Jump to content
    northie
  • Author
  • 52 Words
  • 668 Views
  • 8 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Shrunk to Fit - 5. Life Lessons

What some children learn one day...

Weary, the boy crests the ridge.

School today!

He looks valleywards. Instead of neat buildings, smouldering roof embers greet him. Torn, flapping pages signal defeat. He pelts downwards, juddering to a halt. A sickly stench pummels his stomach - all too familiar.

Tears flow; his dearest dreams too have died.

An edited version of another tiny tale first posted on my external blog.
Your comments and thoughts are always welcome.
Copyright © 2019 northie; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 7
  • Love 1
  • Sad 3
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Story Discussion Topic

You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

A life lesson we never know how valuable something is till it's gone, then it's too late to treasure it we can only miss it. You know how to get a point across without dragging out a story.

Edited by Mancunian
  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment
39 minutes ago, Mancunian said:

You know how to get a point across without dragging out a story.

Thank you! I don't have much option though with these. We're given an exact word count which has to be met. Word choices are very important.

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment

I Loved how well this was written.

There are so many factions and governments around the world who want to keep the people ignorant so they can more easily control the population. The easiest way to keep people ignorant is to destroy schools (either literally or with massive funding cuts that effectively end up with the same result). Patriarchal societies have under-educated girls for centuries to prevent change (ie overthrow of male domination; logic and reason over tradition and superstition).

I was an indifferent student. I remember being happy when there was the prospect of a teacher’s strike cancelling school (although my conservative parents would have forced us to cross the picket line in any case). And I went to school when California’s education system was still well-funded and still considered world class – the effects of Proposition 13’s devastating tax cuts had yet to take effect when I graduated.

Link to comment

A 'day in the life' story in less than 50 words. A harsh lesson in reality in some times and some places. Excellent piece!

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment

Yeah... harsh. A boy's hope and dreams die, but human spirit can reignite from the smallest ember. Well done, northie.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
13 hours ago, droughtquake said:

I Loved how well this was written.

High praise! Thanks, drought.  :) And yes, denial of (free) education is still an effective weapon unfortunately.

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
8 hours ago, Geron Kees said:

A harsh lesson in reality in some times and some places.

Still too many times and places. :/ 

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
6 hours ago, Headstall said:

but human spirit can reignite from the smallest ember.

Yes, against the harshest of regimes. Sometimes... 

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..