Jump to content
    quokka
  • Author
  • 739 Words
  • 1,583 Views
  • 8 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Desert Vets - 9. DV Ch 9 - Happily Life Goes On

The following morning, I attended court, having a closer view of the film crew for the first time, and after the Police Prosecutor read out the charges and read out my statement, I was asked if I wanted to make any further statement. I said to the magistrate that I apologised for any stress or fright caused by the release of the cattle from the yards, by one of my staff.

I continued by stating, that the purpose of the quarantine station was to locate and remove any harmful diseases from cattle that may affect any other stock in the state as well as the human population, and speaking as the former District Veterinary Officer, and local senior Veterinarian, I recalled to those in the court, when the first outbreak of Leptospirosis in the area, had resulted in a stockman from a station north of town becoming very ill from the disease, and was rushed to hospital.

The four members of the film crew were given a suspended sentence of eighteen months, and fined $3,000 each, while the film company that they work for was fined $50,000 and ordered to pay any compensation to the Quarantine Station, including legal costs and also the court costs.

As half expected, the headlines on the front page of the state’s main newspaper the next morning read, “Heavy Fines for Trespassing on Quarantine Station up north,” another story linked to the main story located on page three ready, “Film crew cry foul, after stampede charge by Cattle.”

I laughed at this and didn’t even bother to read the article, as I prepared for another day of work at the Vet hospital. Marcus had convinced me that as head of the organisation, I needed to spend a bit more time at the base, and Auggie agreed with him on this and so all major surgery would be my main task, as well as administration and doing the occasional trip out to a cattle station.

Marcus was happy to take on the more active role of dealing with the quarantine station, and the majority of visits to the many cattle stations in the region, which includes the stations owned by the family. Marcus and I decided to remain living on the families property just on the edge of town, as it was convenient for both of us, and it was good to be seeing the family on a more regular basis.

The transition for the staff relocating to Marble Bar went well, and Jess and her two staff are liking being there, especially with them living in a nice old homestead, which given them plenty of space. I suggested to Rhodes that he do a university degree in Agricultural Science, specialising and in Animal Science, and surprisingly Rhodes liked the idea and agreed to look into commencing at the start of the next semester.

With the expansion of the business, now covering such a larger area, I soon found myself spending a lot more time at the Vet Hospital, with seeing patients as well as doing any required surgeries, and Christian spent most of his time working with me, and would occasionally get out with Marcus or Auggie, if there was a need for a second vet for a big job out on a station.

Marcus suggested that maybe we should do a house swap with Auggie, so that he moves into the cottage just out of town and we move into my former home at the back of the Vet hospital, which I thought was a great idea, as I missed spending time with my two native pets, even though I made an effort to go and see them every second day, and they always came running up to me, happy to see me again, and I did enjoy relaxing in the four environment garden that can be seen from the verandah of the main house.

Just over a month later, Marcus and I had finished work for the day, and we had just completed relocating to my former home, between the vet hospital and the aircraft hangar, and we were both happy, as we watched the approaching seasonal storm, with the build-up season now in full swing, as the skies from the setting sun and the approaching storm gave a mixture of grey rolling clouds, and the varied colours of the northern sunset, which is always a spectacular sight to watch.

p style="text-align:right;"> The End
Copyright February 2022 All Rights are reserved, Preston Wigglesworth
  • Like 15
  • Love 13
  • Fingers Crossed 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

A great chapter to sum up how Marcus and Jexon have settled down with there jobs and married life. They have great work colleagues, a fantastic business and family close by.

What more could the guys want.

  • Love 4
Link to comment

What a great chapter, the film crew as well as the company they work for got what they deserved for the stunt they pulled trying to get a story by hiding in the bushes inside the quarantine station grounds which is clearly marked. Business seems to be doing well for Jex and Marcus as well as their staff of other vets and techs, many of them are close friends with the guys. They have a great marriage which seems to get better with time. Jex is spending more time at the clinic and working on the administrative things instead of flying out to the stations all the time to do what needs to be done there. All in all I have to say this was a great story to read it contained some interesting points and a few nail biting parts as well. Thanks for the great stories that you write for us to enjoy.

  • Love 4
Link to comment

I really enjoyed the first two stories of "Desert" series.

I have reviewed a Quokka story.  As an American who has some limited International travel experience - which does not include anywhere in Oz - I absolutely enjoy Mr. Wigglesworth's descriptions of the many varied lives he portrays to us from 'Down Under'.

I enjoyed Jexon and Marcus's experiences and learned much about Veterinary practices in other places in the world.  

I have to ask, though, Mr. Wigglesworth, how come it took you 62 chapters to get Jexon and Marcus together?  Sheesh!  Wouldn't the story have been just as interesting if you had gotten them together in chapter 22....or chapter 34?

At any rate, I enjoyed it immensely.  Thank you a zillion times for all your hard work in writing this epic tale!

Davey

  • Love 4
Link to comment

A bit of a short chapter to finish up book 2, I was hoping for more chapters.  
maybe a 3rd book in the series? 

  • Love 3
Link to comment
On 6/6/2022 at 4:14 PM, Bft said:

A bit of a short chapter to finish up book 2, I was hoping for more chapters.  
maybe a 3rd book in the series? 

Yes, possibly…

Q

  • Love 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..