Jump to content
    R. Eric
  • Author
  • 3,314 Words
  • 3,214 Views
  • 7 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Blueblood 4: Dracula - 25. Transylvania's All Hallows' Eve

I miss you terribly, Daniel. I keep you alive in my heart.

I realized that Dragon had really missed a lot of life. He’d lived a long time, but he didn’t see the world. He didn’t know the world. He was told things about it but didn’t know it. If we did this and were successful, he could get to know it at last.

The others on our team were getting ready to be out with the people for this Halloween. It wasn’t just one night, but three. We knew the attack was going to be the actual night the thirty-first. Things were building up even before that. Anticipation was high for the fun, but for us…it was like watching the clock count down the hours before all hell was going to break. What had been a somewhat busy town or village was now housing a lot more people. Most of these new guests were young; ranging from the early twenties to mid-thirties. Transylvania was gearing up for a wild few nights. Vampires were the theme naturally. There were all the things about vampires hanging around, clusters of garlic and various crosses hung that were ornate. The whole feeling was Gothic but fun! There were going to be witches there, too, but this was Transylvania. Dracula was the featured guest. Bram Stoker’s Dracula, that is. We made sure we had enough of those serum cartridges to give to everyone. The batteries were all charged and ready for the sun guns.

There was a lot of beer, ales, and other alcoholic drinks being brought in. There would be other…things not so legal to be taken those nights to make the user who was having a good time, have an even better time.

We discussed what we were going to do several nights with everyone. There were going to be fifty vampires on the serum out with the partying crowd, yet we knew that was still not enough. With the vampires coming from Thornwood and our English VUN family, the ones on our team and Dragon’s people, we were still going to be short.

Vampire senses allowed those going out there who weren’t vampires to be paired with them and kept safe. Chuck, Mark, Shelly, Stan, and Sorin were given the Disflavor, so they wouldn’t be victims of becoming a vampire, but they could still be hurt or even killed. The vampire detectors would not be needed if they went in pairs. We were feeling the tension.

The 29th, as soon as it became twilight, people began coming out to the town square and were in the taverns and just…roaming the streets. The castle that was Vlad’s…or Dragon’s in the past was going to be crowded as well. The mood of this was spread out all over Romania, but Transylvania was the main focus. Dracula’s Castle was impressive, large and just loomed. As the evening came, the lights began to shine brightly, focused on the castle making it glow. Set on a precipice the view from the main tower, you could see the surrounding countryside to watch approaching enemies. However, now it was for just tourists.

Dragon had made a broadcast telling those that had access to a computer, not to do…whatever Iilya had planned for them to do. It would be all our deaths if they did. Dragon said they were being deceived by Iilya. The problem was, the ones that got the broadcast were not the ones that would be attacking. Those vampires with Iilya, if they checked a computer they had access to, would not really listen. We hoped that maybe a few would see it and rethink this attack.

It was as we went through the crowds in the village square, Dragon was looking at the many “vampires” there in costume. Not one of them was a real vampire, it was just for the next three evenings; these people wanted to be a vampire. There were good costumes and some just had the teeth in their mouths. The skin was lightened to give the pale look. These days were the last of October, so the weather was cold, but there were portable heaters lit and spread about to give some relief. Dragon was looking amazed as there were so many that was loving being a vampire now. He was mystified. He watched as a woman passed by him…her costume was more like Elvira, Mistress of the Dark if you know Cassandra Peterson’s character on TV who hosted a show with those…often very bad movies. This woman had the pushup bra and showed she was well endowed. The real Elvira was funny. I loved her and many of those movies were really corny, but it was fun to watch and hear her crazy comments!

Dragon turned as another vampire…complete with a dark cape, the black tuxedo, and the teeth. Good teeth, too, not those little white plastic ones often worn. “I don’t understand.” Dragon said still looking at all the ones having a good time. “They imitate being a vampire!?” He looked at me. “Why??”

I nodded. “Because it’s fun.” I grinned. “I did the last few years I was a kid. Being a vampire was fun.”

“Fun!?”

Colin nodded. “To escape an otherwise routine and sometimes dull life…school, the burden of bills like rent, car payments and maybe a boss that isn’t very likable…it’s a form of escape from the realities of that life; a fantasy for one night only.” Then Colin gave a nod to the crowd, “…or two more nights for these people.”

“Dracula isn’t you, we know and understand that,” I said. “But Bram Stoker did create a very powerful legend. His portrayal of the vampire was as a villain, but as the decades went; vampires often are shown as lost souls looking for love.” I shrugged. “The vampire has become an anti-hero often; people who want to get their souls back. They are shown as trying to find that special someone that will mean something to them and wants to become that person’s love.”

Colin shrugged. “Well, that is true.” He grinned hugging me. “I was.”

 

The evening progressed, laughter and many voices talking loud to be heard over the noise and there was music! Groups took a podium/stage erected in the square. Dressed again like vampires, the performers played loud and sang, adding to the party mood. There were those that drank a bit much. There were those that got into confrontations with others, be it over a girl or just disagreeing. Around the square were high platforms where cameras were placed to film it all. There were the ones in this crowd, dressed in dark clothes with badges, but had bright yellow vest over the clothes that said, “Poliţia.” Sorin did not have that on, but most of the Poliţia knew him since Sorin was a part of the police enforcement.

As we walked through town, we were all connected by Stan and Buddy. We had the earpieces in and could talk to the others. Not one vampire could be sensed. Colin and I knew this group following Iilya and Lucian were biding their time until Halloween.

 

On Halloween evening, we gathered at the house. The overall feeling was; this was it. Everyone knew that what was going to happen, was going to happen in the next few hours. We really didn’t talk that much as we quietly prepared.

Dragon came over to Colin and me as we were getting ready to head to where Dragon had lived in his underground home for centuries. Checking the serum cartridges and made sure we had plenty, though one shot to the leg would hinder a vampire’s ability to walk. In the arm, they would not be able to wield a weapon well and the sun guns would drive them back.

“Are you sure I shouldn’t go with you?” Dragon asked.

“Gaius will be there.” Colin smiled at Dragon. “You need to be out there with those people. When it does come down and they start attacking, your voice will be needed to try and stop them.”

I picked up a gun. It was a real gun, not a sun gun and made sure I had bullets. I made sure the safety was on and put it in my holster on my chest to the side. “I hate we have to do this,” I said to no one.

Colin came over. “I know.” He said quietly. “We can’t think of an alternative. Iilya must be stopped. He kills and will do it again.”

“I know.” I sighed and nodded without looking at Colin. “And Lucian?”

Colin put his arms around me. “He’s a willing follower. He’s so convinced what we say is a lie, I don’t think he can be reached.” Colin turned me around. “Iilya has given him something he needs. I don’t think Lucian will listen.” He looked out the window as it was getting dark. “We’d better go.” He kissed me gently. “I love you, Devon.”

I smiled. “I know. I love you.”

Colin kissed me again. “I know.”

 

The others were ready as well. Mark was saying things to Stan as they parted for the night. Mark’s usual lighthearted and often hilarious demeanor was not at his usual level. Kissing and hugging Stan, he swore he’d be back and looked at Colin and me.

“Are you sure you don’t need me to go with you to Dragon’s Lair?” Mark attempted his lighthearted joke, but it fell a little short this time.

I hugged him. “No,” I told Mark. “We’ll need people down there who will be able to sense Iilya and any others he brings with him. Some of Dragon’s men will be down with us.” I patted his arm. “We’ll be fine.” I pointed at Dragon. “Stay near him,” I instructed firmly. “Stan doesn't want to lose you.” I smiled. “We don’t want to lose you.” I hugged Stan and ran a hand over his face. “Be careful. You have a sun gun and serum gun?”

Stan nodded. “And an actual gun, just in case.”

I was about to go when Stan grabbed me and hugged me again. “Take care of each other.” He pointed to Colin and then looked at Colin and pointed to me. “You’ve got each other’s six.”

I grinned. “What!? Are we on NCIS!?” I shoved him lightly. “We’ll be back.”

Mom, Willie, Alex, and Gabriella hugged both of us and said the same things. It was Willie that brought me close to him.

“You’re a good man, son.” His voice a little heavy with emotion as he hugged me and even gave me a kiss on the forehead. “Colin said I was a father to him. He means a lot to me, but you are my son as well. I love you both. I owe you and Colin everything. Be careful.”

He really meant what he said. I could hear it in his voice. I hugged him again. “Thanks, Dad.” I looked at Mom. “Watch each other.”

 

Along with two of the men that had been with Dragon, Gaius, Colin and I headed toward the caverns where Dragon had lived. Colin held my hand a while as we walked quietly toward the caverns, but soon he put his arm around me bringing me closer as we walked.

In spite of what we said about it going to come out well…there was a chance that we could be hurt; even killed if we let our guard down. I was determined not to let my guard down.

 

In the cavern, we gathered near what had been Repetate’s and Iustina’s cell…we sat and waited. No one had much to say right now. Time just seemed to crawl. It was just…quiet.

It was about five minutes until eleven o’clock when Colin suddenly sat up. Gaius tilted his head and then I felt it. Someone else was down here. My sensing other vampires were not as strong as theirs. I felt the two vampires that came with us and Gaius, but now…there were others. Several others were down here with us and my heart began to pound. This was it. The sound of hard soles on the cavern floor got louder. There was no need to hide, they could sense us as we did them, but from the sound, there were more than a few. Iilya was leading a group of six others. What I saw made me feel…he was dressed like a Soviet Military man! An officer with the grayish blue double-breasted coat, the belt around his waist and even that grey fuzzy hat. Behind Iilya was Lucian dressed in black, but no uniform. The other men were also dressed in various clothes…all black. There was that dress code again.

Colin rose from his chair. “Iilya, you do know the Soviet Union is gone, right?”

Iilya smiled again and just as he did when we first met him. There was little humor in his smile or eyes. “Where are they?” He asked taking his leather gloves off and waved the gloves at the empty cell.

I got closer to Colin. “Your senses should tell you they are not here…or anywhere else in these caverns.”

“They were taken to Manhattan with Dr. Holms,” Colin said. “We had to get them safe from you.”

Iilya nodded and stepped slowly forward. “They’re killers.”

“So are you,” I said.

“I kill to stay alive.” Iilya pointed out, but not too defensively. “They are what started all this….according to you.”

“Why would we lie about that?” Colin asked. “Use your senses, but also use your minds. We have evidence.”

Iilya nodded and did a slow turn looking at the others. “Evidence you would show me, but tell me what I’m looking at.” He shook his head as he pointed in the air. “No…I won’t believe it.”

“Lucian.” I had to try and reach him. “You are not stupid.” I waved at Gaius. “He was…what you are now! Look at him!!” I waved at the other two of Dragon’s men. “You’ve known them! Look! They are not like you are now anymore. How is that a lie?”

“I’m human, Lucian,” Gaius said softly. “I am a human that got that…” he shook his head, “…venom, just like you have. It’s a physical condition that these men are doing something to try and cure us.”

“Can’t you believe your own eyes?” I pointed at Gaius and the other two. “You can sense, I am a vampire. Colin is a vampire and so are they! We’re not lying. Please.” I begged.

Lucian was looking…well…he was shaking his head, but as I asked him to. He couldn’t ignore what he saw. “Iilya?” He asked the big Russian hesitantly. “You said Gaius was a hoax; that they’d done someth…”

“Shut up, Lucian,” Iilya said sharp and terse.

I nodded. “Oh, I see. When we brought Gaius to meet Dragon that time…we’d done something to trick you? Watch this…” I went to the cooler and opened it.

“Stop!” Iilya demanded.

“Why?” I asked. “I’m simply going to show Lucian it isn’t a lie.” I reached into the cooler and pulled out one of the many sandwiches we’d brought due to Colin’s huge appetite.

“I said stop!” Iilya said again moving closer to me more rapidly, but Gaius pulled out his serum gun and fired at Iilya’s leg causing Iilya to stumble and lower to the floor. Lucian jumped startled and rushed to Iilya’s side.

Iilya was inhaling as his eyes widened grasping his leg as pain shot through his leg. Colin pulled his serum gun out and so did the others before any of Iilya men could reach us stopping them.

“We’ve got plenty more; come on!” Colin urged doing that thing with your hand when you were waving someone forward. “He’s in a lot of pain.” He pointed at Iilya. “Want to share the pain?”

Lucian was trying to help Iilya, but Iilya was shoving him off. “Don’t be stupid, Lucian, they are lying!!”

“Really?” I asked waving the meaty sandwich toward them. “Would you like some? We’ve got plenty of them.”

Waving food in front of them. Like Willie did when he was first brought to the VUN and Colin and I ate with him, there were looks of revolution on their faces as they backed up a little.

“You knew him as a vampire!” I handed the sandwich to Gaius who bit into the sandwich and began munching. “See? He’s eating it!”

Gaius grinned and rubbed his hand over his mouth as juice spilled out. “Delicious.” Now the tension was lessened. “I’ve got to get Eva to make more.” He said and swallowed. “Good roast beef.”

“It’s a lie!” Iilya shouted, but Lucian was wavering.

“How is that a lie, Lucian?” I asked as loud. “You saw him eat and he enjoyed it! How can he lie about that? The problem is, when we brought Gaius down, having him here could have been a lie. We didn’t have him prove while you were here. Look!!” I looked at Iilya. “The only lies have been yours!”

Lucian was moving away from Iilya. “What lies?”

“He lied to you!” I said pointing at Lucian. “He used you. I don’t know who bit him, but…there is no magic about being a vampire. He wanted to get down here and meet Dragon. He wanted to be a part of Dragon’s empire here. The only way to do that was though you.” I looked at Iilya. “What do you want Repetate and Iustina for?”

“They’re power,” Iilya grunted still in pain.

Colin nodded as he came closer. “Power you wanted because of the venom we told you about.”

“But Dragon never let them out,” I added. “He loved those two and so do I!” I nodded. “Yes, they killed. They were doing what they were created for. You had a choice!” I said. “Like these men here…they didn’t feed on people. They needed blood. They found how to get the blood without killing anyone! You admitted you did to stay alive. No one has to die!” I looked at Lucian. “I don’t know what happened to you, but…did he tell you he loved you? Do you believe he does?”

Lucian looked at Iilya now very uncertain. “But it’s wrong.” He said softly.

I smiled nodding. “Who told you it was wrong? Priests?” Then I asked softer. “Your father?” I saw Lucian had emotional pain as he remembered.

“It’s not wrong.” Gaius said simply. “I’ve loved a few men myself.” He said casually. “A human being seeks companionship with another human being. It’s what we do. Who cares what the gender is?”

I smiled at Gaius. “You told me that before.”

“I’ve loved one man for centuries.” He shrugged. “I still do.”

Colin looked at Gaius. “Dragon?”

Gaius nodded. “We’ve been off and on for centuries.” He held up his finger. “I loved Nicholae’s mother, but Dragon and I…have an understanding.”

“No!” Iilya said again and reached to his side. “The venom was to make us powerful, I won’t…” he pulled a sidearm, but was still shaking from pain, he pointed the gun at Colin and fired.

Watching Colin grab his left side and stagger, without even really thinking, I pulled my gun from its holster and fired, but my hand was steady and the bullet went right through the middle of Iilya’s forehead. I turned quickly to Colin who was holding his arm.

“Colin!” I said rushing to my husband who was grimacing in pain.

He smiled even though I knew he was hurting. “It’s a flesh wound.” He chuckled. “I’ve been shot a few times. I’ll be okay.”

Hugging him to me, I turned to Lucian and raised the gun, pointing it at him. “Well? Do you want to go with Iilya? Or do we talk now? No lies.”

Copyright © 2017 R. Eric; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 39
  • Love 10
  • Wow 3
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

I was wondering why you hadn’t posted any new chapters, but thought you had been distracted by your new story! Now I realize it’s because you wanted to publish it on Halloween (at least in my time zone)! I wonder if there’s been any other chaos outside the caverns…  ;-)

Link to comment
6 minutes ago, droughtquake said:

I was wondering why you hadn’t posted any new chapters, but thought you had been distracted by your new story! Now I realize it’s because you wanted to publish it on Halloween (at least in my time zone)! I wonder if there’s been any other chaos outside the caverns…  ;-)

I had planned it that way.  The next chapter is coming about what's happening in town.  Time zones.  Yes, my mind has been in Makarovia.  Back to that.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
2 minutes ago, R. Eric said:

Yes, my mind has been in Makarovia.  Back to that.

Even if you don’t use my ideas, I hope that others will see what I’ve written and do some research of their own and learn more about the diversity of the LGBTQ community!  ;-)

Link to comment
8 minutes ago, droughtquake said:

Even if you don’t use my ideas, I hope that others will see what I’ve written and do some research of their own and learn more about the diversity of the LGBTQ community!  ;-)

I've used many of your ideas!  You were the one to steer me to the Creids in Cinderfella 2!  The redheads!  (Maybe I shouldn't told everyone that.  Oh, well, too late.)  Enter.

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment

Great job with this chapter. I wonder now that Iilya is dead from a gun shot in the head if his threat is now over, especially when Gaius has seen the proof that everything was a lie spewed by Iilya. I hoped that the sidearm that Devon carried wouldn't be needed since I wasn't sure if he'd be able to use it if need be, but I was wrong because when Iilya shot Colin Devon reacted and was able to neutralize the threat. I believe the only threat now is from the vampire hunters that were going to be showing up to kill the vampires. Hopefully now everyone can relax and enjoy the festival surrounding Bram Stokers Dracula, since that's the vampire legend that made Transylvania and Romania famous. 

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment

Great story, have loved all the books so far.

 

However, 

 

'He kissed me gently.  “I love you, Mitch.”

           I smiled.  “I know.  I love you.”

           Colin kissed me again.  “I know.”'

 

You're so prolific,  that other characters  are popping up in your story! 

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Quote

Dragon was looking amazed as there were so many that was loving being a vampire now.

‘…there were so many who were loving being a vampire now.’

Quote

I smiled nodding. “Who told you it was wrong? Priests?” Then I asked softer. “You’re father?” I saw Lucian had emotional pain as he remembered.

‘You are father?’ doesn’t make sense. It should be ‘Your father?’ It’s a rookie mistake…  ;–)

Edited by droughtquake
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..