Jump to content
    quokka
  • Author
  • 1,803 Words
  • 1,513 Views
  • 4 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Deep Space Settlement - 3. DSS Chapter 3

“Well I think that is just being greedy, not letting us have the technology that you have” one council member shouted, “Ma’am, it is angry outbursts like that, which demonstrates our views that no one on Earth can be trusted with such advanced technology, we the Sahndrol people live in peace and harmony, as we have for centuries and many generations past, and we do not want to see Earth and it’s people destroyed by greed.

I thank you for your time today, good day to you” Lucas said, and he turned and walked to the entrance to the chamber.

With it being the first time in the building, Lucas was not sure which was the way out, and he looked up and down the corridor, confused. “Mr Durham, allow me to transport you to our embassy so that you can rest until your transport is ready to collect you,” Mr Matterson said as he exited the chamber a few moments later.

When Lucas arrived at the New Zealand Embassy on Lower East Side of New York, he was quite shocked at the rough-looking building that the Embassy occupied, but he waited until they were inside the building, and seated in one of the lounge rooms before commenting.

“I am appalled at the condition of this building, it is a disgrace that the City of New York would allow for an Embassy to be base in such a building,” he said to Mr Matterson.

I agree with you whole-heartedly Mr Durham” a man said as he entered the room, and we both stood up, “May I present His Excellency, the Diplomatic Envoy of the United Republic of Planets, Mr Lucas Durham, sir this is our Ambassador, His Excellency Mr Martin Stewart” Mr Matterson said making the introductions, before being invited to sit.

“Sir, can you please accept a gift from our people to yours, by allowing us to build you a new modern Embassy, we will even throw in some technology, to stop anyone from listening into any conversations” Lucas offered.

“That is a very generous offer, but real estate is very expensive here in New York” the Ambassador responded, “Oh I have just the perfect place for it, I tested out the site personally only a few hours ago,” Lucas said with a huge grin on his face, “You mean where you landed the shuttle?” Mr Matterson asked sounding shocked, “Yep, that’s the place, just across the road from the United Nations Building” Lucas replied.

Everyone laughed at Lucas’s confidence, “If you can pull that off you have a deal” the Ambassador said, shaking Lucas’s hand. “In Sahndrol, we have a metal that is too soft for any general use, but I believe it is used as a form of currency here on Earth, and we have plenty of it,” Lucas said, and both the Ambassador and Mr Matterson looked shocked. “You mean gold, don’t you,” the Ambassador asked and Lucas just smiled and nodded his head.

“We always keep plenty with us, just in case we need to make any purchases, I will have some dropped off to you when the shuttle returns, so you can make a bid for the land, and leave it up to us to organise construction, and you will be very pleased with the result.

Not even explosives will be able to move the building, and it will be so strong, that one of our shuttles will be able to land on the roof, with no concerns for its weight” Lucas said.

Lucas was shown to a meeting room, where he was given access to a laptop computer, and a telephone, so he could look into purchasing the land required to build a new Embassy for New Zealand. When he exited the meeting room about two hours later, he had a big smile on his face.

“By the looks on your face, you have secured the land to build the new embassy?” Mr Matterson said to Lucas.

“I have, but it is not the property that I was originally thinking of but is in just as good position, but a little further away from the United Nations Building” Lucas replied. “What would be better than that vacant plot next to the UN?” Mr Matterson asked, “How about a large plot of land at Green Point?” Lucas announced.

“What near the India Jetty?” the Ambassador asked sounding very surprised. “Yes, that is the spot, I have secured the land between West street, Eagle street to the North and Huron street to the South and the river, include Green and Freeman streets, which is 36,450 square metres or 9 acres of private river frontage land, and only 240 metres downstream from the United Nations Building” Lucas responded.

“Well, that is a big surprise, do we really need to have that much land?” the Ambassador asked. “Well I was thinking of turning it into an Embassy village, inviting your Commonwealth friends, Australia and Canada to make the move too” Lucas suggested, which made the Ambassador chuckle.

“Actually, that would be a very good idea, that way we can guarantee privacy from other embassies, and still have close relations with our Commonwealth neighbours.

I will send a confidential message over to both of their embassies to see what they think of the idea, and we will get back to you about it as soon as possible” the Ambassador said. “It is good doing business with you Sir,” Lucas said.

When the shuttle arrived, landing at the same location as before, Lucas and his two guards were waiting, and waving to Mr Matterson, they boarded the shuttle and headed up until nearly out of sight, before heading south-west for New Zealand.

“Sir another shuttle has arrived at the Earth base, to bet it operational again, as Lord Lenegan thought it would be a good idea to have the base operational, while you are doing your work on Earth” one of the pilots informed Lucas, who nodded to say he understood, and he closed his eyes to rest for a while.

Once they had arrived at the Earth base just off the coast of New Zealand, Lucas headed to the conference room, to call home to Ganymede. “Hello my friend, how are things on Earth,” Quinn said when the video link connected. “Good, I got a standing ovation in the Security Council chambers after my speech.

Oh, and you should see the building that the New Zealand government has for their embassy, it is old and rundown on the outside” Lucas said in reply. “Well tell them that we will buy some land and build a brand new one for them,” Quinn said, and Lucas chuckled at his good friend’s comment.

“What is so funny?” Quinn asked, “I have already done that, I bought 9 acres of land on the other side of the river and slightly downstream from the United Nations building, and all we have to do is submit a plan to the city of New York, and we can start building,” Lucas said, and this time it was Quinn who was chuckling.

“Well, I am glad that you have done that, even without my approval, so do you have any ideas how we can get around the City of New York knowing the exact layout of the buildings, and why so much land?” Quinn asked.

“Well I grabbed all of the land there, with an agreement that we will build a two-level carpark at the far Eastern side, and we will build 4 six-level buildings, one for New Zealand, and if they wish, one for Australia, one for the UK and one for Canada,” Lucas said, “Well that is smart thinking, but what if they don’t want to move?’ Quinn said.

“Well then we just lease out those buildings out, with other Commonwealth countries having first bids” Lucas responded, “I like your thinking there, and what about utilities etc?” Quinn asked.

“Well I am thinking that we have a desalination plant in the basement, to produce and store fresh water, and solar panels on the side, to cut down on power usage, and of course a landing pad on the roof, so the shuttles can land there when need be.

Also, because it is fairly close to the Atlantic Ocean, and being on the East River, I am thinking that the ground floor be just the feet of the building, plus the entry foyers, in case of any king waves or storm surges bringing in lots of water” Lucas said, “All good points, put them all down in a report, and we will get our best designers to come up with a design” Quinn said.

Within a month, a design had been made, with all four buildings being identical and octagonal in shape, A fifth building in the centre is an Embassy Convention Centre, that has the ground and 1st floor as one big open function room, with the first floor having a small mezzanine balcony. The second floor has the kitchen and stores, plus a formal dining room, two storerooms and the Security office.

The third floor, has two conference rooms, a meeting room and two storerooms. On the second floor, there is a second set of stairs and elevator, to provide access to the floors above.

The fourth and fifth floors are identical, with two storerooms, a large meeting room and two conference rooms. Each level has two sets of bathrooms, and a small central foyer, where the stairs and elevator are located.

Each embassy has a semi-open ground floor, that can be used for small functions, the first floor has the reception foyer, two large administration offices, and a staff lounge room.

The next level up has the formal dining room, kitchen and stores, a lounge room and a meeting room, while the third floor has the executive offices, a conference room, plus a large living room and a billiards room.

Level four has two royal suites, a royal lounge and a large library, and finally, the fifth floor, has the Executive Suite, a guest suite, and two lounge rooms. On the north side of the Embassy compound, is the New Zealand and Australian Embassies, and on the south side is the UK and Canadian Embassies.

There is a North and South entry to the compound, depending on which embassy the visitors wish to visit, with the UK and New Zealand embassies facing the river, and the other two facing the main access road.

Next door, there will be a 3-level cark park, with the top level for embassy vehicles only, and above that is a three-level apartment building to accommodate the staff from all 4 embassies, with seventy-two 2-bedroom apartments in total, with 16 apartments facing outwards, and 8 apartments facing the central courtyard.

Updated
Copyright October 2018 Preston Wigglesworth All Rights Are Reserved
  • Like 18
  • Love 9
  • Haha 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Another fantastic chapter. Lucas has been a busy man not only is he meeting with the United Nations Security Council to try to get them to stop their fighting over the technology and bases off world. After the initial meeting with the members of the UNSC he was taken to the New Zealand Embassy where he could rest while waiting for his shuttle to pick him up. When he saw the building that New Zealand was using he proposed an offer to buy a plot of land so he could design and have a better embassy built including some technology. The land Lucas was considering was directly across from the UN. He wasn’t able to get that land but he was able to purchase 9 acres of land just down and across the river from the UN, the land would include enough buildings to house not only the New Zealand Embassy but also embassies for Canada, Australian and United Kingdom, along with a 3 story parking garage and a 62 unit apartment building. Lucas’s plans were submitted to the New York building department and they were approved. I’m waiting for the next chapter to see if Lucas is able to get the embassy’s are being built and if he is able to get the United Nations to stop their bickering and start working together with all the nations 🙂😋

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Love that some of the good guys are going to get new embassies and maybe a little advantage on the playing field.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..