Jump to content
    R. Eric
  • Author
  • 8,120 Words
  • 1,098 Views
  • 8 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Ark II - 4. Learning Lessons

The residents out of stasis on the Ark enjoy life. Something not easily done on Earth. Great minds need to help to decide the next step. Have these Humans learned the lessons needed to survive? Will the same mistakes be repeated?

“You were right,” Sara Beth smiled as she slid Ian’s door closed…not quite shut.

Joel cocked his head slightly, “I’m sorry.” He held his hand behind his ear, cupping it to catch more sound, “I didn’t quite get that.”

Sara Beth turned and swatted Joel’s shoulder lightly, “I said you were right.” She looked at Joel knowing what he was doing and smirked at him. “You’ve been right before…occasionally.”

Joel frowned, “Aw, and you started off so well.” He and Sara Beth wandered toward their room. “I was happy for a few seconds…”

Sara Beth stopped him putting her arms around his neck, “Babe, I will build you up as often as you need. I know your ego doesn’t need stroking. I won’t do that when you don’t need it. I encourage when you’re down.” She looked him in the eyes. “You are a brilliant man. You are leader of some very potentially egotistical people who are convinced they are right…you convince them to back down.” She smiled at him, “Jimmy asked about your lack of a doctorate degree…you’re in charge of all those people who do.” She grinned. “You were right about Robbie.”

Joel smiled back, “Okay. Why?”

“I didn’t see the value of Robbie,” Sara Beth confessed. “Clearly, our sons love him. Tonight, I could see Robbie really loves our sons. He cares about them.”

Joel nodded, “He does. He doesn’t just obey programming, but over the years he learned how to act and learned to convince me he cared.”

“He loves you!” Sara Beth told him.

“He loves you,” Joel protested.

“Yes,” Sara Beth agreed. “In his way…he adores you. His title Dad Joel was before he called me Mom Sara Beth. Kevin, Jimmy, and Ian he adores because you are their father.”

“He loves Ian more than any of us,” Joel said with a grin. “I’d almost be jealous, but it thrills me he does.” Joel looked puzzled. “I wonder why.”

She looked hesitantly at Joel, “He’s a very special child.” She went on quickly, “He’s very sensitive. I love all my children. You know that, but Ian’s extremely sensitive.”

Joel scowled at Sara Beth, “I know he is. He thinks of others more than he thinks of himself. What’s the problem?”

“He looks up to you,” Sara Beth added, “All of your sons do, but you heard Robbie. He wanted to be like you. He was worried his math skills wouldn’t be as good. Robbie told him yours weren’t that good either…”

Joel scowled more and pushed away from Sara Beth a little more, “I can add, subtract, multiply, and divide…it’s those other things that get me.” He frowned. “Knowing our speed, where we are, and our heading…”

“You do fine with all that,” Sara Beth chuckled. “Athena helps you know the other things. We named Ian after your grandfather. We named Jimmy after my father. Kevin is really Joel after you. Joel Kevin Nesmith.” She again looked hesitantly at Joel. “However, Ian is…much more sensitive. You don’t think he needs to…toughen up? That we need to teach him to be a man?”

Joel’s eyes widened, “What!?”

Sara Beth nodded, “Even today, many men fear that their sons could grow up to be sissies…”

“Sissies!?” Joel repeated angrily and waved toward Ian’s door, “He’s five-years-old! He’s not a sissy!” He looked at Sara Beth. “Are you worried he might be homosexual?”

Sara Beth shook her head, “No, of course, not.” She patted his chest, “I worried you might think he could be.”

Joel let her go and stood away from her, “Because I’m too much of a man? I couldn’t have a gay son?”

“Every man has an idea of what his son will be,” Sara Beth said again hesitantly. “You are a man, but hopefully you understand Ian may not be able to be the kind of man you expect.”

“The only thing I expect from any of my sons is that they be honest and value life,” Joel defended and began pointing in the direction of his sons rooms, “That they have those values I show them and we teach them. Kevin has a very analytical mind. I think he will be a great lawyer or enforcement officer. Jimmy has a very smart mind…I can see him working in some science field, possibly robotics. Ian…I see he could become a great artist. I don’t give a fuck, yes I cursed…I don’t give a fuck who he fucks!!” Joel held his fists up shaking them to indicate the strength of his conviction. “I want him to value whoever he chooses! I want whoever he chooses to value him!” He pointed at Ian’s door. “He could be homosexual, heterosexual, bi-sexual, pan-sexual, transsexual, transgender…I won’t give a damn! I want my sons to be healthy, happy, and safe. To find love with someone. Male or female, I won’t care! I had a military instructor in Officer Candidacy School who was the biggest, toughest son of a bitch who was homosexual.” He grudged a nod, “Granted, he married three men over the years, but…” he went on. “Another professor everyone thought was homosexual turns out to be the biggest, horniest sex maniac, preying on woman after woman…he never married anyone! Ian could tell us he’s really a girl…”

Sara Beth smiled at Joel closing the space between them and kissing Joel to stop his rant, “I had to be sure.” She grinned. “A man’s pride is so delicate. Its fine if it happens in other families, but not their own.”

“Because I’m such a primitive caveman?” Joel asked.

“Nooo,” Sara Beth reassured unconvincingly. “Not you.”

Joel pounded his fists on his chest, “Me not understand.” He said gruffly in a lower tone.

“The chest pounding,” Sara Beth began, “Isn’t that Tarzan?”

“Ooh,” Joel grinned. “Some other great movies and shows with Elmo Lincoln in 1912, Frank Merrill in 1928, Johnny Weissmuller in 1932…”

Sara Beth chuckled and kissed him again, “You know them all. I get it…”

“Well, there were many who played Tarzan!” Joel defended again. “Tarzan was more evolved than many people were then.”

“I never saw all of them,” Sara Beth said with a chuckle and then looked off a second, “Where were we?” Then she brightened, “Oh, right, Robbie! You derailed my train of thought. Robbie is a great idea. He can now truly protect them all. He seems to want to protect Ian more.” She held up her hand to Joel. “He protected Kevin and Jimmy, I know, but he knows Ian was more frightened being alone than his brothers and stays with him to let him know he isn’t alone.” She shook her head, “And a sense of humor! Was he programmed that way?”

Joel grinned, “Nope, he did that after spending a few years with grandpa and me!”

“I see,” Sara nodded. “But his style is kind of unique.”

“He learns with each Nesmith,” Joel shrugged. “His current style has been shaped by Kevin, Jimmy, and Ian! Mostly Ian. Robbie knows what works.”

“He’ll be great with Chloe,” Sara Beth smiled a little maliciously.

“Robbie won’t be offended by her,” Joel said. “Or manipulated by her. He’ll know what Hank and Rita have as parenting rules and won’t let her by with anything.”

“She’s getting to be a teenager,” Sara Beth said simply. “She knows better than her parents or any adult even if she really doesn’t. Ian was scared to be alone, but he was never scared about coming here to the Ark. He trusts you and I to keep him safe. He knows we would not have hurt him.”

“And we won’t,” Joel nodded. “What he is, he is now. What that is we won’t see clearly for a few more years.” He looked up. “Athena, can you keep track of the length of time Kevin, Jimmy, and Ian are up?”

“I can, Commander,” Athena replied.

Sara Beth looked confused, “Okay, why?”

“We left Earth on Tuesday, January third,” Joel thought out loud. “We’ve been up a few times and our boys have been up four days’ worth, making it Friday for them.”

“Okay,” Sara Beth nodded. “So?”

“Kevin’s birthday is March the sixteenth,” Joel reasoned. “We came out of our stasis a year from then and will not again for five years. We’ll go into stasis again for ten more years and we’ll wake the Planetary Geologists, Seismologists, Stellar Scientists…all the eggheads that can help determine our projected target. We accept or move on. That may take a while longer,” Joel explained. “While we’re up, they will be up. That’s…” He thought.

“Seventy-two days,” Sara Beth nodded understanding more.

“Show off,” Joel grumbled.

“Hey,” Sara Beth chuckled. “You have the ability to remember movies, who’s in them, and when they came out!” She pointed out. “I’m good with numbers.” She shrugged. “We all have our strengths.”

“You don’t have to flex your numbers muscles,” Joel growled. “Anyway, if we’re up seventy-two days, he should have a birthday party!”

“Sure,” Sara Beth laughed. “We have his birthday presents here.”

“Let’s turn in,” Joel suggested with a slight leer in his smile. “Adults need sleep, too.”

“Yes,” Sara Beth led him as she walked backward down the hall. “We need sleep, so turning in is what we need to do. Very wise of you, Commander.”

 

When Sara Beth woke, she started to get up.

“Where are you going?” Joel asked her with his voice a little muffled by the pillow he was hugging.

“You have three hungry sons?” She reminded Joel. “Remember?”

Joel huffed and then rolled out of bed, “Yes, I remember.” He scratched the back of his head. Sara Beth didn’t care, but no one should come to the table without a shirt and never in their underwear. Joel kept his pajama bottoms on and put on the shirt that went with it. Sara Beth put a loose robe to cover her nightgown.

When they came in the family gathering and dining room, they were shocked to see all three boys sitting at the table and eating. Robbie was filling a glass with juice from the dispenser and brought it to Kevin.

“More apple juice,” Robbie said, the panel of lights…where a mouth would be, coming on and off as he spoke. He put the glass down so Kevin could get it. Robbie looked up, “Greetings, Dad Joel. Greetings, Mom Sara Beth. Ian got up and was hungry. Then Kevin came in and was hungry and lastly was Jimmy. You were still sleeping. I did not want to wake you.”

“You made breakfast?” Sara Beth gaped.

“Athena made it,” Robbie explained. “I put it together. I gave it to them.”

“It’s great!” Jimmy told them holding his plate up. “French toast!”

“I’m having a Belgian Waffle!” Kevin said pointing with his fork at the fat waffle.

Sara Beth’s mouth was opening wider as she looked, still stunned. Joel’s surprised face was now smiling more.

“I’m having pancakes again,” Ian volunteered happily. “But these have these tiny chocolate chips in them. They’re really good!”

“Wow,” Joel said quietly in appreciation, but then he pointed at his sons. “That’s fine. Robbie, you are not a servant!”

“I am a Nesmith,” Robbie stated simply. “You said I was part of the family. Members of my Nesmith family were hungry. I can feed them.”

Sara Beth recovered enough to shake her head, “Of course, you just never have.”

“Before,” Robbie explained. “I could not reach things I would need. Now, I can. They have all had the recommended fruit. Ian likes tangerines, Kevin likes apples, Jimmy liked orange segments. They have had the recommended grains in their toast. They have their juices now.” Robbie looked at Joel and Sara Beth. “Do you wish your vanilla latte? Cold? Dad Joel?”

“I’d love one, Robbie!” Joel walked over to the table. “Do you recommend the waffle, Kevin?”

“Yes!” Kevin said chewing.

Robbie came back with Joel’s latte, “Do you wish your morning hot tea, Mom Sara Beth?”

“Please,” Sara Beth smiled and came to the table touching each son as she went to her seat and kissed Robbie on the side of the head which Robbie again had to lean so she could. “Thank you, Robbie.”

“Can I have the sausage links, Robbie?” Joel asked.

“The no meat sausage,” Sara Beth added. “You’ve had enough fatty meats this week.” Sara Beth grinned. “Doctor’s orders, Robbie.”

“Aw,” Joel pouted and sounded like his own sons. No, they sounded like Joel.

“Affirmative, Mom Sara Beth,” Robbie commented. “What would you like?”

“Granola, please,” Sara Beth commented, and Robbie went to get her selection from the dispensing unit. “Your waffle will be ready in five minutes, Dad Joel.”

“You didn’t enter the selection,” Kevin observed.

“I am linked with Athena,” Robbie said getting Sara Beth’s granola out in a bowl. “You tell me and Athena at the same time. It is easier.” The milk she preferred was in the bowl already. “Your usual toasted bagel half, Mom Sara Beth?”

“Yes!” Sara Beth smiled. “I could get used to this!”

“You all need to clean your own rooms,” Joel pointed at his sons. “Not Robbie.” He looked at Robbie. “Did you hear me? They clean their own rooms.”

“I know we should,” Jimmy said a little sad. “Mom likes things neat.”

Joel nodded, “Yes, but when we’re in stasis the Habitat Ring shuts down. Gravity doesn’t work and things…when not secured, can fly around.” He pointed at Robbie. “Him, too.”

“There’s no air?” Ian asked.

“I do not breathe, Ian Nesmith,” Robbie said. “Air is not important for me.”

“Oh,” Ian nodded and then grinned. “You’re doing this on purpose again. I remember you got my name right last night.”

“Everything I do is on purpose, and I always get your name right,” Robbie said. “Ian Nesmith.”

“Just Ian!” Ian smiled.

“Just Ian is not your correct name, Ian Nesmith.” Robbie said as he gathered what was wanted at the table. “Apples sliced for Mom Sara Beth. Tangerine segments for Dad Joel.”

Ian shook his head, “Like that. Mom Sara Beth and Dad Joel?”

“That is who they are,” Robbie explained and brought the toasted bagel half to Sara Beth. “Your hot biscuits are coming, Dad Joel.”

“Say Ian,” Ian got a determined look on his face. “Ian.”

“Ian,” Robbie repeated.

“That’s my name,” Ian said with a squinted eye fixed on Robbie.

“I was aware of your name before you were born,” Robbie informed. “There were many discussions about your name while you were in your eighteenth week, or the last week of your first trimester.”

“My what?” Ian’s scrunched his face.

“Your mother was growing you,” Joel pointed at Sara Beth’s midsection, “in there. The time is divided by three trimesters. You were in the last week of that first trimester.”

“And I grew there because you and Mommy had sex,” Ian said what he’d been told. “You and Mommy have sex often, you said. So, why don’t we have more brothers?”

Sara Beth laughed, “Because we didn’t want more children…yet.”

“People have sex for many reasons. Only sometimes to have children,” Joel clarified, “Your mother and I do because we love each other. It is something done because it feels good and fun.” Then shook his fork at each of them. “When you do it, and you will…take responsibility when you do. You can get a girl pregnant if you don’t. I’ve said it before, its not just because its fun. Do it because you love the other person. Only with someone I love, say it!”

“Only with someone I love,” all three sons said it together.

“That’s very important,” Joel stressed.

Sara Beth chuckled, “Your Dad was not very willing to tell you about sex.”

“Why?” Jimmy asked. “You said everyone does it.”

“They do,” Joel confessed. “In the past, some parents didn’t want to admit that their precious children were sexual creatures. You’ll grow up. If you aren’t prepared, you won’t know what to do.”

“Sex is wonderful,” Sara Beth smiled. “Our bodies are made to do it. Our brains are hardwired to do it. Sex is so enjoyable. Making love is so much better because of it. We are social creatures, and it binds us to another is a way that is magical. Love is the key component in marriage. Without it…sex loses meaning. We want you boys to know about that magic.”

Joel sat back as Robbie slid his hot waffle in front of him. “How did we get to this subject before breakfast!?”

“Ian was telling Robbie to simply use his name,” Kevin grinned.

Jimmy nodded, “Then Robbie talked about him getting his name before he was even born! You mentioned about Ian being grown inside Mom.”

“Then Ian mentioned the fact that you and Mom have sex,” Kevin informed. “That led to the topic of sex.”

“Thank you,” Joel put syrup on his buttered waffle as Robbie brought his “no meat” sausages. The tangerine segments were placed before him.

“You are welcome, Dad Joel,” Robbie told Joel.

“One last thing,” Joel put some waffle in his mouth and chewed relishing the taste. He swallowed and added, “This is very good, Athena, Robbie.” He looked at his three sons. “Your mother and I have never been modest with you. You were conceived when we were naked. You were born naked. That’s just what we are. You will be attracted to others and wonder what they will look like naked.” He shrugged a nod, “I did with your mom when we first met. That’s what your supposed to do to continue our species. We evolved to think that way.” He pointed at each son, “I see it happening with two of you. We don’t have a season to mate. Its our choice as to when and with whom. Make good choices. I beg you. Follow your hearts, not your peckers.” He grinned again, “Now, if the other person lets you see them naked, make sure they see you naked, but take your time and get to know them better. You’ll be happier.”

“Yes, sir,” Kevin and Jimmy said together.

Joel looked at Ian, “Whoever you choose, make super sure they consent. Make sure you consent.” He looked at his other sons. “I won’t care if your choice is female, male, or even their race. Understand?”

“Yes, sir,” Ian said smiling.

 

Breakfast is the meal you eat when you wake up. You’re breaking your fast after sleeping. Whatever it was, the meal was good. Joel had wanted another vanilla latte for his day. Life on the Ark was proving to be so much nicer than Joel or Sara Beth realized it could be. They were privileged and they knew it. It was a struggle to stay safe back on Earth. They were all relaxing. Robbie was promised he would be treated with respect and that he was a valued member not only in the Nesmith family but on the Ark. His continued link with Athena was allowing him to do almost anything.

The Nesmiths dressed in the usual white coveralls and went to the Cavills’ quarters. Each of the quarters were basically the same. Rooms were added or subtracted as needed. The walls could be moved relatively easily. Individual tastes for families was done by the family. When the Nesmiths got to the Cavills, there was a discussion going on between Chloe and her father.

“There’s nothing to do!” Chloe claimed a little heated, “We’re in stasis, then we’re not and what is there? I would like to go swimming!”

Hank’s amusement was in his eyes when he looked at Sara Beth, “I know there was no head injury. Does stasis cause amnesia? Clearly, she doesn’t remember.”

Chloe’s eyes narrowed at her father.

Sara Beth laughed and shook her head, “No, but I can check if you want.”

Hank looked at his eldest daughter, “You must have been too bored during the orientation about the Ark.” Hank waved at the Ark outside of there quarters, “There are twenty kilometers of deck out there! Two levels for the residents to call quarters and recreation.” He pointed up to the above deck. “You must not remember the part about the tanks up there. Deep and shallow pools that can be filled and used for work and play. You want to swim? Fine. You can swim up there. Athena has environmental programs to make you think you’re anywhere!”

Chloe’s eyes and face showed her irritation at her father, “Can we go?”

“Absolutely!” Hank said grandly. “You go with Robbie and have a lesson about something while your mother, Aunt Sara Beth, Uncle Joel, and I work a few hours and we’ll all go after that.” He hugged his daughter, “Keeping you happy is my job and your mother’s. We’ll go, okay?”

Chloe was often embarrassed, you know that. When it came down to basics, Chloe loved her father and she hugged him back, “Okay, Daddy.”

Rita was smiling at the exchange between her daughter and husband. Chloe was growing up and they were in for a rough road ahead. Being on the Ark was safer, where people were concerned. Outside in space there were unknown dangers they might face. It was easy to forget that. She sighed as she pushed that back into the other parts of her mind. They were here, alive, and a family.

 

Hank, Rita, Sara Beth, and Joel did work a few hours. Checking everything over and over would become tedious. Their survival was dependent on doing these tasks. Hank was checking the engines all the time. He was checking the machinery that made the engines to check for wear. The best thing was there were almost no moving parts to prevent any wear. The manufacturing of the ion gas was done and pumped to the engines where it was forced out thrusting them on. Rita checked Athena’s systems to see if anything unwanted was added with all these messages from Earth. There were groups that hadn’t seen how the Ark was a good thing. Sending Athena a program or command to veer off course or even self-destruct would show the world they left the Ark was a bad idea and see it’s futility. Athena could be corrupted. Rita was meticulous about checking the programs and algorithms to keep Athena healthy. Rita was convinced more each day that Athena was practically alive. Who could say? It was a question best left for Philosophers and those into Metaphysics. She and Athena deleted any questionable program or message. Athena could take care of herself if she knew what to look for. Rita had to teach Athena what to look for. Sara Beth studied each bio-scan of each resident in stasis. There could be no growth of anything in stasis…that she knew of. No one had been in stasis this long or as long as they would be. Cancer was a major threat, always. Could it grow in stasis? Medical histories were another criteria when selecting future residents on the Ark. Not one single resident and family had no cancer history. It seemed to be a condition of all Human Beings. Treatment for the disease while treating other diseases had gone a long way in finding a cure. HIV and AIDS were carefully monitored and none of the residents were infected with it or any other sexual or blood borne infection. Sara Beth prayed those were left on Earth, as well. Would there be a new threat? She would only know when she found it. Joel checked the scans of nearby space and the more in-depth space they were going toward. Proxima Centauri and Alpha Centauri were showing it had planets. He wasn’t liking what he was looking for. There was water on a couple, but not in the quantity that Joel thought they needed. Life? Not that he could see. That was better, remember? Those minds that knew what they were looking at would be better at deciding…rather helping Joel decide. He would be the one to approve. Why? He didn’t know much about a lot of what they already knew. The ground crew that made the decision about Joel was to be the one to approve or disapprove where the Ark went was based on what Joel didn’t know. He was smart enough to understand what these scientists told him. They had to show Joel why it was a good or bad idea. It wasn’t just Joel’s decision but a decision he would make on the input. Once done, Athena’s engines would begin the reverse thrusts to slow them down. It took them a year to leave the solar system. Another year to get where they were…wherever that was. It would be another seven years to get to the planet. The new scans of Proxima were in better detail than they ever had. There was also the surrounding solar system. Was there the “space junk” in it? There was an asteroid belt back in the one they left. Did the planets have many impacts from this junk? Was the planet stable? Lots of things to consider.”

 

They went to the Communal Dining Room where Robbie was instructing his students.

“…but why did Romeo kill himself?” Rachel asked Robbie. “They had a short marriage after meeting one night!”

“Because he didn’t want to face life without his Juliet,” Chloe said dreamily. “He loved her that much.”

“You are correct, Chloe,” Robbie said.

“She was dead!” Chloe argued. “Everyone knew that. That’s why she was in the mausoleum when Romeo got there. The priest guy didn’t move fast enough to give Romeo the message she wasn’t really dead.”

“Correct again, Chloe,” Robbie said. “Shakespeare wrote this as a tragedy. The romance is there, yet the tragedy is at the conclusion.”

Rachel frowned, “It was so hard to read! The language is so…different.”

“It was written a long time ago when people understood it better,” Robbie said.

“You have to read it a while for your mind to reprogram itself,” Chloe told her sister. “I can’t wait to meet my Romeo.” She sighed contently at a dream man moved through her mind.

Rita touched Hank’s arm quickly to stop his next words, “Don’t. She’s a girl. Cinderella, Romeo and Juliet have been a part of their lives. Dreams of the perfect guy is going to happen.”

Hank looked at his wife, “She should meet him, but not today, Okay?”

Rita looked at Kevin, “Maybe she has.”

Hank’s eyes widened, “She’s two years older than he is!”

“So?” Rita grinned. “In ten more years, that gap won’t mean as much.”

Sara Beth chuckled, “There are couples on the Ark where she is older than her husband.”

“Dad,” Kevin looked up from what he was studying on his hand-held screen. “I was reading about our potentially new system.”

“Okay,” Joel nodded.

“The solar system we left is rare,” He looked at his father. “The type and classification is rare. Not many are like our sun.”

“It won’t be,” Joel confirmed. “I was asked about alien life out there.” He pressed his own chest. “Wherever we end up, we will be the aliens. It won’t be our sun, world, or solar system. I know we’ll find one and call it home. The star could be a red dwarf, a brown dwarf…just about any that will support us and all the life we bring. All life we bring will be aliens there.”

“Wow,” Jimmy’s eyes widened.

“Even when we get there I would prefer a planet with no life at all,” Joel explained. “We will be skipping billions of years of evolution to have the planet support life we bring.”

“How?” Kevin asked.

“No life means no life at all,” Sara Beth added. “The soil won’t have the nutrients needed to grow anything. We have to introduce the cycle of life there. When a plant or animal dies, it should decay. It won’t if we don’t add the insects and bacteria to help with that. We will drop some generators that will pump air into the atmosphere. Nitrogen, oxygen, argon, and carbon dioxide depending on what’s there. When its at the sufficient levels we will introduce life. Special algae will be added which is going to feed on light and they will add oxygen to the atmosphere. We will add animal life that will feed off the algae such as plankton. We will have to add the bacteria that will help breakdown the dead algae and plankton. Larger animals and life will be added. We will add plant life on the land with nutrients added, starting the cycle of life there…”

“That sounds like a long time!” Jimmy balked.

“Yep,” Joel smiled. “About a hundred years for each…” he leaned forward and said, “and that’s a lot faster than natural! That’s another reason we need water!”

“We’ll never see it!” Kevin stated irritated.

Joel chuckled, “You’re forgetting something important.” He waved at Robbie and waved at the Ark. “We have those wonderful stasis pods and Athena. She’s so important to us. She’s doing most of the work. We’ll be in stasis most of the time!”

Rita nodded, “She’s more than our artificial intelligence. She is our salvation. We couldn’t do it without her.”

Chloe’s eyes widened, “And Robbie is an extension of Athena?”

“They are always linked,” Rita nodded. “Speak to Robbie, you’re speaking to Athena; Speak to Athena, you speak to Robbie. They aren’t just tools.”

Ian looked up at Robbie, “Wow.”

Sara Beth snickered as she looked at Joel, “Our children are so articulate.”

 

They had a meal together and then went to their own quarters to put on swimming suits. If it had been just the Nesmiths they might not have bothered. The Cavills might not have. Nude beaches and swimming pools had been around before. Joel knew his boys were growing up and he knew that Jimmy liked Rachel…a lot. To keep things from “coming up” (Was that a pun?) he thought it best to cover them all up. If Jimmy got an erection, Joel got them at eight, too, Jimmy could cover it up.

 

The Nesmiths gathered in the gathering room to go swimming. Kevin and Jimmy were almost bouncing with anticipation of what the next few hours would be. Ian was holding on to Robbie’s hand as Joel came into the room. He smiled at the excited feeling in the room. They were waiting on Sara Beth.

“You’re coming with us, Robbie,” Ian stated, and it wasn’t a request. Then he looked at Robbie puzzled. “Can you swim?”

“I sink.” Robbie answered.

“You won’t drown,” Kevin said simply. “But will you rust?”

“Negative, Kevin Nesmith,” Robbie answered. “My alloys will not rust.”

“You can play in the water,” Ian said to confirm.

“What games do you play in water?” Robbie asked.

Ian looked at Joel, “Are there balls in there, Dad?”

Joel nodded, “Sure.”

They all wore shorts and a light shirt. No coveralls this time. When Sara Beth came in the room Joel was glad the short suit he wore was loose to hide something that could “come up” on him! She still aroused him. Her suit was one piece with what looked like most missing at the mid-section on the left side. Mother of three? Her curves were still there. No wonder men went to war over a beautiful woman. Joel didn’t believe in war but understood defending what you had. He would defend her to his last breath!

“Honey?” Sara Beth smiled. “Have the tanks been filled?”

“What?” Joel asked trying to remember what she said. “Oh, the tanks! Athena, are the tanks in tank bay one and two being filled?”

“They are being filled now, Dad Joel,” Robbie informed.

Joel looked at Robbie. Talking with Robbie was talking to Athena. He needed to get used to that. “Thank you.”

“Can we have Calypso music?” Sara Beth asked.

“Certainly, Mom Sara Beth,” Robbie answered.

“Then add the appropriate environmental sounds?” Joel asked.

“Of course, Dad Joel,” Robbie answered.

“And the right scenery?” Sara Beth asked.

“Yes, Mom Sara Beth,” Robbie answered.

“Let’s go!” Joel brought Sara Beth to him, and they headed out to the Habitat Ring.

 

The rooms with the tanks were used for many things. They would be used to get the algae ready when the time came. Fish that needed to be brought to maturity for food and as a means to recreate such as they were doing now.

The steel drums beat softly in the background. Like the Milky Way Galaxy in Ian’s room and the presentation to the other residents in the Communal Dining Room…the walls of the room with the tanks were overshadowed by blue skies in a cloudless sky. Tropical palm trees blew and the sound of wind. Seagulls flew and called. Somehow Athena even added a floral and salty smell to the air.

“Wow!” Jimmy said doing a spin to see it all. “I never saw anything like this!”

“What is that music?” Kevin asked.

“Calypso!” Joel answered. “It almost disappeared on Earth. A few super hurricanes and rising seawater wiped out many islands including those in the Caribbean. The music now is done to remember.” Joel grudged a nod and brightened. “We’re remembering!”

“…you look fine,” Rita assured her eldest.

Sara Beth knew girls at the age had issues with their bodies and self-confidence. Chloe had her blonde hair tied up behind her head. Normally, it hung past her shoulders. Rachel’s was shorter and around her face and had blonde hair with red becoming more apparent. Chloe’s body was preparing to become a woman as her breasts were forming. Rita was a pretty woman. Chloe, and Rachel would be beautiful. Chloe’s posture at the moment told Sara Beth a lot. Chloe’s arms were crossed over her chest to hide her upper body and she was closed off. No matter how the Human Race evolved, young people suffered the same way. Their raging hormones were changing their bodies dramatically. Sara Beth’s trained eye saw that Chloe had indeed been a swimmer. Her musculature had the rounded, yet well honed shape you didn’t get by running or lifting weights. With no resistance in the water, muscles were rounded. It was Chloe’s mind that was being attacked by those hormones and her self-worth was under scrutiny by Chloe. There were dangers of developing other issues such as eating disorders. Sara Beth sighed inwardly as she remembered her own teenage years and felt empathy for Chloe. Rita was a great role model and Chloe wasn’t stupid. Her father loved her. Sara Beth’s sons had a great role model in Joel. There were good role models on the Ark. They’d weather this transition as they did since life crawled onto dry land.

Sara Beth was thinking so much about what she was thinking, she didn’t see Joel come up behind her, grab her to him and then fell backward into the deeper of the two tanks of water. He took the impact of the warm water first, protecting Sara Beth.

Surfacing, Sara Beth splashed more water at her husband, “Couldn’t you have waited for me to take my robe off?”

“I could have,” Joel grinned. “This was unexpected. It will dry.”

Ian smiled at his parents’ fun, still having Robbie’s hand, “Come on, Robbie!”

Sara Beth had raised all her sons in the water. Taking them to the pool almost every day after they were born and teaching them to swim even before they could walk. They weren’t afraid of water. Swimming styles and strengths were being taught. “Wear the swimming sleeves!” She instructed Ian. They were flotation material that anyone could keep a person afloat if they got tired.

“Yes, Mommy!” Ian called trying to drag Robbie behind him. He couldn’t, but he tried.

The time was almost like a vacation. It was an illusion, but so welcome by both the Nesmiths and the Cavills. Joel’s thoughts never left the others in stasis long. It wasn’t fair, but they were having fun! He’d make sure they had a chance to have fun when they were awake. Splashing, squeals, and laughter were heard as they played with balls and other floatation objects. Robbie didn’t really want to get into the fun in the water. The shallow tank was only a foot and a half deep. Ian, Jimmy, Kevin, Chloe, and Rachel played games in that tank and invited Robbie to join them. Robbie declined each one. He was content to be there. He joked, his way, and spoke with all of them. His manner of speech never really said he was bored or happy. The fact that he joked said he was fine.

After four hours the time came for them all to return and eat. None of the water again was wasted. Even water that evaporated was not wasted. Recycle, recycle, recycle. That was the rule. Sara Beth even suggested everyone take a nap before they went into stasis again.

“We’ll be in stasis!” Rachel pointed out.

“Yes,” Sara Beth chuckled. “Again, stasis is not sleep. If you go into stasis tired, you’ll still be tired when you wake up. So, a nap is needed.”

They had Robbie back up into his closet. Before he did, Sara Beth told him, “Robbie, you have been such a great help to all of us. Me, in particular. Feeding us was wonderful. Thank you.” She raised a finger, “However, I am still their mother. You did it for all the right reasons. I am the wife and mother. My duties on the Ark may make it hard for me to do the tasks of a wife and mother. I will appreciate help.” She smiled. “Let me be their mother. Joel is right. You are a member of this family. You are an equal part of the Ark. You are not a servant. Don’t let anyone treat you like one. Okay?”

“I understand, Mom Sara Beth,” Robbie said quietly. “I feel useful. Allow me to do that.”

“Of course,” Sara Beth smiled kissing Robbie on the side of his head. “We’ll see you soon.”

Robbie shut himself off in the closet. The Nesmiths and Cavills returned to stasis.

 

It happened again! Joel was awake, not that he’d been asleep, and felt like nothing had happened! At all! He looked over at Sara Beth’s pod, “Can I rethink that stuff you would add to make me feel something?” He stretched. “I have to stretch to get the medicine for undoing the stasis in my body, but I really don’t feel anything.”

“It is what it is,” Sara Beth chuckled.

“This is nothing like they showed in movies,” Joel grumbled.

“Movies aren’t necessarily accurate, and they are to entertain,” Sara Beth commented. “Athena, has it been five years since we entered stasis the last time?”

“That is correct, Dr. Nesmith,” Athena answered.

“What movie?” Sara Beth asked Joel.

“There’s quite a few!” Joel answered. “Such as the Aliens movies. Alien, Aliens, Alien 3, Alien Resurrection…they all showed coming out of stasis was more difficult.”

Sara Beth’s lower lip stuck out as she mockingly pouted, “Aw, you poor thing.”

They were joined again by Hank and Rita. Their children were next. They would be joined by four other couples, six that were on the evaluation consulting group of scientists to recommend whether they continue toward the Alpha Centauri System or move on.

“People are going to talk,” Hank said as he and Rita drifted weightlessly toward them.

“They talk all the time,” Joel shrugged at his friend’s comment. “Is there a topic of this talk you’re referring to?”

“We’re always together!” Hank said simply. “You’re stalking us.”

“Oh,” Joel grinned. “From our perspective, you are stalking us.”

Hank smiled brighter, “Maybe we are!”

A very unique family now approached them. One was Dr. Adam Friend, an Astronomist and Astrophysics Scientist. He was from the United States. His last name they found was an accident. His ancestor came through Ellis Island and spoke almost no English. When asked his last name he tried to say a friend was coming and could talk with them. The man at Ellis Island heard “friend” and that became the last name. Adam’s husband was Xolani and that was his whole name. He took the last name Friend when he and Adam married. Xolani was descended from a Zulu warrior and was from the Southern African Coast. You could believe it from his size, about six feet and six inches tall. Adam was only six feet and one inch. He was Caucasian. Xolani was black. Not just the race, but he was black! Not brown or even dark brown, but completely black. His skin was the darkest shade of black Sara Beth had ever seen before. Flawless, unblemished beautiful black skin. He was very handsome with a powerful chest. He was very smart. Another unique situation was their son. Adam was thirty-eight years old and Xolani was forty. Their son was fourteen and he was bi-racial. He was Lunga. Adam was his biological father. Really. Xolani was his father, but his biological uncle. Quit scratching your heads. Before she died, Xolani’s sister, Ayanda left some things in her will to Xolani. Among these things were three harvested eggs from her. She wanted a child, but she couldn’t find the right person until she met Adam. Learning her brother was in a homosexual relationship, she offered the eggs to them to have a child. Here comes Lunga! They had to use a surrogate female to have him. A win, win, win situation. Adam has a son, Xolani has a son/nephew, and Ayanda has a son. Lunga was a lighter skinned young man, but of African descent. Adam and Xolani had met at the university. Xolani was a Physicist and Astronomer. Lunga was already studying college level courses.

There was Geologists and Planetary Scientists.

All the brains needed to make decision still this far out.

“It’ll be great to see these stars much closer,” Xolani said happily.

“Alpha Centauri?” Kevin asked.

“Sure,” Xolani nodded. “The Alpha Centauri System is classified as a binary star system. Alpha Centauri A and B. Alpha Centauri A is a type G star like our sun. Alpha Centauri B is a class K and gravitationally locked. A we call Rigil Kentaurus, Centauri B we call Toliman.” He smiled at Kevin. “There’s a third one, Alpha Centauri C we call Proxima.”

“Those are some odd names!” Ian observed.

“All of Latin is odd at first,” Adam chuckled.

Lunga, a handsome young man saw Chloe and turned on his charming smile, “Hi, Chloe.”

Chloe smiled back and answered coyly, “Hi, Lunga.”

There was clear interest there. Joel chuckled as he watched Hank’s eyes rolled and looked away.

“If we live there,” Jimmy asked astonished, “we’ll have three suns!?”

Adam shrugged a nod, “Well, two with Alpha Centauri A and B. Proxima is a tiny red star.”

“Won’t it be too hot?” Kevin asked.

“The planets that orbit Alpha Centauri A and B in the habitable zone will be far enough away.” Adam explained further.

If,” Joel injected, “they have water and other things we need.”

Xolani laughed lightly, “Right. That’s why we’re up from stasis. We will look and see.”

Rachel was floating past her father who stopped her, “If Robbie is teaching us again, does it have to be Shakespeare?”

Lunga tore his eyes from Chloe and asked, “Robbie? Who’s Robbie?”

Ian was about to answer when Joel covered his mouth gently and said, “We should just introduce them. They won’t believe you if you tell them.”

Ian chuckled, “Okay.”

Two other science couples joined them and two other young people.

“Athena,” Joel said as they headed toward the lift. “Wake Robbie and have him wait in the Communal Dining Area.”

“Certainly, Commander,” Athena said.

“We just had class earlier today,” Chloe complained.

“That was five years ago!” Hank grinned. “You’ve skipped school for five years!”

“Hey, yeah!” Jimmy brightened. “Do I get five more birthdays?”

Sara Beth smiled, “You don’t look fourteen.”

“Kevin should be in high school,” Joel said loud. He looked as Lunga was helping Chloe from drifting away in the weightlessness. Hank again was having an issue with it. “What’s the problem, Hank?”

“She’s twelve!” Hank hissed quietly. “Twelve!”

Joel laughed quietly at him, “And Lunga is fourteen. He knows she’s twelve and he doesn’t mind. It’s only two years.”

Rita took Hank’s hand, “That’s about the same difference as us.”

“Go away,” Hank grumbled. “All of you.”

“We can only go away so far, Hank,” Sara Beth chuckled.

 

Entering the Communal Dining Room, Ian ran over to his friend, “Hi, Robbie!” He took Robbie’s hand.

There were the gasps and hesitation from those that didn’t know Robbie.

“Hello, Ian Nesmith,” Robbie said, his light pad lighting as he spoke. “Hello, everyone.” He even waved at them.

Lunga’s mouth dropped open, “What the hell?” There was a whoa and another wow.

Joel explained about Robbie. Ian ended everything as he hugged Robbie’s side and said, “He’s my friend and a Nesmith.”

It was their time, so no time was wasted. Joel answered questions about Robbie and why he was on the Ark.

“Do we continue?” Joel asked. “Or do we just skip the latest scans from Athena?”

“Alpha Centauri!” Xolani suddenly exclaimed mockingly choking Lunga who was laughing, “I completely forgot why we got out of stasis! How could I forget that!?”

“Robbie is kind of exciting,” Lunga chuckled as Adam did a loose headlock on a son that was almost as tall as he was now.

“We have jobs to do,” Sara Beth reminded them. “Students remain here, parents with us.”

 

In the Control Room Joel, Sara Beth, Hank, and Rita worked on one side and the science minds worked on the other side. Athena showed her scans of the approaching system. They looked over the results of those scans and reports for hours! There were some almost heated debates that happened. More messages from Earth. Joel learned that another Ark was being built. This one was going to be even bigger. There had been more super hurricanes, super monsoons and typhoons. More unrest in some countries that had again broken out in war. Two nuclear bombs were set off, one on the boarder of China and Russia and the other in Beijing. The deaths were in the billions…Joel sighed and bowed his head on the desk thanking whatever power that they, on this Ark had gotten away. He prayed the new Ark was built and another chance for more people could get away. Political differences and other problems didn’t matter. Men, women and children were dead! While on Earth, Joel was so scared that someone would blow the world up. He was so grateful his wife and sons got away in time. He felt tears come that were in sorrow and relief.

“Honey?” Sara Beth asked quietly putting a hand on his head. “Is it bad?”

Joel sat up and nodded, “Yes.” He pulled her so she could read the news headlines and messages that came as well.

“My God!” Sara Beth said in a whispered cry. “One billion in Beijing, nearly a billion near Habahe…the collective deaths afterwards…two and a half billion people!?”

“So far,” Joel said sadly. “Radiation levels are high, and you know the radiation will spread. They project billions more.” He chuckled, but there was no humor in it. “That’s another way to thin out the population. Too bad no one can live near there for a while.” He rubbed his face to get rid of his tears.

Sara Beth slid a chair over and hugged him, “We’re safe, Joel. I’m safe. Your sons are safe. Now, more than ever we know this was the right thing to do.”

“Have we learned our lessons yet, Babe?” He waved at the Ark beyond. “We have great minds with us, but have we learned lessons we need to have to pass on to our grandchildren and great grandchildren? We aren’t perfect. Will we make the same mistakes again?”

“I hope not,” Sara Beth pressed her face against his face. “We lost our home! It was so bad; we left our home. For what? A new chance! We’ll start on a new world and this time…hopefully, we’ll get it right!” She looked at him and she cried, too. “There will be mistakes. Hopefully, we’ll have taught them enough to see it before it’s too late.”

Joel nodded, embracing Sara Beth tightly, “I am determined we will!”

Copyright © 2022 R. Eric; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 8
  • Love 15
  • Fingers Crossed 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

This is a great story, loving the use of Robbie.  Interesting that there are not advanced androids, or maybe they don exist in this worldview.  Seems like Athena could be sentient, given enough time. Great seeing that sexuality is a non issue on the Ark, at least in these families.

  • Like 5
Link to comment

Well, although it ended on a sadder note, the entire chapter was highly entertaining.  

I keep giggling at overprotective Daddy Hank.  He really has to understand that his baby girl is growing up and spreading her wings!  It’s part of life, after all.

 I love the discussions that ensue.  Would that everyone on Earth today could understand things that well now.  Maybe we wouldn’t have the kinds of issues we are burdened with.

  • Like 5
Link to comment

@R. Eric, I love that you had the Nesmith kids learning to swim at an early age.  I feel all kids should be taught the basics of swimming, floating, and some basic water safety rules.

  • Like 1
  • Love 3
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..