Jump to content
  • Join Gay Authors

    Join us for free and follow your favorite authors and stories.

    P. E. Knapp
  • Author
  • 2,334 Words
  • 1,021 Views
  • 6 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
Mature Content. There are definitely scenes that require the use of the Violence, Sensitive Content, and Sexual Content tags. Generally spread through each book, but it’s only a small part of the story, not the entire story. If depictions of MM or MF sex, abuse and bullying or graphic fight and injury scenes bothers you, please don't read this story.

It All Started With A Shuttle Flight - 1. Chapter 1

This chapter has been revised. 08/22/2024
Mature Content: This story has scenes that require tags for Sexual Content, Violence and Sensitive Content. If abuse, fighting, injury and MM sex disturbs you. Then please don't read!

Moira Sector

Stanyear 4341

The shuttle weaved through the marked course as I was looking out the forward viewport, admiring the star-studded darkness.

“Are you sure?” asked my cousin Laura.

Upon my completion of inspecting the controls, a smile formed on my face as I adjusted them to match my personal preferences. One step closer to commanding a shuttle after I prove myself as a pilot through my upcoming Flight Exam. “Positive.” Carefully placing my hands on the controls and my feet on the pedals.

“I have the helm.”

As Laura lifted her feet and her hands rose in the air, I noticed the shift in the pedals.

“You have the helm.”

“Thanks.”

Sleek and fast, we tore through space. By testing the pedals and feeling the shuttle’s movement, I noted it moved as expected, but it only required a small amount of pressure to bring about the desired movement. As it should be for a shuttle with a racing pedigree. I could feel the power of the shuttle through the controls and my seat, thanks to the perfectly tuned Inertia Compensators. It sent a rush through me as the grin lifted the edges of my lips, and I nodded to myself.

“It’s sensitive.” Laura took notice of what I was doing while monitoring the scanners. Ever watchful of other ships and asteroids around us. Not that there were any asteroids on this track. This was a straightforward open space track with multiple turns, dives and corkscrew turns. All monitored by the beacons that mark the track.

I made a slight correction and rolled us into the next turn. It was as smooth as I expected it to be. Minimal side slide coming out of the turn as I straightened us out. We made another turn of the course with me at the helm.

“Nicely done, Marc. How about we run another training track? We’ll use Seven-B.”

Thinking it over as Laura tapped a new navigation course into the system.

My shoulders lifted in a shrug, then I realized Laura wouldn’t see that. “OK. Send me the parameters.”

“On your screen six.”

My eyes darted as I gave it a quick glance, looking at the posted maximum speed and a fast view of the outline. Smirking. Slow. For me anyway. Novice training course. That should do. I shifted us across the distance to the next training area and brought us into the circuit that would allow us to enter the center training lanes. Fifteen minutes later I was Comm’ng the Training Control Center.

“Track Seven Training Control, this is Shuttle Seven-Two-Eight Alpha. Marc Alexander piloting. Laura Bedinski in command. Request entrance lane onto Track Seven-B.”

I waited a few seconds for them to respond.

“Seven Control to Seven-Two-Eight Alpha. We have sent you a lane assignment. Two minutes to authorization.” A yellow pip and course popped up on my navigation screen. “When the pip turns green, you are a go to enter the lane and begin your run. Good luck and fly safe. Seven Control out.” Said the bored controller’s voice.

“Shuttle Seven-Two-Eight Alpha to Track Seven Training Control. Nav and lane assignment received. Awaiting green pip to proceed. Shuttle Seven-Two-Eight Alpha out.” I said as I joined the entrance lane behind another shuttle that just sped up for departure onto the track.

“Looks good Marc. Jump right to fifty percent once it hits green. When we enter the track, take us to seventy-five percent power, run a few laps to get the feel for this shuttle.” Said Laura, looking at our scanner displays of the traffic on the track.

“Sounds good.” I said, as my eyes followed the countdown. Flicking back and forth between the traffic scans and the shuttle’s flight instruments.

The AI started a count. “Five…Four…Three…Two…One” The tone sounded as the pip turned green. My right hand pushed the throttles forward slowly as I brought the power up and we sped down the merging lane. Halfway in, we were at fifty percent and climbing. My eyes darted from the screens to the forward viewport, then back to the controls. With a gentle push of my left foot, we smoothly slid onto the track, finalizing the last maneuver out of the merger lane. Spotting the shuttle racing up behind us as I pushed the throttles forward. I was a little rough, and the shuttle bolted forward, pushing us back into our seats.

“Gently Marc. They will go around us.” Another shuttle went whipping past our port side and moved over in front of us.

My eyes flicked to the screens, and I saw the next turn coming. Making another check out the forward viewport, then the scanner’s view around us. With a touch of pressure, I pushed and nudged the joystick in my hand. We tilted seven degrees to starboard as I navigated the turn. I had to release the joystick and wipe my palms on my shipsuit, as it was damp. I felt the hand pat my shoulder.

“Relax. You’re doing good.” Laura said, just as another shuttle passed us on the starboard side. And I will do well. My nervousness is mostly my desire to impress Laura, as she is an expert pilot and helmsperson. She should be, considering she is the Executive Officer aboard the fast freighter, Kilmeny. Even the name made me smile. It was an apt description of what that ship did, besides hauling freight. Her husband, Tyler Burden, is the Captain.

“We’ll run the track once and then you can let loose.” She said. Knowing that this track is not a true challenge for my piloting skills.

As I checked the screens and located everyone on the track. I made the next turn, which was a diving roll, and had us running fifty degrees down, almost one hundred and thirty degrees to port of our last position. My grin settled on my face as my excitement grew. We were heading down towards the asteroid belt. Where most people saw rocks. I see credits and it’s my home, away from home. Laura observed too as I caught her smile creep up the edges of her mouth as I relaxed into the seat.

I pushed the right peddle as I turned us into another straight away. I could now see the approach towards the field. It is not where I usually go to practice with my father or sister, but it looks like fun. I dove into the next change in the course, taking us almost 90 degrees down from our previous course as we entered the field. The asteroid fields weren’t as dense here, but sizes were smaller. Only seventy to two hundred meters in diameter. Not the mix I am used to. Where I would have smaller ones mixed in with giant eight hundred to seventeen-hundred-meter diameter rocks and larger with minor rotational speed. This field was stable, with little flow detected. No movement.

“We’re going to weave into the dense part soon.” Laura warned me as I watched my course and eyes flicked between various screens and the viewport.

I nodded as I dropped us into the next turn and immediately banked to port, turning twenty degrees before we straightened out. Sneaking us around another rock, turning to starboard before I glanced up, grinning as we headed straight towards another asteroid. Left peddle pressure while twisting my left hand left and forward, rolling into another dive under, pulling around the rock using afterburners. They call it the dip.

“Nice one Marc. Caitlin was right. You’re an impressive pilot in the asteroid belts.”

“I love it in here and I want to own a miner someday.” I smiled, elated, rolling us into the next turn that would take us back around towards the finish line after another few minutes in the field.

Laura just chuckled as she was tapping something on to her tablet as we approached the start/finish line of the track.

“Are you ready?” She asked as she checked her screens.

“Yes. Let’s go.” I said with a smile as she nodded.

“Open it up and let’s fly.” She said as I checked the pip, and it was flashing green. Meaning the timer would record once we crossed the Start/Finish Line to start our run. I smiled as I pushed the throttles up to one hundred percent power. Observing my speed, smiling, as I jetted across the line and the tone sounded.

“And we’re off.” As my hand reached over, I nudged the afterburners for a boost.

Laura glanced at me and gave a nod. I smiled as I brought us into the next two turns, slowing for the second. I opened the afterburners again and rocketed past one shuttle that passed us when we first arrived. One point Laura was gripping the armrests as I did a slow-turn-roll-dive-accelerate on the ascent, powering hard around the asteroid in the dip. Followed by my rocketing past another shuttle as we made our way towards the finish line.

Laura smiled as the tone sounded and we crossed the line before heading for the merge out lane and decelerated hard before making the turn into the Center Training area.

“Not bad Marc. Second fastest on the track today.” The Leader Board popped up onto my screen to see. Top scorer only beat me by seventeen point seven seconds. I just huffed out a small laugh.

“Anyone you know?” I asked, reading the name.

“The course controller. Zeus Kronis. He will find it amusing that you did it after running it once.” She said, smiling. That thought had me appreciate how the controls now feel as if they are a part of me, a far cry from how I felt two years ago when I first stepped into a live cockpit and sat in the seat with Dad coaching me every step of the way.

After landing in the hangar at Low Point Station, I took the time to walk around the shuttle as Laura finished up the last-minute details of her flight evaluation. The low hum of conversations reverberated off the high walls. Only to be drowned out by the clang of a tool hitting the metal deck. Followed by some muttered comments from that direction.

Our shuttle was a four-seater. Side by side, two forward and two back seating arrangement. This craft resembles a slender, arrow-shaped wedge with a cockpit near its center and an engine compartment in the rear. Fast and maneuverable with nice range. Good for a sector runabout, training and racing shuttle. Absolutely loving the polished silver coloring on the hull. I spotted some other small bulges on the underside that I will need to question Laura about in the future.

“Ready for your evaluation?” she asked as she stepped out of the hatch with her tablet in hand. Nodding, I followed her towards one of the small conference rooms of the hangar area. I gazed around at the various other shuttles. Big and small. Fast and slow. Everything from racers to heavy haul shuttles. Even a few prospector shuttles. I had to swallow the saliva in my mouth before I drooled as we entered a room and I sat across from Laura. I was looking forward to her evaluation of my piloting.

Twenty minutes later, we were leaving the conference room after a grueling post-flight debrief. I was stunned by her suggestion that I take the Assault Shuttle course the Marines teach, but overall, I welcomed the feedback. Both the good and the bad.

My stomach growled as I walked down the passageway and headed for the cafeteria. Waving at the gang as I walked in, heading straight for the line. Arms wrapped around me from behind in a hug. Chuckling, I spun in Hugo’s arms.

“Hey little bro.” I said as I kissed the top of his head.

“Hey big bro.” He said as he lifted up to kiss my cheek. “How did you do?” I smiled down at my friend as he released me. I didn’t quite sigh, but I would have enjoyed him holding me longer.

“I did good. Laura suggested I take the Assault Shuttle course.” I said. Grabbing a sandwich and a pack of fries. Hugo had already had my drink and one for him too, as I thumbed the tab.

“You should. Maybe I could too.” I tilted my head from side to side before I turned to him.

“What level is your Shuttle License?”

“Six. Just like yours will be.” He said as he poked me in the side. I side stepped to avoid the tickle.

“Let’s see if you can. That would be fun, I think. Something I can beat you at instead of being thrown around the mat all the time.” Which made Hugo hug me tight again.

“You love me throwing you around.” He said as we headed for the table. I nodded, which caused him to bump into me with a smile.

“Invitations went out today. Make sure you and your parents respond.” Hugo nodded as he pulled out a chair for me and sat back in his seat.

“They went out today?” Rachel asked. I smiled over at another of my close friends.

“Yes. You know who I invited, so please chase them down and tell them to respond quickly. I’m trying to push for the larger room and my favorite entertaining group.” Rachel was bouncing in her seat as she mentally went down the list, calling out names.

“Is that everyone from training?” She asked, and I had to think. Finally, I flipped my wrist and tapped my Link, sending her a copy of the guest list.

“Too many people and I don’t know where they are from. Just get the ones in class to respond.” I said just as her Link chimed.

“OK. I’ll get right on it. Hugo, we need to run.” She said as he flipped his Link and made the ‘Oh’ face, before he took off after patting my shoulder right behind Rachel.

Thanks for reading!
Copyright © 2024 P. E. Knapp; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 24
  • Love 9
  • Fingers Crossed 1
Thanks for reading!
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

7 minutes ago, centexhairysub said:

Sounds like Marc is learning to handle a number of different ships, and this would be to his advantage as it would give him exposure to a number of situations and scenarios.  Don't know enough about what is happening to see where this is going, but interesting none the less.  

Thanks for the comment!

I had a lot of fun working out the details for the world this story takes place in. Using experiences from different locations and cultures I've seen to flesh out the characters themselves. It has made for interesting writing. Hope you enjoy the future chapters, which currently stands at 29 for this book. 

  • Like 5
Link to comment

Getting the feeling something is up, the following piqued my curiosity...

Our shuttle was a four-seater. Side by side, two forward and two back seating arrangement. This craft resembles a slender, arrow-shaped wedge with a cockpit near its center and an engine compartment in the rear. Fast and maneuverable with nice range. Good for a sector runabout, training and racing shuttle. Absolutely loving the polished silver coloring on the hull. I spotted some other small bulges on the underside that I will need to question Laura about in the future.

Whatever has our pilot noticed on the hull and what would their purpose be???

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
  • Fingers Crossed 1
Link to comment
On 7/9/2024 at 10:18 PM, centexhairysub said:

Sounds like Marc is learning to handle a number of different ships, and this would be to his advantage as it would give him exposure to a number of situations and scenarios.  Don't know enough about what is happening to see where this is going, but interesting none the less.  

Thanks for the comment! 

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
On 8/13/2024 at 9:26 PM, ReaderPaul said:

Getting more and more interesting.

Thanks for the comment @ReaderPaul!

I wrote this as a slow burn. More and more information are slowly released as the story goes on.

  • Love 3
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..