Jump to content
    quokka
  • Author
  • 607 Words
  • 1,116 Views
  • 10 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

David F - 1. DF Chapter 1

Authors Note"
Highly recommend that you read the book - I Am David by Anne Holm first...

After spending the past two years as part of an International Research Expedition at Antarctica, Davis was now making the long journey home to Copenhagen, via Hobart, Australia, where he was part of the Australian Antractic Division Research team.

Since being reunited with his mother in Copenhagen, just over twelve years ago, David had completed his education and gone on to complete a double degree at Oxford University, in the UK with a Bachelor in Education and a Bachelor in Science with Honours in the field of Geophysics and Geodynamics.

It was just four months after graduating with his double degrees, that he was accepted to participate in the Antarctic research programme, so he resigned from his part time job of teaching in a high school in the City of Leeds in the UK, to take up his postion, and travelled to Hobart, Australia to begin his training.

Now two years later, having completed a number of successful research projects in his specialty field of Geophysics, he was looking forward to seeing his mother Edith again, and before boarding his first flight from Hobart, he telephoned her, to inform her that he was returning home.

With fluency in Danish, English, German, Italian, Greek and that language he rarely speaks now, because of what he went through in his early years of his life – Bulgarian, David was often called on to help translate, when there was ever any language barrier issues.

On his second flight from Sydney to Singapore, he thought of what he went through as a young teenager, escaping from that concentration camp, and travelling all the way to Denmark to locate his mother – Edith, and before landing, he made the decision that he would make a pilgramage back to some of those places that he travelled through, and some of the people that he met, during his difficult journey to freedom.

David had kept a life diary since returning home to Denmark, and he was thinking of turning it into a book some day, but for now, he just wanted to get home and be with his mother again, and to relax for a while, before starting to plan for his pilgamage.

On arrival home he was greeted warmly by his mother, and he took a few days to just rest and relax, before breaking the news to her about his plans to make a trip to see some of the places that his travelled through when he was just twelve years old.

Edith was very concerned about this and encouraged David not to go ahead with these plans, but David informed his mother that he needed to do this, to be able to put the past to rest once and for all, and with that said, Edith agreed that he should go.

David took a few weeks to prepare for this road journey, and it was the first day of summer when he was finally ready to start his pilgamage, having planned the trip in minute detail of were he was going, but this time in the reverse direction.

Leaving his home city of Kolding, his first destination is the border town of Padborg in southern Denmark, the first main town that he came too on arrival in Denmark, after crossing the border from Germany.

At just eighty kilometres, the journey would only take him an hour, but he decided to take a little longer, calling in at a number of the smaller towns on the way, just to see how much they have changed in the twelve years since he was last there, and he would stay overnight here.

Copyright June 2022 All Rights are Reserved, Preston Wigglesworth
  • Like 16
  • Love 7
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Preston, an intriguing chapter to start off a new (?) story.

This is an interesting premise on which to continue a previously told story.  Disregarding the original was written in 1963, I am interested in the 'time frame / era' in which this continuation of 'I am David' takes place. (especially since you 'suggest' readers to read Anne Holm's original book).

In her original story, 12-year old David escapes from a concentration camp (likely Soviet) in an unnamed East European country. During his months long journey to reach his mother Edith in Denmark, David travels through East Germany to get to West Berlin (and loses his companion dog 'King' who gives up his life so David can escape). This tells us David was in the 'camp' before November 1989. That sets your continuation 'correctly' somewhere in 2002? Or are we suspending 'space and time'?

Conundrums in stories beg for answers to questions (at least for some readers). 

Looking forward to see how David's journey goes, and the 'troubles' that may await him along the way.

Ooh

Edited by Anton_Cloche
  • Like 2
  • Love 3
Link to comment

I’ll have to find the book your talking about and read it. I will say that this was a new way to start a story for you.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
quokka

Posted (edited)

My guess is that it was in Bulgaria, where the detention camp was located. As suggested in the fifth paragraph…

Q

Edited by quokka
  • Like 3
Link to comment
quokka

Posted (edited)

Just discovered that there is a movie of the book, also called I am David.

Lionsgate is the Production Co. 2003

The movie also puts the camp located in Bulgaria.

Edited by quokka
  • Like 3
Link to comment
7 minutes ago, Freemantleman said:

I'm just plain confused !?!? 

Confucius say sit in round room and stare at the corner…

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Just now, quokka said:

Confucius say sit in round room and stare at the corner…

Lol, just kidding… not really trying to confuse you mate…

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment

Just finished watching the movie on Prime. Interesting to watch it, compared to the story that i read as a 15 yo in high school.

Well worth watching the movie…

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Thanks, again I have something new as a history lover to peruse...

Do you plan on additional chapters of this story?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..