Jump to content
    R. Eric
  • Author
  • 3,553 Words
  • 3,112 Views
  • 11 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Blueblood 4: Dracula - 32. Cause and Effect

I love you forever, Daniel.

The situation with the RIS was getting…complicated. The caverns Dragon founded and built weren’t that far out of town, but it was rocky and wooded and undeveloped, but there were search parties that came through looking for clues. Dragon and his men were prepared. They had become adept at hiding for centuries. Every heavy foot traveled path was taken care of. We had shipments of food at night, but that didn’t mean we couldn’t be found. We had to get these people home. The longer we held them, the harder it would be to explain their return. We had moved the CPU for Buddy to a portion of the cave and Stan rigged up something…with a cord and a little satellite dish. It was tiny and almost cute! But we had a signal! We did get in touch with George, Dr. Hathaway and had Dr. Petran all on a call by computer. A four-way video call and with Stan’s, and Buddy’s help, it was secure. Colin and I were the only ones together sitting on a couch talking on a laptop set far enough away so both of us were seen on the same screen. There was some arguing amongst our learned friends.

“…you have screenshots of the venom and serum.” Dr. Hathaway said into her screen. “I agree with what Agent Cojoc said. Being as honest as possible is best. Cover-ups are hard to keep up with. George, you do have the formula for the serum and you have the chemical diagram for the venom. Show that, but just don’t say what it does or even call it venom…don’t directly say what it is.”

George nodded. “The venom doesn’t last long enough outside a body to show anyone.”

“Show what you have. Show the recorded images and footage of what you have. Live examples could be gotten as you have those two Old Ones.” Dr. Hathaway said. “You’ve got excellent documentation on the venom and serum and the chemical breakdown.”

“Yes,” George said trying for them to see the awesome task he was carrying. “There are parts of the venom even I can’t identify yet and I’ve studied it for over fifty years!”

“Show that and tell them what you do know!” Dr. Hathaway urged. “You’ve carried this alone for decades. You’re branching out; let us handle some of the burdens. You are a brilliant man, George, but you carried this alone for decades. If something… God forbid…happens to you, we’ll have to start over!?”

“I have notes!!” George defended.

“Notes that will be in detail, I know, and it will take several people with advanced medical degrees to go through them for years!!” Dr. Hathaway said emphatically. “I could only grasp the basics of what you showed me and I have three PhDs!”

“They will insist on knowing what the venom does!” George said a little in protest.

“What it does; is kill.” Dr. Petran said simply. “At best, the victim becomes someone that is a part of a continual line of contagious weapon because that venom the makes a victim who survives into a killer! You came up with a way to prevent victims from furthering that line of contagion as a weapon. You have the evidence and you have a treatment. Proven in fact!” She argued. “If these learned minds figure it out on their own what it really does, fine!” She said a little hotly.

“This risk of someone using this for other reasons…” George began in a near whine what I and many of us had feared. I knew his fear. I had voiced it many times.

“Is an acceptable risk.” Dr. Hathaway interrupted. “Could it be used as a biological weapon? Hell yes. Used to create more vampire soldiers? Sure, that’s been tried twice. I know about by this Iilya. It will happen and was, very recently which is why Devon was kidnapped they wanted it for that very purpose…those thousands of years ago when the Old Ones were made using this…whatever…it started to do the very same thing. The secret is coming out. It has to.”

“All of those victims here in Romania and elsewhere need to be protected. We know that. Patient confidentiality is very important, but there will be failures.” Dr. Petran said. “You can assign numbers to each patient. All of the patients, past, present and the ones in the future…we’ll do everything we can to protect their identity, but we will lose some.”

George gave a grudging nod and said in exaggerated sarcasm running a frustrated hand through his red hair and blew a breath. “We might as well tell what it does and about the whole damned threat. Just broadcast the whole thing! There are vampires and here they are!” George groaned sinking his head into his hands.

“Do we have a choice, George?” Colin asked simply. “This has become so much more than a few vampires we know about and not known about that are there…there are thousands of others…spread around the world, hiding. We do a lot, but this is becoming so much more than Holms' Laboratories or the VUN can handle alone.” He sighed. “I told Devon, I almost wish the secret was out.” He looked at me and I saw something in his eyes…he’d come up with something he knew I wouldn’t like. I knew what he was thinking about. We were married. I knew the man. I could practically read his mind through those emerald green eyes. “In fact, the time has come I think we should…should show them.”

I wasn’t surprised at what he said. “Show what?” I asked sitting back slightly. “Show them we are vampires. You’re talking about more than showing the venom and serum.”

Colin nodded and took my hand. “Yes.” He turned, looking more directly at me. “I don’t mean tell the world, but some…representatives of these various countries…show them Repetate and Iustina and…me.”

When he said that, an almost literal dagger of the coldest ice when straight into my heart.

George was now shaking his head more adamantly almost coming through the screen. “No, no, no…that is crazy!”

“This whole situation is crazy, George!” Colin shot back. “We need their help! How do we get their help if they don’t know? They won’t know if we don’t tell them! We have got to change tactics.”

I was trying to understand what he was saying. He hadn’t said a word about this plan to me. “Am I just to accept this? That’s very risky, Colin. You want to come out as vampires to them.” It wasn’t a question, more of a clarification.

“Just me,” Colin said softly. “No one else need be exposed.”

I took his hand shakily. “You know that will never happen, Colin. If you do this…we do this.”

“I can’t make that decision for you, Honey,” Colin said softly. “I would never put you in harm’s way.”

“No, but you will put yourself in harm’s way!? You’re not deciding for me. I’m telling you,” I tapped his shirt covered chest, “if you come out to anyone as a vampire…we come out together.” I said firmly and pressed my forehead against his. “We took vows damn it…you are the most important anything in my life. You’re my husband. I will not lose you. We stay together.”

George was not accepting this. “That is completely insane!! They will destroy you, Colin!”

Colin looked back at the screen. “Is that you or the vampire’s lack of trust talking?” He moved closer to the screen. “We need allies, George!! This has become bigger than we can handle alone. Think of a better way!” He shook his head again. “You took an oath as a doctor, George…to do no harm, but hiding like we are…we’re causing harm! I think…” Colin shook his head, “no, I know we have enough people who can vouch for us and what we’re doing now; from three countries. We have three major medical minds from those three countries to also back us up with what they’ve seen. I think it’s time we let the others in on this…secret. It should no longer be a secret.” He looked at George. “We’ll not tell about you except what you know.” He looked at Dr. Petran and looked at Dr. Hathaway. “We will need your help.” He looked at George again. “They will need to see the two Old Ones. Seeing them, they will be convinced quicker.”

“How will you do this!?” George asked. “When!?”

“There is a United Nations in New York,” Colin said simply. “Holms' Laboratories is in New York. New York is where it will be.” He looked at George. “This was going to happen; only now…we’re controlling it. If we’re discovered and it comes out by someone else, then it will be a big problem. I’m doing this.” He grinned as I squeezed Colin’s hand. “Correction, my husband and I are doing this.”

Dr. Hathaway nodded with a smile that said she was glad someone finally got it and was using reason. “We’ll be ready.”

“As we work out a plan, we’ll keep you informed,” Colin said. “This won’t happen tomorrow or even next week, but soon. We’ll need Director Mattingly, Ruben, Congresswoman Chance, Senator Cooke to be in on this, too.”

“We’ll be waiting.” Dr. Petran said. “Now, the last of the discs are being inserted in our new guests. Our latest victims will be ready to return home very soon.”

“We’re getting things in place,” Colin said. “Dragon is speaking with each of them now. Persuading them all…victims and their friends to keep what happened quiet. We’ll need letters sent about this…what are we calling this now? If not venom, what?”

“Why not just use the initials I have for the unknown?” George asked quietly as he was mulling over what was going to happen. “V5Hgb? V5H for short.” He looked at the puzzled faces of everyone. “Five parts venom is the first part in the blood chemistry and five parts venom to one hemoglobin?” He said as if he were stating the obvious, which for him, it was. “There is more of a breakdown I could do, but V5H is better, but…”

I smiled at George. “I love that name! It’s appropriately mysterious.” I watched as George smiled for a second and even chuckled once. Then he was back to worrying again.

“We’ll send written information about each one and they will be given a website to go to for more information.” Colin said and thought, “…as soon as Stan creates one.” He looked at George. “Which means Stan has to have that chemical break down of the venom…V5H…and the serum to have on the website.”

“We should probably have letters about V5H from Senator Cooke and Congresswoman Chance meaning they need that, too,” I suggested. “Authentication letters if nothing else. From Director Mattingly, Ruben and our lovely doctors…about what they’ve seen and know.”

“The governments in each country will want an explanation.” Dr. Hathaway said. “England will be ready. Ukraine and France…Germany may not be so easy.”

“Remember, our victims are victims,” I said. “We’ll have to be persuasive in dealing with those that will think they know better how to handle this than we do, which they don’t. These people were quarantined for a reason. Protection.”

Colin nodded. “We could have the others taken to England.” He suggested. “Have them in a hotel and bring the representatives of their countries to come to the hotel and explain things there. The victims can return to their countries with less…of a problem.” He shook his head. “Make no mistake, there will be problems.”

We ended our connection. Colin sighed, sitting back pulling me back with him as he wrapped his arms around me.

“I’m so sorry, Devon,” Colin said softly as his hand came around me and he moved it across my chest tenderly resting his chin on my shoulder and spoke directly in my ear softly. “I should have told you what I was planning before we were on that call.”

I turned and nodded slowly at Colin. “I know.” I took his hand and brought it up kissing it gently. “I do really love you, Colin.”

Colin nodded. “I know that.”

I shook my head. “No. I don’t think you do. Not really. Words are just so…inadequate. You hear them, but…aren’t getting it.” I placed his hand on my chest to feel my heartbeat. “Each beat you feel…that’s for you, Colin. I exist for you.” I sighed. “When you said you would do it alone…my heart almost stopped. I had a real pain in my heart!” I moved closer to him. “I mean it. Really, it almost did. You don’t just mean a lot to me. I was scared. You’re everything to me. You can not do this by yourself. You telling them you would do it…alone, scared me. You would do it. Alone!? You don’t understand. You…do…not…do…any…of…this…alone! Not without me. You still think you’re by yourself. You’re not, Colin!”

Colin smiled as a tear formed in his eyes and fell. “I think I’m getting it.” He pulled me into a kiss, tender and gently his lips brushed mine. “Now, you hear me. My heart also beats for you. I was born in 1815! I was alive, but I never lived until I met you. Believe that. I do understand about that feeling you can’t put into words. I feel the same as you. We are one. You are part of me. I do really love you. I just want to protect you.”

I nodded and put my arms around him as we kissed a little deeper. “I know, but there’s no longer just you, there’s us and you forget that. You can’t risk harm to yourself without including me. I’ll die if anything happens to you, Colin. You’re risking being dissected or…god knows what by some…country or people out there. Please promise me…you will not endanger yourself and risk leaving me alone. Please.”

Colin nodded kissing me more. “I swear it. I know how that felt when they took you to Germany.” He shook his head. “I won’t let you go through that. It was agony. I did everything to get you back and broke many laws nationally and internationally to get to you back.”

“As I will for you. Gladly.”

That’s when the computer buzzed again. Colin reached over and hit a button and George’s smiling face appeared. “Hi, guys.” He said softer now. “I got distracted with…shock…all your new plans sort of…I lost my train of thought.” He smiled now more. “I have two things to share I meant to, but…I’m beginning trials of the new antivenin and antibody I got from Nicolae’s blood. I will keep you updated. Human trials are still a good way away, but it looks promising.” He now moved forward a bit more. “The second thing is, I have sort of a cause and effect findings I’ve worked on and discovered about what happens after we’re bitten.”

“What do you mean?” I asked.

George smiled. “Well, many have asked and…well…our natures are written in our DNA as a species...” He thought a second how to explain it. Colin and I weren’t scientists like George was. “As we evolved…certain necessities were programmed into us by our very DNA for survival. Like the need for…procreation.” His eyebrows danced a little saying that one. “Mating?”

“We can mate, but we can’t procreate,” Colin said simply.

George nodded. “I know! I’m telling you…there are some…like you that broke that need to mate as many do. I compared yours, Devon, and others that are gay against ones like my venom changed DNA. Knowing you won’t, but come on, don’t you want a child? You still seek companionship because that’s what we do as humans, but your tastes are different. Yet the desire of a child…I mean a combination of the two of you? Don’t you want one? Part of you and Colin in a single being? I know I want one with John!”

“That won’t happen,” I said.

George sighed. “I know. What I told you in the beginning, the venom rewrites your DNA! You become the source of your venom! Because of the rewritten DNA!” He thought of a way to explain things better. “Like the desire for the taste of foods or…meats like Colin’s love of good steaks or the rewritten DNA for blood, which even you, Devon, said it smelled like a good steak to you. Delicious. That need is written in our DNA! The need for these things is written in our very DNA. So, is our desire to find that perfect mate. There are things like enzymes and hormones to the brain that cause development in the brain of embryos that guide the development of the parts that are used for sexuality. The point is…the need to have sex is also in the DNA! Yours has been rewritten by the venom. So was mine! Now the need to find that perfect mate has…changed…like our desire for certain foods…our taste for getting what we need changed…that perfect mate in some cases, like mine, is simply not there anymore, but the desire for a mate is!” He smiled. “I never considered myself as gay before I was bitten. You were before! I don’t know that Wayne was…but you said he’s involved with Amasis!” He looked from me and Colin waiting for a response. “Don’t you get it? There is no programmed target anymore! Men are hunters, using our eyes to see the big boobs…which told our ancient ancestors’ influenced brains she’s a good prospect as she could provide good amounts of food for the offspring are looked for. The curves, like big hips, as in they have room to have children, but in us, that isn’t there anymore. The need for that perfect woman to bear offspring is gone! We know we can’t have children! We live a long, long life and reproduce by bite, not sex, so no need for the perfect member of the opposite sex!. Now, we focus on the person! Our tastes have changed because we know, we know down to our very DNA we can’t reproduce at all! That’s what I have with John!”

I smiled. “So, becoming a vampire does make us gay.” I thought of Robert’s assertions and gave a quizzical look to George. “Aren’t you worried about…finding the cure then? Won’t it reverse your love for John Burke?”

George snickered. “I think you and Colin found the perfect mate in each other no matter if I can prove this or not. I know I did with John. We’re not going on instinct anymore. What you two have is very real. What John and I have…is very real. I love John. He is the perfect mate for me. Even if I get my old DNA configuration back, he will still be with me, because I love him! He loves me.”

I smiled nodding. “I’ve seen you two together. And human sexuality is more than causality and effect of DNA. There are psychological influences as in traumas and behaviors of others to influence.”

“But the building blocks we base our decisions on have changed our decisions,” George said again. “No, there is no one thing, but this…is a big one. I’ve studied genetics and I can read the double helixes better than most and I know there is a rearranging of the nucleotides, reprogramming of us! We become these predators genetically constructed and enabled to do that. Even as vampires, we sought others for more than blood.” He smiled. “And don’t count out two men having a child.” He waggled his eyebrows. “We contain all we need to have a boy or girl…the x and y are in us. We just have to figure out how to bring them together and bring it to term. We could see a little person made up of you and Colin one day.” He growled. “If you live.”

Colin smiled at the screen. “We’ll do everything we need to making sure we do.”

“Well,” George began, “instead of the United Nations. There will be a conference of medical doctors from around the world in New York. Perhaps if you showed them first, then the people from the UN? They could persuade those in government better.”

“You’re going?” I asked.

George nodded. “I’m a featured presenter!” He said proudly. “Hematology. Various blood disorder treatments.”

I chuckled. “Of course, you are. You’re brilliant, George.”

“We love you, George,” Colin said smiling at his and my friend. “You know that.”

George nodded. “I do know that. I just worry about you, okay? I love you, too. So hear me when I panic as I can.”

“We’re your family,” I said.

George nodded. “Yes, you certainly are.”

“Thanks, George,” Colin said. He kissed me gently. “My DNA says we need to go to bed.”

“It does?” I said smiling at Colin.

“I didn’t say we’d go to sleep.” Colin looked at the screen. “Perhaps you need to as well, George.”

George chuckled. “That’s not a bad idea. It will surprise John. See you later, guys.”

Colin offered to pull me up. “I need to connect with you.”

“I’m not arguing with you.” I waved. “Let’s go!”

Copyright © 2017 R. Eric; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 24
  • Love 11
  • Haha 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

I’m going to interpret George’s conclusions differently since my nonexistent medical degrees are just as valid as his are! I believe the venom (now why does this remind me of the Baldwin Sisters and their ‘Recipe’ on The Waltons TV show from the ‘70s?) modifies the parts of the DNA that are linked to a potential high rating on the Kinsey Scale (ie Gay or Bisexual leaning male). I think it’s much more than simply the removal of a heterosexual imperative – if that were the case, I’d expect more cases of asexuality.  ;-)

Link to comment
2 minutes ago, droughtquake said:

 I think it’s much more than simply the removal of a heterosexual imperative – if that were the case, I’d expect more cases of asexuality.  ;-)

MY research found things out differently.  We are social animals.  We seek companionship.  As hunters, we use our eyes.  We seek what I said.  Big breasts and shapely hips.  Gay sheep?  I've mentioned them before.  The rams don't get what they need to go after ewes.  They go for other rams.  No, and George said he can't prove it.  I studied why I am gay for TWO DECADES!  I simply offer a theory.  Human sexuality has many facets and is influenced.  I don't think anyone is born gay, I don't believe in a gay gene.  We are made gay while forming into a human being.  Once born, it's too late.  I think it's very natural now.  No one...and I mean no one should be alone.  That's not who or what we are.  I'm asexual now having lost Daniel.  No one should ever be alone.  I look for possible...others, but I'm still not there.  I'll never have what i did with Daniel.  Don't count yourselves out.  There's someone for everyone.  The sexual component is still there in the vampire, but the target has changed.  What they seek has changed.   I still want someone.  I'll find them.  I know I'll never have a connection like Daniel.  The Recipe?  

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment

This is such a well thought out chapter. Coming out is very courageous but frought with danger for Collin, Devon and all of VUN. But I think it is the only proposition that offers long term solution to the vampire problem. The logistics of providing serum for all vampires will soon be beyond the capabilities of the VUN. They need help and help is only coming if you have allies in all the major countries of the world. George's fear of betrayal is very real but if the human authorities ponder on the issue, it is impossible to map out the entire vampire population, those on the serum and specially those not yet on the serum. If the humans betray the VUN, they have to know that retribution from the vampires will be swift and they won't know from what direction it will come from. I think the VUN should establish a secret vampire council not known even to allies in the human government. The council will be composed of elders and warriors vampires that will make sure the humans are dealing with the vampires in good faith, that any betrayal will be dealt with decisively and lethally. Collin and the whole vampire nation would be extremely naive that they will be totally accepted and protected by the humans. Many will be bigots who will plot to eliminate the vampires or use them as mindless weapons. Having the council is insurance against the worst case scenario. I am anxious to hear that this book of Blueblood is coming to an end and I just hope that our esteemed author won't take very long to come up with the next book. Blueblood is my favorite story on GA. I will be lost for a long while if I didn't have Blueblood to follow on GA

  • Like 1
  • Love 3
  • Wow 1
Link to comment
4 minutes ago, R. Eric said:

I'm asexual now having lost Daniel.

No, I think you’re celibate having lost Daniel. An Asexual person would be disinterested in sex. A celibate person has sexual feelings, but is not having sex with another person. Of course, these are my interpretations of the terms and your situation.  ;-)

Link to comment
22 minutes ago, back2basics said:

 our esteemed author won't take very long to come up with the next book. Blueblood is my favorite story on GA. I will be lost for a long while if I didn't have Blueblood to follow on GA

Are you kidding!?  I'm working on a plot now!!  I may put Asia back a bit.  Now, focus is heading...and blame my muse...world exposure!  I may focus on that as that's what I'm getting now.

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
31 minutes ago, droughtquake said:

No, I think you’re celibate having lost Daniel. An Asexual person would be disinterested in sex. A celibate person has sexual feelings, but is not having sex with another person. Of course, these are my interpretations of the terms and your situation.  ;-)

Whatever.  I'm getting nothing.  How's that?

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment

I think that this idea of telling the world about vampires may be a bad idea as there are so many variables to consider although I can also see the benefits of telling the world. George had the right idea in that instead of telling and showing the UN in New York first give all of the information to the conference of doctors first. I agree with George that telling the doctors first would be better because they have the smarts to get what's being told & shown as real, especially if they show Colin and Devon as vampires then show the process of the serum as they work through becoming more human again. I think it may work better for those who were attacked in Romania to wait awhile longer to go home, at least until the VUN has the opportunity to let George talk to the doctors and then the United Nations council so that the victims and their friends can get the assurances that they will be able to get a new disc inserted every month so that they'll be able to maintain a some what normal life without reverting back to a blood seaking predator. Great story I'm really enjoying this story with more information in every chapter. 

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment

Yikes exposure! All I can see is bad bad bad. In todays world medical explanation or not most would want to wipe them out it would be like the salem witch trials all over again, at least thats what I think. I mean look what people have done to gays in the past, thats nothing compared to blood sucking people who don't die.

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment

It looks to me that what our author is saying is now that the race no longer needs big boobs for feeding or broad hips for easy parturition that more and more gay relationships will develop and be acceptable by the remainder of humanity. Certainly, an interesting direction to take. All I can say is, we shall see.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..