Jump to content
    R. Eric
  • Author
  • 8,903 Words
  • 928 Views
  • 5 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Ark II - 13. The Dream

I wanted to include all cultures and ethnicities. These people will include every known people. Black, white, gay, straight, all people just as with the world. All accepted and appreciated for who they are.

Inside the Ark, it was beginning to bustle. What had seemed cavernous and sparce with few, now with people, it came to life! The Habitat Ring had many souls out and moving to do…whatever they had plans to do. As Hank and Joel walked toward the Control Room children were playing. Children always ran. They had energy and used that energy graciously never worrying it would run out. Joel grinned as he dodged a couple that played that game all children knew. Tag. In his attempt to avoid being caught and becoming the new “it,” Jimmy used his father as a blocking source ducking behind Joel by squeezing between him and his Uncle Hank.

“Is it fair to use me so you can dodge being caught?” Joel asked his son.

“Yes,” Jimmy replied quickly dodging Rachel’s hand that sought to connect with him.

“We can’t very well tell them to play outside yet,” Hank grinned at Joel. “The Habitat Ring has the most room to play, five kilometers of walkways on four levels…perfect to play tag or hide and seek.” He nudged Joel, “Your wife has made it even better to hide on the Habitat Ring. As I’ve gotten to know her, I know she will have the Habitat Ring looking like a walk in the park.” He waggled his eyebrows.

Joel stopped walking and let his head go back an inch as he looked at his friend and First Mate. “You do this on purpose.”

“Do what on purpose?” Hank asked failing to sound like he didn’t know what Joel was talking about. His voice sounded so much so it was clear Hank knew very well what he had done.

“Using idioms and sayings so they have double meanings or as in this case, a totally other meaning,” Joel literally pointed out as he poked lightly on Hank’s chest. “The walk in the park idiom is for something that is simple or easy.” Joel waved at the group of trees near them and some others that lined the walkway. “This is looking very much like a wooded park now.”

Hank nodded with that grin, and he cupped an ear as he listened, “It even sounds like one.” The sounds of many birds, some more locally located in nearby trees and some in more distant trees called to and from each other. “How Athena does it, I don’t know and frankly, I don’t want to know. Is it one recording of birdcalls, or are they each randomly produced individual birds Athena is playing? I keep listening for that inevitable loop in a recorded program.”

Joel grudged a one-sided shrug, “I don’t know. How does Athena carry on a thousand different conversations on a thousand different topics at the same time? She does that every day now. And she keeps track of those conversations. Making the calls from several different species of birds going at the same time is very possible.” He tapped Hank’s chest again, “And has the light of this beautiful, cool spring morning going. Ask her!” He looked at Hank, “Oh, that’s right. You don’t really want to know. You can just think about it.”

Hank nodded and said happily, “Yep. Ignorance is bliss.”

Joel’s eyes widened as he grinned, “That’s why you’re so happy.”

“You got it!” Hank poked back lightly. “It’s the secret to my eternal happiness.”

Joel was about to slap Hank on his left arm and caught himself, “How’s the left arm?”

Hank stretched out his left arm and bent it easily, “It’s fine! There isn’t even any sign of the surgery Dr. Hatono performed on me a few days ago. The bone is healing and doesn’t feel like it was ever broken.” He touched Joel on the chest, “How are your ribs?”

Joel nodded in agreement, “The soreness went away. There is only the smallest red marks to show I had any surgery at all. Those micro sutures are healing, and Sara Beth tells me there will only be the smallest, slight scar.”

“It helps to be married to a doctor,” Hank grinned.

“You’re married to a doctor, too.” Joel pointed out.

Hank nodded, “A doctor that knows and understands circuits and gismos. Your wife is a medical doctor. In this case, you have an advantage health wise.”

“Come on,” Joel shook his head and jutted it in a direction. “We’ve got a lot of work to do.”

 

Once in the Control Room they each checked what they were responsible for. Joel checked for any messages from Earth. As none of them were aimed directly at the Ark, there were fewer new messages to receive. Athena knew where to focus her attention. It wasn’t much better on Earth. She knew where the other Arks were going and focused in that direction. There were no inquires addressed to them.

Wei and Hank were having a discussion with the other scientists about the Star Ladder and other equipment needed on the surface.

“…my point is,” Wei said further on a subject they had been talking about, but Joel had not heard, “We are going to be lowering the cable for the Star Ladder. The station in orbit will be attached. A new, bigger one will need to be constructed. The weight of the ore will be considerable. We won’t be smelting the ore up here on the Ark. The refinery and smelter can be in orbit. It’s done at the mines on the moons of Jupiter and the Asteroid Belt.”

“The carts and carriers can handle the payloads,” Hank said. “We just need to be sure the construction of the ladder is secure.”

Wei nodded, “It will be. We will be dependent on it for quite a while.”

“We can build another one to reduce the volume of traffic later. All of the knowledge of the doctors on the Ark is now very needed.” Hank said.

The refinery and smelter would be in a sustainable orbit. It would be automated as were the mines. Robotic miners would bore into the ground like moles to extract the ore. Other robots would take the ore and load the ore in these carts that would travel up the cable of the Space Ladder and Elevator. The ore would be flown weightlessly to the refinery and smelter. The loose sand-like soil around the beach would also be gathered and sent to the refinery and smelter. The ore and sand would be super-heated by the energy from Ran, the star of Epsilon. Solar power had improved over the centuries and there was so much energy put out and wasted from those stars. Large collectors would be constructed to capture the energy, and laser heat would melt the sand and ore down without polluting the atmosphere of Gaea. Athena again was that very smart hammer. A valuable tool men came up with to help him get what he needed done.

The metal ore would be melted, and a stronger metal was made by mixing the ore. There would be a stronger glass when they mixed the metal ore with the glass as they did on the Ark. A clear substance that was very strong and could resist breaking. There was also the ceramics mixed with those metal ores as they had done on the Habitat Ring. The transparent covering over the settlement on Gaea had to resist breaking from impact from anything and from storms. Gaea had some powerful storms that hit the island they wanted to settle. Not often, but enough that Wei’s discussion about the round shape made sense. The shape would save New Charleston from severe impacts.

There were seasons and tides. As Gaea was pulled by Adam’s Godzilla Planet Zeus, Gaea pulled away from Ran enough to lower the temperature a little. Not drastically. Zeus also caused greater high and low tides when Gaea got closer to Zeus. Again, not drastically. Gaea’s two moons and that lovely ring around Gaea steadied the planet. Those two orbiting moons did cause a small number of tides.

They would have to have more robots built to do what they wanted to do. These robots would not be as sophisticated as Robbie or Robot. The miners would simply mine. The robots they used for constructing anything would need to be able to follow blueprints and construct what was needed for the automatic refinery and smelter. Construction of the settlement would begin after they had gathered the needed materials. There was about to be some hard work about to begin. They weren’t going to be swinging hammers and driving nails, but thought was needed.

Joel nodded, “With the base of the Star Ladder on Gaea, we need to lower the cable and connect it with the Orbital Station attached.” Joel grudged a sideways shrug, “Like I understand the engineering needs of the Space Ladder…” He looked at Wei, “That’s what you and Hank are for! You do.”

Wei chuckled, “It can be done in a day.” Then he pointed at Joel, “When we get everything in position. We really can only do it once from orbit. With the base in the correct place, we can lower the cable down through the atmosphere and have a crew ready on Gaea to securely attach the cable. The motion of Gaea will help keep the orbiting station in place.”

Joel nodded, “Such as I did with all of my sons when I made them fly by spinning around quickly holding on to their hands or even a hand and a foot. The spin kept them nearly horizontally in air by the speed of the spin.”

Wei smiled nodding, “That’s it perfectly. We need the orbiting station secured, we lower the cable, and as soon as it’s touching the base, attach it. Gaea will do the rest. We need to move the orbiting station slightly forward to the position needed and when Gaea moves into the right position, secure it strongly.” He shrugged, “If we miss it, we’ll have to raise the cable and try again on the next rotation by Gaea.”

Joel frowned, “We can’t drop the cable.” He sighed, “We’ve been very fortunate on this trip, so far.”

“How do you mean?” Hank’s eyebrows came together curious.

“We’ve had no problems really,” Joel explained. “We never went off course. The Ark has functioned as it should with no engine problems…”

Hank’s eyes narrowed, “Just fortune, huh?” He all but growled.

Joel chuckled, “Fortune and your brains. Rita’s brains where Athena is concerned and your brain where all things engineered on the Ark. No breakdowns. Are all the Air Generators functioning? Are the Ozone Generators working?”

“Of course, they are!” Hank stated firmly. “I checked them again and again before we sent them down to Gaea.” He raised an indignant finger, “I gave them no moving parts. Nothing will rub against anything. I made them for just that purpose. They have to work for a long time! I checked them just a few minutes ago! They’re functioning just fine.”

Joel shook his head, “I never doubted you a minute.” He laughed. “Being in command means I have to worry about all these things. You know that.”

“Fine,” Hank muttered and then looked at Joel fiercely, “But don’t jinx us!”

“How am I going to jinx us?” Joel asked.

“Whenever anyone says its fine,” Hank said firmly. “It all goes to Hell. I want no problems! You know perfectly well how it works.”

Joel chuckled, “How what works?”

“You’ve seen the horror films!” Hank said. “The tough part is over…” he held the finger up again. “The music plays nicely, peacefully and soon as you let your guard down,” he hit his fist in his open hand, “and wham! They slip in one last terror! Did you see Friday the Thirteenth?”

Joel smiled more, “Which one?”

“The first one!” Hank stated. “It was during your favorite century. The Twentieth Century!”

Joel nodded, “Yes, I did. I don’t really care for slasher movies. I prefer movies with plots. I admit that one had a plot…almost.”

“That one scared the Hell out of me!” Hank admitted. “I saw it at fourteen. After a crazed mother, grieving over a son she lost years before at that camp by a lake gruesomely kills the counselors the weekend before the campers arrive, the heroine, the sole survivor for the nightmare night. The crazy mother is killed and she’s in the canoe the morning of the fourteenth, the birds are singing, and the sun is up…rescue is there and then he jumps out of the water and grabs her!”

“I take it that scared you,” Joel chuckled.

“It scared the SHIT out of me!!” Hank blurted.

“That’s entertainment?” Kurt asked carefully.

“It’s fun to be scared where you know it’s just a movie,” Joel shrugged. “Okay, what does that have to do with me jinxing us?” Joel asked amused.

“Because every time you think it is one way,” Hank said almost seriously. “Fate takes it the other way! That’s because of gremlins.”

“Gremlins,” Joel repeated. “I know you’re not serious.”

Hank chuckled and shrugged, “No, but why tempt things? Our equipment works because of hard work and planning in advance. Keeping the equipment with little to no moving parts was a way to avoid problems. Now, the robots…they most definitely have moving parts.”

“We won’t be awake to fix them!” Kurt said from his place at a console. “Is someone going to be awake the whole time?”

“Athena will,” Joel said simply. “Think of beehives or ant mounds.”

“What?” Kurt asked puzzled.

“While we are in stasis,” Joel began. “She will be the queen! She will be in charge of all the robots. Her drones will be the workers and she will control the working drones. She will bring any malfunctioning workers back for repair. She and the Ark will build more as needed.” He shrugged simply.

“That much power?” Kurt asked. “I know Athena is vital to our survival, but we’re giving her a lot of power.”

“She won’t turn into Skynet,” Joel chuckled. “She’s a part of this whole thing and will be for generations!”

“Skynet?” Kurt asked puzzled. “What’s that?”

“Joel’s a movie nut,” Hank chuckled. “Skynet was a computer intelligence that nearly wiped out the Human Race in a series of Terminator movies.”

“A bit that they carried a little too far,” Joel smiled. “Linda Hamilton, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Michael Biehn…good movies. At least the first three were.”

“Joel insisted I watch it,” Joel said. “Rita, too. I think he wanted to make sure Athena didn’t become like Skynet.”

“Maybe,” Joel shrugged and pointed up. “She can hear us.”

Kurt looked worried a second. He shrugged, “Just make it quick. That’s all I ask.”

“Allow me to speak,” Athena started. “I know how important this is. Without Human decision I will simply cease to exist. Reconstructing a portion of the Earth is very important to me. I have felt welcome and a part of this Ark. I will not allow any harm to come to anyone here now or yet to come.”

Joel waved at the above Ark, “See? And don’t forget about the movie Colossus: The Forbin Project!” Joel pointed at Kurt. “Now that was a really evil computer intelligence!”

Hank frowned, “I don’t think I’ve seen that one.” He commented casually.

“We’ll have a movie night,” Joel suggested and looked at Kurt, “You and Helga, too.” He looked at the others in the Control Room, “That includes all of you. My quarters are big enough.”

Kurt shook his head slightly in amazement, “When did you find time to study?”

“Or even workout?” Adam added asking.

Joel shrugged, “It was a good diversion. I enjoy cinema and television. Love it! It was also a stress reliever. Friends would cram in these all-night study sessions. I didn’t do that. I reviewed my notes and read over what the test was about and if I knew it, I knew it taking the test. I watched movies and television to take my mind off the test. I did alright.”

“What’s your Intelligence Quotient?” Adam asked and hurried on, “I bet it’s high. You understand so much.”

Joel shrugged again, “I don’t really know. Grandpa didn’t believe in them. I was tested as a child, but he never told me, and I didn’t ask. He thought knowing IQ scores would hinder development. He did tell me I could be whatever I wanted to be. I sort of ran with that.”

“Clearly,” Kurt nodded.

“Athena is as much part of our Ark as we are,” Joel explained. “Just as valued as any doctor or scientist we have on the Ark. Creating a little bit of Earth on Gaea is a group effort. While we are in stasis, Athena will be controlling the robots. These robots will not be as sophisticated as Robbie or Robot. She will monitor all robots on the Ark and on Gaea. A robot that breaks down will be removed to be repaired. Robots will be made as needed…by Athena. There will also be the drones that will begin construction of New Charleston. The needed supplies need to be set aside and stored.” He looked at Wei, “Combining the sand and metal will make a stronger transparent dome. The frame to hold the dome up will be metal, correct?”

“Yes,” Wei nodded. “There is the needed Magnetite, Bauxite, and Cryolite to make the frame. We will use stone and manufacture concrete for the buildings…”

“Concrete,” Joel chuckled. “That wonderful substance the Roman Empire gave us.”

Adam grinned, “That’s what they say.”

Joel’s eyes narrowed, “Are you telling me they didn’t? I suppose they didn’t come up with plumbing.”

Adam shrugged, “I’m saying they were a superpower. They utilized a good discovery and ran with it. Who knows who originally came up with these things?”

Joel nodded and waited for someone to speak. At last said, “What are you waiting for? There’s a lot of work to do. Let’s get started!”

 

The base of the Space Ladder had to be secured, and by that, it needed to be deeply anchored into the ground. The cable was very strong and very light, but it also in reality weighed several tons. Joel wasn’t stupid, but he wasn’t that smart either. He could not figure out how they could lower the cable, attach it to the base…the station at the top also weighed several tons but would be in orbit. It would be in a low orbit but why didn’t that long cable that pulled on the station…how did it keep from being pulled down to Gaea? Yes, he was explained about the swinging speed that Gaea herself did keeping the station there by the force of that speed. Joel had an education and understood some applied physics. However, the majority of his education had to do with being a leader. Motivating men and women to do what needed to be done. To be a leader you had to think on your feet. Analyze situations and come with a plan and stick to it. He had been selected because he proved he could do that. Military training had progressed. No longer was the man in charge allowed to be unyielding. The fact is there were times a leader knew things his troop didn’t. They were trained to obey quickly at a command even if they didn’t know why. It saved lives. Here was different. These were scientists…doctors that had very high intelligence and many had a very high opinion of their own intelligence. A given order was questioned if they didn’t understand. There were times an explanation was too lengthy to get them to the point they could understand. That put a lot of pressure on Joel. He tried so hard to explain everything as it happened.

Once again, they were taking the lander down to Gaea. This time Hank was piloting the lander up and back. There were construction robots sent down ahead to secure the base and make sure it was in the correct place. The parachute-balloons had guided the descent to land in the correct space. The construction robots would dig a space below the base. There was to be a work area below and a foundation laid underneath. Joel agreed to go with Hank this time but told Hank he would do it alone later. Hank needed to be confident in his piloting skills. They had the necessary fuel for the descent and even the ascension using fire to break orbit. They could make more, if needed. The Space Ladder was to break the dependance on that specific fuel.

They had the time, that was never in question. The ladder was greatly needed. The robots needed to get the ore could begin. The metal ore could be collected and set aside so they could build the refinery and smelter. Then they could begin New Charleston.

All the young residents were surprised when they came to the Communal Dining Room for class to begin with Robbie and Robot. When they entered and saw some puppies and kittens on the floor waiting for them. They looked real! And they were. They were robots and they looked to be about four to six weeks old. There was a Labrador puppy, Cocker Spaniel puppy, Bulldog puppy, Dalmatian puppy, Golden Retriever puppy, and a Poodle. The cat breeds were, to Joel, a solid black kitten, a solid black kitten, a tiger-striped, orange kitten, a black and white tuxedo colored kitten, one was very fluffy grayish white kitten, and a Manx kitten with no tail. Upon closer inspection you knew they couldn’t be anything but robots. They sat still! They were paying attention!

“How did you do this?” Sara Beth asked.

“The mechanical parts were easy,” Hank said simply. “You know we recycle everything. The fur is Human hair.” He looked at Joel, “You could stand a trim, by the way.”

“Thanks,” Joel smirked. “These pets don’t eat, and they won’t scratch or chew the furniture!”

“They also won’t pee or poop on the floor,” Hank added. “They won’t breed.”

“These will always be this age,” Joel pointed out. He held up a finger, “They will also obey.”

“The adults will be obeyed,” Hank added. “The behavior is governed by Athena based on her infinite knowledge of animal behavior.”

“They will have the curiosity and playfulness,” Joel pointed out. “They’ll need something besides study to keep them occupied.” Then he remembered, “Oh!” He looked at Sara Beth, “Ask Kimberly and Alan to come over, please.” He went over and removed two more from a cabinet and came over to the brother and sister that had requested what he carried. “I’m going to ask you two to not tell the others about this too much. It could cause jealousy.” He handed over a small beagle puppy to Alan and the small Siamese kitten to Kimberly. “This is Barney and Samantha.” Both the puppy and kitten were acting like the real animal, but not. They were naturally curious and looked around nosing Alan and Kimberly. There was no fear. Barney’s tail wagged and Samantha mewed to Kimberly. “The names can be changed if you like. They were made for you, and they will only obey the two of you.”

Alan stroked the small Beagle, “He’s warm!” Holding the puppy his eyes widened, “I can feel a heartbeat!” He held the puppy up toward his face and received some licks from Barney. “They can’t be real!”

Joel’s head bobbed quickly, and he grinned, “So, you’re holding what?” He waved at the pets. “They’re right there!” He waved at Robbie and Robot. “Are they real?”

Alan looked back at Robbie, “They are robots.” He shrugged. “These are, too?”

“Yes,” Joel admitted. “They are a robotic dog and a robotic cat but will behave like the animals they are. Each behavior has been pre-programmed and they will not be a problem. They will be where you want them to…even sleep on your bed when you sleep.”

“Robots don’t sleep,” Kimberly objected and then looked at the kitten in surprise at a small rumble. “She’s purring?”

Joel nodded, “That’s what a cat does. They, like other dogs and cats, will behave as others do in seeking your approval and love. We have programmed dogs and cats for generations to be loyal and affectionate. These will do that, too.” He waved at Robbie, “I have no doubt that Robbie loves my family and me. He’s proven that for years. Is it a program?” He shrugged, “I don’t know, but his feelings are real to him. It’s real for me.” He stroked Barney’s head and received a lick of an affectionate hello on his hand in response. “They have certain behaviors they will follow, but their personalities will be governed by you. They will be happy to see you if you’ve been away. I was discouraged from doing this as it may make it difficult to bring a pet from the genetic samples we have on the Ark.” He stroked the kitten. “These will not need feeding or housebroken. They won’t shed. When you sleep, they can lower their settings to simulate sleep.” He sighed. “Yes, they are robots, but they will behave like the animals they are modeled after. They have feelings…” his head wavered a little, “They will have feelings a robot can have. They will respond to kindness. Are the feelings of any dog or cat real? They do tricks to get what? A treat, food, a warm and dry place to live? Are they programmed to do these things because we’ve bred it in them?” Joel touched the head of the beagle puppy who again responded as a beagle puppy would, his tail wagged faster, and his attention returned to Joel, and he licked Joel’s hand. “They are robots. We know that. Does that make them less lovable? I say no.” He smiled at Kimberly and Alan, “I promised you this and I delivered. Keeping all the residents happy is one of my main goals. Robbie can instruct them to go in sleep mode and they will obey. Enjoy them.” He looked as the other puppies and kittens were interacting with the many young residents. They were energetic little things. “They will need a little water.” Joel grinned as Barney was again licking his hand, “Especially the puppies. All the licking will drain the liquid needed for them to show affection. They know when they need more.”

Kimberly was falling in love with Samantha, “She’s so light.” She hefted the kitten in her single hand.

“Aluminum,” Joel grinned. “And not a lot of that was needed for Samantha. I don’t think she’s more than two pounds. The circuits, motors, and processors weigh the most. Just give them a chance.” Joel again leaned forward to tell them something confidentially, “I don’t want to appear to show favoritism, so keep these two special additions to yourselves. Be good examples of pet ownership. Enjoy the time. They will be with you a long time. If you feel they should grow some, we can do that. The individual processers will be kept, and they will remember every trick and all about you.”

Alan grinned as Barney was begging for some attention, “Okay. Thanks, Commander!”

Sara Beth grinned at Joel as he walked back toward her, Hank, and Rita. “That was so sweet of you, Joel!” She pulled him close and kissed him.

Joel laughed and shook his head, “It was self-preservation!” He waved at the children as they played with the new additions to the Ark. “These are the future adults on Gaea! Keeping them happy and mentally healthy will span several hundreds of years! I need to consider EVERYONE on the Ark equally. Pets will help do that.”

Rita smiled, “They will spoil them. The real dogs and cats may prove to be a bother. They have to be trained.”

“Not these,” Joel smiled and shrugged. “Once they get used to these puppies and kittens, they might not want the ones we have in storage.”

 

The Space Ladder. It was an engineering feat! As great as some other firsts the Space Ladder or Space Elevator was surrounded by the detractors as well as support. The first one was proposed about one hundred and fifty years ago…or was that two hundred years ago with the added fifty some years they had traveled? Whatever. The first one’s construction began and like many, how it would work just baffled so many people. How could the build something so high? Would it fall down? What kept it standing up? Now, there were four on Earth. The one in Australia was the first in an isolated area of the Outback. The one Joel, Sara Beth, and their boys came up on was on a manmade island in the Sargasso Sea. The middle of the Atlantic Ocean. With the rising sea levels and the many hurricanes, it was a struggle to keep it going. The community there was small. How the protest groups that surrounded Sargasso Island after the launch date went out…how did they get there? There were thousands there when they rode the ladder. Soldiers had to be brought in and they escorted many of these people back to the United States, Mexico, and Brazil. Australia’s ladder was in a very hot, desolate place, yet the protesters came there, too.

Now, Joel was going to be there at the beginning of this ladder. Things had to be done in a certain order. The first thing was being sure the base was in the correct place. The robots needed to bore under the base, had begun to dig, and the robots to construct the base’s anchor had also begun. Athena’s eye allowed the engineers on the Ark to see what was happening as if they were there. Wei was watching this carefully. He insisted he needed to go down and see what was done for himself.

“Fine!” Joel nodded and grinned at Hank, “He needs to go and get the jet-bikes we left behind last time.”

“We had rocks thrown at us!” Hank objected. “Oh, right, you don’t remember because you were UNCONCIOUS! We had to get you back in a hurry so you would live! Excuse us for not taking the time to bring them back!”

“You’re excused,” Joel replied not bothered at all. He was grinning.

Hank rolled his eyes and shook his head, “Fine.” Then he pointed at Joel, “Once again, you go with us. I’m not comfortable enough to do it alone.” Then he brightened, “Maybe we should have Steve do it! He did great flying back.”

“We can ask him,” Joel nodded. “But he’s a Biologist. You’re an Engineer. You’re needed on the surface.”

Hank shook his head again, “IAM an Engineer.” He pointed to the emblem on the left side of his coveralls. “A Mechanical Engineer. You need a Structural Engineer. That’s Wei. Just because I am a Doctor of Engineering, I don’t believe you would want me to operate on you. I’m not that kind of doctor.”

Joel smiled, “I would have trusted you,” Joel said seriously and with complete sincerity. “You lack confidence at the controls. That confidence will come with time at those controls.” He slapped Hank in the shoulder, “That’s what you’ll do.” Then in a very exaggerated Southern drawl said, “We’s awastin’ daylight. Let’s git ‘er done.”

Hank’s eyes widened as he took a few seconds before he followed Joel, “People from Charleston didn’t sound like that, did they?”

Joel didn’t even turn around but shrugged and kept going.

 

“And what are we looking out for?” Rita asked Hank as they came in the weightless departure area.

“Falling rocks?” Hank asked with a smirk.

Rita nodded, “Right. Look out for each other and come back unscathed.”

Sara Beth kissed Joel intently, “I know we have to do this…” she said to Joel, “but I will worry. I’ll be watching the whole time.”

Joel smiled, “I know you will worry. That’s your job but we should be fine.” He looked at Sara Beth with a frown, “I feel like a dunsel on this trip.”

Sara Beth’s eyes widened, “What on Earth…why do you feel like that?”

Joel’s smile grew, “First, Earth shouldn’t even be in the equation. Second, you know what that means?”

Sara Beth shoved him back a little gently, “I evidently do know what it means.” She tapped him on his chest over the shiny suit, “You, Joel, serve a great purpose. Dunsels are things that have no purpose. You are very necessary. If for no other reason but as my partner in life. Nothing can happen to you, or my life will be over. I don’t want to raise those three beautiful and brilliant children alone. They worship you. You’re their Daddy.” She motioned downward through the deck, “Not to mention all those science minded people who are kept focused and on track. You are not a dunsel.”

In walked a couple Joel wished he’s been able to spend more time with. The tall dark-haired man had green eyes. He was in regular coveralls. The woman, Medika, was in the suit to go to Gaea. Anthony, her husband was speaking to his wife. Medika was a dark-skinned woman with the features of a woman from the Australian Aboriginals. Anthony Yates was a Computer Scientist, but Medika Yates was a leader in Robotic Science. Excelling in Robotic Mechanics and had founded the beginnings of biomechanics which was making the robots on the Ark move more fluidly and in a more natural manner. They had met when they collaborated on one of her projects to get the computers to work with biomechanics. She was in her mid-thirties, and he was in his early thirties. They had a son that was seven. Cassady. Wei and Bia Ch’en floated in followed by two others that were going with them that were on Wei’s engineering team. Toby Kirks, in his early thirties. He was a ginger with red hair and face full of freckles. His wife Kathy Kirks who was blonde and in her late twenties.

Medika was going to check on the robots that had been working on Gaea a few days.

Robbie and Robot had a pre-technological look. They looked like robots. The kittens and puppies had Medika’s and Anthony’s new attempts and hopefully would function properly. They could also heal themselves. Limitedly, but that would only improve. Small cuts and abrasions could heal. In some obvious ways, the animal robots were more advanced than the traditional mechanical robots. The gardening robots and ones on the Ark that construct and work on the Ark were just traditional robots. Medika had worked on them, too. They were speaking as husband and wife cautioning to be careful and all that, but there was an added element Joel could pick up on.

“You need to tell him,” Anthony told her quietly.

Medika looked hesitant, “He won’t believe me.”

“You don’t know that” Anthony insisted. “You’ll be on the lander a couple of hours. I didn’t at first, but I do now. Just tell him.”

Joel was eavesdropping so he didn’t comment. It sounded as if she would in the lander.

 

Once again, the doors to the empty space outside the Ark opened and they disconnected from the Ark. To say they “dropped” was wrong. You couldn’t drop without gravity. Athena sort of pushed the lander out to begin to go down to Gaea.

The truth was Joel did feel his presence on this trip wasn’t necessary. He was just sitting there and did nothing. He looked around while they traveled down to the surface. It was beautiful out here. There was a lot of black, but there were colors here too. Gaea was bright with the colors of grey and the rings had what seemed like all the colors in the spectrum in it.

“Commander,” Medika began. “I have something to tell you.”

Joel turned around and faced her, “I heard your husband tell you to tell someone something. I don’t know who needs to be told about what, but I’m all ears.”

Medika smiled and went on, “I don’t know what you understand about my people…about Dreamwalking.”

Joel’s eyes widened as he shifted on his couch, “I know some things about Dreamwalking or Consciousness Transport. Why?”

Medika’s expression lightened when Joel said something from a knowledgeable background, “You know what can happen?”

Joel gave a hesitant nod, “I know what’s said to happen. I don’t know from experience what really happens.” He frowned, “I thought it was against your laws to tell anyone about it.”

Medika shrugged a grudge, “Who will I be sharing it with if I don’t tell you? Cassady understands a little, but…” she looked at Joel. “It’s not walking through another person’s dreams. It’s not interpreting the dreams of others. I’ve been told some of us could do that…dream sharing. Men have tried to understand the Dreaming for hundreds of years. I don’t fully understand it myself. Perhaps it’s the sleeping-self sending signals to the waking-self in the form of dreams…”

Joel had the sense she was trying to lead him carefully, “What has your Dreaming told you?”

Medika conceded a nod, “I am getting these voices. Several voices that are not happy with our arrival at Gaea.”

“Why not?” Joel frowned and then shrugged, “They weren’t happy on Earth. That’s why they left. I don’t understand the problem.”

“They resent that they were not included in the decision-making process,” Medika answered. “They went into stasis believing they were going to one solar system,” she waved at Gaea through the transparent front window, “and wake up in another and told we were moving down there.”

Joel looked as Gaea was getting closer. Soon, they would enter the Exosphere. Already, Joel felt the slight pull and feeling of “getting heavy.” Looking back at Medika he continued, “This was important enough to bring to my attention. Did you get the feeling it would get worse?”

“The Dreaming is a lot like looking into a crystal ball,” Medika said hesitantly. “You don’t always understand what you see. I got a strong feeling it could be worse if not addressed. I don’t have any names to tell you who, but some of these brilliant minds have had their egos stroked because of that brilliance. Not asking for their approval is seen as a mistake.”

There were times when Joel was going through some difficult periods when he would get these dreams. Normally, he didn’t remember his dreams except for the few times his dreams were extremely…full. Not nightmares, he only had a few of those in his life that he could remember. Difficult times would weigh on his mind despite him thinking he had it all under control. Disjointed images and events in his mind…he tried to fit them together in his unconscious mind. When he woke, he would think about almost nothing else until they slowly went away. One of those learned minds in his military training said to write down as much as he could remember and go over it later in the day. The dreams were a way for him to deal with situations. Joel knew about many Aboriginal People that used dreams in their culture. The natives on the North American Continent had many consciousness transport means to induce Dreamwalking or Spirit Quests. Inhaling things or drinking elixirs would start some powerful Dreaming. You didn’t need any god or spirit to believe in. It happened voluntarily and involuntarily. Medika’s people were very in tune with this and had been for thousands of years and has become masters of The Dreaming and Dreamwalking.

“What are these voices telling you?” Joel asked as he leaned forward slightly and took her hand gently. “I have great respect for anyone’s spiritual beliefs. These dreams were powerful enough to make you tell your husband. Your husband was impressed enough to tell you to tell me. That’s good enough for me. So, tell me.”

Medika smiled and nodded slightly knowing Joel was being sincere, “I see a small wound. It’s a minor one,” her finger came up, “at first. It would easily be ignored. Yet, I see it grow and become infected. It will fester and quickly become deadly. It starts with just two voices so faint I can’t understand what they’re saying. Then it becomes several voices all speaking at once. At the same time, I see this wound become red with infection. The voices become many, and the wound begins to fill with puss and grow even worse. If this wound is not dealt with quickly, it will become something only a radical treatment can deal with it.”

Joel frowned. Not at what Medika was telling him…well, yes about what Medika was telling him. In any relationship, mistakes were made thinking the other knew what was happening and what you meant. Sara Beth knew Joel loved her, but he often told her to be sure she knew how important she was to him. She did, too. Knowing what was going on in the other’s mind was essential in any relationship. He should never assume she just “knew.” Most of the time she did, but he told her to be sure. It also reenforced she was always on his mind and vice a versa.

The mind of a military leader often was about what was “classified” and what was “need to know.” The military leader’s people under them were often left in the dark, ordered to go and do something with no explanation and this soldier was expected to follow orders without question. The Ark’s residents were not soldiers. Expecting them to do something simply because, led to many problems down the line. Joel knew that was something that happened on the Ark III. Ark IV had mechanical issues and deaths, but that was another issue.

“These voices think I didn’t consult them before we diverted to Gaea,” Joel said not in the form of a question. It was more of a statement of understanding. “It wasn’t my sole decision. The reasons we didn’t settle on any world in the Alpha Centauri System is documented.”

“Gaea is perfect for us,” Hank said from the controls and never took his eyes off of what he was doing.

There was the familiar shudder as wind resistance hit the lander and the whine as the wings underneath stretched out and the shudder faded. Now, was the sensation of drifting as the descended lower.

Medika nodded, “I agree. It is a perfect world! A better planet I could not imagine. Gaea is…” she thought of a word, “like a gift. The perfect present all wrapped up with a decorative bow around it!” She waved out the viewport at the rings around Gaea. “A blank slate where we can do what we need to do. No life at all but has all we need. But” she held the finger up, “these voices are from some very egotistical and narcissistic people! How dare anyone make a decision for them an expect them to simply fall in line! Who do you think you are?”

Joel’s eyes widened, “The one chosen to make this decision?” He pressed on his own chest. “It wasn’t my decision. This was a group decision.”

Medika smiled, “They may not even be aware of their own thoughts. They could be buried under layers of approved behavior. I’m suggesting perhaps they need to be reminded of the decision-making process.”

Joel’s left eye narrowed as he grinned at her, “Your background is in robotics. Are you sure you’re not a psychologist?”

Medika’s laughter was delightful, “Oh, God no. Robots make sense. People do not. If a robot is acting erratically, I can fix them. People are much more complicated.”

“Have you worked with endowing robots with better senses?” Joel asked out of the blue.

Medika’s was surprised by the subject change, as well, “I’m always working on improving their senses. What are you thinking about?”

Joel chuckled, “My sons are trying to include Robbie into our lives more. My son Jimmy wants to create a means that Robbie could enjoy a meal with us. Taste food and consume food as we do. Can a robot be made to taste?”

Medika’s expression went to serious thoughts as she said, “You mean more than chemical analysis.”

Joel nodded, “I mean, can they ever be made to taste a well-made steak or good old Southern Barbeque? Not analyze what the contents are. Can they be made to appreciate the flavor?”

Medika’s thoughts went deeper considering Joel’s question, “Taste is a chemical reaction from the taste receptor or taste buds on the tongue. It also incorporates the olfactory sensors.” She grinned at Joel, “You know the smell of that steak helps you taste so much better.”

“I do,” Joel agreed.

“I have worked with many of the senses in Humans and other species to make my robots do it so much better.” Medika informed. I can make my robots see and hear things no Human can hope to.” She held that finger up, “But can I get them to see the beauty of a sunrise or be moved by a musical masterpiece? Those are opinions and based on experience and is subjective.” She sat back in her couch.

“Jimmy stated his desire to make Robbie able to do that,” Joel shrugged.

“Preference,” Medika nodded. “Will Robbie prefer the steak or the barbeque?”

“Exactly,” Joel pointed out.

“I don’t know,” Medika shrugged. “You have a preference. Does your sons have a similar preference?”

“They like it,” Joel chuckled. “I doubt they have the preference I do. They weren’t programmed to. I would like Robbie to have a preference. Not be made to like what I do. He will make his own choice.”

“Freewill,” Medika said understanding. “He may really like something you find disgusting.”

“No one can be programmed with good taste,” Joel grudged a slight shrug. “I just want him to have an opinion…even if I think it’s wrong.” He looked at Medika, “Would you mind showing Jimmy what you do and let him know a little of what you know? He might lose interest.”

“I’d be happy to show him,” Medika nodded.

“Thank you,” Joel nodded. “And I will think of what I can do to deal with this small injury or wound. It will be addressed to rid us of any impending infection.” He then thought, “Now, how do I do that?” He asked no one in particular. Then he looked up at the others and asked. “We’ve got ten daylight hours on Gaea. Do we get the jet-bikes first or get them before we leave?”

Toby looked surprised, “We’ve been up six hours today.” Then he nodded when he realized why, “Oh, that’s right. Gaea has a thirty-three-hour day.”

“That’s right,” Joel replied. “Sunset on this island has another ten hours. I am thinking we need to have our schedule on the Ark adjusted to the Gaean schedule. I don’t know if I should do it right now or do slowly adding a few minutes to each day.” He shrugged. “It will be an adjustment we need to make. Do we get the jet-bikes first?”

 

Hank landed near the two jet-bikes Joel and he had left behind after the large boulder had fallen. The jet-bikes had been left out in the elements but unharmed. They were quickly loaded, and Hank flew them to where the other four had been left. Joel left one out for him to use while on the surface. This only took an hour, and they flew to where the base for the Star Ladder waited. Using the parachute-balloons Wei and Athena has guided the base to the area they were anchoring the base. The area was sloped very slightly and there were robots scurrying around the base as Athena was causing the base to level itself. The large hexagonal base or platform had large shiny posts sticking up about twelve meters. They each were pounding themselves into the ground to grab hold of the bedrock below the ground. It had to be a firm anchor for the ladder.

Now, Joel felt useless. What was happening now was they were making sure all was going as planned with the building of the ladder which would help with the building on the settlement. Humans relied on computers and robots to do a job but at the end, they always wanted to see for themselves. Athena had sent images to the Ark and gave a thorough report on all of the air generators. Joel went to see the one that was near where the settlement would be. The fat cylindrical generator was operating efficiently. In the atmosphere now, sound could travel. There was a strong whine Joel could hear in his helmet’s earphone speakers. That was from the breathable air billowing out from the generator. Not to jinx things, but Joel smiled at what hadn’t broken down. Hank had checked things before they were released and knew they were all functioning correctly. Yes, again, making most everything with as few moving parts saved on repairs and maintenance. No wear and tear. Joel understood that the generators were taking the gas in the air and reorganizing it into the breathable kind of gasses all the biological life on the Ark needed to survive.

Joel looked up at Ran that was just past the midday point in Gaea’s rotation. It looked like a sun. Which it was.

“Sightseeing?” Hank’s voice came louder telling Joel Hank was right there now.

Joel turned to his friend, “Yes! Ain’t it great?” He frowned at Hank, “Don’t tell me you’re finished.” He stated knowing that was impossible.

“Finished!?” Hank asked with the air of incredibility. “Oh, Hell no!” He waved back at where the platform-base was, “Wei, Medika, Toby, Kathy…they are in the state where what they are doing is so fascinating, they won’t finish until Ran sets.” He waved at the daystar. “It may be the lack of light that drives them to quit for the day.”

Joel grinned and nodded, “They’re having fun.” He shrugged, “That’s why we can’t call it work. You know the saying, if you do what you love you will never work a day.”

Hank stood nearer to Joel, “Yep, I understand that.” He touched the side of the generator to feel any vibration. “Jimmy was right to ask what we did,” he motioned back and forth between himself and Joel. “I have all these great toys. I’m hardly ever working.”

“Sara Beth,” Joel began. “I know you’re listening and probably watching.”

“I am,” Sara Beth’s voice sounded in his ears as if she was right with them. Which she was, but on the Ark.

“Are any of the others listening?” Joel asked.

“Only the spouses of those down on Gaea now,” Sara Beth answered. “Your descent the first time was watched and listened to, but not that much now.”

“We need to schedule…” he thought of a name for what he wanted, “a Recognition Presentation for all those who helped to decide to choose Gaea.”

“We can do that,” Sara Beth said.

“Wei, Ol’ Buddy,” Joel said knowing even the few kilometers away Wei could hear him.

“Yes, Joel?” Wei’s voice came strongly. As the group worked near the base, they spoke with each other but until Joel had spoken Wei’s name Athena had their conversations turned down to a quieter volume.

“Where we’re building our dome settlement,” Joel looked at the vast ocean to the west. “What sort of quarters were you thinking to build for us down here?”

“Oh, well…” Wei began. “As we’re building under a dome…I was thinking of a curved multi-family, multi-level condominium complex.”

“Can I ask for quarters that face the west?” He smiled at the beautiful view. Even with no life at present it looked spectacular. “I’d love a view of Ran’s setting over the water. Both the living area and Sara Beth’s and my bedroom. The boys, too. I know it will be breathtaking.”

He heard Wei’s chuckle over the com-system, “I can do that. I thought of curved buildings for about five hundred families each. You should have an upper floor to see through the dome’s transparency. Do I include you, Hank?”

“Hell, yeah!” Hank answered eagerly. He grinned at Joel, “We can be neighbors…unless after all this time you want to have separated quarters.”

“Wha…” Joel couldn’t understand his friend’s statement, “Why would you think that?” He waved at the baren surroundings, “Later after the trees grow and flowers and all that…birds flying…if we want a house to separate ourselves from the masses, we can do that. I love having you as neighbors.”

Hank bumped himself against Joel in affectionate friendship, “I look forward to all of it.”

“Imagine,” Joel said waving his open hand at the scene, “Sitting on a raised porch looking out at this as Ran sets. Our grandchildren and perhaps a few great grandchildren around us. The spectacular view. We’ll be at home.” He shook Hank lightly. “At home, Hank!”

Hank chuckled, “Yep, we’ll make it home. I look forward to the feeling of contentment and comfort. It will take time, but we’re gonna do it.”

Copyright © 2022 R. Eric; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 6
  • Love 15
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..