Jump to content
    quokka
  • Author
  • 1,810 Words
  • 648 Views
  • 5 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
Although events mentioned in this story are actually happening, the general outline of this story is entirely fictional and created entirely by the author.
Check out the video clip of Kakadu N/P.
This story had been authorised by the management team to continue.

Disputed Sea - 12. Disp Ch 12

I learnt from Dad, that the current Station managers at Exmouth Gulf Station would not be staying on to continue working there, so the family would be starting to search for a replacement management team to run that station, which is located 50 kilometres South of Exmouth, with most of the station on the East side of the Exmouth road from Minilya to Exmouth, and is just over 228 thousand acres in area, with the station homestead located 4.5 kilometres east of the main road, and about the same distance again to the coast.

Dad asked if we could get off at Exmouth and spend a few days in town, then travel down to the station to take over as temporary managers of the station, and to my surprise, Joshua nodded yes, so I agreed that we would. After the call ended, we went to the bridge to let the Captain know of our plans, and he suggested that we wait until nightfall before being transported to the town marina, which we agreed to.

Shortly after the family call, we arranged 4 nights' accommodation at the Mantarays Beach Resort, which is very close to the marina. While we were waiting for sunset, Joshua made a few phone calls and arranged for the purchase of a few items that would be trucked up to us from Carnarvon, which is 360 kilometres to the South. The main item is a new Mazda BT-50 Dual Cab Ute, which would have an additional spare tyre, roof rack, bull bar, side steps, tow hitch, and a recovery set, which is Gun Blue in colour, which would arrive in a few days, as they have one there available now.

After sunset, we were transported to the marina and walked the short distance to the resort, where we quickly settled in and relaxed, and shortly after we received a text saying that the ship was now on its way down the coast with the Henderson Base as its destination, to be well away from what is happening in the South East Asia region, and I gave Mum and Dad a call to let them know that we had settled into our accommodation and we would do some sightseeing around the area before heading to the station in a few days.

Xander and Langley had decided to shut down the hotel at Lee Point as a safety precaution, to keep staff and guests safely away from all the risks regarding the threats they have received, and extra security had been established at the newest hotel at Myilly Point. Xander and Langley had decided to remain on the ship as it heads south to Henderson and monitors things from down there, and they said they would keep us posted on how everything is going.

Now that things are heating up in Darwin, with the Port of Darwin now back in Australian control, there are now regular threats of retaliation regarding losing control of the port, as well as the expulsion of diplomats, and tighter controls on travellers coming from the Chinese mainland. Imports from China have now dramatically been reduced, so much so, that it was no longer the main importer of a majority of essential goods into Australia.

There was now a lot more of an armed military presence in and around Darwin, as well as an increase in the number of Federal Police officers, especially at key locations, like the hospitals, the university, the high schools, the courthouses, the main shopping centres, the main television and radio stations, and all military bases in the Darwin area, now have tighter security around them.

The next morning, while eating breakfast, one of the reception staff delivered a fax letter that was sent from home, with a list of things that need fixing or replacing, that Dad had noted down while doing the final inspection of the property, and so for the next the rest of the day we were shopping, for a new fridge and freezer, a new washing machine, a kettle, toaster, and a microwave oven.

In addition to what was on the list, we also included a dishwasher, a new vacuum cleaner, four portable air conditioners, a sandwich maker, a rice cooker, and an air fryer. In addition to those items, we also purchased a brand-new King size bed and mattress, plus linen, and pillows, plus we bought two very comfortable recliner chairs.

At another store, we bought a large car fridge and a retractable awning for our new vehicle, as well as a portable BBQ for the homestead, and two single Kayaks, to use on the coast at the station, if and when we have some spare time, to relax and have some fun. We had been told by Mum and Dad, that we would need to do a bit of a cleanup of the station homestead area, as there is a lot of junk lying around.

This includes old vehicles, scrap metal, old tyres, old station machinery and old sheds. Dad had suggested that we get the frontend loader that is on the station and dig a very large hole, somewhere inland and well away from the coast, to bury it all, so no seepage may contaminate the gulf.

After a day of shopping with arrangements made to collect everything in two days, we relaxed for the rest of the day and searching online we found a twin axel 7x4 trailer for sale locally, which we made an offer to purchase, and we would collect it in two days.

The following morning, while enjoying breakfast at the resort, we were given a message by one of the staff members, informing us that our vehicle has arrived from Carnarvon, and the keys could be collected from reception. Surprised by the early arrival of our new vehicle, we finished breakfast quickly and headed to the reception deck, where we were handed the keys and a folder, with all the paperwork inside.

Happy to have the vehicle earlier than expected, we went for a good drive around town, and visited a few sights, before going to collect and pay for our new trailer, which we would use to collect all of our recent purchases when we are ready to head down to the station. We collected some of them before lunch so that we could attach the awning, and loaded up the two kayaks onto the roof rack, and we had just completed those tasks, when my mobile rang, with an unknown local number.

“Hello, this is Kip speaking,” I said answering the call, “Hello, Mr Ashburton, this is Douglas Turner speaking, I am the senior station hand at Exmouth Gulf Station. I just wanted to let you know that the past station managers, have packed up all of their belongings and left the station very early this morning,” came the response, “I see, well first off, I am Kipling, Not Mr Ashburton, that is my father, and secondly, we can be down there later today, once we have collected all of our new purchases.

Can you do a stocktake on what food is still in the stores and fridge and freezers, and send me a list of what we need, so we can do some shopping before leaving,” I replied, “Yes sir, I will get right onto it. I am not sure if you know or not, but my younger brother – Fraser and I would like to remain employed at the station if that is ok? I also wanted to let you know that we have not been paid for the past week’s wages,” the young man said to me.

“Yes, I am aware of you and Fraser, and I am glad that you are staying, my partner Joshua and I will need all the help we can get. Look forward to meeting you both later, goodbye,” I said before ending the call. After relaying the information to Joshua, we packed up our belongings and checked out of the resort two days early, and with the vehicle loaded up, we headed back into the shopping area of town, to do some additional clothes and boots, as well as stopping at the Camping store again, to pick up two large eskies, to load all the cold foods into it.

A few hours later, with the trailer now loaded up with all of our purchases, which included, a new quad bike, and all the extra shopping, we were heading south towards our new home at the station, and we called ahead to let the lads know that we were on our way, and forty minutes later, I slowed down and turned off the main road, onto the main access road to the homestead.

“The land is so flat and barren out here,” Joshua commented, “Yes, but not as bad as the home properties, at least here, we have good ground coverage of low shrubs and grasses, with the occasional tree here and there,” I replied, as we drove down the gravel road heading east towards the lower end of the gulf, stopping to open and close the front gate, a few hundred metres in, which had a large sign on it.

“Exmouth Gulf Station – Keep Gates Closed at all times. No Tourist Accommodation. No Trespassing. Entry via appointment only.” I wondered if that was something we should look into, having tourist accommodation on the station, as an extra income source, but that was something to look into at a later date.

Five minutes later I slowed once again, as buildings came into sight, noting that the last 1000 metres of the track was smooth and a lot wider, meaning it could be the station airfield, and as we approached the homestead paddock, we saw someone open the gates for us, and closed them behind us, as he gave us a wave as we passed.

Moments later we pulled in at the back of the homestead, near a double garage, and moments later, I heard the sound of a quad bike approaching from where we came, just as a second young man exited the nearby cottage, that is just behind the main homestead.

“Hello, my name is Douglas Turner, and the rascal behind you is my brother Fraser, welcome to Exmouth Gulf Station,” the older of the two said to us when we exited our new Ute, which was very nice to drive on the main road as well as the gravel roads.

I saw Fraser frown at his older brother’s comment, which made me chuckle, “Hello, I am Kipling Ashburton, and this is my better half, Joshua Alliston. Thank you for the welcome, now if you don’t mind, we have a heck of a lot of stuff that needs unloading before we start having a look around the place and getting settled in,” I replied.

Copyright June 2023... All Rights are Reserved, Preston Wigglesworth
  • Like 10
  • Love 15
  • Fingers Crossed 2

.

Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Thank You Sir for The Latest Chapter of Kip & Josh : Sea Scout Adventures 😁. They Truly Think Out About Everything They Do and Prep for It . Look Forward To Their Station Based Adventures Here . 🐕🛻📝🚜

  • Love 4
Link to comment

Well, things are still in a pickle as regarding the diplomatic front as it would appear someone(s) nose is seriously out of joint. Not only have they discouraged their illegal expansion/island building, but they are hitting their merchants in the wallet...

Let's hope their time on the station is calm and peaceful...tho Quokka may have other plans for the boys...

  • Love 1
  • Haha 2
  • Fingers Crossed 1
Link to comment
On 7/12/2023 at 12:56 PM, drsawzall said:

Let's hope their time on the station is calm and peaceful...tho Quokka may have other plans for the boys...

Are you suggesting @quokka would throw a 'spanner in the works' just for fun?

No, Preston couldn't possibly be that (insert favourite 'negative' adjective here), could he? It's not like there's a history of that or 'cliffies' in this or previous stories (oh wait). :whistle:

We'll just patiently wait for the next chapters in this story, to bring us up to date on: Hamysh's condition; corporate changes at Lloyd; ditto for Xander and Langley (plus Xander's two adopted boys hint, hint ); AND see if the Turner brothers, Douglas and Fraser, have any 'issues' working for a gay couple Kipling & Joshua. 

Lots for Preston to tackle. The items listed above will need at least 10 more chapters, before the NEXT BOOK :read: launches (pun intended for all the sub, yacht story lines), taking on 'Big Crocs' and dragons of diabolical CPofCN. 

Edited by Anton_Cloche
  • Haha 3
Link to comment
1 hour ago, Anton_Cloche said:

Are you suggesting @quokka would throw a 'spanner in the works' just for fun?

No, Preston couldn't possibly be that (insert favourite 'negative' adjective here), could he? It's not like there's a history of that or 'cliffies' in this or previous stories (oh wait). :whistle:

We'll just patiently wait for the next chapters in this story, to bring us up to date on: Hamysh's condition; corporate changes at Lloyd; ditto for Xander and Langley (plus Xander's two adopted boys hint, hint ); AND see if the Turner brothers, Douglas and Fraser, have any 'issues' working for a gay couple Kipling & Joshua. 

Lots for Preston to tackle. The items listed above will need at least 10 more chapters, before the NEXT BOOK :read: launches (pun intended for all the sub, yacht story lines), taking on 'Big Crocs' and dragons of diabolical CPofCN. 

Your a hoot mate.

roflmao.  🤣🤣🤣

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..