Jump to content
    quokka
  • Author
  • 1,496 Words
  • 2,485 Views
  • 9 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Deep Space Settlement - 2. DSS Chapter 2

Four hours ago, a second attack was made, and this time the shuttles were able to land on the planet and using small arms weapons, they managed to deactivate 6 of the 8 cannons that protect the academy, so it will be their third go that will get the NASC into the Lunar Base for sure.

They have also sent a distress signal to us, requesting urgent assistance. All I have done is acknowledge that we have received there and that I am awaiting orders from the Capital” Lucas reported. “I see, well I think we need to go directly to the United Nations on this matter.

Call them, and let them know that I will authorise an independent mediator to travel to Earth, as long as a temporary truce is made between all parties, for a period of four days, and that the UN has to guarantee the safety of you and your two guards” Quinn announced.

“I will do that right away sir, and I am thinking of approaching the UN Security Council, and putting to them that the only way to guarantee a lasting peace, is if all UN member countries have equal access to the Security Council, meaning they disband the old an outdated system of 5 permanent and ten temporary members to the Security Council, and replace it with a 15-member security council.

I suggest that each member country elected onto the Security Council, hold the position for three years, instead of the two years, as with the current system, with 1/3rd of the membership changing every year” Lucas suggested. “I like that idea very much, and it would resolve the continued problems the Security Council has been dealing with since the end of World War two, back in 1945.

Right, notify the UN, then wait for a response, and if they accept the offer, you can go, but if they don’t accept it, or the hostilities don’t stop, then you will have to do your mediating from here, as I am not risking anyone being caught up in this conflict” Quinn said.

“Understood sir, and thank you,” Lucas said, I will be here for a few days, so if you do go down there, I will be monitoring everything, and the guards are to go unarmed and have the shuttle drop you off at the UN and leave right away and inform the pilots to wait at the former Earth Base at New Zealand, while they are waiting,” Quinn said as Lucas began to leave the conference room, and Lucas nodded his head in understanding before leaving.

Just over an hour later, Quinn was informed that he shuttle was ready for departure, after receiving a guarantee from the United Nations that there will be a temporary truce, effective immediately, for a period of four days, and Quinn gave the go-ahead, with the best of luck for the diplomatic negotiations.

When the shuttle arrived in New York, the only place to land was on a vacant plot of land, right across the road from the United Nations Building. At 220 metres long and 80 metres wide, the shuttle fitted onto the vacant plot of land with a little bit of room to spare. The shuttle has two decks and can accommodate 4 crew and 12 guests for an unlimited amount of time, and once closed and secured, nothing on Earth can penetrate its outer shell.

As the shuttle shut down its engines, a huge crowd quickly gathered, and the local police force, who had been warned of the arrival of the United Republic of Planets of Sahndrol shuttle, and quickly shut down the traffic and stop pedestrian from getting too near.

As Quinn and his two guards stepped out of the shuttle, a limo arrived to ferry them the short 300 metres to the front gates of the United Nations building, and once in the Limo, the shuttle started up and slowly lift up and clear of all buildings, before disappearing at a fast speed out of sight.

“Your Excellency, my name is Jared Matterson, New Zealand Representative to the United Nations,” a gentleman said as we entered the main building, after being screened for any illegal items. “Mr Matterson, I am Lucas Durham, Director of the Space Research and Training Academy on Mars, and Diplomatic Envoy on behalf of Lord Quinn Lenegan” Lucas replied.

“Sir, the Security Council is about to sit for its afternoon session, and the 15 country members are aware of your pending arrival and are looking forward to hearing your views on the current crisis with the Lunar Base – Prometheus” Mr Matterson informed Lucas, as he led the way through the building, and fifteen minutes and quite some distance later, they entered the Security Council Chambers.

“Members of the Security Council, Ladies and Gentlemen, please welcome the His Excellency Mr Lucas Durham, the Diplomatic Envoy of the United Republic of Planets of Sahndrol” someone announced, and everyone stood and clapped as Lucas was lead towards the front of the chamber.

“Security Council Members, Ladies and Gentlemen, thank you for the welcome and allowing me to speak to you today, as we are all aware the situation at the Luna Base known as Prometheus, has been attacked by a known rogue space agency, to try and gain control of the base, as there for a place to force goodness knows what, onto the people of Earth.

The regent of Sahndrol, Her Serine Highness Natihya, gave the order for the citizen to leave the Luna Base, plus recall all citizens working on Earth, back to the capital of Ganymede, for one reason and only one reason, it is the belief of Peace and Harmony that allows the Sahndrol people to live the way they have for centuries and many generations, so anyone that wants to call us cowards for being that way, go ahead, it will not change our views and actions.

I come here today, to ask… to put to you a proposal, that may assist with having long-time peace here on Earth. I understand that one of the United Nations millennium development goals is to develop a global partnership for development. If that is to be achieved, some changes need to be made.

It is the recommendation of the Sahndrol Empire that all UN member countries have equal access to the Security Council, meaning the disbanding of the old an outdated system of 5 permanent and ten temporary members to the Security Council, and replace it with a 15-member security council, with rotational members.

We suggest that when a member country is elected onto the Security council, they hold the position for three years, instead of the two years, as with the current system, with 1/3rd of the membership changing every year” This would resolve the continued problems the Security Council has been dealing with since the end of World War two, back in 1945. I know you have been debating this issue in the more recent years, but now is the time to act.

Give equal access to all member countries, with 2 or 3 members from each region, so that all members countries around the world have a voice. Thankyou” Lucas said and suddenly everyone in the chamber was on their feet applauding until the chairperson called for order.

“Mr Durham, thank you for your address today, we will take this recommendation to a vote later in the day, and we will try and let you know of the outcome. You said you currently don’t have any Sahndrol citizen on Earth anymore, how may we be able to contact you?” the Security Council Chairperson asked, “Sir, if you inform the New Zealand Embassy, they will be able to contact me” Lucas replied, “One last matter, does the United Republic of Planets plan to have Embassies on Earth again, once this matter is sorted?” the Chairperson asked.

“I am not sure sir, as that will be a decision of the High Council, so I will pass on a message when that decision has been made” Lucas replied. “Mr Matterson, does the New Zealand government still own the island where the URPS Earth base is located?” the Chairperson asked the New Zealand representative, “No sir, the island was sold to the United Republic of Planets, and as far as I am aware they still own it, even if there are no personnel on the island” Mr Matterson replied.

“One last question Mr Durham, if I may. If the Sahndrol Empire decides to continue having representation on Earth, will it consider having the Earth base here or close to New York?” the Chairperson asked, “Once again sir, that would be a decision of the High Council of the United Republic of Planets, which is based at Jupiter. Although we can get almost instant communication with the Capital from here, to actually travel between the two planets takes, 3 days to complete the journey” Lucas replied.

Updated
Copyright October 2018 Preston Wigglesworth All Rights Are Reserved
  • Like 18
  • Love 9
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are some really interesting concepts in the world you built here.   I would put emphasis on 1) editing/proofing and 2) character development.  I'd like to have an opportunity to get to know this universe and some people in it.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
8 minutes ago, GanymedeRex said:

There are some really interesting concepts in the world you built here.   I would put emphasis on 1) editing/proofing and 2) character development.  I'd like to have an opportunity to get to know this universe and some people in it.

Thanks mate.

did you read book one first?

Editing and proof reading have been done.

Remember that I am Australian, so proper Queens English is what I use for writing my stories.

Q

 

Edited by quokka
  • Like 2
Link to comment
47 minutes ago, GanymedeRex said:

There is a book one?   No wonder I was a bit confused, now to read that first part.....

Lol, yes, it is called Deep Space Journey.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

I agree that this was a great chapter. I’m glad that Lucas was able to go to the UN to try to resolve the hostility that is going on about the moon base as well as the ISS Prometheus. His plan to change the UN Security Panel to include representatives from all United Nations countries so they would all have a say in the way that security issues are resolved. Another proposal from Lucas was that the UN Security Council have each term be 3 years instead of part of the members serving 2 years and the rest serving only 1 year. As far as the URPS having embassies on earth again Lucas said that would be up to the high council. Waiting for the next chapter.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
9 hours ago, GanymedeRex said:

There is a book one?   No wonder I was a bit confused, now to read that first part.....

 

8 hours ago, quokka said:

Lol, yes, it is called Deep Space Journey.

Deep Space Journey is found here:      https://www.gayauthors.org/story/quokka/deep-space-journey/

 

Much background is explained.  Very Helpful.

 

@quokka, I am glad to see this sequel.  I enjoyed the first story in this, and very much look forward to this one.

  • Love 2
Link to comment

I will echo the suggestion made by several commentators about editing and beta readers. I have never found fault with the  'Queen's English' as a matter of fact, I most frequently find that the English used by the Brits on GA to be much better than mine.

The situations delineated by the author, Q are the same sorts of arguments that have been going on in the UN ever since its founding. I do not feel that they will be solved in four days, or as argumentative and self-concerned as the representatives are, in four hundred days.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment

I am glad that the URPS was willing to step in and try to mediate the situation.  That said; I can not see three of the permanent members of the security council ever agreeing to give up their advantages.  China, Russia, and to a lesser extent the US have used their position on that body as both a hammer to attack other members and as a shield to prevent their actions from being effected by outside observers.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..