Jump to content
    quokka
  • Author
  • 2,240 Words
  • 2,335 Views
  • 6 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Desert Air - 31. DA Ch 31 - Island Research

“Hey look, someone had left behind their esky and thermos,” one of female students said, just as I was entering, “Does it have any markings on it to say who owns it?” I asked casually, and turning the thermos over, and she readout the initials ‘JF’, which I had written on them in felt pen before leaving the island two weeks ago.

“Maybe they will come back for them,” I suggested, and she nodded in agreement, and put the esky and thermos into one of the cupboards for safe keeping. I could see that Auggie was about to say something and I gave him a soft nudge of my elbow into his ribs and frowned at him, before setting off to claim one of the bedrooms, with Auggie following close behind.

“What was that for? I was just going to say that JF is your first two initials,” Auggie enquired, once the bedroom door was closed. “It is, and yes they are mine, I was here two weeks ago for an overnight stay,” I whispered, and Auggie looked shocked, which made me chuckle.

“Follow me,” I said to him and leaving the bedroom, I headed back outside, and near the door was a small plaque, which I pointed out to him. “Restoration project funded by Corunna Investments WA,” Auggie read out loud.

What was that you said August?” Dr De Souza asked as he stepped outside, “Just reading the plaque on the wall sir,” Auggie replied. “Oh yes, I see, I didn’t notice it on the way in… isn’t Corunna the name of that secret airbase in the Pilbara? You come from out that way don’t you Mr Kendrik?” the lecturer asked.

“Yes sir I do. I have visited the Airbase Museum as it is now. The people who own it have restored it to what it used to look like back during world war two, they even have a B24 Liberator bomber there on display, it is well worth the long trip from Port Hedland to go and see it,” I replied.

“Where is it from Port Hedland?” Dr Lane asked as she joined the conversation, “170 kilometres south-east of Port Hedland and 30 kilometres due south of Marble Bar,” I replied. “Isn’t that the hottest town in the state in summer?” Auggie asked, “Yes it is, that is why I brought plenty of jackets to keep me warm, as I am not used to this down south temperatures,” I replied.

Heading back inside, Auggie and I rolled out our swags, with his looking very brand new, before we joined the others in the dining area of the first house. “Right, quiet please… Welcome to Eclipse Island, and having seen the plaque outside, I think we should thank Corunna Investments for making our stay a lot more comfortable for all of us.

As you see we have a fridge and a stove, plus there is a barbeque out of the patio, and although it is fairly bare, we do have a nice living space, with fresh paint and wooded floors. As you may see from the framed photos on the wall, there are pictures of what the building looked like before the renovations, so we must be very grateful for what we have here.

It is 3.20 pm now so we have some recreational time, don’t wander off too far, and don’t get too close to any edges of the island, and I suggest that no one leaves on their own, always travel in pairs or groups. The lighthouse is off limits, and it is well locked up anyway, there is an old generator room not far west from here, and past the lighthouse, there is a large storage shed, with rail tracks that lead to the original landing bay for the island.

They are the only buildings on the island, and I am sure that they are all locked up as well. It gets dark early down here, so make sure you are back no later than 5 pm, or earlier if it starts to rain. Dinner is at 6.30 pm. That is all for now, go and explore and we will see you back here for dinner,” Professor Quinn announced, and all the students headed outside, but I waited till everyone was gone, and there was just the staff remaining.

“Sir, I have something I wish to speak to you about in private,” I said to the professor, “Very well, come into the master bedroom, which is my sleeping area,” he replied, and as I entered, I saw two camp stretchers set up in the room, with sleeping bags and pillows, and I chuckled.

“Not used to sleeping on the floor sir?” I asked, “Yes well, us staff have to have some comforts. Now what is it you wish to speak to me about?” the professor replied, and I retrieved my wallet from my back pocket and pulled out a business card and handed it to him.

“J.F Kendrik, 13 CSSB Logistics Company, 13th Combat Service Support Unit, Australian Army, Irwin Barracks, Karrakatta, WA - Military Liaison to Corunna Airbase Museum, via Marble Bar, Western Australia.”

“You are in the Army and you are involved with the Airbase museum?’ the Professor asked sounding stunned and I smiled and nodded my head. “To be exact sir, our family owns and runs the Airbase Museum, we bought it from the Federal Government as freehold land, on the condition that we restore the base too what it looked like during the war, and make it available for the public to see,” I announced.

“Wow, that is quite a surprise, so is it your family that is responsible for the renovations and the new landing platform?” the Professor asked me, “Yes sir, my Dad organised it all after I suggested the idea, and this is not the first time I have been on this island, I was here two weeks ago for two daily visits, which ended up being an overnight stay, due to poor weather and the helicopter not being able to come and collect me,” I replied.

“I see, so you are the expert on what to find around the island?” the Professor asked, “Not really sir, I just wandered around the island and checked out most of the buildings,” I replied. “You have seen inside the big shed and the power shed?” the Professor asked, “Yes sir, the power shed key is the same as the house key, but I only saw the big shed from the windows, and the lighthouse is off limits, and the photos of the birds that are framed and on the walls, are what I took two weeks ago,” I replied.

“Petrels, Turns, Shearwaters and Gulls, yes I was studying the pictures earlier, are they all that can be found on the island?” the Professor asked, “Well sir there are three different species of Shearwater birds, and one of each of the others,” I replied.

After the little chat with the Professor, I went outside looking for Auggie, “There you are. What were you talking to the Professor about?” he asked when I stepped outside, “Well you already have guessed exactly where I am from, and yes it is our family who financed the improvements to the buildings here, so I told him the same and we just discussed a few things about the island, since I have been here before,” I replied.

The first meal on the island was a cheerful and noisy event, with everyone in good spirits, but I knew that if there is a turn in the weather, that their moods would quickly change. Lucky for everyone, the first three full days on the island were sunny, but there was often a cold wind coming from the south, which had most of us rugged up in thick jackets.

On our fourth night on the island, it began to bucket down with heavy rain, and the wind was very strong and cold, so we stoked up the fireplaces and stayed indoors, to keep warm, but thankfully the rain died down to a light drizzle by day break, but it was still very cold outside.

Being used to getting up early, I got the fire started in the living area, before getting the kettle going for a warm cup of tea, and I made myself some toast to help me get started on this miserable morning. A loud bang that sounded like the main door slamming shut made me jump, and moments later Professor Flank rushed inside and stopped and smiled when she saw the fire place going.

“You’re a marvel Mr Kendrik, now is Professor Quinn up? Because we have a situation,” she said to me, as I poured a cup of tea and handed it to her. “I am now with that entrance you just made,” the professor said as he walked into the room.

“Sorry about that Michael, but we have a serious situation, do we have contact with the mainland?” she asked her colleague, “Just when the boat comes every two days to deliver some more firewood and any fresh supplies, why?” Professor Quinn replied.

“One of the girls has a high fever and she is shivering with cold, we need to get help and fast,” Dr Flack said in response, and I dashed to my room to retrieve my Sat phone, turning it on as I raced back into the living area. “This man is full of surprises,” Professor Quinn said when he saw me with a sat phone in hand.

“Ted, sorry to wake you so early. This is Jexon Kendrik, I am on Eclipse with a group of University staff and students, we have a medical emergency, can you come to collect her and transport her to the hospital?” I asked when the call was finally answered.

“Good morning to you, when did you arrive on Eclipse and how?” Ted replied, and I chuckled in response, we arrived four days ago by boat, we are here for two weeks,” I replied, “Crikey its still dark outside, I guess by the time I get the chopper going it will be close to day break, I will be there in about 30 minutes, and I will notify the hospital,” Ted replied before ending the call.

“We have a chopper coming over in half an hour,” I said to the two lecturers, as Auggie staggered out still in his pyjamas, which made me laugh. “What is all the noise, it is still dark outside,” he complained, “Good morning to you sunshine, it is actually just before daybreak, and we have a medical emergency. Dr Flank, do we have a medical kit here?” I asked.

“Only a first aid kit, I am not sure how good it is, I just grabbed it from the university supply room,” Dr Flank replied, “A paramedic too?’ Professor Quinn asked me, “No sir Army Field Medic,” I replied, as Dr Flank went to retrieve the first aid kit, which was a plastic box with a big green cross on the top, and with that in hand, I followed her to the other side of the building to where the sick student is.

“Are you descent ladies, it is Jexon, I am an Army Field Medic,” I said as I stopped at the doorway, while Dr Flank walked straight in. “Just come in Jexon, no need for all that?” Dr Flank snapped, and I cautiously walked into the room, where one classmate was in her nightee, and holding her friends hand, while the other is laying in bed also in a nightee, and she looked in real bad condition.

I knelt down beside the airbed and sleeping bag, and took hold of her wrist. “Dr, I need you to take some notes please,” I said noticing the young ladies rapid pause. Making a number of observations, I relayed the information to the Dr, who wrote it all down on a note pad, the other classmate produced.

With my Sat phone still with me, I dialled a number, “Put me through to Albany Hospital in WA please, this is Army Field medic Jexon Kendrik speaking,” I said when the call was answered, and moments later I was transferred to the hospital.

“Emergency department, how may I help you?’ a woman’s voice said, “This is Army Field Medic Jexon Kendrik speaking, I have a medical emergency,” responded, “Yes Mr Kendrik, we received a call about ten minutes ago, to say that you have a sick person on Eclipse Island, and that a helicopter is on its way to collect you,” the nurse said.

“I have a female, approximately 25 years old, semi conscious, rapid pause, high temperature, profusely sweating, high respiration, is there anything that I should check for while I am waiting for the chopper?” I asked. “Keep her warm, and can you check to see if she is tender in the lower right abdomen,” the nurse replied, and I softly placed my hand in that region and she screamed in agony.

“Appendicitis?” I asked, “Yes, that would be my diagnosis, she needs to get here as quickly as possible. I will notify theatre that she is coming in soon. Now no fluids or solids and keep her covered, and sponge her forehead with a cool compress, and we will see you here soon,” the nurse said before ending the call unexpectantly.

Copyright © 2020 quokka; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 22
  • Love 10
  • Wow 2
  • Fingers Crossed 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Great chapter. The island expedition was going well until one of the girls got sick. Fortunately Jexon saved the day by his sat phone with him and was able to arrange for an emergency helicopter for the patient p. He did tell the professor his family was responsible for the refurbishment of the island accommodation.

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment

Jexon is full of surprises for everyone on Eclipse Island revealing them a bit at a time. With the student now sick they needed to get her transported to a hospital very quickly and the boat wouldn’t be there until tomorrow.  Jexon retrieved the sat phone and called the helicopter pilot Ted and asked for him to come transport the girl to the hospital. Jexon revealed that he is a field medic in the army, he went to check on the patient and while on the phone with the hospital he discovered that she has appendicitis, the nurse said she would alert the theater of the student coming in and needing emergency surgery. 
 I wonder how many more surprises Jexon has to show before they finish their time on the island.

  • Like 4
Link to comment

Jex is full of surprises, but as an almost veterinarian, assignment as a field medic is logical.

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment

Short but full of good content.  Well done and I hope that the next chapter comes soon

  • Like 3
Link to comment

Appendicitis is no joke.  Not only is it extremely painful, but if the organ ruptures before is removed, the resulting infection can be very difficult to combat.

5 hours ago, Daddydavek said:

Jex is full of surprises, but as an almost veterinarian, assignment as a field medic is logical.

Yes, but he shouldn't treat active-duty military personnel, because he is a veteran-arian! 🤣

(Okay, I'll just leave now, shall I?)

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment

The surgery for appedix removal in this day and age is much less serious than it was when I had mine out, more years ago than I want to contemplate. A laparoscopic appendectomy is the operation frequently performed today. Instead of an open operating field, the surgeon uses two tiny openings, inserting a cannula into one and a laparoscope into the other. The area will be inflated with carbon dioxide and the inflamed appendix removed through the cannula. The two small wounds are then sealed with surgical tape or surgical adhesive and the patient usually can be released the same day.

The advantage of this technique is the short hospital stay and the tiny scars that may be left. Those are known to heal rapidly and leave scars that are nearly invisible.

Edited by Will Hawkins
  • Love 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..