Jump to content
    R. Eric
  • Author
  • 4,397 Words
  • 3,125 Views
  • 6 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Blueblood 4: Dracula - 17. Proof

In memory of my Daniel. He lives forever!

Dr. Petran didn’t even look shocked. Perhaps like many here in this part of the world, knowing about the reality of vampires was accepted, just not spoken about so openly. “You become vampires.” Like with many others, it wasn’t a question.

I saw her face and saw she was still struggling with it. “Take your time,” I said smiling. “We get this sort of reaction in every country.”

“You were out in the day time when you were attacked.” She said, still working it out in her mind. “You were injured pretty severely. None of these things are questioned, but it’s not the accepted…way things are supposed to be.”

“We aren’t like the stories or myths.” George came closer. “Long story short...” He said sighing. “Vampires are not like in stories. We have a venom that’s in our systems that make us vampires. Other than the fangs, drinking blood and can only come out a night, that’s where it ends. I’ve never known one like in any of the stories. We aren’t evil.”

“And none of the creepy music, I’m sorry to say.” I groused. “George, you and this lovely doctor can exchange the how and when of vampire science about us and this serum, but I really need to see Colin,” I said about to get up.

George nodded. “Of course, you do.” He came over to the bed and was about to help me get up.

“Hold it!” Dr. Petran said urgently. “You lay this bombshell on me and want to leave the room!? I’d say what you just told me deserves more information. I have questions.”

George looked at me and smiled. “We did sort of give her a bomb.”

“Yes, George, but my husband was shot,” I said. “I wake up and you know I want to see him. He had surgery, I had a bullet removed. It’s he's coming to me or I'm going to him, but I’m seeing him.” I lifted the sheet and saw the gown. “Now, I need at least underwear to wear under this gown or I’ll go bare-assed to his room which I don’t know where that is, but you know I will find him.”

George chuckled. “Yes, I know you would.”

That’s when my mother came rushing in. “There he is.” She said coming to hug me which she did. “I was by yesterday and you were still unconscious. I’m so glad you’re okay!” She said and proceeded to cover my face with kisses.

“I’m okay, Mom.” I waved to the doctor who was now staring with wider eyes than before. “Dr. Petran…this is my mother Betty Kalin. She’s one of us, too.” Then Willie came in. “Hi, Dad!” I waved to him. “And this is my stepfather Willie Kalin!” I nodded. “Or I should say, William. He’s a vampire, too.”

Mom stood up a little more from the hug a bit startled that I said it so casually. “What are you doing?”

I waved at the doctor. “She’s an MD, Mom. She saw the anomalies in Colin’s and my blood work. We told her what that was…she knows.”

Mom looked at me less surprised and then at Dr. Petran. “Oh.”

George nodded. “That’s why I was the doctor on record before.” He shrugged. “But when I was shot as well…” he said lightly asking how it could be avoided.

I patted my mother on the arm. “Now, I’m going to see Colin.”

“But you’ve just woken up!” Mom said.

I nodded. “I feel fine.” I moved my shoulder. “Sore, but fine.” I looked at the doctor. “One of the first things is to get the patient up and moving, well, I’m moving,” I said with resolution. “Either help me or knock me out so I won’t, but I’m seeing my husband.” I saw the tube that was connected to my arm and the IV that was feeding fluids in my system.

Dr. Petran looked worried a bit more. “You just had surgery to remove the bullet less than twenty-four hours ago. Your husband has, too. We didn’t have enough room in the room he is in, but Colin’s surgery was more invasive; therefore his recovery would be longer.”

George nodded. “There are things that are…unusual for us. We heal a lot faster than regular people. Magnify the healing process by two. Devon’s surgery was less than twenty-four hours ago, but he’s healed two days’ worth. That I can guarantee without even looking. In a week there will be two weeks’ worth of healing.”

“We are essentially hosts for the venom.” Mom explained to Dr. Petran. “We live for the venom if we didn’t have the serum. It wouldn’t due to have a host that couldn’t hunt. The venom causes us to heal more rapidly and not get sick. If we didn’t have the serum, we’d be nearly mindless predators.”

I waved at all of them. “Yes, yes…more about the science of what we are later,” I said feeling the urge to see Colin even greater. “Either get me something to haul this IV with me, take it out or I will. I’ve got to see Colin!” I stressed harder.

Dr. Petran had to shake herself from her natural curiosity and finally heard me. “Yes, of course.” She rose. “I’ll get you some scrub pants and a wheelchair.” She went to retrieve what I needed.

Scooting to the side of the bed, I looked at George. “When I saw you last, you were shot in the arm. How is it?”

George nodded and pulled his shirt down to show his upper arm where he’d been shot. “Healing very well.” He smiled. “We should have planned for this sort of thing.”

“George,” I said with a sigh. “We knew there was a possibility you could be incapacitated. You were shot.”

George nodded. “Yes, but my field backup was you.” He said. “We need more people.”

I waved at the door to my room. “Which we may have right here with Dr. Petran.”

“I suppose Sorin Dulca saw you?” George asked.

I nodded. “Just before Dr. Petran came in.”

“What did you sense from him?” George asked.

“Why are you asking me?” I asked. “I’m not a psychic. I don’t claim to be any authority on human behavior or trustworthiness.”

Mom touched my face. “Honey, you’re instincts are very good, now answer George’s question.”

I frowned. “I’m not sure,” I said honestly. “I sense he could be an ally, but he’s a very practical man. He’ll be hard to win over unless we show him the evidence and he’ll want evidence he can see for himself.” I looked at George. “We’re more public than we’ve ever been before,” I said to them. “We’re talking about it over the Internet. One day, it will come out that there are real vampires in the world.” I looked hesitantly as Lena came in pushing a wheelchair and a pair of those paper scrub pants used in medical circles now. Paper scrubs were the best as they were disposable. The pole on the side of the chair was for the IV. “We may be faced with that soon.”

George groaned. “I know.”

“It’s not going to be like all those shows on TV,” I said. “We have to be careful.”

Putting the pants on in a way all guys know how, revealing his ass for a split second while he pulls them up while the gown covers anything else. I wasn’t worried about it. My mother changed me as a baby and the rest were guys and Lena was a nurse, so no problem. Besides, someone undressed me to put this gown on me, for all I knew, it was her! “Later, George,” I said as I pulled the IV down and hooked it to the pole. “Colin. Now!” I waved again to the door.

Going through the hospital I could see that the hospital was indeed old, but as I said before, it was clean. No matter what country or language the duties and responsibilities of medical personnel was the same. They watched various computer monitors for patients and did other…medical duties. I was taken to an elevator and one floor down.

Finally, I was wheeled into a room where there were four beds. All four had people recovering from having had surgery within that day, but I knew which one was Colin. I should have known he was aware as soon as we entered to room. He practically sat up but struggled due to his injuries.

“Devon!” He said as his eyes lit up.

Forget the IV, I was out of the chair and practically pulled the IV out as I rushed to his prone body on his right side to avoid furthering any injury and I was pulled into a kiss he was all too ready to give back. He almost consumed me as I did with him. Colin was always sexy, but even now a day or two without shaving, he was still sexy to me. I felt his hands go over me as he took me in visually and physically, inventorying me to see if I was all there. I was doing the same thing with him. “I was so worried about you.” I said softly as our mouths were near each other’s’ ears as we embraced. “I could have lost you.”

Colin began wiping my face where I hadn’t known I was crying. “You didn’t.” He said assuring me. “Thanks to you.” He shook his head. “I couldn’t do a thing for you.”

“In a few more centuries, I might consider letting you go, but I don’t think so,” I said. “I’m just glad you’re alive and I’m determined to keep you alive.”

Dr. Petran came in behind us and heard us as she spoke with George more. “You were very fortunate, Mr. Wentworth.” She chuckled. “Since you’re both Wentworths, I say you are fortunate, Devon. The bullet passed through Colin Wentworth but nicked your Brachial Artery. You bled out very quickly and needed some transfusion, which I wouldn’t think possible...since…” she looked at the others in the room. “…what you told me about. That’s why we operated as we did on you.”

I looked at the other patients there. Most of them were asleep, but there were a few guests or family and Colin and I were being watched as he nor I gave a single thought about what they’d think about two men kissing like that. I looked up to see a late middle-aged woman sitting by the bed of some male, but her frown told me she didn’t approve of what she saw.

I chuckled as I broke off with Colin. “No matter what country it is, some just don’t approve,” I whispered to Colin.

Colin looked over and smiled. “If she knew the whole truth about us, she would be even more shocked.”

I grinned as we touched foreheads. “Well, we don’t want to scare the straights too much.”

“People scare too easily,” Colin said kissing me again unashamed.

Dr. Petran came over and smiled. “I hate to interrupt, but…let’s see how you’re doing, Colin.” She stopped. “I can call you Colin, can’t I? If nothing more than to keep the two of you separate.”

Colin nodded with a shrug. “It’s my name.”

She nodded and went over and pulled his covers back and took the tape off carefully to pull the dressing away and nodded at what she saw. “You were correct, the healing I see is happening pretty quickly.”

Colin looked at her and then looked at me.

I nodded to his unasked question. “She’s a doctor.” I offered quietly. “She saw our blood work. She knows.”

“Oh,” Colin said simply as he looked at her. “What are your plans with this knowledge?”

Dr. Petran shook her head. “I have no plans.” She said shrugging. “I’m a doctor. What plans would I make? You’re all not threats, as far as I know of.” She nodded. “I can’t argue with what I’ve seen.” She looked at me. “You are prepared to show me more?”

“You mean, show you real vampires?” I said hesitantly. “We can explain how it started, but will you trust us to do something to keep you safe?”

“By doing what?” She asked.

George walked closer. “I came up with a serum for you as well…” he looked at the surrounding others. “…those like you who aren’t what we are.” He pulled on his ear as thought about what he needed to do. “All of the people with us are not…what we are. They take this serum to make them not a target.”

I chuckled. “You won’t be on the menu.”

She looked surprised. “Do I ask if it’s safe?”

George nodded. “You can ask Stan, Mark, Shelly, and Chuck. They haven’t shown any ill effects.”

“We need to speak more freely.” Dr. Petran said as she looked up and Lena. “He’s healed enough to be moved. We’ll put Colin and Devon in a room together.”

There was a little mayhem while we got settled, but my time there was only to be a couple of more days if there were no complications. That also meant that Dr. Petran wouldn’t see her “proof” until Colin and I were released. Colin insisted that he was allowed to take her to Dragon.

I had never been shot before. Colin had been shot before back in the 19th Century, not that either of us wanted to have one up on the other about that. We were put in a semi-private room and that allowed more visitors. Gabriella and Alex came to check on us, as did Chuck, Shelly, Mark, and Stan. The nightly patrols of the town and surrounding countryside were still done. It was Stan that came with Mark and he gave us the latest findings.

“…still no sightings of the other vampires in the area,” Stan said sighing. “I did some research on Sorin Dulca. He will be difficult to shake. He has a reputation for getting things done.” Then he sighed. “And now…another potential threat has surfaced.”

Colin’s eyebrow rose. “Another threat?” He asked. “To us?”

“To vampires as a whole.” Stan corrected. “There has been a lot of activity surrounding our broadcasts with Dragon. Many are trying to find where it’s coming from.” He looked up suddenly, “Which would be difficult to do, as I’ve bounced the broadcast using Buddy around the world. It is nearly impossible for someone to track it here.”

“Nearly impossible,” I repeated. “But not impossible.”

Stan nodded. “I have Buddy putting out false breadcrumbs to lead to other sites and countries and that’s why I say it’s nearly impossible to track us.”

“Who is this threat?” Colin asked.

“Buddy’s trying to locate them as they are trying to locate us,” Stan explained.

“They think they’re…modern versions of Van Helsing.” Mark griped.

“Van Helsing? Abraham Van Helsing? From the book Bram Stoker wrote?” I asked. “Vampire hunters?”

“Bram Stoker or those vampire hunters in the Blade series…whatever,” Mark said.

“They call themselves the Vampire Death Squad,” Stan reported. “They claim four kills so far.”

“Have they located us?” Colin asked.

“Not yet.” He shook his head. “But they are doing what we did. They’ve made a broadcast.” He patted his laptop.

“You have it,” Colin said simply. “Show us.”

Stan opened his laptop and tapped his mousepad and an image came up. The face had a garish clown mask on, in a dimly lit place and his voice was synthesized. There was no accent or anything to tell how old he was or what country he was from. “This is a warning.” The voice said angrily. “For all you vampires…and yes, we know you are vampires. I and my brothers and sisters have seen your kind before. Those out there that think this new group is the answer to your problems…think again. We know what you are. We hunters and vowed to rid the world of you and your kind. Each of us in my group has lost a person to one of you and have promised those members of family, friends, and lovers to get rid the world of all of you. We will succeed. If you stay hidden…you will do better. To those of you that sent that message…telling the world that you are here and will liberate others…you’re time on Earth is limited. We will find you. We will kill you.” He nodded. “This is your only warning.”

My eyes widened as I watched. When it was done Colin and I just looked at each other. “Well, that was certainly dramatic.”

“I think it was to scare us back into the darkness,” Colin grumbled. “That’s not going to happen. They have been around for centuries and failed.”

“How serious is this threat?” I asked Stan.

“Serious enough to rival my talents with the computer,” Stan said hesitantly. “As I did, they’ve covered their own tracks leading me around the globe. Whatever group they are from, they have some smart people.”

“There’s no way to track it any more than they can track us,” Colin said shaking his head.

Stan shook his head. “I’ve had Buddy working on things…like the background…be it noises in the background, things around them to give us some idea of where they’re from. They were careful not to leave anything.”

Colin nodded. “It’s a big world.” He shrugged. “Could they have been the ones that attacked us? Or were we just blaming Iilya?”

“Until we capture one and ask him…we won’t know.” Mark said solemnly. “I think it was Iilya and Lucian who knew where to have these men waiting and when. You were assaulted. That much is clear. Who they are, we have to question them.”

“You guys are way out of any jurisdiction you would have in the United States.” Colin pointed out. “We can’t just take someone off the street and question them.”

“Which is why we need to include Sorin Dulca when we show Dr. Petran,” I said quietly.

“And what if he doesn’t go for it?” Colin asked. “What if he turns against us?”

I shook my head. “One look at the real deal and he can’t go against us. One look at Iustina and Repetate, he’ll be convinced.”

Colin shook his head and put his head back as he sighed. “Now, we’re not only avoiding police. We’re coming against other vampires and now this Vampire Death Squad.”

“Which is why we need help,” I said again. “We need to move quickly to get Sorin Dulca on our side and Dr. Petran.” I looked at Stan. “Where is Gaius? I hope Dragon understands what happened.”

“He told Dragon what happened to you,” Stan reported.

I shook my head. “We wasted a whole night with Dragon. He’ll have to start his treatment again.”

Mark nodded. “He knows.” He smiled. “Of course, you can do it and show this doctor and investigator how it’s done and what it will be like.”

 

I was discharged before Colin, but only by a day or so. Dr. Petran was amazed by the rate of recovery and I was, too. George was right. We did recover quickly. Mom was right as well. We did live for the venom, but with the serum, that table was turned. Now, the venom worked for us.

Sorin Dulca was a man that knew what he was doing. He came several times questioning both Colin and myself.

The day Colin was discharged, Colin looked at the inspector seriously. “If you really want to know what’s going on…how about we show you?”

Sorin looked at us with caution. “So, there is more than just the translating going on.”

Colin looked at Sorin as I helped him get his shirt on. He was healing just fine, but was still sore on his left side, and being his husband, I naturally helped. “Do you want to know? We’re showing Dr. Petran also.” Sorin looked more cautious. “We could really use your help, Inspector, but you need to trust us.”

Sorin was going over it in his mind, but if this led him to the answers…

“Do you want to help us?” Colin asked. “We aren’t doing anything to hurt anyone. In fact, we’re doing all we can to help people. There is more than the world can even guess exist in the world.” Colin looked at Sorin more directly. “At first, it will only be you and Dr. Petran. Do you agree?”

Sorin nodded. “Okay. What do I need to do?”

Colin smiled. “Meet us at our house in Transylvania tonight, two or three hours before sunset.”

 

I suspected Sorin Dulca would cover his tracks. I told Stan this as well and asked him to have a scan of any frequencies or possible transmissions he could send anywhere.

“I can do one better!” Stan said brightly and handed me what looked like the translation devices we carried. “This will jam whatever he has on him to track his own movements. Just stay with him and nothing will get through.”

I grinned at him. “You are an amazing man, Stan.”

He shrugged. “I try.” Then he patted the CPU. “Buddy makes it easier.”

“Buddy only works when you work him. Don’t sell yourself short.” I grinned. “You’re the talent, not Buddy,” I said making Stan smile.

 

Dr. Petran arrived after Sorin Dulca apologizing for being late. “Sorry, I had a late consultation regarding a patient.”

Colin smiled with a nod. “You’re a doctor. Those duties are understood.” He waved at the sky that was getting darker. “But we better go.”

We all began our walking through the dark forest to the underground where Dragon and the others were. And Sorin was looked puzzled at where we were going, but this was a large group of people going. Reaching the entry for the underground, he stopped looking at what was a large crack in the hillside.

“We’re to go in there?” Sorin asked.

Colin nodded. “To see the truth. Yes.” He looked at Sorin. “You can go first or I can; whatever we need to do to win your trust.”

Sorin was judging Colin carefully to see if Colin was being sincere. “Do I have a choice?”

“Sure you do.” Colin nodded. “Trust us or not. That’s your choice.” He walked in front of him and entered the passageway.

The truth about what we were and where we were was hitting Sorin now more as he saw the steps even out and then become more level and the torch lit way cast its eeriness over where we were. Dr. Petran was not as surprised, but still wary. It wasn’t long before we came again to the large chamber where Dragon and the dozen of his men and women were gathered.

Dragon rose from his chair in the center of them. “Welcome Dr. Petran and Inspector Dulca. I am the one they call Dragon. I lead these people you see here.”

Sorin was a little shaken by what he was seeing and his guard was coming up as he was not quite reaching for the gun he always carried holstered at his chest for easy reach. “What is this? Who are you?” It was creepy down here.

Colin stepped in front of Inspector Dulca to stop him from doing what we feared he might, but him having the gun was his security. We let him keep it. “They are as we are…they’re vampires.”

Sorin was backing away as his eyes grew, never doubting for a moment they were what Colin said they were. “That…that’s impossible!”

Even Dr. Petran stood in front of Dragon to keep Inspector Dulca from shooting. “I’ve seen the blood work. They have something…this could be it.”

Dragon chuckled. “We can prove it.” He said smiling and then hissed and showed the fangs that had come out smelling the human blood.

Now Sorin was about to pull his gun out, but I stopped him. “You don’t have to worry about these vampires,” I said calmly. “They are no threat to you.”

“You can’t be vampires!” Sorin said backing away more but stopped by Chuck and Mark. “You were out in the day time.” He looked at Colin. “I saw you eat! A lot!”

I nodded. “He does.” I grinned.

Colin nodded. “Because I’ve been treated.” He waved at Mark and Chuck. “They aren’t vampires at all, but safe here.”

George walked up. “And I can give you the same protection they’ve got.” He said. “But you need to see the whole truth.” He pulled out a vial he had in his leather doctor’s bag. “Do I give this to you?” He shook the vial of liquid. “It removes you from being a target.”

Dr. Petran was staring at the others with Dragon and was finally accepting the truth. “They are vampires.” She said fully accepting what she was seeing as she rolled up her sleeve. “Do it.” She said to George who nodded and prepped her for the Disflavor.

“This is fiction!” Sorin said firmly. “This can’t be real.”

Willie chuckled. “It’s very real.”

“There have been thousands of victims over the millennia. Almost every one of these people are victims.” George explained as he finished giving Dr. Petran her Disflavor. “No more than you would be if you were attacked by one of these or others that are vampires. There are vampires in every country. There is a hidden populace that needs help.”

Colin nodded. “We’re willing to show you the whole truth, but you need protection. I’ll give you the names and numbers of others in the United States and England that know what we are and are helping. They also were shown and are willing to help.

“We can’t do this alone, Inspector,” I said. “We don’t want to break laws, but we have to sometimes to do what is needed.” I waved at the other vampires with Dragon. “These vampires can control their hunger and only feed on the blood of livestock. We will show you vampires that can’t and tell you how it started, but only if you take the Disflavor.”

Colin grinned. “You wanted the truth.” He said. “Here it is and we’ll show you all we have including the source of many.”

Copyright © 2017 R. Eric; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 35
  • Love 13
  • Wow 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Another great chapter. I'm glad that Colin and Devon have made a full recovery after being shot. I hope that Dr Petran and Sorin Dulca take the disfavor and then they can see where the vampire epidemic started. It'll be interesting to see what happens next, at the same time I'm wondering if this vampire hunting group can be a real problem if they actually find the group before Stan and Buddy find them and get information on the members of the group. I believe that if Stan can get the information needed to keep the hunters from finding the group from the United States. I can't wait for the next chapter or chapters to see what happens next. 

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment

I missed my Devon ans was worried about him ... I love the fact that things are moving on even with the leader out of action. Mum I love ... I like the Doctor but worry about the inspector.... also what is it witht he Van Helsing wannabees?

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment

I’m happy to see you back!  ;-)

 

 

I see a pattern here, they try to acquire new allies even while you introduce them to new enemies!  ;-)

Link to comment

the torch lit way casted it’s eeriness over where we were  

the torch lit way cast its eeriness over where we were - correct tense of the verb and proper punctuation for the possessive pronoun

It wouldn’t due to have  - It wouldn’t do to have - homonym.

Edited by Will Hawkins
  • Haha 1
Link to comment

I’m beginning to think that @R. Eric is really a Makarovian immigrant who speaks English as a second language – he could be an adopted Makarovian orphan. Or maybe his mother was the Makarovian and she married a Scottish immigrant. Either of these would explain his struggles with tenses, the frequent dropped articles, and his confusion over homonyms!  ;–)

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..