Jump to content
    ObicanDecko
  • Author
  • 3,317 Words
  • 2,454 Views
  • 10 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Tom and I - 5. Bruno

Charlie visits Tom and meets the rest of his family.

It was a pleasant, warm summer afternoon that found me sitting in the living room, almost dozing off. I was killing time by watching House Hunters International and munching on apples. Earlier that day, I had discovered several apple trees in the backyard. Of course, I had no idea which variety they were. All I knew was the apples were a nice yellowish-green color and they tasted delicious!

Unfortunately, I also found dozens of apples fallen and rotten under each tree. It made me realize I know practically nothing about taking care of fruit trees, so I made a mental note to ask Tom if he could help me. I wouldn’t be surprised if he was an expert at it.

Even though it was late summer, the September days were still quite warm, which I enjoyed. What I did not enjoy was days getting shorter. I disliked the feeling of getting home from work and finding that it’s already getting dark. On the other hand, it wasn’t like I had much to do once I finished my preparations for the next day’s classes. As a result, I had a lot of free time and not much to fill it with. I started wondering about what people in this town do to have fun? They can’t possibly be working in the fields and around the house all day and spending every evening at the ‘Bar’, can they?

At times like those, I missed having my friends around. I missed the way we could just text each other and make plans to meet for drinks or go see a movie. Unless you already had a family, life in Taernsby was quite lonely and I wasn’t prepared for that.

Sure, Tom and I had finally broken the ice and started dating, so I was looking forward to spending more time with him, but I he had his farm to take care of. I couldn’t just call him every time I got bored.

Our first date was nothing short of beautiful, and I was honestly surprised at how much I enjoyed myself! I never thought I needed such romance in my life, but Tom definitely proved me wrong. Even though he was still somewhat shy, perhaps due to his lack of experience, he was very attentive and caring. I started to realize he was slowly getting under my skin, and I was fully prepared to allow it.

As I sat in front of the TV, trying to kill some time, my phone rang. I almost jumped to answer it, welcoming any distraction. I smiled when I saw it was Jae, my best friend. We had been texting often since I moved, with me telling him about my new life, and him filling me in on what was going on with him and Alison.

As soon as we got to talking, I realized just how much I missed having him around. We used to see each other at least once a week, usually more, so these few weeks that I’ve been gone were the longest period we’ve been apart.

“So, where do you like it better - here or there?” he asked. I could just imagine the evil smirk on his face as he was making me choose.

“I know you’re dying to tell me ‘I told you so’! But seriously, it can’t be compared,” I shook my head. “Don’t get me wrong, I like it here, I really do. It’s so relaxing and quiet, it feels like life is going by more slowly than in the city.”

“In other words - time is standing still and you’re bored?”

I had to laugh. “Yeah, but it’s not just that.”

“Then what else?”

“Well, sometimes I feel like Paris Hilton in The Simple Life, you know? I like it, but half the time I don’t know what I’m doing. Like, I’m trying to live my life the same way I did in Ryderville, but then I realize I can’t do that here. And it can be lonely, that’s for sure.”

“Maybe you just need some more time to adjust. You already said you liked it, right? And that’s the most important part. Everything else will fall into place in time,” Jae said and I already felt a bit better. I told you he was very intelligent and I wasn’t exaggerating.

“Yeah, I said it a million times and I guess I’ll say it again - you’re probably right,” I admitted, drawing out a satisfied laugh from the other side. “So, when are you gonna come over? Talk with Alison and get your butts over here already. I miss you, guys!”

“Hey, you’re the one with a car, you should come to us,” Jae countered. “And did you forget about The Thumbnails concert? You have to come and go with us?”

The Thumbnails were our favorite local indie band, consisting of two guys and a girl. One of the guys went to uni with us and he would always let us know when they were playing. I had completely forgotten they were scheduled to play at a club in the city in a few weeks.

“Shit, I totally forgot! When is it?” I asked.

“On the 27th. You can come, right?”

“I wouldn’t miss it! But don’t think you’re off the hook, you two still need to come and see my new home and everything! And besides, Alison’s got a car.”

“I know, we’ll make plans and let you know. I just don’t know when I’ll have the time, what with working two jobs and everything…”

“Your job search still not working out, huh?” I asked. I knew that ever since we finished uni, Jae hasn’t been able to find a job in his field, so he had to work two jobs as a waiter. The student loan wasn’t gonna pay for itself.

“What can I say, no one seems to need an archeologist.”

“Have you considered moving?”

“That’s what I’m gonna have to do, it seems,” he replied. Jae was never a big fan of changes, and the idea of moving from the city he spent his whole life in was unnerving for him. He didn’t like talking about it, so I wasn’t surprised when he casually changed the subject.

“So… How’s the market for gay boys at Taernsby? Or have people there not discovered Grindr yet?”

“I wouldn’t know, I didn’t even need to use Grindr,” I said, waiting for his reaction.

“You’re kidding?! You’ve actually met someone there?” Jae exclaimed, sounding nearly as surprised as when I told him I was moving.

“Yeah, I have. His name’s Tom,” I replied, already feeling a smile creeping up on my lips.

“Ooh, tell me more! What’s he like?”

“He’s very… Tom.”

“Well, that tells me everything,” Jae laughed softly.

“Heh, sorry but I don’t know quite how to describe him. He’s so different than any other guy I’ve gone out with.”

“So he’s not a narcissistic gym-freak?”

“Hey, that’s not the type I go for,” I started to protest, but he quickly shut me up with examples.

“Oh really? Dylan, Pedro, Luke-”

“Ok, ok, you’ve made your point,” I jumped in. Jae was having too much fun with this. “But yeah, Tom is not like them.”

I’m not sure if Jae believed when I told him we went on a picnic on our first date and didn’t go further than kissing. He probably expected to hear dirty details and was surprised that there weren’t any. In any event, I was happy he had called to catch up, and was looking forward to seeing my two best friends soon.

It wasn’t long after Jae and I finished our conversation that my phone buzzed again. It was Tom, responding to my message from earlier. He had returned from working in the field and was now free. I tapped a quick message to let him know I was on my way and headed out.

When I arrived, Tom was already outside on the front lawn, with his dog walking beside him. I waved as I approached them, crossing the street, and he waved back. His cute face lit up with the most brilliant smile. It felt good knowing that someone was so happy to see me.

“Hey, I missed you!” I told him as I approached and gave him a lingering hug.

“I missed you too! I had a great time yesterday,” Tom gushed, kissing me on the cheek.

“You look really nice,” I scanned him with my hungry eyes. He wore a simple white t-shirt that accentuated his tan, and sand-colored shorts that reached to his knees.

“Thanks, so do you. You always do!”

Bruno came without reservations and plopped down on the grass near my legs, turning over on his back. He was a huge St. Bernard that looked like an oversized stuffed animal. His fur was white, with light brown back and hind legs. His ears and parts of his head were a darker shade of brown. He was very calm and friendly, and his size only made him even cuter.

“This is Bruno. I think he’s happy to meet you,” Tom introduced us, crouching down next to his pet and started giving him belly rubs. I followed suit and scratched the dog’s tummy, my hand occasionally touching Tom’s. We looked at each other and smiled - it felt nice and easy.

They often say that pets look like their owners and vice versa, and I think that’s true in this case as well. Tom and Bruno didn’t physically look alike, but I found their personalities matched. Both of them were sweet, adorable and easy to get along with, easy to like. I was drawn to the guy from the moment I first laid eyes on him.

“He is so precious! How old is he?” I asked, moving my hand to scratch the dog’s neck. He then stuck out his long tongue and started licking my hand, making me giggle.

“Almost a year,” Tom said. “Yeah, he likes you.”

“I like him too,” I said looking at the dog, and then looked up at Tom and winked. “How did you get him?”

“Through Dave, that’s my sister’s husband. One of his friends had little puppies for sale, so I bought one.”

At that moment, the door to the house opened and a little ball of energy ran out, making noise.

“Uncle, I ate my dinner! Can I now play wi-” the little girl shouted as she ran toward us, until she noticed me and stopped.

“Mr. Greyston! Hey!” she exclaimed, surprised to see me.

“Hey, Kayla,” I waved to the girl. “You can call me Charlie when we’re not in class, ok?”

“OK! You’re not here for school, are you?” she frowned and I couldn’t resist chuckling.

“No, I came to see your uncle Tom.”

“Oh, ok! Because I didn’t finish homework yet, but I will,” she promised and knelt down to play with the dog. Bruno happily stretched and rolled around on the grass as the girl gave him belly rubs and talked to him. I don’t think homework was on her mind at all at that moment.

Tom and I stood up and started walking away, when an old man walked out of the house. It was Tom’s grandpa, Michael Claffey. He wore a plaid shirt, worn-out pants and glasses. What was left of his hair was all grey.

“Oh, I wasn’t aware we had guests,” he observed as he slowly came toward us.

“Grandpa, this is Charlie. Charlie, this is my grandpa,” Tom introduced us.

“Hi, Mr. Claffey, it’s nice to meet you,” I shook his hand.

“You too, young man. So, you’re the Greyston boy? I wouldn’t even have recognized you if I saw you on the street, you’ve grown up!”

“Yeah, it’s been a while since I’ve been here,” I nodded.

“Not much has changed here, as you can see. Taernsby is as nice and welcoming as ever,” he nodded and I could notice Tom rolling his eyes. “How’s your family?”

“They’re all doing well. My sister is starting uni this autumn, and mom and dad are still working.”

“That’s good. Your dad hasn’t been here in years. At least now someone’s going to take care of the property. Don’t wanna let it all get covered in weeds, hey?” He chuckled as if he was making a joke, but I could tell he was also being serious.

“Yeah, dad’s been busy with work,” I replied, not knowing what to say.

“And you came here to be a teacher, huh? That’s nice, coming back here to your roots. I’m sure you’ll do good here! And we’ve got plenty of young girls looking for bachelors. We’ll get you married in no time!”

“Great,” I nodded and smiled uncomfortably.

I noticed how different Mr. Claffey was from his wife. While she spoke about advising Tom to go out and explore, he seemed perfectly content with living here. I wondered how much of an influence he was on Tom.

After Kayla went back to her house, accompanied by her grandpa, Tom and I walked around, talking and enjoying each other’s company. He led me through their fields all the way to a rather large thicket of birch trees. There was a stream flowing through, and we set on the grass, watching the clear water pass by, cascading over the rocks.

“You do have all the best views,” I said, admiring the nature around me. I could see a bunch of tiny birds sitting on the branches - their song was all around us.

“Yup,” Tom chirped. “I do like my view right now.”

I turned to see him looking straight at me. We leaned at the same time and kissed - it was giving me life. It wasn’t just the fact that I was kissing this amazing, cute guy. When I was with him, I felt inspired and encouraged, as if life is simple and all of my problems would be easily resolved.

“Do you really like it here?” he asked me as we sat there, watching the sun slowly cross the sky, down toward the horizon. “In Taernsby, I mean.” He sounded insecure. Maybe he was afraid I’d leave him like Donovan did. I didn’t ask.

“I do,” I told him honestly. “But it’s tough. I feel like I need to learn so many things now.”

“Like what?” he asked curiously, scooting closer to me.

“Like how to fix a leaky roof without having to call you,” I replied, much to his amusement. “And for example, I have this big backyard, with all these sheds, chicken coops and what not. I have no use for them, do I just leave them be? And all of the fruit trees, I don’t know how to take care of them. Your grandpa is right - dad’s not coming and there’s no one to take care of it now.”

I remembered how grandpa would spray the trees to kill the insects and prevent diseases, all the while wearing a white mask over his face. If we happened to be visiting while he did that, Kim and I wouldn’t be allowed to go outside and play in that area so we wouldn’t inhale the fumes.

“I know grandpa used to prune them, spray them with chemicals and stuff, but I don’t know any of that,” I lamented. “Maybe I can look it up on YouTube?”

“You’re cute when you’re nervous,” Tom took my hand and squeezed it. “I can show you all of that if you want.”

“I don’t know. When I came here, I thought I’d just work as a teacher and enjoy the nature and fresh air. I didn’t realize I was going to have to work even when I get home,” I chuckled at myself, realizing how naive I must’ve sounded to him. “But thanks, you’re sweet. I’ll think about it. Maybe you could ease me into it.”

“You can work as much as you want to,” Tom shrugged. “If you don’t want to raise animals, grow your veggies and fruits, you don’t have to. You can relax, mow the lawn every now and then and buy the stuff you need from the store.”

“Oh, right. The store,” I sighed, remembering the annoying woman at the cash register.

“What’s the matter?” Tom asked.

“I kinda did something stupid the other day,” I winced, remembering the argument I had with Susan, the cashier. Tom laughed as I gave him a detailed account of what happened.

“Susan’s harmless, she just loves to talk,” he explained. “People are used to it, I guess. They don’t go to the store just to shop, but also to hear the latest gossip, you know?”

“So the store is like the town’s very own news channel?”

“Pretty much.”

After a while, we decided to go back to the house. We were in no rush, so we walked slowly along a beaten dirt path. When we were halfway there, Bruno saw us and joined in, walking by our side. Tom and I were close all the time, letting our hands touch and shoulders brush off of each other. I enjoyed those fleeting touches and I think he did too.

We finally sat on a bench behind his house, next to a large pine tree. Bruno laid down on the grass beneath our feet and Tom took off one of his slippers, scratching the dog’s belly with his bare foot. The big, cuddly animal closed his eyes and enjoyed the attention it was being given by its owner.

At one point, Tom and I raised our heads and looked at each other at the same time. There were many things I wanted to ask him and learn about him, but at that moment I think our lust prevailed over any desire for conversation we may have had. We brought our lips together and kissed. It was gentle at first, but then Tom put a hand on the back of my neck and pulled me closer. I put my hands on his waist and then deepened the kiss, opening my mouth. Our tongues connected and I couldn’t resist moaning a bit. He was such a good kisser and I was eager to try everything with him. Just a simple touch of his hand got me excited, but when he kissed me like that - I was burning on the inside.

Lost in the moment, we didn’t notice anything around us until we heard Bruno bark. Breaking the kiss, we turned to see Tom’s grandma standing nearby, a nervous, uncomfortable look on her face and a tray with two glasses of lemonade in her hand.

“Excuse me,” she said curtly and left, not looking at either of us.

Tom’s head dropped and he let out a heavy sigh. I felt bad for the guy. He’d told me his grandparents weren’t exactly crazy about him being gay, and now this sensitive issue was back in the forefront because of me.

“Tom, I’m sorry. I shouldn’t have-” I started to apologize, but he turned to me and took my hand, placing it on his thigh.

“Hey, it’s ok,” he smiled one of those smiles that told me he was only pretending to be strong. “You got nothing to be sorry for. I said I didn’t want to hide and I meant it. I, uh, I need to talk to them.”

He stood up, still holding my hand in his. I followed suit and gave him an encouraging smile. Even though I felt bad for potentially coming between Tom and his grandparents and ruining their seemingly perfect little family, I was fully prepared to stand beside him. I would not leave him hanging.

“Want me to come with you?”

“If you want to, yeah,” he nodded.

“Sure,” I smiled and followed him into the house.

Big thanks to everyone who is following this story! :) 
Copyright © 2019 ObicanDecko; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 32
  • Love 16
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Interesting  no hiding.  I am really enjoying this story, awesome chapter 

  • Like 2
Link to comment

I know I've been reading other people's stories lately but you're still my favorite author. I didn't betray you I swear! 😧

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
8 hours ago, Wesley8890 said:

I love this story and Kayla is soooo sweet. 

Thank you! Awww keep up with those cute avis! ^_^

8 hours ago, chris191070 said:

Awesome chapter. Kayla is so sweet.

Thanks, I'm glad you liked it!! :)

7 hours ago, mikedup said:

Interesting  no hiding.  I am really enjoying this story, awesome chapter 

Yay, that's so good to hear! :)

5 hours ago, jryski said:

I know I've been reading other people's stories lately but you're still my favorite author. I didn't betray you I swear! 😧

Wow thank you so much! ^_^ I hope I don't disappoint! 

  • Like 2
Link to comment

What a great chapter! Hopefully Tom’s grandparents love him unconditionally. Thank you!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
8 hours ago, Ivor Slipper said:

Seems a large cloud has just started to move towards the sun. 

It's definitely a cloud, but we'll see just how big.

4 hours ago, mfa607 said:

What a great chapter! Hopefully Tom’s grandparents love him unconditionally. Thank you!

Thank you for the kind words! We'll have to wait and see. :P 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment

Well, let’s see how well Charlie gets on with Tom’s grandparents. But at least Bruno approves. Will Charlie ask Tom back to the city with him? Can’t wait for the next chapter. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
On 5/11/2019 at 1:33 AM, Parker Owens said:

Well, let’s see how well Charlie gets on with Tom’s grandparents. But at least Bruno approves. Will Charlie ask Tom back to the city with him? Can’t wait for the next chapter. 

Yeah, the grandparents left a mixed first impression, so we'll see how things go on that front. As for going back to the city, I'm not sure yet. Who knows what they'll decide in the future. Thanks for all the reacts and comments! :) 

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..