Jump to content
    quokka
  • Author
  • 2,401 Words
  • 1,949 Views
  • 5 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Great Western - 13. GW Chap 13

“Yes Dad, I am all set, and by the way, I will be asking the train drivers to do 2-minute stops at Katanning, Narrogin & York, a 15-minute stop in Northam, and 2-minute stops at Wongan Hills and Morawa, so we can provide a pick up and drop off service similar to the Prospector. I will be timing it for the whole journey, and I estimate that we will get to Northam in 4 hours and Geraldton in 8 hours and 40 minutes” I announced to Dad.

“Ok, any reason for doing this?” dad asked me, “Yes, I wasn’t to make sure that we have a timetable that fits in with the Prospector and the new South Coast Miner, so passengers can get from Geraldton or Albany to Kalgoorlie or vice versa, in one day, as well as from Esperance or Leonora to East Perth or vice versa, also in one day” I said.

I was planning to work on that before the trip, but I have been putting it off, as it seems to difficult to work out” Dad said to me, and I chuckled. “Nah, it is simple Pa, I have most of it worked out already” I responded.

“Fine, I will leave it in your capable hands, make sure you stay safe, and I have booked you into the same hotel as before, with Reynold booked into the room next to yours, so you have some company if need be” Dad announced. “I’m sure he will be thrilled with the upgrade in accommodation” I said and Dad laughed, “Come on grab your luggage, and I will drive you down to the shed” Dad said.

“Good morning all, I will not be joining you for this trip, but Vern will. He has a lot of school work to do, so he will stay in his cabin, is the Diamond car connected up?’ Dad said to the staff gathered in the early morning chill, just inside the shed doors.

“Yes sir, I anticipated that you may be wanting it, so I connected it up, as car 5, between Platinum and Gold Class, last night” one of the drivers said. “Good, as we have two passengers that have booked two of the cabins for the journey up, but no bookings for the return. Now, my son has a few things to announce” Dad said.

“In a weeks’ time, a ship will be departing from southern France, with two more 8 car trains, and they will be offloaded in Geraldton. Once they are here, we will be dividing them up a bit, as we will be starting a new train journey from Leonora and Esperance to Kalgoorlie. This will be called the South Coast Miner, and each of the two trains will have 5 cars, as it is a much shorter journey.

The timetable for those two trains will match in with the morning Prospector from Perth, and the afternoon Prospector from Kalgoorlie, while the Great Western will also have a slight timetable change, to fit in with connecting the Prospector in Northam, so those coming from Kalgoorlie on the morning train, can continue south to Albany or north to Geraldton on the Great Western, or people from Albany or Geraldton can go on to Kalgoorlie.

Today, I will be asking the drivers to stop the train for two minutes in Katanning, Narrogin & York, plus a 15-minute stop in Northam, so as to connect with the Prospector, and 2-minute stops at Wongan Hills and Morawa. The new rail link is completed in Northam, so we won’t have to stop at Avon Yards any more, but it is a slow tight bend that will be needed to take slowly.

Construction work has also started on additional rail platforms in Kalgoorlie and Northam, to allow for the additional trains stopping at similar times. That is all I have to say, except, is the train fully loaded and ready to go?” I said to the train crew.

“No, Master Vern, we are still waiting on one more delivery, which should have been here by now” Reynold responded, just as we heard a van approaching the shed.

“Good it is here, lets get loaded, and on our way to the station, to collect our passengers, oh one last thing, we have a full train today, with the exception of one Diamond cabin, so we will be busy” I said.

Once the last of the supplies had been loaded onboard and stored away, the we all climbed onboard, and slowly made our way to the station, and once I had placed my luggage in Cabin one, I set off to find Reynold, who was in the Car 7 kitchen.

“Reynold, I need to inform you, that you will be staying in the same hotel as me, as my guardian, since my Dad won’t be on this trip, you will have your own room, adjoining mine, but it has no connecting door. I hope this is alright with you?” I announced to the Porter.

“Wow, an upgrade. Yes, I will be happy to stay in the same hotel, does it have Foxtel?” Reynold asked, and I chuckled, “Yes it does, but some of the movies you will have to pay for yourself” I said, as the train approached the Albany train station, where all the passengers are waiting to board.

Due to the large number of passengers, we were about 4 minutes late, from leaving Albany, but I am sure that we would make up the time, later in the day. Once I had settled into my Cabin, I opened up my laptop, and I received a notice that I had an email. What surprised me, was that it was from Dad, adding me to the email, which is addressed to Mr Barrett, the WA Minister of Transport.

“Dear Mr Barrett, on behalf of my wife, my son and I, we thankyou for your approach for our company to take over the running of the Country rail services in Western Australia. At the moment, we would only be interested in taking on the Prospector, as it’s services will tie in with our future plans, to provide a rail transport service, that come second to the Ghan and Indian Pacific.

Very soon, another two more trains will be leaving France, to be shipped to Western Australia, to allow us to expand our current services, with a second Great Western Train, as well as a new South Coast Miner service, between Esperance and Leonora, via Kalgoorlie.

When the new trains arrive, and divided up to each specific journey, passengers will be able to travel from Esperance or Leonora to Perth in one day, or from Albany or Geraldton to Kalgoorlie, also in one day, or Kalgoorlie to Albany or Geraldton in one day, all on the train services, with the inclusion of the Prospector service. We look forward to hearing from you, in response to our proposal. Regards Christopher, Catherine and Vern Ashburton”.

I was pleased that Dad had sent an email in response to the State Government offer to run the country rail services, with our own suggestions, and I hoped that we will get a positive response soon. Just before the train made it’s first stop at Katanning, I picked up the internal phone and pressed PA.

“Ladies and Gentlemen, on behalf of the owners, I wish to welcome you onboard the Great Western, for its second return journey to Geraldton. To make improvements to our service, we shall be making a number of short stops along the way, please remain on the train when we make these stops, as they will be only for two minutes each.

Thankyou for your attention, and enjoy the rest of your journey” I said before ending the announcement. Shortly after hanging up the phone, it buzzed with an internal call.

“Reynold here sir, we are approaching our first stop at Katanning”, “Thanks mate, I will be stepping out of the train to inspect the train station, please make sure no one else steps off” I responded before ending the call.

When the train stopped at Katanning, I stepped onto the train station platform, and walked the full length of the platform, before stepping back onto the train at the back of car 2, just as the train horn sounded, and began to move forward once more. Once we were picking up speed, I closed and locked the door, before making my way forward to the driver’s cabin.

“Hey you, how come the announcement said, no one was meant to step off the train and you did just that?” a large man, who looked like he was a bikie, demanded as he grabbed my arm to stop me.

“Because sir, that was me that made that announcement, and my parents and I own this train, now can I help you with anything else sir?” I responded, as I spotted Reynold heading my way to assist, and I indicated to him that I was alright.

“How can a snotty nosed teenage kid like you own a train like this, you are just pulling my leg” the man said to me, not believing a word of what I said.

“It is up to you to decide if you believe me or not sir, but I assure you that I am the oldest son and personal assistant to the General Manager of Ashburton Engineering, now is there anything more?” I asked, sounding a little annoyed.

“I demand to speak to the head porter?” the man said angrily as Reynold approached. “That would be me sir, my name is Reynold, is everything ok Mr Ashburton?” Reynold said, and the man looked at Reynold then to me, and back to Reynold, before letting go of my arm and sitting back down.

As soon as I was released, I walked forward a few steps and through the doors to car one, and continued forward, till I was inside the Crew lounge, just behind the Driver cabin. “Are you ok sir, can I get you a glass of water or anything?” Reynold asked when he appeared less than a minute after.

“A strong cup of tea please, no sugar and black” I replied, and Reynold disappeared to get my cuppa, while I knocked on the driver cabin and opened the door.

“Are you ok sir, Reynold sounded concerned just now?” the second driver asked me, “Yes, I just need a while to calm down a little” I said as I picked up the phone and pressed the number for the closest Buffet servery.

“Is Reynold there please?” I asked, when my call was answered, and a moment later, he was on the phone. “Forget the cuppa, call the police, and ask them to meet the train at the next main town, which I think is Wagin, we will be arriving there in about twenty minutes” I said to Reynold then ended the call. “I will remain here, until that man is off my train, at Wagin” I commented to the drivers, before returning to the crew lounge and sitting down.

A long twenty minutes later, the train came to a stop at the Wagin train station, where there were two police officers waiting for us, and I stepped onto the platform, from the side door at the back of car one. “I was expecting an adult, are you Mr Ashburton?” the police sergeant stated.

“Yes Sergeant, the name is Vern Ashburton, co-owner of the Great Western” I replied, holding out my hand and shaking the two officer’s hands, “We were informed, that you have a passenger that you wish to be removed from your train?” the police senior constable said.

“Yes, he is a big man, in plain leathers, looks to be a bikie, rounded face, full gingery moustache and beard, over six-foot tall, he is in Car 2 Seat 5. I wish him to be removed for public disturbance and assaulting a minor” I responded, showing the clear red mark on my arm, where the man had grabbed me in a tight grip and the police senior constable pulled out his mobile and took a few photos of my arm, and one of my upper body.

“Lead the way Mr Ashburton” the police Sergeant said, and they followed me onto the back of car one, and through the door to car two.

As soon as the man saw the police, he stood up and turned to run the other way, when he ran straight into the third driver, who was of similar build, and the bikie was quickly detained. I turned to the other three men at the same table, who didn’t look too pleased.

“It is up to you, you can leave on your own merit, or I can have you forcibly removed” I said to the men. “We will go quietly, but we are not happy” one of the other bikies stated.

“Tell your friend… that he is banned from travelling on any train operated by Ashburton Engineering” I stated, “His name on the ticket says he is Mr Ben Wilkes” Reynold added from behind me.

“Right, so tell Mr Wilkes what I said, and be lucky that I don’t ban you three as well. I will give you a 50% refund on your ticket, but Mr Wilkes will receive nothing, because he assaulted a minor, as I am only 16 years old” I said to the men, who nodded their understanding, and stood to collect their luggage and leave the train.

Once we were moving once more, and now over 15 minutes behind schedule, I headed back to the Diamond car, and tried to relax. Less than ten minutes later, my phone rang, and the caller ID showed that it was Dad. “Hi Dad, what’s happening?” I said as cheerfully as possible.

“I’ve just had a worrying call from Reynold, are you ok?” my Dad responded, “Yes, I’m just a little shaken up, and a slightly bruised arm, where he grabbed me, that is all” I replied, “So, what has happened to the guy who grabbed you?” Dad asked.

“In the custody of the police at Wagin, and I evicted his three friends as well, telling them they will get a 50% refund, while Mr Wilkes will get nothing in return, apart from a lifetime ban, and some time with the police.

Updated
Copyright, December 2018, Preston Wigglesworth, All Right Are Reserved
  • Like 14
  • Love 5
  • Sad 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Very excellent chapter. It appears that Vern is now the official speaker for the ARG at least the public speaking parts of the business. I’m glad that he is able to take on this role as he did very well in high school with the class on the subject. Not only that but he has taken on quite the role as the Executive assistant to his father and he put together quite a bit of the presentation when he was speaking in front of Parliament. I hope that because of the presentation that they get the backing they need to move forward with the plan that they have for the rail service in the region.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
2 hours ago, Will Hawkins said:

It is  never a good idea to assault anybody, but it is even worse if that is a minor.

A major minor...

😝

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..