Jump to content
    quokka
  • Author
  • 2,581 Words
  • 1,772 Views
  • 5 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Eruption - 5. Erupt Ch 5

“Are you on holiday?” Marcus asked me, “Yes, this is the Northern Summer holidays for me, and I have just completed three years of University studies, which I started early because, I am too smart for my boots, and finished my high school education at the age of fifteen,” I said, and both lads laughed at this comment.

We chatted away as we headed north once we were on the Stuart Highway, before turning right onto the Plenty Highway, and about twenty minutes later turning left onto the main access road to Bushy Park Station. When we arrived at the loading ramp near the homestead, Andrew and Doug were already there, in deep discussion, while not too far away, two other men were standing next to their horses.

“Where is Winston?” Andrew asked when we had unloaded the three horses, “Touch of Colic boss, so we brought Deakin instead,” Jordon replied, and I saw Andrew frown, “Ok, get them saddled up, and Carson, just watch Deakin, he can get a bit spooked sometimes, so keep hold of those reigns,” Andrew said.

Once the horses were saddled up, with the saddle bags loaded up with our food and water, we were each handed a handheld radio, with an attachable mic, which I placed in my pack, and after getting up on Deakin, I attached the mic to my shirt, making sure the volume was up high enough.

“Carson, here is an A4 laminated map of this station, just in case you get separated or lost, and you should be able to find your way back here,” Andrew said as he handed me the map, which I placed inside the pack. “Right you lot, listen up.

We are mustering two paddocks today, and once we have put them through the yards, we should have a good amount to send off to Yalgoo. Carson you pair up with Kent over there, he knows where all the cattle like to gather at this time of the day.

Marcus and Jordon, you two pair up, and Jason and Doug will pair up, everyone clear on what to do?” Andrew announced to all of us. With no response, we set off to start the muster, and it wasn’t long before I heard the sound of the chopper starting up in the distance.

It was a very long and hot day of mustering, We managed to get the first mob in the yards and sorted before lunchtime, where we sheltered under the trees to keep the direct heat off us, and there was a slight cool breeze, which helped to keep most of the flies away from us and our meals.

When I stood up to pack away the lunch and get ready to start again, my body ached all over, as I strained to stand up straight, and I had to stretch a few times, to get reasonably flexible again, to get back up on the horse. “Has it been a while since you last ridden?” Kent asked me, as I settled back in the saddle.

“Yes, in Canada, we don’t ride at all during the late autumn and winter months, as it is too cold for the horses, so yes it has been nearly two months,” I replied, giving a half smile, and Kent just laughed, before moving off to get started on the second muster.

It was starting to get dark when we arrived back at the homestead, having sorted over two hundred cattle, of which just under half of that would be trucked to Western Australia. “You can come back with me, in the chopper, the others will camp overnight here, before bringing the horses back tomorrow,” Andrew said to me, and I nodded my head in understanding.

Half an hour later, we landed at the Bond Springs Homestead, just as the last of the daylight was fading in the western sky. “Go and shower and dinner will be ready for you when you are cleaned up,” Andrew said to me, as I climbed out ducked my head under the slowing blades, and headed for the homestead for a much-needed very hot shower.

“How did you go today, did you learn a lot?” Fiona asked me when I appeared showered and dressed in fresh clothes. “Exhausting, I have not ridden a horse for that long ever before, and I think I have discovered some hidden muscles that are extremely sore,” I replied.

Fiona smiled and indicated for me to sit at the table, and she soon presented a cooked meal for me, “I bet you found it hard to get back on after the lunch break?” Fiona asked after letting me devour a few mouthfuls of food first, and I nodded my head yes. “What’s this message about Fi? Andrew asked when he walked into the room and sat down. “Just as it says, the trucking company is being delayed with our job, because of a breakdown on its current job.

Both trucks are still in Adelaide, so it will be the morning after tomorrow before they can pick up the cattle,” Fiona replied, and Andrew grumbled under his breath as he stormed out of the room, and headed to the study. I was just finishing off my desserts when Andrew reappeared and sat down heavily in his chair, and Fiona handed him his dinner, before returning to cleaning up the kitchen.

“What are your plans now young man, after experiencing two full days on a Territory Cattle Station?” Andrew asked me, when he stopped halfway through his dinner, and then continued to eat. “Well, I still have three weeks to go, so I am not sure what I will be doing, as my aunt is back at work again, and last I heard, she was down near Marla,” I replied.

“How would you like a free trip to Western Australia, It will be good to have someone monitor the stock during the trip instead of relying on unsubstantiated reports from the yards men at each of the overnight stops. I can organise for you to spend a week at my brother’s cattle properties, once you have arrived there,” Andrew asked me.

“That would be great thanks Andrew, as long as it is okay with your brother,” I replied, “Yes, I am sure Liam will be happy to have you stay there, he often uses backpackers to work on his stations during the busy times,” Andrew said to me.

“What will you need to take with me?” I asked, not sure what it would be like travelling in the trucks for three very long days. “Well, if you can head back to Alice Springs, and organise to get a swag and sleeping bag, and just enough cash to keep yourself fed, then I will organise the rest.

I will arrange for the truck to pick you up from the weighing station behind the MVR building on the north end of town, at approximately 9 am, the day after tomorrow,” Andrew said to me. “Sure thing, I will get my aunt to show me where it is,” I replied.

After dinner, I said goodnight, and headed to my room, for a well-deserved night’s sleep, as the last two days had been very long and hard work. I ended up sleeping in until just after 8 am, and after washing up and getting changed, I headed to the kitchen for breakfast.

“Good morning, what would you like for breakfast this morning?” Fiona asked me cheerfully, as I sat down, feeling some of my muscles ache some more. “Oh man, I think it is going to be a rough week with all that travelling ahead of me, after all of that horse riding,” I commented.

“Yes, my husband should have made you take it easy yesterday, he told me that you did such a good job along with the station hands yesterday,” Fiona said to me. “Thanks, I think. I will just have tea and toast please, I am too sore to try eating anything else,” I said to Fiona, who got to work to prepare my breakfast.

After thanking them for the incredible experience on the station over the past two days, and with my aunt’s car loaded up with my luggage, I waved goodbye, as I headed down the driveway of the station homestead, with my destination to be Alice Springs.

When I arrived at my Aunt’s home, I changed and flopped into the swimming pool to just relax and enjoy the cool water, before drying off and heading inside, to get something to eat. “Hello, are you around Carson?” I heard Jillian call out. “Yes, in the kitchen, looking for food,” I replied, and Jillian laughed as she entered the kitchen.

“Ok, go sit down, and I will make us both some lunch. How was the trip to the cattle station?” Jillian asked, “Exhausting, I spent two days helping with mustering cattle on horseback, and I have a rather tender backside,” I replied, which had Jillian laughing some more.

During lunch, I mentioned everything that happened at the cattle station, and Jillian had to dash back to the surgery for the afternoon shift. I cleaned up the kitchen and found a book on the bookshelf about child psychology, I took it to the lounge and began to read it.

Nearly two hours later, I jumped in fright when the house telephone rang, and I debated on whether I should answer it, in the end, I tried to ignore it as I continued to read. “Carson, this is Jillian, I hope you can hear this message, can you come over to the surgery right away please,

I need your professional counselling assistance,” I heard the message on the phone messenger. Leaving the book on the dining table, I walked over to the dining sideboard, and pressed the play button on the messenger, to listen to the message again, to make sure I heard it correctly.

When I had, I dashed to my room, in search of my very best clothes, which Mum insisted that I take with me, and I quickly dressed into my dress trousers, business shirt, tie and coat, before heading for the door, making sure that it was locked behind me. Aunty Jos had mentioned that the surgery was only two doors down, but I was not sure which direction.

Turning left, I walked briskly and soon came to a house set back from the road, with a few vehicles parked on the front lawn, so I presumed that this was the place, and I made my way to the front door, and entered. “Yes sir, how may I help you?” a friendly receptionist asked me.

“My name is Mr Carson Newton, Dr Jillian asked me to come to see her about something urgent,” I responded, just as I saw Jillian stepping out of a room down the passageway and walking towards me. “Mr Newton, thank you for coming so quickly, can you follow me please,” Jillian said professionally.

Jillian led me into a room opposite to the one that she had exited from and closed the door behind me. We were in a consulting room, but instead of an examination bed, there was a two-seater lounge and a one-seater comfy chair. “Thanks for coming; my you look very smart in that suit. I need your assistance with a rather delicate matter,” Jillian said to me, and I was a little confused about what this was all about.

“I can help wherever I can, as long as it is legal,” I replied. “At university have you studied Child and Adolescent Psychology and Greif Counselling?” Jillian asked me. “Yes, I have, I was actually reading the book on it, that you have at home when you called me, and I completed an Associate Diploma in Counselling, just last year,” I replied.

“Excellent, just what I was hoping, I have a 31-year-old female patient across the hall who has an eight-year-old son, I can assist my patient, I am just hoping that you could spend some time with the boy, in here,” Jillian said to me. “Yes, I guess I can do that, do you have a writing pad and pens?” I responded.

“Yes, in the desk drawer, you will also find a micro recorder and tapes in there too, thanks heaps, I will just go and get them and introduce you to the mother, her name is Pippa before we leave you with the boy, Toby,” Jillian said before dashing out the door, and I sat down at the desk and took a deep breath, before opening the top drawer and pulling out a new writing pad and two pens, plus the recorder and a new tape.

A few moments later, Jillian returned, knocking on the door first, as she led the young woman, who was covered in bruises and a shy boy who was hiding behind her. “Hello, I am Carson Newton, I am a Counsellor,” I said as I held out my hand, and when she didn’t shake, I dropped my hand.

“H… hi, I’m Pippa Morrison, and this little man is my son, Toby,” the young woman eventually said, “Well, it is a pleasure to meet you Pippa, and you too Toby. Now would you mind if I have a little chat with Toby, while Dr Jillian spends some time helping you?” I asked Pippa.

“I guess that will be ok, but he isn’t very good with strangers,” Pippa responded, “That is understandable, and this is just going to be a casual chat, nothing more. Maybe we can get our receptionist to get a drink and cookies for Toby here,” I suggested, looking up at Jillian, as I had crouched down to Toby’s height.

Jillian nodded her head, and led the way out of the consulting room with Pippa, closing the door behind them. “Now Toby, would you be comfortable in the lounge or the comfy chair?” I asked the boy, who looked at his options and chose the comfy chair.

“Good, now I am going to bring my office chair around so I am not hiding behind a big ugly desk, and we will get to know one another,” I said to the boy. “You talk funny,” Toby said to me, and I smiled, just as there was a knock on the door and I called out to enter.

“The receptionist entered with a tray and placed it on the coffee table before leaving the room. “Now then, oh yes, you said I talk funny, that is because, I have spent most of my life living in a country called Canada, and on the east coast, where I am from they speak two languages, and that is why I have a strange accent.

I was actually born here in Australia, but my parents and little brother live in Canada,” I said to the boy, as I handed him a cup of cordial and a biscuit. The second cup had tea in it, and after taking a sip, I smiled, as it was just how I liked it, white with no sugar.

After taking another sip, I placed the cup on the desk and grabbed the pad and pen, and wrote the boy’s name at the top of the page. For the next twenty minutes, I asked a few questions and patiently waited to see if Toby would tell me anything about what was happening in his life.

X
Copyright July 2021 Preston Wigglesworth All Rights are Reserved
  • Like 16
  • Love 15
  • Wow 1
  • Fingers Crossed 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Great chapter, Carson has been busy with mustering and now a bit of counseling for an 8 year old boy for Jillian who is busy with Toby’s mom Pipa. 
 

Merry Christmas, hope you have a wonderful holiday with family and friends if possible.

  • Like 2
  • Love 2
Link to comment

Oh boy....will Caron be going to Western Australia with this latest development?

A few moments later, Jillian returned, knocking on the door first, as she led the young women, who was covered in bruises and a shy boy who was hiding behind her. “Hello, I am Carson Newton, I am a Counsellor,” I said as I held out my hand, and when she didn’t shake, I dropped my hand. 

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment

With this latest development of Carson counselling Toby, an 8 year old. I don't think he'll be going to Western Australia.

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Fingers Crossed 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..