Jump to content
    quokka
  • Author
  • 1,097 Words
  • 1,072 Views
  • 6 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Tough Times - 14. Tough Chapter 14

After some discussions between Marc and the Captain, they decided to stay in the upper reaches of Monument Harbour, for at least one more week, and in that time, they would decide on where they would be heading next, the problem was now, I was not entirely sure if I wanted to remain on the yacht or not.

Because of the time stranded on Six Foot Lake, it was decided that we would return to Invercargill for another restock of supplies, and because we have already gone through the customs process, there would be no need for anyone to come onboard, so while there Rebecca and her three boys would remain out of sight for the time we are there.

We would be arriving at Bluff Harbour, just before sunset where we would remain until midday the following day, and in that time the crew would be doing any maintenance required, as well as assisting with loading supplies onboard, and having it all stowed away.

At Breakfast that morning, after a nice restful night of sleep, in calm waters, we Marc asked all the four officers and three senior crew to join us for breakfast. “I have called you all together, to put to you all a suggestion, that we hope will keep Rebecca and her boys safe, as well as keeping everyone busy without getting bored out of your minds.

What the Captain, 1st Officer and I have come up with, we think will be adventurous and challenging to everyone onboard, which will include paying passengers…” Marc announced and there was silence in the saloon as the news sunk in. “What Mr Stalder is saying, is that we will be doing a unique one-of-a-kind cruise, that will give the passengers a very rare look at some of New Zealand’s very remote islands in the Pacific. It will involve a twelve - day cruise, starting from here at Invercargill, and ending in the Capital of Wellington.

During the cruise, we will stop at Doughboy Bay on the west coast of Stewart Island, pass by Alert Stack, North-East and Broughton Island, pass through Victoria Passage and along the top of Adam Island, and stop off at Auckland Island, visit the weather station at Campbell Island, pass by the Antipodes Islands, as well as the Ruatara and East Group of the Bounty Islands, and stopping at Flowerpot Bay on Pitt Island, and Waitangi on Chatham Island, before ending the cruise at Wellington,” the Captain announced.

“In total, the distance is 1,845 nautical miles, and I must confess, that it will not always be easy sailing, and that is all part of the adventure, of tackling the great Pacific Ocean… So please, what are all of your thoughts on this plan?” Marc asked.

“Honestly, I think you are nuts to even dream this up… but I also think it is brilliant, and I am up for the challenge, as I think my boys are too,” Rebecca responded, and we saw the three boys nod their heads in agreement. “Where are all the guests going to stay, from what I am aware of, is that there are only two guest rooms free at the moment,” Paxton asked.

“Good point that you bring up there young man, and to answer that, we will be making some changes to the accommodations,” Marc stated. “First off, I will happily move down to Hans old cabin, the staff cabin on the main deck, and I am prepared to pitch in as a crew member where required,” I said straight off. “Yes, that is what I was hoping would happen, and I am sure the Captain will find some work for you to do, Marc replied.

“I would like to suggest that I take up the other staff cabin located on the lower deck, and that maybe my boys could be allocated crew cabins, and I too would like to work,” Rebecca announced. “Actually, there is one officer cabin that is vacant, that you can occupy, and the twins can have the lower deck staff cabin just down the hall from you, while Paxton can have a crew cabin to himself, but that will mean that two of the junior crew members will have to share a cabin,” the Captain stated.

“Anton and I will happily share a cabin, Captain,” the Galley Cook announced, as the Junior steward nodded in agreement, “Good, that is settled then, and with the VIP cabin vacant, we have all seven guest cabins available for paying guests,” Marc said happily. “Great, now Mr Alpike and Ms Wright, see me after breakfast, to be allocated yacht duties. That is all for this meeting for now,” the Captain announced to end the meeting.

Rebecca was assigned to be a galley steward, while I was allocated deck duties, which I half expected to happen, but because I have some bosun experience, I was given the title of 2nd bosun, and once we were fully loaded up with supplies, Mar and the Captain decided that we needed to do a trial run of the cruise, and so at 0800 hours the following morning, we set off for our first stop on Stewart Island.

After doing our own dummy run of the whole trip, we spent a few days of R & R in Wellington, before restocking with all the supplies we need for the first of we hope lots of many cruises of New Zealand’s South Pacific region, and Marc had been keeping busy flooding all media outlets of all kinds with advertising of the new cruises. He had appointed a travel agency that would have outright control of all bookings for the cruise, and a week after the advertising had begun, the first two cruises had been booked out.

With two cruises per month, with a three-day break between each cruise, we were all kept very busy for the first few months, and time seemed to cruise by quickly…

Brady and Kyle kept in regular contact with Marc and myself, and at the end of the first two months of cruises, after the usual clean up after the guests have departed the yacht in Wellington, Marc and I called a meeting of all the crew.

“I just wanted to let you all know, that we are very pleased with how well everyone has worked over the past two months, and as a reward, everyone is getting a paid six-day holiday to attend a wedding…” Marc announce, “We are getting married…” I added happily, and all the crew cheered and congratulated us both.

The End
Copyright September 2022 All Rights are Reserved, Preston Wigglesworth
  • Like 14
  • Love 14
  • Wow 4
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Seems like working and living together was good for the relationship to grow.

Lovely ending to the story.

  • Love 5
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..