Jump to content
    R. Eric
  • Author
  • 7,108 Words
  • 1,094 Views
  • 15 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Ark II - 3. Robbie

I wrote chapters about dogs, so how could I pass up Robbie? He's not a dog, but will prove he's a valuable member of the Ark.

Joel and Sara Beth led their sons back to the party and it was still going strong.

It was Ian that came up and said something that made Sara Beth smile, “Mommy, why am I sleepy?”

Sara Beth reached down and picked him up, “Because you simply are.” Picking up a five-year-old wasn’t hard for her, but he was getting heavier. She almost wished they were all weightless.

“You said I was asleep a whole year!” Ian stated irritated. “How can I be sleepy!?”

“Stasis isn’t sleep,” Sara Beth explained. “Your life was paused. Your body wasn’t resting. It’s telling you to get some.”

Ian laid his head on her shoulder, “My body wants it now.”

“Then that’s what we’ll give your body,” Sara Beth said and adjusted Ian in her arms. “Maybe we shouldn’t.” She kissed him gently. “Your getting heavier. Most of your growth happens when you sleep.”

Ian wasn’t worried, “I can’t help it.”

Joel came over as he peered at his wife and child, “I guess it is that time.” He said quietly to them. “Collectively, it’s been a long day for you. Any morning you had was fourteen hours ago.” He looked over at Kevin who was still trying to impress Helvi. Now, they were laughing with Jiao-long Ch’en, Dr. Wei Ch’en’s son who was about their age. He saw Kevin’s blinks had gotten longer, telling Joel he was getting sleepy. “Maybe we had better let everyone sleep in their quarters a few hours.”

“Athena,” Sara Beth said quietly. “Could we pause the music, and can you broadcast my voice?”

“Of course, Dr. Nesmith,” Athena answered, and the music stopped. “Proceed.”

“My intention is not to stop the party with good friends,” Sara Beth said, shifting Ian in her arms again. He was getting heavier. “As you know, being in stasis is not sleep. Your body still needs the valuable time to recover from your day. Your body is telling you that day began fourteen to sixteen hours ago. It still functions on a twenty-four-hour schedule. My child just wondered why he was sleepy.” She chuckled. “For Joel, Hank, Rita, and I its midday. My children need sleep.”

“You were told it has been a year since you went into stasis,” Joel said loud. “Your minds, my mind, everybody’s minds said no. That’s not possible.”

“Right,” Sara Beth then emphasized, “You need sleep. Party more if you want to, but I’m putting my children to bed. You can stop now Athena.”

“Aw, Mom,” Kevin whined.

“Don’t aw mom me,” Sara Beth laughed lightly. “I am your mother. I can see it on your face and body. Let’s go.”

Joel waved him to come with them, “Don’t argue.” He grinned at Helvi and Jiao-long. “They aren’t going anywhere. You can have fun with them again after some sleep. Come on.”

Kevin didn’t resist and said his goodbye to Jiao-long and Helvi and walked over and went with Sara Beth and Joel out of the Communal Dining Room and went toward their quarters. “Dad, what if there are aliens where we want to settle?”

The question was asked again and again by scientists for eons. Were we alone? Life had never been found in the solar system. Many on Mars knew there had been, but not even a single microbe had been located. Not definitive proof of life other than Earth was ever found.

“By alien,” Joel began. “If you are referring to intelligent life, we don’t know about them. Simple life like animal or plant life has to be found first. If they do exist on a planet we want to settle on, we’ll have to think about it carefully. Do they breathe the same kind of air we do? Will they mingle with us and the animals we bring?” He sighed. “I would prefer a world with no life but has water. A virgin world like that would be perfect for us to settle on.”

“How long will the Ark travel?” Jimmy asked.

“As long as it needs to,” Joel answered.

“Won’t the Ark run out of gas?” Kevin asked.

Joel chuckled, “It could, but Athena makes the ionized gas herself. Materials the Ark needs to make the gas are all over in space. We have enough resources in storage to burn the ionized gas for five hundred years!” Joel watched his two sons’ eyes widen. “If Athena feels it’s running low she can scoop some things up to replenish the Ark’s supplies. We can travel the thousand years and not run out of gas. The engines are the problem. That’s why Uncle Hank is needed so badly. We’d have a breakdown before we ran out of gas. Hank’s job, and his team, are to make sure the breakdown never happens. That’s why we wake up so often to make sure it doesn’t.”

“So, no warping or hyperspace?” Jimmy asked.

Sara Beth smiled at her husband, “See what those movies did?”

“Who is to say we can’t create a warp bubble or fly in hyperspace one day?” Joel objected, defending his love of old fiction. “Create wormholes! If we can imagine it, who is to say no?” He looked at Kevin, “Do you know how to make a warp bubble?” Kevin shook his head but was smiling. Joel looked at Jimmy, “Do you know how to get into hyperspace to use it?”

Jimmy laughed shaking his head, “No.”

“And there you go!” Joel stated logically. He pointed at Jimmy, “You figure it out,” then to Kevin. “I know we’ll use it!” He waved his hands helplessly. “Until you figure it out…we’ll have to travel as fast as we’re able.” He shrugged.

Entering their quarters, Joel waved them toward their rooms, “Mom and I will tuck you in. Get ready for bed.”

“Unless,” Sara Beth added, “Did anyone get sweaty? If not, you can skip the shower before bed. You will take one in the morning.”

Kevin grinned, “When’s that?”

“Okay, smart guy,” Sara Beth snorted and laughed shortly. “When you wake up, you shower!” She took her youngest into his bedroom. She spoke softly to Ian, “Okay, sweetie. Let’s get you into something more comfortable.”

Ian regained a bit of wakefulness and smiled at seeing the three-foot robot in his room. He was left there to make his room less scary alone. “Hi, Robbie.” Ian said sleepily.

“Greetings, Ian Nesmith,” the little robotic friend greeted with his gears whirring and his antennas turning. “Greetings, Mom Sara Beth.”

Robbie’s voice was not as loud because he could see Ian was going to bed. It still had that robotic quality of mechanical speech he had as his character all those years ago.

Ian laughed quietly, “I told you. A simple hi Ian would work.”

“I can not say that to Mom Sara Beth.” Little Robbie explained. “Her name is not Ian. Yours is.”

Ian laughed but was barely keeping his eyes open, “You know what I meant.”

“You will have to remind me,” Robbie said quietly. “After your slumbering period.”

Joel came in and joined Sara Beth at their son’s bedside. The single bed was swallowing Ian. That was something he’d outgrow. “Did you have a good time tonight?”

“Uh huh,” Ian nodded. “It was fun.” His words were getting longer.

Joel leaned in kissing his son. He turned to Robbie, “Hi, Robbie.”

“Greetings, Dad Joel,” Robbie replied.

This was a nightly routine now.

“Robbie,” Joel pointe at Ian. “Watch him as he sleeps. Make sure he’s okay.”

“Task entered and will be done,” Robbie replied. “I will make sure Ian Nesmith is okay. He is my friend.”

Joel nodded as Sara Beth kissed Ian and tucked him under some cover, “Yes, we are all your friends, Robbie. Thank you.”

Sara Beth had taken a little longer to see that Robbie was more than a toy. He could tap into the psychology and educational databases. Any database needed and deal with problems as they came about. He had endless patience and got the boys to explain things so basically often the boys knew better why they did whatever they did.

“Athena,” Sara Beth started softly, “Can we have the Milky Way Galaxy?”

The image of the spiral arms of the galaxy they all knew appeared above their heads spinning slowly. (Well, it did spin, but we never see it.) The same invisible screen was used with the stars that was used for when Joel had shown everyone the presentation in the Communal Dining Room.

“Dim the lights, please,” Sara Beth requested, and the room grew darker. The lights from the many stars added enough illumination if Ian needed to get up, for instance going to the bathroom. She and Joel rose and were about to leave the room. Sara Beth stopped and looked down at Robbie. “Robbie, you were a Nesmith long before I was. Thank you for taking care of my children.”

“I am a Nesmith?” Robbie asked and almost sounded surprised.

“You certainly are,” Joel said and added. “You’re family. That’s why you’re here on the Ark.” Joel escorted Sara Beth out of their son’s room.

They tucked the remaining sons in and walked into the family room.

“I don’t feel like going back to the party,” Sara Beth admitted to Joel. “We need to clean up, but that can wait a few hours. Go back if you want to.”

“No,” Joel smiled as he got closer to Sara Beth. “I’ve partied enough.”

She smiled at Joel and played with his zipper, “I believe you like spending time with me, Commander.”

Joel shook his head, “That would be incorrect.” He grinned. “I love to spend time with you. You’re my favorite person that has ever or will be. I’ll stay with you.”

“Sweet talker,” she kissed him. “I love spending time with you.”

Joel thought of something he hadn’t thought of. He withdrew a little, “You know…” he began, “since on the Ark…I think we’re spending more time together than ever before!”

“Our working space is the same and its kind of limited,” Sara Beth laughed. “The Ark is huge, but it’s not that big.”

“You’re not in Atlanta,” Joel smiled. “I’m no longer deployed to god knows where. Now, we’re working at desks, side by side sharing a workspace…I’ve seen more of you in the past waking days than we ever did!”

“Are you sure you won’t get tired of that?” Sara Beth asked.

“I don’t see how,” Joel said thinking. He shrugged. “I’ll try not to be irritating to you.”

“You haven’t in twelve years,” Sara Beth smiled. “I think it’s a safe bet you won’t be.”

 

Their sex life was very good. They never hid that from their children. Not that they would make love with them in the room, but they didn’t lock the door or hide the fact that their parents had sex! They even told all three that was how they made them! Ian wondered if they were making anybody else. Both Joel and Sara Beth shrugged and admitted they might. Sara Beth asked how he would feel about a sister. That received a frown in response. The idea of a girl never occurred to them. Sara Beth grinned and asked how they felt about their mother being a girl? “You’re Mom!” Ian stated. Sara Beth laughed and said Moms were girls! That blew her then three-year-old’s mind.

They lay together on the bed enjoying the afterglow after having some good sex.

“I was thinking,” Joel began causing Sara Beth’s eyebrows to rise. “No, I haven’t collapsed or short circuited anything.”

“Joel!” Sara Beth whined.

Joel grinned, “I only say that to hear you defend my honor,” He sighed. “I was thinking that on our next scheduled maintenance, we should wake the boys again.”

“Why?” Sara Beth asked. “We’re only up a day or two.”

“That way we are as a family,” Joey reasoned. “And…” he looked guilty, “I thought of giving the boys their surprise early.”

“Their surprise?” Sara Beth asked. “You mean Robbie?”

“Yes!” He rolled them so he was over her. He was excited.

Sara Beth smiled with only the slightest roll of her eyes, “For the boys.”

“Yes!” Then he admitted, “For us, too!”

“How so?” Sara Beth laughed.

“Can you think of a better nanny?” Joel asked. “Robbie’s the best teacher, companion, and nanny?” He held his arms out helplessly. “A full-sized Robbie will be great! They have to continue their school. Who better than to run any lesson plans than Robbie! He’s always patient…”

“Yes, I agree,” Sara Beth assured. “Won’t a seven-foot Robbie be scary?”

Joel grudged a nod, “Perhaps at first,” he brightened again, “All Robbie’s memories, experiences…all things Robbie will be in the seven-foot version. He will be the perfect babysitter!” He looked encouragingly to Sara Beth. “No one on the Ark would hurt anyone. Certainly not our sons! He’ll make them the envy of the Ark!”

“He’ll function outside our quarters?” Sara Beth asked.

“You and I might be working,” Joel shrugged. “If Hank’s and Rita’s girls are up with our boys…they could have the curriculum go through Robbie! He’d be great!”

Sara Beth laughed harder, “Okay!” She agreed. “I will tell you. When I first met Robbie, I thought he was just a glorified toy…”

“A toy!?” Joel exclaimed.

Sara Beth nodded, “I then thought he was a kind of transitional object for you.”

“Does he look like a blanket or teddy bear!?”

Sara Beth held her hand up, “I found he not only played with our sons, but reminded me of things to get from the grocery store and appointments…”

“He’s Robbie!” Joel said happily. “I always wanted a real version of the real Robbie. A big version would gotten in the way at home…both with Grandpa and I, then with you and I. He’s not the robot! But running him through Athena, he is! The boys love him! With her help, he will be the real thing.”

“I don’t need convincing,” Sara Beth said while she laughed but cocked her head, “And what’s wrong with being a toy or transitional object? He is! He brings pleasure and comfort to all of us…especially our sons! He was a comfort to you almost all of your life. I’m glad you have him.” She smiled. “Is he ready?”

Joel nodded, “I’ve even got a closet for him.” He saw her scrunched face. “When he’s on the Habitat Ring and it is no longer functioning, it will have no gravity. We can’t have him just drifting around. The cabinet Robbie’s smaller body is in will work, but he needs to be secured.”

Sara Beth understood, “When are you moving him into the closet?”

Joel thought, “We can do it right before we go back in the Stasis Pods. The boys will be in the pods in stasis, we’ll come back and put him in the closet.”

“That sounds great!” Sara Beth said smiling, “Now, I can’t wait!”

 

Sara Beth and Joel napped but got up. Got the boys up, showered and dressed. When they entered the Communal Dining Room there was still the sort of chaos when people gather. There was the sound of laughter that was when people ate various things for breakfast…or their first meal after waking up…or last meal before going back into stasis.

There they are!” Hank said happily from the table Rita, Chloe, and Rachel shared as they ate. Chloe rolled her eyes embarrassed again by her father. Rita patted Hank’s arm patiently. Rachel just smiled at her funny Daddy.

Joel chuckled, “It’s a big ship, I know but did you look for us?”

Hank waved that off and said, “Nah, we had it in control. We knew you had young people with you that needed sleep.” He looked at his daughters. “Like these two.” He looked at their table. “I’d invite you to join us…”

“That’s okay,” Joel nodded. “We need a bit more room.” He looked at Hank’s plate at what was left. “How is Athena’s pancakes?”

“Perfection!” Hank did the Italian gesture kissing his fingertips and flecked them outward. “Delicious. Grandmothers everywhere would be envious!”

Rita smiled at that, “Because Athena has all the secrets to the perfect batter and makes it the same each time. Computer efficient and consistent each time.”

“The maple syrup is great!” Hank declared. “I’d swear it was real maple syrup.”

Joel’s eyebrows rose, “Have you ever had real maple syrup?” Maple trees were hard to find. Northeastern American trees were disappearing. There were still some in Canada. Hank was Canadian!

Hank nodded, “I have six times. I can’t really tell the difference.”

Joel leaned closer to Hank and said softly, “After everyone is back in stasis. Will you help me with a special project?”

Hank’s eyes widened a little, “Sure! However I can help.” He looked back at Sara Beth and the boys. “I’m gathering you don’t want them to know.”

Joel nodded, “Sara Beth knows but the boys do not. It’s a surprise.”

 

The meal they shared was very good. Buttermilk pancakes, sausage links, juice, milk, and coffee. All delicious. The maple syrup was very good, though Sara Beth chose a fruit topping on hers. The residents cleaned up after themselves and left the Communal Dining Room neat and clean. The need to keep all loose objects from flying around in zero gravity. Again, Athena was wonderful and could cook anything they had in storage. She couldn’t clean up any more than assemble what people ate. People had to do that.

Joel addressed the residents, “I hate to break things up, but unless you plan to stay up the rest of the way…you have to go back into stasis! Say later to everyone knowing you’ll see them again in a few minutes!” He chuckled, “To you. It may be a lot longer for some…not that you will notice, but we will be reviving some to go over some closer scans of potential planets and decide where we’re going.”

Jimmy was helping his mother clear the table they used…all of the boys were helping but Jimmy had a question. “You wanted us to clear the tables at home to keep food from spoiling, stinking, and attracting bugs, right?”

Sara Beth smiled and nodded, “Right.”

“Food kept in storage doesn’t spoil?” Jimmy asked confused.

“The supplies are kept like we are,” Sara Beth answered putting some plates in the recycler. “Only the supplies are kept where there is no bacteria. Everything is stopped from aging. The bread your toast came from was made over a year ago but its still fresh as the day it was baked. Athena can bake bread but didn’t have to. Its also a vacuum. It stays perfectly preserved. The apple slices on my pancakes were fresh. No browning because of bacteria in the air.” She shrugged, “We can grow more apples.”

The residents went back into stasis and the children of Joel, Sara Beth, Hank, and Rita.

“So, what do you need help with?” Hank asked curious.

Joel did the “come here” gesture and went down to the Habitat Ring again and into the Nesmith’s quarters.

“Robbie!” Joel called in their quarters.

The shorter Robbie walked over, “I am here, Dad Joel.”

Joel went to the wall in the kitchen, dining area, “Hank, you and Rita know Robbie.” He pressed a button and a door opened. “Meet Robbie!”

This Robbie was the tall, bulky, black robot that stood with them. The new one stood taller than any of them. He was lifeless. Rita gasped and Hank let out a slow whistle of appreciation.

“I need the Engineer to make sure he functions,” Joel waved at Hank and then looked at Rita, “I’d like our computer expert to be sure he thinks and is Robbie.”

“That should be easy for Athena,” Rita stated. “Really, most of his memories and experiences are in this Robbie,” she waved at the small Robbie. “Which can be transferred to this Robbie.” She waved at the big Robbie.

Hank looked at the big Robbie and reached out, but hesitated and asked Joel, “Can I?”

“Sure,” Joel answered cautiously.

Hank took a fist and knocked on big Robbie’s side and then his leg. There was the ringing sound of metal, “What’s he made of?”

Joel chuckled, “Well, big Robbie is made from metals from our many mines on asteroids and various moons. It is a composite mixture of those metals and synthetic materials that make him lightweight yet durable. Athena and I had to make his legs heavier to help him stay upright.”

“How much does he weigh?” Hank asked.

“About seven hundred pounds,” Joel replied. “You don’t want him to step on your toes.” Joel chuckled.

“Athena,” Rita said. “Can all that is in this Robbie,” she pointed at the smaller Robbie, “be transferred to this Robbie?”

“Yes, Dr. Cavill,” Athena answered.

“Nothing will be lost from him,” Rita pointed again, “to him.” She pointed to the big Robbie.

“No, Dr. Cavill,” Athena answered patiently.

“I may be overly cautious,” Joel admitted. “But this Robot has been my friend since I was eight! I won’t lose him.”

“Nothing will be lost, Commander,” Athena assured. “When you give the word to transfer…”

“Do it,” Joel said quickly.

Suddenly the big Robbie’s lights came on and his antennas turned, and the whirring sound began. His lights blinked.

“Robbie?” Joel asked the big robot.

“Yes, Dad Joel,” Robbie said looking…well, it seemed to be looking at Joel.

Joel looked at the smaller Robbie who was now still and lifeless. “How do you feel?”

“I do not feel…in the Human sense,” Robbie’s voice even seemed a fractional bit deeper, but that could have been all in Joel’s mind due to Robbie’s size now. “I have limited emotional response as I am a robot.”

“That’s bullsh…” he felt Sara Beth nudge him, “I mean bull crap.” Joel smiled, “You remember me.”

“Certainly,” Robbie replied.

“Tell me something you remember about me,” Joel challenged. “Something only you and I would know.”

“When you were thirteen,” Robbie began, “A budding teenager, you asked me about the frequent erections…”

Joel smiled grandly, “Robbie!” He greeted his big friend and hugged the robot and now his arms couldn’t go completely around Robbie. “That topic should stay between us, okay?” He muttered in a near whisper.

“Affirmative, Dad Joel,” Robbie said simply.

Joel waved at the smaller body of Robbie, “I will put this body to be recycled. Will you mind?”

“Negative, Dad Joel,” Robbie answered. “I was over there. Now, I am here. I know everything must be recycled.”

Sara Beth smiled at her husband a little amused, “Frequent erections at thirteen, huh?”

“Well…” Joel nodded and felt himself blush.

“Why so late?” Hank asked. “I had one almost all the time at eleven!”

“Hank!” Rita shook her head. “Athena, all records and files from Robbie were transferred?”

“Yes, Dr. Cavill,” Athena answered. “All files and records are backed up to me. If any damage or destruction happens to Robbie, I will have a copy and they can be transferred to another body.”

“Can he move?” Hank asked.

“Robbie,” Joel said to Robbie. “Can you walk?”

“I can,” Robbie’s leg moved and he made a thumping step forward, then another.

“Okay,” Joel said quickly. “This is to test you more. Can you pick up the old body you had?”

“I can,” Robbie turned and leaned over the body he once lived in. Robbie had three digits in each hand. He had the thick thumb, but also had two other digits that were like two combined fingers on each hand. He lifted the lifeless body he lived in easily.

“The recycle…” Joel began.

“I have the schematics of the entire Ark,” Robbie said and walked over to the chute all large recyclable materials were placed and put the small body in it and pressed the button.

“Pardon me!” Joel grinned. “You can still link in with the databases.” He said to be sure.

“Affirmative,” Robbie answered. “I can access Athena’s database and download whatever is needed.”

“His movements are a little clumsy,” Hank observed. “Do you want me to improve that?”

“No!” Joel answered quickly. “He moves like Robbie! He talks like Robbie. He is Robbie!” He looked at Hank. “Do you need to see the movies? Forbidden Planet or the Invisible Boy? Maybe one of the many shows he was on?”

“His grandfather got him to watch them all and Joel fell in love,” Sara Beth smiled putting her arm around Joel’s waist. “Something Joel’s done the same with Kevin, Jimmy, and Ian. They all love Robbie.”

Joel looked at her surprised, “Don’t you?”

Sara Beth nodded, “I do, but not as much as the Nesmith men!”

Joel frowned, “I hate to do this to you, buddy.” Joel pointed at a wall. “It’ll be a year before our maintenance revival, but we need to secure you.” He touched a switch on the wall and an empty closet opened. “To keep you from floating around when we’re weightless.”

“I understand,” Robbie commented and walked, clumping on the smooth floor, turned and backed into the closet. “I will see you in a year.” His light stopped blinking, his whirring stopped, and his antennas quit moving.

“Can we be here when your boys meets this Robbie?” Hank asked excited.

“Sure,” Joel nodded. “Bring Chloe and Rachel!”

“I can’t wait!” Hank clapped his hands in anticipation. “Could we make another robot?”

“Another Robbie?” Sara Beth asked.

“No!” Hank shook his head. “I’ll give you a hint.” He held his arms in front of him. “Danger, Will Robinson!”

Joel’s eyes widened and pointed at Hank, “I know him! It was better in black and white. The Jupiter 2! Lost in Space.” Joel leaned in to speak more confidently to Hank. “I wasn’t impressed with his name. Robot?”

“That’s who and what he was!” Hank defended.

Joel gave a shrugging nod, “I fell in love with Robbie first, so…”

“Can’t we have both?” Hank argued.

Sara Beth turned Joel toward the door, “Okay, boys. You can play again and discuss it all you want.” She pushed Joel forward. “Later.”

 

They did return to the Stasis Pods and climbed in again. The idea of having Robbie to show his sons…and yes, for himself added an element of excitement. It was nice not to be worried all the time. Robbie was going to be a source of good things for them. He was actually excited that the stasis gas would work if you were distracted, or anxious, relaxed…it didn’t matter! He was glad when the gas worked to put him into stasis. He was worried when he woke again that he hadn’t been put in stasis.

“Athena,” Joel asked. “Was I in stasis?”

“Yes, Commander,” Athena replied.

“Hot damn!” Joel said. He looked over at Sara Beth, “Break out the jar and someone has got to have a quarter and I’ll put one in the jar! I’m looking forward to today!”

Sara Beth laughed and shook her head, “Remember, you have a job to do?”

“Yeah, yeah,” he waved at her. “We’ll do that first and then wake the boys! I can’t wait!”

“Robbie is nothing like a toy,” Sara Beth said knowing otherwise.

“He’s not! Who cares?” Joel bound out of his pod.

 

Joel, Sara Beth, Hank and Rita did their various tasks. Joel and Hank had to force themselves to stay on the tasks and concentrate. The solar system was now behind them and their speed was still being propelled ever faster. There were no problems with the pods or any of the Ark’s residents. The engines were functioning perfectly. Athena was functioning perfectly. Joel was checking the course. Also, there were messages from Earth, questions about conditions, the morale… The delay due to time they got the messages and send a reply made a rapid two-way conversation impossible. Residents of the Ark could and would speak with people from Earth was going to happen when they weren’t in stasis. Joel, Sara Beth, Hank, and Rita had the scheduled maintenance checks, so most of the messages were for them. There were video questions and written questions and he answered both. Roughly, it took a day to get the signal. The greater the distance, the longer it would take. It would take another day for them to get the reply. There was no government they answered to now. Who would force them to comply with any directive? They were Humans composed of many nations and ethnics. Athena received signals but sorted those signals to be sure there was nothing else. There were a few signals they received that had hidden signals underneath. Why? They couldn’t do anything other than what they were doing. Now, it was too late to turn back. Athena could ignore the source of those signals now. They were now about ten billion kilometers (no more miles) from Earth now. The distance would be even greater the next time. Math was never his thing.

Joel could barely contain himself as they got their sons to come out of stasis. Hank and Rita got their two out of stasis.

“Are we there yet?” Jimmy asked doubting they were.

“No,” Joel answered. “I have a surprise for you.”

Kevin looked at his father, “What is it?”

“If I tell you…” Joel shrugged, “I’ll show you! Come on!” He pulled Kevin’s weightless body from his pod. “Come on. You will all love this!”

The smiles on each of their faces were there because their Dad was excited about something. Chloe and Rachel were pestering their parents about what the surprise was and if they knew what it was. Hank was tormenting them both by not answering any question. Hank just smiled more. It had to be a surprise for them too if they were being shown and no one else.

“Athena,” Joel began. “Wake Robbie, please.”

“Waking Robbie,” Athena said calmly.

Entering the Nesmith quarters Joel had everyone wait in the middle of the family gathering room.

“Robbie,” Joel bounced and said, “Come out and say hello.”

The door to the closet opened and Robbie took a step forward, “Hello, everyone.”

The gasps were loud from Chloe, Rachel, Kevin, Jimmy, and Ian. Chloe and Rachel were stepping behind their father. Jimmy’s eyes grew, Ian shrunk behind Joel, Kevin’s eyes grew but the smile on his face said he was almost as excited as Joel.

“How…” Kevin asked.

“He’s so big!” Jimmy said at the same time as Kevin said his how.

Joel held his hand up stopping them, “This is Robbie. He’s been my friend and teacher all my life! He’s a good robot. He would never hurt anyone. He’s been a friend of my sons all of their lives. He has protected my family and been there when I was away.”

“Robots can’t grow!” Kevin objected, then asked. “Can they?”

“You can see he’s Robbie!” Joel said waving at Robbie with both hands. He turned to Robbie. “Tell them something they would know about…” he held his hand up, “Not the sort of thing you told me.”

“Ian Nesmith,” Robbie said turning to Ian who shrank farther behind Joel. “Our last lesson was about numbers. I was teaching you about thousands. We had covered the ones, tens, and hundreds…you feared you couldn’t get them and that you were better at words. You feared you couldn’t grow up to be like your father. I told you truth about that.”

Joel grinned, “About me?”

“You have great knowledge Dad Joel,” Robbie started. “I told Ian you didn’t care for numbers either.”

“Not care? Not like, am no good at,” Joel nodded.

“I tried to be nice,” Robbie said. “I told Ian you were a brilliant man. Your strength was somewhere else. He needed to find his strength.”

Ian was smiling now as he stepped out from behind Joel.

“For Jimmy and Kevin,” Robbie said,’ I will say Richard Granger.” Two pairs of eyes widened at that. Robbie didn’t say more.

“What about Richard Granger?” Sara Beth asked.

“I was sworn to secrecy,” Robbie said. “I don’t know that you know what happened, Kevin, Jimmy.”

Jimmy nodded, “It’s okay. Tell them.”

“Kevin was seven years old,” Robbie explained. “Jimmy was five. Richard Granger was a boy of nine. Jimmy saw his brother being bullied by Richard Granger.”

“What!?” Sara Beth gasped. “Why didn’t you tell me?” She asked her two sons.

“Kevin made Jimmy and I swear not to tell either of you,” Robbie explained. “It was right after that Richard Granger disappeared for the year. Fulfilling my promise, I did not tell you, Dad Joel or Mom Sara Beth.” He turned to Kevin. “I accessed the school’s surveillance, found the incident and sent a copy of where Richard pushed Kevin down and hit him twice to the principal and all the teachers at the school. There is a zero tolerance for fighting and bullying at their school. Richard Granger was expelled for the year, and he had to go to mandatory counseling about the bullying incident or he could not return to school.” Robbie looked at Sara Beth and Joel, “I promised not to tell you until I was released. I had to protect Kevin and Jimmy.”

Sara Beth came over and put her arm around Robbie’s tall shoulder, “Thank you, Robbie.”

Joel was now smiling even bigger, “I knew this was a good idea!” He looked at Ian who still wasn’t sure. Joel knelt down in front of Ian. “This is Robbie. The same robot that watches and keeps you safe at night. I know you were used to Robbie when he was about your size but he’s the same robot. He’s just bigger.” Then Joel frowned, “My feelings for you won’t change when you are as tall as me…if not taller! Get to know him and see he's your friend! I swear it.”

Ian stepped out further from behind Joel, “Do you remember where you left off with the Magic Far Away Tree?”

“Of course, Ian Nesmith,” Robbie teased with his robot voice. “I will also tell you the story of Gulliver’s Travels, there was a problem with size there, too.”

Ian smiled at that, “And you’re going to be with us on our new world?”

“I am going with you and will be with you,” Robbie informed. “I will keep you safe, Ian Nesmith.”

“Just Ian!” Ian said in irritated amusement. “Call my name.”

“Ian Nesmith,” Robbie replied.

“Just Ian!!”

“I will try again, Just Ian,” Robbie knew this game and played it well with Ian.

Ian pointed at Robbie, “You know what I meant!”

“You said that when I wouldn’t say hi Ian to Mom Sara Beth,” Robbie said back.

“That wasn’t what I…” he let out a huff, “You do that on purpose!”

“I do everything on purpose,” Robbie delivered his calm line, but Joel saw the smile on Ian’s face. Yes, Robbie and his sons would be fine.

“Can we get one?” Rachel asked Hank and Rita.

“Robbie will be teaching you schoolwork on the Ark,” Rita informed.

Chloe pointed at Robbie, “He’s going to teach us?” She looked at her father, “What can he teach us?”

“Math, Science, History, Reading, Literature,” Joel explained. “His mind is a computer. He knows Psychology, Sociology, Calculus, Algebra…if he hadn’t tutored me in Algebra you might have a different commander.” He grimaced, “I know math is a universal language, but really?”

Ian took Robbie’s right hand, “Robbie’s very smart!”

“He’s a Nesmith!” Sara Beth said. “He’s one of a kind.”

“He has programmed knowledge,” Chloe said still doubting.

“He also has thirty years of applied knowledge and practice,” Joel explained further. “I turned out alright.”

Hank turned to his eldest daughter, “Afraid he can’t teach you anything useful?”

Rita nodded, “Give him a chance first. You know I work with computers for a living don’t you? The Ark and Athena are a big robot we travel in. Let him try first?”

“Your father suggested another robot,” Joel smiled, “We might try that one next.”

Robbie wasn’t the “real” Robbie, the robot he’d seen. Or was he? To the Nesmiths, he was! He looked, acted, spoke…all like Robbie from the movies and shows. His grandfather had worked as an electrician. He knew Joel loved Robbie in the movies and had the smaller version made as a present. Joel was really in love then. His grandfather had paid attention to details and recreated the star. Not the Human actors, but Robbie. Joel had the big Robbie made to the exact measurements and looks. Athena’s computerized workers built Robbie just right. They loved him. Robotics had advanced. Artificial intelligence had advanced. Emotions were added. Were they too artificial? Maybe, but actions spoke louder than words. Robbie’s actions with Kevin proved to Joel that once again, Robbie was capable of love. He obeyed a seven-year-old child’s directives and did not tell Joel or Sara Beth about the bully. Robbie knew he had to protect Kevin. Because he was programmed to? Maybe, but he sent a copy of the surveillance where Richard Granger had been seen bullying Kevin to the principal and all the teachers. No one told him to do that. That was love! Now there was so much more to love about Robbie!

Joel and Sara Beth asked the Cavills to stay and share a meal with them in the Nesmith’s quarters. The younger Ark residents were now clamoring around Robbie who was making them laugh and proving Robbie could be entertaining. Ian, Joel noticed, wasn’t letting go of Robbie’s hand. Robbie didn’t want his hand back. Ian was Robbie’s special little friend. Robbie felt love for Ian, because you saw it. They would find out that night when Ian went to bed. Joel would direct Robbie to keep Ian safe, like all other nights. Robbie would do that watching over Ian. Sara Beth was right about Robbie being a transitional object. Robbie wasn’t a teddy bear or blanket…you didn’t want to cuddle with him, but he would remain there for Ian.

Joel insisted he get the meal for all of them together. He and Hank assembled the meal and set it out hot for everyone. The trick with what he fixed was all in storage. Chili Verde was a favorite of Joel’s, he knew Hank had loved Chili Verde. Sara Beth and Rita didn’t complain when Joel suggested it. Joel had to add the pork, slicing it into bite-sized pieces. The sopapillas were a simple fried bread that when the sweet honey-butter was added it took the bite from the spicier food. Joel never really understood the bite part. Chili Verde had flavor! His sons loved it. Joel loved the food from Mexico and ate it once or twice a week! Asian food was another favorite. Oh, let’s be honest, he wanted to eat something from all over the world. A world they may have left behind but were taking with them.

Sara Beth almost had to use her “mother’s” tone to get them to the table. “Robbie’s not going anywhere. He wants you healthy and strong. I do, too! That means eat!” She pointed at the table. “Come on.”

Being who he was, Ian always wanted to share with Robbie; that included meals. Joel smiled and asked where would Robbie put it? Robbie got his “meals” when in that closet. His power supply was kept at top levels. His power would last for days and could be easily recharged by Athena or even by a star’s solar power. Joel was now confident that adding Robbie was the right thing to do. His sons, because of Robbie, would be the envy of many on the Ark.

After a good meal, Jimmy and Kevin were asking Joel if they could see Forbidden Planet to show Chloe and Rachel. Joel nodded and let them all watch it again. It was shown like other things shown in the middle of the air. The movie had a three-dimensional effect the original did not. When the Robbie in the movie was seen, Rachel asked, “That’s you, Robbie?”

Robbie didn’t miss a beat, “I can not recall being there. I have seen this many times with Dad Joel before he even became a Dad. I can only surmise my memories were erased. My first memories was when I was activated twenty-eight years ago in Asheville, North Carolina.”

They enjoyed the time, but Hank and Rita took their girls back to their quarters promising to see the Nesmiths when they woke up. Ian had fallen asleep on the couch. Joel went and picked Ian up and began carrying Ian to his room. He turned to his two other sons. They knew Ian got scared sometimes and didn’t mind that Robbie stayed with Ian, “There is a song that says, he sees you when you’re sleeping, he knows when you’re awake, he knows when you’re bad or good, so be good for goodness sake?”

“About Santa Claus,” Kevin nodded.

“Well, that’s Robbie,” Joel said smiling. “He’s linked in with Athena and he will see you tonight. He will watch over all of us tonight including Uncle Hank, Aunt Rita and all of them. That includes the people still in stasis.”

Jimmy’s eyes widened, “Really?”

“Yep,” Joel grinned and went with Sara Beth to Ian’s room. Robbie came right behind them.

Sara Beth and Joel got Ian ready for bed. Ian was old enough to do it by himself…if he was awake. They covered him up and turned the Milky Way Galaxy on for Ian and the stars reappeared and rotated slowly. This time there was some light musical tones.

“Is that a lullaby, Robbie?” Sara Beth smiled at Robbie.

“It is a set of tones proven to…” Robbie began and stopped his analytical report. “Yes, Mom Sara Beth. It is a lullaby Ian knows. It eases his slumber.”

Sara Beth went over to Robbie and kissed the side of his head, “Thank you, Robbie.”

Kissing Ian, Joel and Sara Beth said goodnight to Ian. Joel asked Robbie to watch Ian.

“Watch him as he sleeps. Make sure he’s okay.” Joel instructed Robbie.

“Task entered,” Robbie said softly. “I will watch as he sleeps. I will be sure he is okay.”

“Goodnight, Mom, Dad,” Ian was barely awake, yet added, “Goodnight, Robbie.”

“Goodnight,” Robbie replied and added, “Ian.”

Ian smiled knowing Robbie got his name right. Ian was feeling safe knowing his now big friend would watch over him and drifted off to sleep.

Copyright © 2022 R. Eric; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 12
  • Love 14
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Love the new Robbie and yet was sad to see the smaller one get recycled.

I had a model of the Lost In Space robot as a kid in the late 60s, but have to admit that I liked Robbie more despite him being scarier.  Built ones of the Enterprise and a Klingon ship too, and the Seaview submarine.

Okay, the Ark II tv series was cheesy, but better than the Logan's Run one and just slightly worse than the Planet of The Apes tv show that can still be found on some cable stations.  I won't mention the animated shows that were often made from sci-fi shows as I disliked all of them.

I also liked a trilogy of movies set a couple centuries in the future where a man was revived to live in the new world and had some adventures  with a group called Pax.  Planet Earth, Genesis II and I think Strange New World...the hero had a bad 70s moustache, and one movie had the actor who played Lurch from the Addams Family as an agent for the Pax group.

A lot of good movies then, one being Earth II about an orbiting space station that declared independence and managed to fend off trouble. 

  • Like 1
  • Love 4
Link to comment
7 hours ago, ColumbusGuy said:

Okay, the Ark II tv series was cheesy, but better than the Logan's Run one and just slightly worse than the Planet of The Apes tv show that can still be found on some cable stations.  I won't mention the animated shows that were often made from sci-fi shows as I disliked all of them.

I also liked a trilogy of movies set a couple centuries in the future where a man was revived to live in the new world and had some adventures  with a group called Pax.  Planet Earth, Genesis II and I think Strange New World...the hero had a bad 70s moustache, and one movie had the actor who played Lurch from the Addams Family as an agent for the Pax group.

I remember every one of those shows! I remember the stars and who was the best. Ark II was a great format, but they didn't do alot character development, Gregory Harrison was a great Logan 5 in the series Logan's Run. Truthfully, the written Logan's Run was world wide, there was no City of Domes. The only City of Domes was the orbiting space station that was the real Sanctuary. (Read the series of books if you haven't) The Old Man in the movie was more spry than Peter Ustinov's character. A fit man of sixty was in the book. (Book Worm, that was me.) James Naughton was in the Planet of the Apes series. Okay, I was gay even then. In denial, but gay. I had the biggest crushes on Greg, James, and even Ron Harper. (I fell for it. James Naughton was the brash, good looking astronaut, Ron was the family man, down to earth and blond! You know I don't get very attracted to them.) His mannerisms and values appealed to me. I remember Planet Earth, Genesis II, Strange New Worlds...John Saxon was another crush. (You know Gene Roddenberry had his finger in the pot on some of those. The same actors followed Grandpa Gene wherever he went! Alex Cord! Another mancrush for me! You know, I was married to Robert Urich's characters from Vegas and Spenser for Hire for twenty years, right? In my head I was. We meet in Vegas, I see a crime and he takes me in the Witness Protection and moves us to Boston. Barbara Stock's character was really an agent with the government to make sure our cover story stayed intact. (I have a great imagination!!) It's all true. I saw it!

Love ya! R. Eric 😎💓

  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Link to comment
6 hours ago, R. Eric said:

I remember every one of those shows! I remember the stars and who was the best. Ark II was a great format, but they didn't do alot character development, Gregory Harrison was a great Logan 5 in the series Logan's Run. Truthfully, the written Logan's Run was world wide, there was no City of Domes. The only City of Domes was the orbiting space station that was the real Sanctuary. (Read the series of books if you haven't) The Old Man in the movie was more spry than Peter Ustinov's character. A fit man of sixty was in the book. (Book Worm, that was me.) James Naughton was in the Planet of the Apes series. Okay, I was gay even then. In denial, but gay. I had the biggest crushes on Greg, James, and even Ron Harper. (I fell for it. James Naughton was the brash, good looking astronaut, Ron was the family man, down to earth and blond! You know I don't get very attracted to them.) His mannerisms and values appealed to me. I remember Planet Earth, Genesis II, Strange New Worlds...John Saxon was another crush. (You know Gene Roddenberry had his finger in the pot on some of those. The same actors followed Grandpa Gene wherever he went! Alex Cord! Another mancrush for me! You know, I was married to Robert Urich's characters from Vegas and Spenser for Hire for twenty years, right? In my head I was. We meet in Vegas, I see a crime and he takes me in the Witness Protection and moves us to Boston. Barbara Stock's character was really an agent with the government to make sure our cover story stayed intact. (I have a great imagination!!) It's all true. I saw it!

Love ya! R. Eric 😎💓

sci-fi 50s GIF by Turner Classic Movies

  • Like 5
Link to comment

Thanks for reminding me of the names of the stars from the movies, and the scenario in Vegas was a hoot.

I'm also reminded of a Canadian series I didn't find on dvd until about fifteen years ago called 'Starlost', that was cancelled before it ended.  An 'ark' of various domed habitats was off course and had lost the idea of finding a new home, so each habitat developed its own culture...what there is of it was interesting but got axed over budgetary concerns I think.

I read parts of a Logan's Run book, but I think it was based on the movie as I don't recall any others, and no mention of a space station...it had the famous poster scene as the cover.  Now I'd have to find online versions if you can give me an author or titles?

  • Like 3
Link to comment
11 hours ago, ColumbusGuy said:

I read parts of a Logan's Run book, but I think it was based on the movie as I don't recall any others, and no mention of a space station...it had the famous poster scene as the cover.  Now I'd have to find online versions if you can give me an author or titles?

William Nolan and George Johnson were the authors, the book was published in1967. A sequel was Logan's World, with additional novels published by other authors is Logan's Journey and Logan Falls. Last Day was not on your 30th birthday, but 21! In the book. What Author were you asking about? Do I mention Ron Ely? Another major crush. Tarzan!! You know the censors had a fit about him showing his belly-button. Why? He was born and like everyone has one, even them!! Bunch of book-burning, Bible-thumping self proclaimed know-it-alls who know absolutely nothing. God spoke to them exclusively. Right. (I know something great made us. God or nature, I don't know. I say that to whomever. I don't know!)

I'll get down from my soapbox now. I have writing to do.

Love ya! 💓😎 R. Eric

  • Like 2
  • Love 3
Link to comment

Does anyone remember Buck Rodgers? Loved the show as a kid, and Battlestar Galactica!

  • Like 2
  • Love 2
Link to comment
49 minutes ago, BoyLove said:

Does anyone remember Buck Rodgers? Loved the show as a kid, and Battlestar Galactica!

Of course! Buck Rodgers, Gil Gerard and Erin Gray? He was another mancrush. (I was a horny teenager! I had mancrushes left and right.) He was so hot! Then he got heavier in the last year, but still hot. He was said to have a high IQ! He worked for NASA! Before the acting bug bit him. Battlestar Galactica, Lorne Green, Dirk Benedict, Richard Hatch. Lorne was more than Papa Cartwright! Parnell Roberts. Bite my wrist, that man was in many dreams. There were many of these men in my dreams. My head wasn't crowded. Love ya! 💓🤪 R. Eric

Edited by R. Eric
  • Like 3
  • Love 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..