Jump to content
    northie
  • Author
  • 2,976 Words
  • 3,239 Views
  • 31 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Never Too Late To Explore - 16. Pride of Place

A birthday meal is taking place...

“Happy birthday, Eric!”

Andy sported a beaming smile as he and Adam chorused their greeting. Their intended recipient sat opposite in a quiet corner of The George's restaurant area. Eric's eyebrows were up, but he still raised his glass of orange juice in acknowledgement.

“Are you sure you don't want to try any of the wine?” Andy raised his glass in return.

Eric stared back. “Why should I aim to develop a taste for something I can't afford to buy?”

“Just for special occasions? Go on, give it a try.” He proffered his untasted glass of red.

Adam looked sideways with a faint warning expression.

Eric accepted the challenge and took a couple of sips. His face screwed up. “And this is what folk spend a small fortune on? I'd sooner drink water, thanks.”

Both younger men laughed as the glass was handed back. Andy gave a slight shrug to his partner.

The older man returned to perusing the menu. Andy smiled to himself – he could tell Eric was studying each and every item offered. He only had to watch the way an index finger progressed slowly downwards, presumably pointing at each description in turn.

Eric frowned. “If the chap who writes this drivel goes into any more detail, I'll know the name of the animal which is going to be sat on my plate.”

Adam snorted. “They do go overboard on the provenance, don't they?”

“And whose garden the veg comes from.”

Andy smirked at his partner. “You're the one for local sourcing…”

“Yes, but supporting local producers doesn't mean you have to write a paragraph of flowery nothingness for each dish.”

“True.” Andy opened his mouth to continue, but was cut off.

“I want to know what the food is made of.” Eric brandished his menu. “People like you two lads might understand all this French stuff; I don't.”

Andy leant over. “Good point. OK. I'll give you a brief rundown, then any you're interested in, I'll give you a better description.”

As the two of them murmured over the menu, Adam sat back. The dining room was far from being deserted: the reputation of The George ensured that even on a Tuesday evening, there was a reasonable smattering of diners.

Andy returned to looking at his own menu. There was a silence lasting a minute or two. “You decided on anything?”

Eric looked up and peered over his glasses.

“Don't forget Adam's got limitless credit.”

“Excuse me?” Adam's indignation made the other two chortle. “Not that it'll affect you, Eric, in any way, but it's Andy who's footing the bill on this auspicious occasion.”

“Well, whichever of you it is, he'll need to have deep pockets. That's for sure.” Eric frowned at the menu. “Some of these main courses cost over fifteen pounds each. I've never seen the like.”

Andy smiled. “It's your birthday. Enjoy it.”

“Speaking of special occasions …” Adam reached under his chair and produced a carrier bag. “Would you like your presents now or later?”

Their friend's eyes opened wide. It was clear the bag contained more than the one art book Eric might have expected.

“It doesn't feel right to be opening such things in public. But …”

At this point, one of the wait staff appeared, an unopened bottle of wine in her hand. She held it out, not sure who to offer it to.

“Compliments of the house.”

Andy accepted it. “Oh… Thanks?”

“It's someone's birthday.” She looked at each of them in turn.

He raised one eyebrow slightly: the staff were alert enough to notice a birthday celebration, but they hadn't briefed the woman properly. Either that or she'd forgotten.

Whatever. “Yes, indeed.” He indicated Eric, who looked faintly bemused. “Thanks. That's great.”

“Would you like some clean glasses? A corkscrew?”

A quick glance at the others confirmed his view. “No, thanks. We'll take it with us and save it for another time.”

“OK. Enjoy! Shall I come back in a couple of minutes to take your order?”

This time, Adam answered. “Yes, we're nearly there, but not quite.”

As she left, he placed the bag on table, fitting it in between all the cutlery and glasses. “Now's the perfect time, Eric.”

Eric gave a resigned half-shrug. Andy thought there was some amusement behind it all as well.

“And this is the perfect place to have wrapping paper everywhere?” He eyed the bag. “It looks as though the pair of you have money to burn.”

Andy sniggered quietly. “Oh, we don't have bonfires that often.” He and Adam spent quite some time debating what would be acceptable gifts for a friend who didn't have much himself.

Eric pulled the bag towards him and peered inside. One by one, he fished out three packages together with an envelope.

Just then, the same young woman returned, bearing a tablet computer. “Are you ready to order?”

Everyone nodded. Eric picked up the menu, found his items in the list, and carefully said what he wanted, making no attempt at the French pronunciation. The others followed. They all settled for the same starter of Pâté de campagne with toasted soda bread, but when it came to the entrées, each had their own request.

All were heavily dependent on meat. After the woman left, Eric shook his head. “This isn't a place to come for one of your meatless days.” He eyed Andy.

He shrugged it off. “Hardly… but a good dose of red meat once in a while doesn't do you any harm. Even we only come here for high days.” His eyes asked a question of his fiancé.

“You expect me to remember when we were last here?” Adam assumed a thoughtful expression. “Was it Valentine's? … No, that was somewhere else. Your birthday?”

“Sounds likely.” He turned to Eric. “So it's been six months since we've eaten here.”

“I can't imagine either of you has starved in the meantime.”

Both younger men recognised this as their friend's dry humour.

“Very true.” Andy indicated the small heap of presents. “Time to open them? We'll have several minutes before they bring the starters. The service isn't very quick here.”

Eric stared at his parcels as if he didn't know what to do with them. He tugged at one of the ribbons. The wrapping paper fell open, revealing the art book from the shop in Leominster. There was a brief flick-through followed by a “Thanks” before he continued with the other two packages. They each held a book of recipes aimed at those cooking on a tight budget. Illustrated with bright, tempting photos, the first of the books caught Eric's attention. He opened it at random and started reading.

“I'm sure you'll find several things that'll suit you. They all look tasty.” Andy crossed his fingers.

“Hmm…” Eric nodded, but didn't look up. After a moment he continued. “I bet any result of my cooking won't look anything like this picture. Or what I see on those cookery programmes.”

“Who cares?” Adam leant forward. “I don't reckon either of us could make anything ready for food photography. As long as it's good to eat and you enjoy it – that's the aim.”

“If you say so.” Eric put the book down, having dog-eared the page first.

Andy was relieved. Hopefully he'd get some cookery questions in amongst all the others. It gave them another topic to chat about as well. He'd better ask whether his client needed any additional utensils or extra pans.

Eric's hand reached out for the envelope. Again Andy held his breath. He chewed at a fingernail. Adam's smile of support caught his eye. He smiled back. Their birthday guest spent some time admiring the card – another picture of a garden, like his Christmas card – before he opened it up. A plastic credit card of sorts fell out. Eric picked it up and examined it, turning it over.

Puzzled, he held it up. “What's this when it's at home?”

“It's a gift card: like gift tokens, only the balance is recorded on the card.” Andy took the card briefly to show Eric the name of the issuer. “West's is a large nursery and café about ten miles south of us. I thought we could spend an afternoon there while you choose whatever takes your fancy. Think of those gaps in your beds – this could be one way to fill them.”

Eric's jaw hung open. He shook his head. “This is too much. I can't accept you spending this much on me.”

Andy sighed inwardly. The older man's objections scarcely came out of the blue. Fortunately, Adam and he came up with a strategy earlier. Would it work?

“Eric, how much did you have in your pocket for your day in Leominster?”

“You know as well as I do, it was forty pounds.” He sniffed loudly. “Extravagant of me.”

“Well, perhaps you think that because you're not used to spending money on yourself. Having some well-deserved fun. Anyway, what we've got you in presents adds up roughly to the same amount. The gift card's got twenty pounds on it; the other stuff came to nineteen pounds something. Think of the card as an afternoon out for twenty quid. How does that sound?”

Eric stared at his presents.

Adam voiced his thoughts. “And maybe another reason we did it was because we enjoy buying presents for a dear friend.”

As at Christmas, Andy watched the emotions play across his friend's face. Then it was for a pack of coloured pencils and a block of paper. Now was for rather more; he knew they took a risk spending that amount without sounding Eric out first.

“You're looking to spoil me. And you know I can't afford to treat you in the same way. And how about this fancy meal?”

Two different but closely related issues. Adam pointed out what he thought were their starters coming out of the kitchen.

Andy hastened to close the subject before they started on their food. “Eric, you know you repay us in different ways. Your life experiences, gardening knowledge, who you are: they're no less valuable. We may have money; you have many other things to offer us.”

He smiled across the table. The other man didn't return his smile; instead he hesitated a moment before putting everything back in the carrier bag and taking possession of it.

Was that acceptance? He could only hope it was.


Eric savoured the rich, meaty sauce – or was it a gravy? – of his Boeuf bourguignon. He wished he had a thick slice of bread with which to mop it up. As it was, he tried to get some of the remainder onto the final button onion. He licked his lips with satisfaction, and put his knife and fork down.

“I don't think I'll need to eat again until the day after tomorrow. The beef was so tender, it nearly fell apart in my mouth. And those little pieces of salty bacon really set it off. Wonderful.”

Andy grinned. “Good. We'll make a food critic out of you yet.” He was still fighting his way through what Eric recalled as being a Pot au feu. “This is spectacular. I can quite see why the chef here has such a good reputation.”

Eric peered across the table at what remained in Andy's shallow bowl. “So what is a Pot au feu? I can't bring to mind what you said it was.”

“It's a classic French stew: three different cuts of beef, root veg and others, all slowly cooked together in this broth.”

Adam joined in. “It smelt delicious.”

Eric shook his head. “And there was me thinking I had a portion meant for two. Yours looked enough to feed a family.”

Adam smirked at that. “I took the sensible course of ordering the Steak au poivre.” He turned to Andy. “You'll have to work that off over the next few days.”

Andy shrugged. “Who cares? I'm hardly in an office job where I don't get any exercise.” He downed his last pieces of carrot and leek, also taking care to mop up the liquor. “I am full though.”

“Not often I hear that. So no need for the dessert menu then?” Andy frowned. Adam's smirk remained firmly in place. “So, Eric… what've you found on the internet recently?”

Eric blinked, taking time to get his thoughts in order. “Ehm…” Then he thought of Pride. Hadn't he been meaning to ask the lads about it? “I'm curious about Pride. I mean, might it be something I'd want to attend? Only as a spectator of course.”

Andy looked astonished. “Fuck me!” He slapped a hand over his mouth. “Sorry. … Why haven't I thought of that?”

Adam touched his hand briefly. “Nobody's going to think of everything, love.” He turned to Eric. “And your client does have a mind of his own.”

Andy frowned. “Yes, but it's coming up to Pride season so I should've thought of it.”

“Well, we're talking about it now. There's plenty of time before most Prides get going.”

Eric watched the exchange with interest. Andy's continuing work to introduce him to gay life was humbling, whatever the young man said about learning things from him. That was mostly rubbish anyway.

Adam turned to him. “We're going to Birmingham in May for their Pride celebration. It's practically a full weekend.”

“I wouldn't want to play gooseberry.” Eric recalled times staying at the lads' house which made him feel uncomfortable and sometimes sad.

Andy chuckled. “You never get in the way. However the Pride we're attending is a little too full-on for you, I think. The parade's pretty lively, and the music events are loud. And it gets very busy.”

“I'm not good in crowds.” Eric shuddered at the thought.

“How about our local Pride? There's one for Herefordshire as a whole.” Adam tapped away on his phone, searching for information, Eric assumed.

“In fact it's the Saturday following Birmingham's.” Adam continued scrolling. “The parade's late morning, so you could watch it, have lunch with us, and be back home by mid-afternoon.”

Andy joined in. “It's fun, and very welcoming and inclusive. It's nowhere near as crowded as Birmingham; or as risqué.”

“Pardon?” Eric grimaced. “I've had enough foreign words this evening to last me a month or two.”

The conversation halted as a server came up to clear their plates.

“Everything OK for you?”

Adam smiled. “It was delicious …”

“Awesome!” Andy chipped in.

“Shall I bring the dessert menu?”

This was greeted with smirks and surpressed sniggers from the two younger men.

Adam looked round the table. “Well?”

Eric shook his head. There wasn't one single unfilled corner of his stomach.

Andy did the same.

“We'll just have three teas. Err … Two lapsang souchong and one English breakfast, thanks.”

“OK.”

Left to themselves again, Andy picked up where they'd left off. “Pride can be a time when people let their hair down. They might take the opportunity to display elements of their personality not usually seen outside the home, for instance.”

Eric recalled some of the photos he saw on the computer and blinked.

“Why not support the local event? It'll be a great way to start.”

Eric briefly wondered if Rob ever attended a Pride before telling himself off. Why did he persist in thinking the other man was gay? Only fairy tales had endings like that. He dragged himself back to the present.

“You OK, Eric?”

Andy's concern made him reflect. Should he mention something about Rob?

Their tea arrived. Stirring, pouring, and in his case, the addition of milk, gave him a couple of minutes to decide.

“Ehm … I just recalled one of my old workmates …”

“Was he gay?” Andy's interruption earned him an eyeroll from Adam.

“I never discovered. It was hardly a subject you could bring up over a brew. Maybe I had a suspicion.” Did he really? “If he was, I thought he might take part in Pride.”

Adam shrugged. “If he is gay and he's stayed in the local area, then yes, perhaps. Though it isn't obligatory for every single queer individual to attend, you know.”

“Just highly recommended.” Andy gave a sly grin. “In fact, we haven't been to the local Pride for a couple of years.” He looked to Adam for confirmation. “We'd better get our card stamped as it were, this time around.”

“Yeah …” Adam returned to his phone. Eric continued to be amazed at how much time both of his friends spent staring at screens. “Ah, yes. I was up to my eyes in a case last year. No idea what our excuse was for the year before.”

Andy produced his own phone. “OK, let's make it a date then. I'll ask round to see where the best viewpoints are.”

Eric knew Pride would be another milestone on his journey. “Yes, please.”

“Good.” Adam retrieved his wallet from a pocket. “Right, I'd better get the check.” He signalled their server.

Eric knew only too well he wasn't one for speeches but the evening demanded he try. “Thank you both for your continuing generosity. This meal was fantastic. Out of this world. I'll never forget it.”

“We all enjoyed ourselves, Eric.” Andy was slightly flushed from the warmth and the food.

He realised he'd missed out something. “Ehm… and thank you also for your presents. I still say you spend too much on me and I'm sorry if it makes me sound ungrateful.”

“We would be happy to spend very much more.” Andy retrieved the unopened bottle of wine.

Adam, having paid, got up to help Eric with his coat. “I'm as pleased as Andy that you've enjoyed yourself this evening. Maybe we should come back here next year?”

Eric sighed. “Yes, we should.”

My usual vote of thanks goes to Parker Owens.
Feel welcome to add your comments, critiques, and speculations - you should know by now, I enjoy them all.
Copyright © 2018 northie; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 20
  • Love 28
  • Wow 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Story Discussion Topic

This started out in late 2016 as my first attempt at a multi-part story. I remember pestering @Parker Owens for his agreement for me to start posting after I'd produced ... four chapters or thereabouts.   His wise counsel prevailed, and I've spent a long time both completing this part, and refining the writing so it comes up to my current standards.   The reception of the first two chapters has been such that I've ventured to start this story topic.   Feel free to discuss or
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments



I was thinking how sad it is that Eric’s life has been so limited. Most of us enjoy the fruits of our ever shrinking world with foods and ingredients being brought to us from around  the world. We might be totally clueless about the cultures, but we eat meals that were inspired by cuisines all over the globe. (Oh course, much of what we think is authentic is unrecognizable to the people who are credited with their creation. And then there are the weird variations that are sometimes the results of cross-cultural hybridization and sometimes pure gluttony!)
;–)

Link to comment

I’m glad that Eric committed himself to a repeat of his birthday dinner! It’s a sign that he’s accepting the adoption of Andy and Adam as part of his family. It’s a delicate balance to maintain: being generous to someone who can certainly use the assistance and avoiding offending his pride by overwhelming him with stuff.

Link to comment

The trouble with hiding in the Closet is that any potential partners can't see you cowering in the dark. There’s a certain amount of safety and protection there. But it’s difficult to meet anyone else.

Eric is going to need to be both lucky and bold if he is to discover if Rob is also Gay. It would be useful if Rob saw him with Andy & Adam. Especially if Andy & Adam were involved in some minor PDAs at the time…
;–)

Edited by droughtquake
Link to comment
57 minutes ago, droughtquake said:

But it’s difficult to meet anyone else.

Is Eric ready to meet a gay man about his age? And one who's possibly had a very different life. That would hit even closer to home than seeing the two lads living their lives.

  • Like 2
  • Love 2
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
22 minutes ago, northie said:

Indeed - having eaten something vaguely Spanish last night, and possibly a curry tonight.  ;)  While he worked, I imagine Eric as someone who ate for fuel, not interested in new tastes or ordering in. I would think having reached his age, it'd be difficult for him to really venture out.

I think even then Eric was concerned about his budget. My impression is that frugality was something he was forced to deal with all his life. And there were fewer choices when he was younger.

Link to comment
38 minutes ago, droughtquake said:

think even then Eric was concerned about his budget

Indeed. Very much pre-minimum wage, agricultural / estate workers were amonst the lowest paid, I think. In Eric's case, the tied accommodation would've been one excuse to under pay him.

  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Link to comment

This was a lovely evening of celebration among friends. These three have created a small family unit of sorts beyond the ordinary for the situation when Andy and Eric were first introduced. None could have imagined the effect it has had on all three.

We think it sad that Eric missed so many things we take for granted, technology, varied foodstuffs, travel, etc. However, we need to remember Eric didn't know what he was lacking in that regard. He came of age at a time when country folk did without many things available to more urban areas. It's quite possible that as a young child his home had no electricity, indoor plumbing or telephone definitely no television. Diet varied little, dependent for much on what you could grow yourself. Penicilin and other antibiotics were the latest miracle drugs not yet widely available. His parents may not have owned a motor vechicle, many rode bicycles or walked. Horsedrawn farm equipment was still common in European rural farming communities. It was in most regards a simplier time. Certainly by the time he reached his teens things were changing but for many it came slowly.

Yeah. Eric's going to Pride.

  • Like 2
  • Love 3
Link to comment

We knew a farmer in metro San Diego who still had his horse in the mid-Seventies. I’m not sure the horse still worked pulling the plow or anything, but the farm still produced strawberries. Horse lifespans are approximately 25-30 years or longer (I looked it up).
;–)

Link to comment
1 hour ago, dughlas said:

None could have imagined the effect it has had on all three.

Including this author...  Seriously, the relationship has grown organically - in a way, they've determined how it's worked out. Although I know the genreal direction and main points of travel, my characters do know how to flex their muscles.  ;) 

1 hour ago, dughlas said:

as a young child his home had no electricity, indoor plumbing or telephone definitely no television.

I suspect our rural working class in the 1950s weren't as off-grid as perhaps in parts of the US. Behind the times - definitely, but I'd guess they mostly had electricity. Connection to the sewerage network however is still patchy. 

  • Like 2
  • Love 3
Link to comment
8 hours ago, James B. said:

I'm sure hoping Eric enjoys Pride and Rob's there and sees him and talk.

You're going to be far from the only reader wishing for this. Keep reading.  ;)

 

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment
7 hours ago, JeffreyL said:

What a great evening for Eric and the guys

Wasn't it just. Eric has experienced so many new things over the past 6 months.

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment

And now I'm hungry reading about all that savory food. :lol:  The boys are getting better at presenting their case to Eric and he is getting better at putting his needs and feelings into words.  I'm delighted they made a date about going to the local Pride. Even if there's no Rob to meet, it will be good for Eric to see how many gay people there exist in his rural community.

  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Link to comment
2 hours ago, Timothy M. said:

I'm delighted they made a date about going to the local Pride.

It'll feel pretty homespun to both lads, but for Eric it has the potential to be a revelation. Who else might he see? People who are part of his town's daily life perhaps. 

  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Link to comment
1 hour ago, northie said:

It'll feel pretty homespun to both lads, but for Eric it has the potential to be a revelation. Who else might he see? People who are part of his town's daily life perhaps. 

Wouldn’t it be ironic if Eric’s nosy neighbor were there celebrating too?
;–)

Link to comment
3 hours ago, droughtquake said:

Wouldn’t it be ironic if Eric’s nosy neighbor were there celebrating too?
;–)

You have a weird imagination, drought.  :lol:

  • Like 2
  • Haha 3
Link to comment
7 hours ago, northie said:

You have a weird imagination, drought.  :lol:

We only ‘know’ a couple of local residents. It’s already been established that the café owner and his wife are straight. I don’t think we ever learned the names of either the librarian or any of the volunteers who helped Eric learn how to use a computer. Also nameless are the people who assisted Eric on the street when he slipped and fell.

It’s only logical!
;–)

Link to comment
On 7/14/2019 at 1:42 AM, droughtquake said:

It’s only logical!

How about he sees someone else unknown to us?  Maybe you'll find out in the final chapter.  ;) 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
1 hour ago, northie said:

How about he sees someone else unknown to us?  Maybe you'll find out in the final chapter.  ;) 

Well, it’s unlikely to be the three homophobic kids who terrorized him at the beginning of the story!
;–)

Link to comment
13 minutes ago, droughtquake said:

Well, it’s unlikely to be the three homophobic kids who terrorized him at the beginning of the story!
;–)

Ooooooo! I know! One or more of the gardening students who helped remodel his garden!
;–)

Maybe his postal carrier, the shop assistant at his favorite grocery store, one of the healthcare workers from the hospital, or one of the EMTs who treated him when he fell?
;–)
 

We’ve actually ‘met’ quite a few of Eric’s neighbors…
;–)

Link to comment

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..