Jump to content
    quokka
  • Author
  • 2,333 Words
  • 1,994 Views
  • 3 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Desert Air - 35. DA Ch 35 - Army Drops In

After twenty minutes there was still no sign of the family plane, so I was beginning to worry that something may have happened, and I was just about to make a call home, when I saw our family plane landing. “Sorry about the delay children, I got caught up with problems on the station and also had a flat tyre on the drive back to the homestead,” Dad explained, as we headed out to the plane and stowed away our luggage, before climbing in.

“You can be the senior pilot home son, I am fairly tired from all of the work today,” Dad said to me, as I closed and secured the door, before taking the left seat, and it wasn’t long before we were in the air again and heading for Marble Bar Airport.

Once we had landed and I had taxied into our new aircraft hanger, we unloaded the plane, and walked out to the car park, where my Land Rover is parked, and once we had loaded up the luggage, we took a bit of time checking out my new veterinary clinic next door, which is excellent.

The clinic has two small and one large consulting treatment rooms, a reception area, admin office, supply store room, staff lounge, toilets, and an indoor kennel area. Outside, there are two kennel areas, with a large open space in between for exercising, which is covered with shade cloth for sun protection. From the staff lounge there is stairs that lead to a two bedroom unit, with one bathroom and an entry hall.

After inspecting my new business premises, we climbed into my vehicle to make the 45 minute drive home to the airbase. During the trip I mentioned to the family that the Army may be dropping in to check out the base camp site, and to do some training, but I wasn’t sure exactly when that would be.

With one whole day spent travelling home, after a one hour stop over in Geraldton, I was looking forward to the time at home, even if it was only for two and a half days. Not bothering to call into Limestone station, we headed for home, arriving a little over an hour later, going via the south east gate into the Airbase, Mum and Joyce had some afternoon tea ready for us on arrival shortly after 3.30 pm.

“Jex, there is an email for you from the Newman Veterinary practice, I left it on the table in your cabin,” Mum informed me after receiving a long hug from her. “Thanks mum, it is great to be home again,” I replied, as I headed for my cabin at the back of the complex.

“Dear Jexon, firstly I want to thank you for recommending your friend for the job here. Marcus has become a valuable member of the team here, and he appears to be enjoying it here although some days he struggles with the heat when going outdoors, but that is to be expected, and he works without any complaints.

I am emailing you because I heard that you have already established a veterinary clinic in the Marble Bar area, and I am prepared to pay half of the customers fee for the use of your facilities, when I get a call out to that area.

I will be in Marble Bar over this long weekend, as I have to visit two cattle stations in the area, a new client at Woodstock Station, followed by Yarrie Station, just north East of Marble Bar. If you can get in contact with me before Friday evening, that would be appreciated. Regards, Jessica.”

Heading to the office, I immediately telephoned the Newman Veterinary clinic. “Hello this is Dr Marcus speaking, may I help you,” came a surprise answer, “Hi mate, it is Jex, I have received an email from Jessica, can I speak to her please,” I responded.

“Hey buddy, are you at home?” Marcus said happily, “Yes I am, just arrived actually, so haven’t had a chance to unpack yet,” I replied. “Ok, well Jess is on the road at the moment, she left for Marble Bar almost three hours ago, so she should be there in about an hour,” Marcus replied.

“Ok mate, if she calls you, tell her I am driving into town to meet here, and I will be there in 45 minutes from now, and that the vet clinic is located at the airport,” I said, “Ok, will do, good to hear your voice again mate, bye for now,” Marcus said as he ended the call.

“Mum, where is Dad?” I said as I entered the main living area, “Having a lay down, why?” Mum replied, “Nothing, I just have to make a quick drive into town, as the Vet from Newman is on her way there, I should be back before dark,” I replied, as I grabbed the keys for my Jackaroo and dashed outside.

Having to unlock and relock the south east gate as I passed through, I headed north to Marble Bar, which I was pleased to see the road had been graded recently, so there was virtually no corrugations in gravel road, so I was able to go a little higher than the standard 80 kilometres an hour on the road, slowing briefly as I passed the new camp ground just before the boundary cattle grid and fence, were a number of vehicles with caravans and camper trailers already there.

When I reached the main intersection, instead of turning left to go into town I turned right to go to the airport, arriving five minutes later, pleased to notice a sign on highway saying – “Limestone Veterinary Clinic – Marble Bar” and a temporary sign saying “Opening for business in December.”

Turning into the airport, I turned left and the next street, which had another sign pointing the way to the Vet Clinic, and moments later I entered the Vet Clinic car park, and parked under the sheltered carport, which has a sign – “Reserved For Veterinarian Staff only”.

I entered the clinic via the front door, as I did earlier, and headed for the staff room, where the air-conditioning controls are located, and I turned it on, as it was hot and stuffy inside, before entering the admin office, and sat down at the large desk, which will be my location. I picked up the phone, which I was pleased has a dial tone, and I telephoned home.

“Hi mum, I am at the clinic, do you know what the security alarm code is, as it hasn’t been set when I entered just now,” I asked when Mum answered the call. “Just a sec dear, Dad is just here,” Mum replied and she handed the phone over to me.

“Hi son, I did forget to tell you didn’t I, and I forgot to reset it when we left earlier. I suggest you download the app called Bizalarm, and you can control it all from your phone when in mobile range, if you look in the bottom drawer of your desk, you will find a folder under that name, and the code is located in the small plastic folder, that you better take with you.

“You will also find a second set of keys for the Clinic in the same folder, in case you need to put them in a hiding location somewhere close, or give them to someone to hold onto. Will you be home for dinner?’ Dad said to me.

“I am not sure, it depends on when Jessica from Newman Vet Clinic arrives, I am going to let her use the flat upstairs, for the two days that she is here, I presume that she is bringing everything she needs with here, since the place only has basic facilities installed so far,” I replied.

“Ok, was there anyone at the campsite as you passed it?’ Dad asked, “Yes, about seven vehicles, two with caravans, the rest with camper trailers,” I replied, “Righto, good to know, we will see you when you get home, bye,” dad said.

A minute after the call ended there was a knock on the front door, and I stepped out into the hallway and saw Jessica standing there, and I waved for her to come in. “Ah, air-conditioning, that is nice, I’ve been using the bush air for the past half an hour since mine packed it in, inside my car,” Jessica said as she entered.

“Hi ya Jess, good to see you again, did you have a good trip?” I asked, “Not bad apart from the air-con troubles, this looks very nice,” Jessica replied, and I gave her a full tour of the place, inside and out.

“What are the stairs for, in the staff lounge?” she asked once we returned inside from inspecting the outside pens and exercise area.

“That goes to a flat with two bedrooms and a bathroom, for staff overnight stays, as I will be based at the nearby Limestone Station homestead, just two kilometres south of here. Our family bought the station a few months back, and I will be taking on the role of Station manager there, with the current station hand Jake, and my brother Rhodes working for me,” I replied.

“Well that sounds great, and although it is brand new, it is very simular to my practice, maybe we can come up with some sort of agreement to share the facilities and work,” Jessica said to me. “Sounds good to me, you just write up what ideas you have on how it could work and I will look at the proposal. Now I am not sure if you have booked accommodation in town or not, but you are welcome to use the flat upstairs,” I replied.

“Yes that would be nice thanks, will help to cut down my costs a lot, so is 50% of the clients fee ok for you for using your facilities?’ Jessica asked, “How about we make it 35% since you are doing all the work,” I suggested, “I won’t argue with that offer, if you are happy with it,” Jessica replied smiling and we shook hands on the deal.

“Here are the spare set of keys, and the security code, just leave the air-con going set at low cool, while you are here and turn it off when you are heading back to Newman. I will leave you to get settled in, as I have to prepare for visitors coming onto the Airbase Museum tomorrow morning,” I said to Jessica.

“Thanks again for letting me use your facilities, and I hope to see you out at Newman someday soon,” Jessica said as I was leaving.

Calling into town briefly to pick up a supply of bottles of water, I headed for home again, reaching the boundary cattle grid, just as dusk was starting, and I stopped at the camp ground to have a quick look around the place, and there was now twelve vehicle parked in the camp ground, with four caravans.

I was pleased with how the campground was set up; there are lights, powered by solar calls at the two ablution blocks, as well as in the gazebos, giving enough light around most parts of the camp site. Not bothering any of the campers, I climbed into my vehicle and headed for home, arriving just after dark.

During dinner, I informed the family that there are now 12 vehicles at the campsite, and that I was impressed with the layout of the site. With the museum being open for business tomorrow, I helped Joyce and Mum to clean up before retiring for the night.

I was almost asleep, when there was a knock on the cabin door, and as I walked to the living area, the light outside the cabin showed that it was Rhodes at the door. “Come in mate, what is the problem?” I said as I opened the glass sliding door and let Rhodes to come inside, and we sat down in the lounge area.

“I was hoping that sometime this weekend we could maybe spend some time together working at Limestone Station?” Rhodes asked me. “I would have to talk to Hedley and Dad first, to see how things go with the museum,” I responded.

“The girls and Wynn want to help out a lot more with the museum, so that free us both for some time at Limestone,” Rhodes said to me, “ok, I will have a chat to Hedley and Dad at breakfast tomorrow morning, and we will decided from there,” I said to my brother, who said goodnight and returned to his cabin. Early the next morning, I was up and dressed, and quietly I had a cup of tea and some toast, before grabbing the keys for the Hawkei, and setting off to do a patrol of the Airbase.

“Tim to Jex, are you online over” came a call over the HF radio, and I heard the faint sound of an aircraft at high altitude as I picked up the mic. “Receiving you Tim, how did you know I was up and about, over,” I replied, “Easy, we saw the Hawkei moving about, look up, over,” came the response.

I stopped and climbed out before looking up and saw 12 parachutes open up above me and about 6 kilometres to the north of the taxiway, where I was currently parked, and I smiled, as I watched the SAS troopers gliding down to earth.

Back in my vehicle, I headed for the gate, at the creek crossing, and after closing and locking it behind me. I headed for the Army base camp. Arriving at the turnoff to the camp, a little after the last of the parachutes disappeared out of view as they landed in the hills.

When I arrived at the camp, the men were gathered outside the main buildings, as I pulled up near them.

Copyright © 2020 quokka; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 27
  • Love 10
  • Wow 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Well at least Jexon’s dad is alright and the emergency wasn’t about him. I like the agreement that Jexon came up with for Jessica the vet from Newman. This is going to be a very long weekend for Jexon and a short one as well since he has to get back to school and finish his studies so he can graduate. I hope that he doesn’t wind up doing training with the army or he won’t get anything done at the museum, it’s always good to see the group parachute in to either the museum or the new training camp that was established for them to use.

  • Like 4
Link to comment

Great chapter. Jexon seems to be getting very busy, with his new vet practice, the airbase and completing his studies.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..