Jump to content
    quokka
  • Author
  • 1,592 Words
  • 2,148 Views
  • 5 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Deep Space Settlement - 1. DSS Chapter 1

During the next four years, activity at the Lunar base – Prometheus, had increased dramatically. The International Space Federation has been working closely with the United Republic of Planets, to expand the size of the lunar base, to allow for a lot more people to live on the Earth’s moon, and to date, the population on Prometheus is 958 people, and they were from all of the ISF member countries, along with Canada, New Zealand, Australia, Chile, Brazil, Zimbabwe, Kenya and Spain.

What was worrying the ISF and also the United Republic of Planets to Sahndrol, is that the governments of China, North Korea and Taiwan, have combined together to create the North Asia Space Consortium, and as a result of this the International Space Federation has cancelled China’s membership and involvement with the ISF.

The problem is that because China is a permanent member of the United Nations, they have spent the past six months demanding that the ISF allow membership to all United Nations countries, no matter what their political background is, but as the new Foreign Minister, to the United Kingdom pointed out, is that the ISDF is not part of the United Nations, it is an independent organisation, as agreed on by the United Nations over 4 years previous.

Another event that has taken place in the past few years is the breakaway and independence of the Far East Federation of Russia, which is now called Republic of North East Asia or RONEA for short, with Vladivostok as its’ capital city.

The populations on the 8 URPS colonies had only increased by new births at the colonies, but the size of each colony had grown, to allow more recreational space for everyone, and the Scorpion Space Station, now has an additional two decks on it.

With the growing tensions happening on Earth, it was Natihyas’ decision that the United Republic of Planets of Sahndrol pulls out of any involvement with Prometheus Luna Base all together, and a message was sent to Lucas and Franklin.

“By order of the Her Serene Highness, Natihya Lyengyn and Lord Quinn Lyengyn, all United Republic of Planets of Sahndrol citizens, are ordered to quickly and quietly prepare for travel back to Ganymede, with all property of the UFPS to be brought back to Ganymede. This is due to the continued tensions with the ISF and other space agencies on Earth”.

Lucas was not surprised that this order had come, and he contacted each of the Ambassadors on Earth and informed them of the decision. Within two days, without creating any undue attention, Lucas had all of the URPS shuttles at Prometheus, along with the Ambassadors, their families and staff.

By that time, two large cargo ships had arrived from Ganymede, having been sent three days earlier, and the shuttles and other equipment that was not to remain, was loaded on board, and they left Prometheus and Earth, for the last time until things settle down again.

All that remained at Prometheus, was the ISF staff who were stunned when they saw all the departure preparations being made, including taking all of the URPS shuttles, leaving behind just three Shuttles that were built on Earth.

By the time that the ISF Director for Prometheus was able to contact his superiors at the ISF headquarters in Geneva, the two cargo ships had already left, leaving behind a stunned group of Prometheus staff. One thing that Luca left behind in his office, was a recorded message from his good friend – Lord Quinn Lenegan.

“As you know, I am Lord Quinn Lenegan of the United Republic of Planets of Sahndrol. As you may be aware by now, all citizens of the URPS have been recalled back to our capital city of Ganymede, this is due to the continued unrest taking place on Earth, with the breakaway space agency, and some countries continued demand for access to space bases no only on the Moon, but beyond that.

Since it was the Sahndrol Empire who built and populated the 8 colonies in that solar system, the people of Earth have no right whatsoever, on who can or can’t be on those planets where the colonies are located. Which I may remind you are the only planets that are suitable to colonisation, with the rest having no suitable environment or temperatures.

We have built a colony on your planets moon, which we are happy to relinquish ownership and control over to the International Space Federation, but not with any of our technology or equipment. The technology that is on Prometheus is equal to that on Earth and no more.

What you have on Prometheus, should be enough for the International Space Federation, to keep you occupied till such time, as hostilities with space travel and colonisation have ceased. We wish you the best of luck with your future space explorations, and we will be monitoring everything from our base on the planet Mars, Goodbye for now”.

When the ISF executive finished viewing the recorded message, there was silence in the room for some time. “Well that does it now, you lot just can’t accept the benefits that we could have with the United Republic of Planets, you just had to just keep pushing for greater access to other planets and their more advanced technology,” one of the European Space Agency members said angrily.

“I agree with our fellow executive, this now puts us back a decade from getting anywhere near, getting past the Moon for exploration and colonisation,” another member said.

“Well there is not much we can do about it now is there, and now even the United Nations security council is ignoring our calls for blockades and other action against the three-member countries of the North Asia Space Consortium” the executive chairman stated.

“So, what do we do now, from what Mr O’Reilly on Prometheus has informed us, they have taken everything of theirs, leaving just the shuttles that are up there now, plus the four we have down here?” another Executive member asked. The chairman stood up and paced back and forth for a few moments, before stopping and facing his colleagues.

“With the situation with the North Asia Space Agency, we can’t take any chances, we need to get as many people up there as possible, to protect our one and only asset, that being Prometheus,” he said before sitting down.

Everyone present was all in agreement with the Chairman’s suggestion, and so preparations began to get a full complement of people up to the Prometheus Luna Base, to protect it from the NASC - North Asia Space Consortium, and ensure that strict security procedures are put into place upon Prometheus.

When Prometheus was built, Quinn made sure that the security camera’s that are located all over the Luna Base, transmit the recordings of the security cameras by a communication’s pulse that lasts only a few seconds and are sent every 6 hours to the SRTA - Space Research and Training Academy on Mars, and this is how Quinn would be able to monitor everything happening on Prometheus.

Quinn assigned two security officers per shift to go through the recordings, and take note of anything that is deemed suspicious or something serious occurs at Prometheus so that Quinn can view it, without having to go through all of the recordings himself.

It was just over five weeks after all of the United Republic of Planets of Sahndrol citizens were called away from Earth and Prometheus when some events started to take place. At that time, Quinn was on his way to Mars to have a meeting with Lucas, who has taken over as Director of the Research and Training Academy on Mars, when the video conference was made.

“I know that you are on your way here, and you are 11 hours away, but this couldn’t wait, the Prometheus has been under attacked, and by the looks of it, the North Asia Space Agency are responsible” Lucas informed Quinn. “This is why Natihya wanted us out of the way. As we don’t want to be caught up in any war or conflict of any kind” Quinn said to his good friend.

“Sir… Quinn, I would like to go there and try and negotiate a peace between the groups that are in conflict, I promise that I will not take sides, I really think they need an independent mediator, to try and resolve this matter” Lucas said sounding very concerned.

“We will discuss this some more when I get there, and in the meantime prepare yourself and two guards to travel to Earth, but not until I get there and speak to you face to face, do you understand me?” Quin responded. “Understood sir, and thank you, see you when you get here,” Lucas said smiling, before terminating the video conference link.

As soon as the shuttle landed at the SRTA, Quinn saw an official welcome party waiting for him, with Lucas amongst them. Once he had inspected the guards of honour, Quinn insisted that they head to the conference centre right away. “So, what has happened since we last spoke?” Quinn asked his good friend.

“Well sir, it appears that the International Space Federation was prepared for their attack, as they had managed to install cannons around the perimeter of the Academy, and the first two shuttles that approached had no chance, and sustained heavy damage, it is uncertain if they were able to return to Earth without burning up when entering the atmosphere.

Updated
Copyright October 2018 Preston Wigglesworth All Rights Are Reserved
  • Like 14
  • Love 9
  • Wow 3
  • Angry 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

I agree with chris191070 this was a great chapter. It appears to me that the decision made for the URPS citizens return to Ganymede before things got completely out of control. The return was not only for the personal and their families but they also took any equipment & ships they had at their bases. I’m glad that they were able to get away before the Prometheus came under fire from the North Asia Space Agency. This all started because the ISF and the NASA were fighting for the right to get more technology and the ability to colonize plants that were under the URPS control. I hope that Lucus is able to get all parties in the fighting for space control in the same room so that he can try to mediate a peace treaty with these two warring groups. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment

In a situation like this, it is always the mediator who is placed at the greatest risk. Good luck to Lucas and take care.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Excellent start to this story; I just found that there were additional books to the first story and am reading them now.  

Can't say that I am surprised about the fact that squabbling on Earth would follow out into space.  Humans are in general incapable of getting along; I truly think there is something genetically wrong with large portions of the population of Earth.  The need to try and get something over on the URPS was just the start and the attack by one group against the other will only get worse; I do hope that I am wrong but...  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..