Jump to content
    quokka
  • Author
  • 2,319 Words
  • 2,389 Views
  • 4 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Great Western - 9. GW Chap 9

“Just leave it Dad, I will be fine in a week, and I can go back to school” I said. Dad pulled out my mobile and I-Pad out of a bag, and placed them on the table beside the bed. “This should help with the boredom a little; also I have brought you two sets of pyjamas, and some school books. Just call us if you need anything else,” Dad said to me.

“How is the train Papa?” I asked my Dad, “A lot of body damage, but thankfully nothing damaged in the undercarriage or anywhere else, we have a local Engineering company working on fixing the big dent as we speak,” Dad replied.

After a very boring week in hospital, I was released on the Saturday afternoon, and spent the rest of the weekend being fussed over, by Mrs Frazier and Mum, and I was glad when Monday morning finally arrived, and this time it was Dad who took us to school, and I notice him head towards the administration building after we had said good bye and headed separate ways within the school.

I had been at my locker for less than a few minutes, when I spotted the same bully and his mates approaching me, and I quickly closed and locked the locker and started fast walking away from them, taking many different hallways to try and loose them, and I ended up in the boys’ toilets, at the furthest end of the school.

Locking the cubicle, I closed the lid and sat down, and lifted my feet so they can’t be seen from the other side of the door, and I tried to calm down and breathe slowly. When I heard some boys entering, it didn’t take long to know that it was the bully and his mates, and they were doing something at the sinks.

I soon discovered they had water balloons being filled with water, which they threw over the door, some smashing against the back wall and some hit my head and chest, all of them soaking my uniform. “That is for running away from us Train boy, you can’t hide from us,” the bully said as they laughed loudly as they exited the bathroom.

After a minute of silence, I was about to exit the cubicle when I heard footsteps and I froze. “Vern, are you in here,” I heard my brother say in German, and I let out my breath and exited the cubicle, and went to the sink to try and dry off. “Papa is still at the school, I called him when I saw the bullies chasing you, and he wants us to head to the administration building right away,” Oskar said to me.

I hit the drying machine button, and adjusted the flow, so as to try and dry off a bit, and then I walked out of the bathroom, with Oskar following close behind. As soon as we entered the administration building, I saw our Dad and the school headmaster talking, and when they saw me soaking wet, his facial expression changed to outrage.

“You call this an anti-bullying policy, I demand that the boy and his three friends be expelled from the school today, or I will be slapping a lawsuit on you and this school so fast, your arse won’t sit on a chair till the next full moon” our Dad said angrily, and Oskar and I chuckled at our Dad’s comment. “You can go to your class now boys” the headmaster said to us.

“Don’t you dare tell my boys, what they can and can’t do, you lost that right, when my son was bullied for the second time in 2 weeks, with Vern spending time in hospital for a week the first time” my Dad said to the Headmaster before turning to face us, “Boys, go and find Tomas, we are going home,” Dad said in German, and we dashed out of the administration building, to find our little brother, in the prep school section of the school.

When we arrived back at the admin building, there were two police officers approaching the building, and ignoring them we entered and found Dad still having words with the Headmaster. “…so, are you going to do anything about this, or do I call my barrister?” we heard our Dad say.

“Please Mr Ashburton, lets go into my office and discuss this calmly and not in public,” the headmaster pleaded, as the two police officers entered the foyer. “Grace, what appears to be the problem?” the officer with Sergeant stripes on his arm asked, and Dad turned to the officer.

“I want four boys from this school arrested for assault, causing bodily harm, since this school administration doesn’t appear to care about disciplining four school bullies” our Dad said to the officer, as the officer looked at me, then turned back to Dad.

“It’s Mr Ashburton isn’t it?” the Sergeant asked, “That is correct officer, and these are my son’s, Vern, Oskar and Tomas, I am removing them from this school here and now,” my Dad said. “You can’t do that, they have to attend school, that is the law,” the Sergeant responded.

“Officer, all three of my sons are fluent in French, Italian and German, as well as English, and Vern here is fluent in four other languages. They are very intelligent and resourceful, and I am sure that they will do much better being home schooled, than have to deal with ridiculously weak discipline, that this school has.

Just over a week ago, Vern was slammed against the lockers on his first day at school, and ended up in hospital again, this time for a full week, now in my books, that is assault causing bodily harm, so are you going to arrest and charge these boys, or do I contact your superior in Perth” Dad said.

“No need for threats Mr Ashburton, I believe you. Grace, can you have the four boys who assaulted Vern Ashburton called to the Administration building please” the police Sergeant asked the headmaster.

When we saw the four boys approaching the front door of the admin building, and the lead bully saw two police officers waiting, he bolted away, heading towards the front gate to the property, while the other three boys reluctantly entered the building, with heads pointing down to their shoes.

“Conference room now please boys” the Headmaster demanded, and we followed the Headmaster and Police, down the passageway and into a good size conference room. “Boys, how many warnings do I have to give you, about staying out of trouble,” the police Sergeant said, “We are sorry, Sarge, its Glenn, he keeps threatening us if we don’t help him out with his pranks,” one of the boys said.

“Pranks, you call sending my son to hospital for a week a prank?” our Dad demanded loudly, “This is Mr Ashburton, Vern’s father. He is requesting that you boys be charged with assault, for the incident just over a week ago, and today’s one as well, what do you have to say about that?” the police Sergeant stated to the boys.

“It was just all in fun that is all, we didn’t know that he was in hospital, honest Sarge” one of the other boys said. “Regarding these two incidences being at school, I am putting your three boys on two weeks of suspension from school, plus when you return, you will be on detention during lunch time each day, for the rest of the term” the headmaster announced, and Dad groaned.

“Come on boys, we are going to go down to the station, and have a chat about these charges that you are all facing” the police sergeant said and he led the three boys out of the building. “I want that lead bully expelled from this school, if not, then I will be removing my boys from this school permanently, demanding all three boys school fees back and I will be seriously considering suing you and the school. Have a nice day” my Dad said and we followed him out of the building and to the car.

For the rest of the day, my brothers and I did some reading, and Mum gave us a project to do together, and we even spent some time out in the garden chasing each other around. The following morning, we were instructed to wear neat casual clothes, as we would be visiting some of the museums and other places today, as an alternative to going to school.

In the morning we visited the Old Albany Prison, and the Museum located just down the road from home. After lunch we travelled out to the Whaling Station, where we saw everything about whaling, before heading home. After an early afternoon tea, Dad got us to work on writing a report on what we had seen today.

For me, I had to write a 2,200-word report, for Oskar, he had to write a 700-word report, while Tomas had to draw a picture of some of the things that we saw today, and write a short story about what he drew.

On Wednesday morning, Dad instructed us to prepare for a day at school, so we all dressed in our school uniforms, and he took us to school and instructed us to follow him to the administration building. Just by chance, the headmaster was standing in the foyer, talking to one of the teachers when we entered, and on seeing us arrive, she approached us.

“So, what is it to be? Has the lead bully been expelled from this school?” my Dad said, getting straight to the point of his visit today. “Mr Ashburton, I wish you would reconsider your actions, as it will do great harm to this school community,” the headmaster stated.

“Harm, what about the harm to my son, Vern has gone through, because of that bully and his mates, and your inability to discipline them, for what they have done, and what has happened to the others?” our Father said in a raised voice.

“Please Mr Ashburton, can we discuss this in a civilised manner, without shouting,” the Headmaster asked,
“Well, what is your answer to my questions?” my Dad asked, “The other boys were let off with a warning, and the lead bully has been suspended from school for the remainder of the term,” the headmaster responded, and this is when Dad retrieved something out of his inside jacket pocket, and handed it to the headmaster.

“What is this?” the headmaster asked, “You have just been served with a summons, I will see you in court” my Dad announced and he turned and headed out the door, with us following close behind. At the door I stopped for a moment, and looked back at the Headmaster, who looked shocked as she held onto the summons that she had just received, before continuing on.

From school we headed to the District Education Centre, where we notified them that we had withdrawn from the Grammar school, and that my Dad was considering home schooling. The lady that we spoke to suggested looking into the other private school, called the Australian Christian College.

Dad informed her, that he had already looked into that school and he was not happy with their style of schooling, and after a short discussion, Dad agreed to look into other options before taking the home-schooling approach.

After a week of not attending school, Oskar and Tomas were enrolled into John Calvin School which is a small co-educational independent school, and because I was over the age of 16, I was able to select either high school or TAFE College and I chose college.

I chose business management and tourism, which I found out, I could do the Certificate 3 & 4 courses online, over a two-year period, which is perfect, as it meant that I could also spend time with Dad at work, and Dad was happy to take me on as a part time assistant.

Just a few days later, Dad received an email from the WA Minister of Transport, Mr Barrett. “To Mr Christopher Ashburton, I am hoppy to inform you, that after experiencing your train journey in person, and speaking to some of the people who also travelled on your train, the State Government has agreed to allow you to provide a passenger service on your train, known as the Great Western, on your desired train route.

I believe that you already have confirmation of establishing a train station in Geraldton, and I understand that the rail freight company is happy for you to use their rail network. Good luck with your venture. E. Barrett, Minister for Transport”.

Dad was thrilled with the news, and he sent an email to Westnet Rail Freight, to arrange a meeting to decide on a suitable timetable to use the rail line from Albany to Geraldton. Dad was also working on another deal, with a major mining company.

Where they would pay half each to build a heavy freight rail line from Newman, where the current rail line from Port Hedland ends, 620 kilometres south to Mt Magnet, before heading west for 240 kilometres to Mullewa, giving the mining company a second port to load their ore from.

The new rail line would follow the Great Northern Highway for the most part from Newman to Mount Magnet, via Meekatharra and Cue, and on the Mt Magnet Road to Mullewa, where it will link up with the existing railway line.

The total distance of new track would be 860 kilometres, and Dad was also negotiating with Westnet, to allow the connection between their rail network and the new rail from the Pilbara region, with Dad agreeing to pay for the upgrade of the rail line from Geraldton to Mullewa to handle heavy rail loads.

Updated
Copyright, December 2018, Preston Wigglesworth, All Right Are Reserved
  • Like 14
  • Love 8
  • Sad 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Another fantastic chapter. I just don’t know why it is that some people just have to be a problem for Vern when he says he is one of the owners and the personal assistant to the general manager of Ashburton Engineering. I’m glad that Reynold was right close by when the obnoxious guy starts to cause trouble, when the man demands to speak to the head porter and Reynold steps up and introduces himself then asks Vern if he is alright only he asked him by saying if Mr Ashburton was alright. The man looked between Vern and Reynold’s a couple of times after Reynold asked if Vern was alright which caused the man to finally let Vern go. I’m glad that Mr Ashburton is going forward with the lawsuit against the Grammar school, only the headmaster did everything in her power to get the court throw the case out and after Mr Ashburton stated the reason for the suit in greater detail it was decided that the case would be heard by the Supreme Court as there was more than enough proof that the suit was needed. I can’t wait to read about the trip to Switzerland and how it goes.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..