indeed. As usual you make us think, drought.

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..