Jump to content
    quokka
  • Author
  • 2,117 Words
  • 1,799 Views
  • 3 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Desert Air - 36. DA Ch 36 - Training

“Good morning Jex, when did you arrive home from Perth?” Tim said to me, “Yesterday afternoon, but I had to make a trip into Marble Bar soon after I arrived, to deal with some business,” I replied. “So this is what your folks have provided for us, it looks good mate,” Tim said.

“Yes, but this is the first chance I have had to see it,” I replied, and I spent the next twenty minutes checking each building, and the layout of the camp along with the SAS troopers, before settling into the briefing room.

“We will be here for approximately two week’s, we have some supplies being brought in on Tuesday, which I believe is a day that the museum is closed, and we will need to use the Hawkei,” Tim said to me. “That is fine Sir, that is what it is here for, just drop me off back at home by 8 am, and I will leave you guys to get on with your training,” I responded.

“Some of the guys chuckled and I looked at Tim, confused at the lads response, and Tim retrieved an envelope from his inside pocket and handed it to me. “Cpl J.F Kendrik” was written on the front of the envelope, and I was now really confused.

“Congratulations mate, you have been promoted to a full corporal, inside are your strips and orders,” Tim said to me, as I opened the envelope. “Cpl Jexon F Kendrik, you are to report to Captain Tim Eccleston on this day at 0800 hours for two days of specialist outback training,” and it was signed by the Commanding officer of the company I am assigned to in Perth.

I quickly looked at my watch and relaxed a little as it was only just after 0645 hours. “I will give you a ride home, so you can change into your work uniform and get your kit together, as you will be staying here with us,” Tim announced, and I snapped to attention, “Sir, yes sir,” I responded.

Ten minutes later, we arrived at the complex and parked at the front, and Rhodes came out of his cabin dressed but only having socks on, with his boots in hand. “What’s happening, is this an army invasion?” Rhodes asked, and Tim laughed.

“Not quite little bro, I have been given orders, so I will be at the army camp for today and tomorrow, doing training,” I replied as I climbed the stairs, and headed for my cabin to get dressed into my Army fatigues, and pack my duffle bag, and quickly sew on my new stripes.

When I entered the living area, I stopped when I saw Tim and the other two men seated at the dining table enjoying breakfast. “We had to accept a delicious free meal while we are here,” Tim said explaining, and I shrugged my shoulders and joined them.

“Captain Eccleston has explained that you have orders, and that you will be with them for two days, so I guess we will have to do without you for that time,” Dad said to me, “Sorry dad, but orders are orders,” I replied.

“Hey, you have stripes on your uniform,” Rhodes said when he noticed them, “Yes, I have been promoted to full corporal,” I responded, and Dad shook my hand congratulations, while mum gave me a big hug, “Steady on Mum, I am in front of my CO for the weekend,” I complained, and Tim and the other two laughed.

After thanking Mum and Joyce for breakfast, we set off back to the camp, and I took my Land Rover, as extra transport for the squad, and at the camp, I settled into one of the cabins, sharing with another corporal, and after unpacking everything, I headed back to the briefing room.

“Now, that we are all here, I can begin this briefing on what we will do for the next few days,” Tim said as I sat down with the rest of the squad.

While we have Corporal Kendrik with us, we will be spending the next two days, scouting around the area, so we get a bit of an idea of the layout. The topographical map I have here on the main map board, shows that we have a fair amount of hills, varying from 100 to 300 metres, so we will need to remain hydrated at all times.

Although the neighbouring station is owned by the same family, we will be remaining inside the boundary of the airbase, which is clearly marked, with railway iron posts and beams. We are located in the far north-east corner of the base, and a good 6 ½ kilometres north of the airbase it self. Be aware that there are civilian visitors coming to see the airbase museum over the long weekend, and you would have seen on your decent, the camp grounds just north of the Airbase boundary.

The staff of the airbase museum consists of four adults, Mr & Mrs Kendrik senior, and Mr & Mrs Parkinson, plus for the duration of the long weekend, Corporal Kendrik’s four siblings aged 16 to 12 years, so we are not to interfere with the operation of the museum during our stay, but we will be doing mock exercises using the staff as mock targets.

Extreme care is to be taken not to scare the living daylights out of the museum staff and the visitors, any questions?” Captain Eccleston said, and I stood up. “Yes sir, apart from the people you have mentioned, the museum also has additional part time staff, who have split duties between the museum and the neighbouring Corunna Downs Station, with the homestead located just 6 kilometres east-south east of the airbase,” I said, before sitting again.

“Right, thankyou for that additional information, anything else… right, lets get our hiking packs ready for a long hike with rations for lunch,” the Captain said, before we left the briefing room, and Captain Eccleston called me aside.

“Corporal, do you think your parents would give permission to set up an out camp say about six kilometres from the base camp?” the Captain asked and I smiled. “My parents only manage the Airbase. It is actually me that owns it… I will have to think about it sir,” I replied and the Captain laughed.

“Very well Mr Kendrik, may we set up an out camp on your property please,” the captain asked nicely, and I scratched my chin as if I was in thinking mode. “Yes, I think that will be fine, but it will have to be on the north side of the property, well away from the public areas,” I finally replied.

“Do you have any areas that you recommend?’ the Captain asked, walking back into the briefing room, I looked at the topographical map, thinking of what the area looked like from the air. “Sir, if I may suggest, I would like to do an aerial scouting using my Biplane, which is at the airbase,” I said to the Captain.

“Very well, I will get the sergeant major to lead the squad in an easterly direction from the Camp and I will join you in the biplane, but there is to be no aerobatics, while we are up there,” Captain Eccleston said to me, and I put on a disappoint look, which made the Captain laugh.

After giving Staff Sergeant Lyons his instructions, the Captain and I took my vehicle to the visitors car park, and we hiked the remainder 1.4 kilometres to the aircraft pit, where my biplane is parked, where a large group of people were checking it out, and even climbing all over it.

“Get the hell off my plane, can you not read,” I bellowed, which made some of the ladies and girls scream, and most of the group jump in fright, while Captain Eccleston just stood beside me smiling. “Ok ladies and gentlemen, I ask that you step well away from this area, as we are taking the plane for a bit of a spin,” the Captain said in a calm voice, and the group quickly moved away from the aircraft pit.

“You are not supposed to scare the living daylights out of the visitors remember,” the Captain said to me quietly, and I chuckled at this comment, “that applies only for Army manoeuvres sir, and when it is to do with the safety of my own plane, I think I should have some leeway,” I whispered back.

Once I had done all of my checks around the plane, I helped the captain into the passenger section, before closing his canopy then climbing into my seat, and checking to make sure the front of the plane was clear, I started up the engine.

After taxiing out of the aircraft pit and onto the access track, I made my way to the north end of Runway one, and stopped. “Port Hedland Air Traffic Control, this is Tango Juliet 1959, requesting clearance to fly around Corunna Airbase and Corunna Downs Station, over,” I said into the mic.

“Tango Juliet, hello Jex. You can go ahead with your flight at the requested area, over,” came a response, “Roger that, I am departing on runway one north over,” I said before increasing the revs, and taking one more look around to make sure the runway was clear, before I released the brakes.

“Corunna Airbase to Tango Juliet, over,” my Mum said over the radio, “Reading you Mum, over,” I replied, “Dad says to wait until we have made sure the runway is clear, over,” Mum said and I put my feet on the breaks, after rolling forward about fifty metres.

“Roger that, waiting for clearance to take off, over,” I replied, and moments later, I saw a couple walking over the main runway, with a vehicle dashing in that location. “Tango Juliet, you are cleared to take off,” came Dad’s voice, and without responding, I released the brakes and increase the revs as we headed down the runway and were soon in the air.

Once I knew I was high enough, I did a few barrel rolls, before heading north-west from the runway. “I suppose that was for the visitors benefit,” the Captain asked me from behind me. “Yes, sorry about that sir, we have to give the visitors a bit of a treat every now and then,” I responded, and I smiled broadly, as I took a quick glance in the mirror.

As I passed over the western boundary of the Airbase, about two kilometres south of the north west corner, I was shocked to see that there was heavy mining vehicles clearing away land, inside the airbase, and I began to circle the vehicles, to get a closer look at them.

“Are they supposed to be there?’ the Captain asked me, “No they are not, the airbase and all land beneath it belongs to me as freehold land,” I replied through the mic. “What are the coordinates and I will send the men over there to shut them down,” Captain Eccleston said, and I gave him the coordinates from the reading on my instrument panel.

“Command to squad leader, do you copy” I heard the Captain say, and I realised that he was using his sat com to speak to the squad, as he passed on the coordinate and instructions. With over 6 kilometres of hilly terrain, it was going to take the squad some time before they reach the heavy vehicles, and so I decided to make a call.

“Tango Juliet to Port Hedland Air Traffic, over,” I called over the radio, “Go ahead Jexon, over,” came a quick response, “Can you put me through to the District Superintendent at Port Hedland Police Station please, over,” I asked, “Roger that, please hold, over,” came a response.

While I was waiting to be connected, I flew up to the corner boundary and turned and followed the boundary southwards, when I came to one of the access gates on the western boundary, I saw that it was wide open, which I was not too pleased about.

And grabbing the mic for the uhf radio, I made a second call, “Tango Juliet to Base over,” I called, and it was Hedley who responded, “Go ahead Jexon, over,” he said.

“Hedley can you or Dad, please go to the central west boundary gate please, as it is wide open and I have found intruders with heavy machinery working in the ranges inside the base boundary, over” I said to Hedley. “Copy that Jexon, what do you want us too do when we get there, over,” Hedley asked.

Copyright © 2020 quokka; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 26
  • Love 13
  • Angry 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

I had to laugh at Jexon when the captain gave him his orders and the envelope said corporal as he wasn’t aware of the change of rank. He went up to the army camp after breakfast and telling his parents about his orders, after the briefing he was asked by Tim if they could set up an out camp if his parents said it would be ok, he told them that he was the owner and he wasn’t sure about the out camp until Tim said please. The two of them went back down to the airbase so they could get his plane and they could find a good place to set up the out camp.  While up Jexon saw a group of miners who were inside the boundary of the airbase where they weren’t supposed to be.  I hope they get a big fine for going to an unauthorized area as well as the ones there being arrested for trespassing. I only hope that either Hedley or the army get to them before Jexon does or he might be going to jail for assault. Thanks for the great story.

  • Like 4
Link to comment

Great chapter. Jexon gets a promotion. When in his plane, he notices trespassers on his land with mining equipment. An exciting few days ahead for Jexon, Tim and the SAS boys.

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..