Jump to content
    R. Eric
  • Author
  • 4,712 Words
  • 2,763 Views
  • 2 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

I've Always Loved You - 16. New Year's Eve Part 1

Surprise, surprise, surprise!! (My Gomer Pyle imitation.) Read the other chapters to remind yourself of the plot. Stories don't end! I'm getting much better. I still miss Daniel as much as ever. We're still married. His death was horrible. I am still struggling with my vision problems, but the new glasses the VA got me help. I will write until I die!! I'll return to 1894 Denmark this week. Part 2 of New Year's Eve after that. :wub:

New Year’s Eve

Part One

 

The holiday ended and we were preparing to fly back to Atlanta to drop off Avi and Eli. Chet was happy to be going home, but he became sullen when he realized we were dropping off Avi and Eli. We were waiting for our plane to be called for boarding. There were a lot people traveling the day after Christmas. There was the hum of many people talking and waiting for their flights. There weren’t that many seats left, so we stood. It wouldn’t be long.

“They’re not coming with us?” Chet asked me quietly. He was almost in tears.

“Their life is there,” Mike told him softly.

I knew Chet was feeling like another couple of people he cared about was leaving him. He loved Avi and Eli. Eli knew that, too.

“We have jobs to do,” Eli explained quietly. “We are not leaving you.”

Avi cleared his throat, but not to clear any phlegm, “I wanted to talk to you and Eric.” He smiled. “Eli is overworked as a social worker in Atlanta.” He saw Eli’s eyebrows come together and he held his finger out, pointing at Eli like he was scolding. “Don’t you say it’s not true. You know you are. How many cases were you working last month?” He demanded. “Do you even know?” Avi looked at Mike and me. “He gets up, goes into the office to see what he should do first that day! He goes from sunup until sundown and sometimes even longer! We’re lucky if we see each other two hours a day! Often I’m asleep.”

“And what about you?” Eli asked a little testy, “You’re a cop! When you don’t come back on time, I’m always worried someone will be at our door telling me you were hurt and in the hospital or worse. Dead!”

Avi nodded, “I know! Why do you think I’m bringing it up?” He shook his head, “Oy! You’re becoming such an alterkaker!”

I laughed when he said that, “It’s interesting that the words we learn the quickest are profane or insults.” I looked at Eli. “You are not an old fart.”

Eli moved his head back an inch and his eyebrows rose, “We’ll make a Jew out of you yet!”

Avi chuckled, “It is the sort of words Jews we use the most.” He shrugged and pointed at Eli, “We use those a lot.” Even as upset as Chet was getting, even he was smiling hearing the humor. “I have a dangerous job.” He admitted. “Is Mr. Hill hiring any security? Can I put in application? Who do I hand it in to?”

I grinned at Avi, “You would move to Fort Worth?”

Avi held up two hands pleading, “Yes! It would be saving a marriage!”

Mike smiled as he shrugged, “We have to. Eric’s career is taking off like a rocket! There will be plenty of people to fend off.” He looked at Eli, “You will need a job, won’t you?”

Eli smirked, “What? There are no domestic issues in Texas?”

“Absolutely,” I said quickly. “Whether nor not Mark hires you, we can use security at the house!”

Chet had been watching us and listening, “They’re moving in with us!?” He asked excited.

“We need to discuss it,” I said. “They won’t be gone.”

“Yay!!” Chet bounced, shouted and hugged Eli. He was closer than Avi.

“We keep collecting more and more people!” Mike chuckled.

“Yes!” I nodded. “Ain’t it great?”

 

We parted ways from Avi and Eli in Atlanta. Mike was right. We did keep collecting people. I collected two in the past ten years. Mark and Della. Okay, four. Hap and Barry I considered family, too. I got Mike and Chet a few months ago. Ray and Frank. We were busy and I couldn’t be happier. Avi and Eli had time. They would be moving in with us at first. Eli would have to get a job, but with a master’s degree in Psychology. He had been preparing to become a Rabbi. Theology was there, but learning Psychology was sort of important for a Rabbi or any religious leader. Other than sermons or messages from the Torah, they would counsel. There were lots of people in the world that needed counseling and some were just plain nuts! We just left a few nuts in Charleston.

Avi and Eli had to leave their jobs and move. I detested moving. I would prefer just selling the whole thing; house, furniture and clothes and buy new when I got to where I was moving to! Social workers, teachers, police and firemen were way under appreciated and underpaid. Social workers and police had the worst jobs. They dealt with many people that were just evil. Both Eli and Avi dealt with that sort of people in their daily jobs. Avi dealt with criminals and Eli often dealt with abusers. Many were the wives and/or girlfriends Avi arrested.

Dad had knowledge about people and behaviors. Many people he claimed had physical reasons for what they did. The Biochemical and Neurochemical abnormalities or undeveloped parts of the Human brain were often the reasons. There would be a chemical imbalance he tried to correct with other chemicals and counseling. Dad said the patients he treated were not evil, but sick!

In a couple of days, we would be flying again, but to Manhattan for the dropping of that bright, glistering ball that always preceded the new year. There was no way I would ring in a new year alone! After that, we would fly to Los Angeles where I would start making that movie. I was getting a lot of frequent flyer miles! I was no fool. Somebody wanted to have me, they paid me for everything. Including transportation. I then paid the reservations and paid from my account. If they bought my ticket, I didn’t get the miles. The same thing with the hotels and car rentals.

If Avi and Eli gave their notice, leaving the jobs in good standing; they could fly to Los Angeles toward the end of the movie’s shooting. They leased a condo in Atlanta. Dealing with the leasing company would be tricky. Their lease was to be renewed at the beginning of the new year. They had submitted the forms needed to do that a month ago. If Avi couldn’t talk them into the month, I told them to call Amy or, better yet, Mark! He loved negotiations! He was a lawyer that loved courtroom arguments. Mark could be ruthless!

Hiring Avi could be costly, but I could claim Avi’s salary as a business expense on my taxes. Being self-employed, I had to do returns quarterly. Not just annually. Eli could continue with Social Services or he could hang a shingle out and do counseling, but he needed clients that would come. It might be tough at first, but there were plenty of children that needed help in Fort Worth, Texas.

Normally, I made a schedule that gave me time to catch my breath. I was thrilled people were liking my songs. They were entertained at my shows and demanding more! Fine. I’ll deliver, but I have a family and I didn’t want to miss anything. I mean anything. Chet’s soccer and baseball games. Dilworth Academy had many “fairs” like Art Fairs and Science Fairs. Plays and dances.

Dilworth was a private school and yes, it wasn’t cheap. Mike had kept Chet up with his schooling; it made sense. Mike was going to be a teacher. Dilworth was ideal for Chet. There were no more than ten students per teacher and they had teacher’s assistants to help. Practically individual attention was given to the students. The students were the children of the wealthy, celebrities and politicians. The lesson plans were targeted to each student. That was very helpful for Chet. His math and reading was advanced, but he was having to catch up in some subjects like science. He was a sponge that was soaking it up. That was the main reason he went to Dilworth, but it was also perfect with security. There were guards posted around the school inside and out. They weren’t dressed like security, but had on school blazers and nice slacks. They were always told to keep a pleasant face on, but keep interaction with the students short. Be friendly, but keep it short. Of course, that didn’t stop Chet from having a favorite. Robert Bane. He has a post near Chet’s and Chase’s class.

Before you sent your child here for school; I don’t care if you can or can’t afford it. Admission to Dilworth is very tough! You may know of some schools that are so coveted that as soon as the child was born the parents put their baby’s name on the waitlist! How did Chet get in so quickly? Dilworth’s admissions process had very thorough examinations of each potential student. Three doctorate teachers did the evaluation and gave their recommendation to the Admission Board. They had to be sure the Dilworth reputation was upheld! With so many graduates of Dilworth going to college, more than half were Ivy League Universities such as Harvard, Yale, Brown and others, Dilworth had to be sure the student could do the work required to get there. The parents were also evaluated. Yep, Mike and I were. Our family interaction was evaluated. It sounds lengthy, but it wasn’t really. Were the parents putting too much pressure on the child? If so, why? Was it to give the parents bragging rights? Or was it because they wanted their child to have a good and solid future? Were the two parents acting like it was deserved? Were they raising their child to feel unnecessarily entitled? There was so much more than could they afford it?

Chet also had to be tested on what he knew. What grade would he be in? Then Mike and I found out, they didn’t really have grades. Chet would have been in the second grade in Public School, but he was First Year at admission. Students were placed more due to their age for social development rather than Scholastic Standing. There were almost no raising of hands and teachers never called on a student write on any board, chalk or dry erase. Each student had a computer monitor to look at and take any test or ask a question. Mike had let Chet use his computer at home growing up. Maneuvering the keyboard was not alien to Chet. He did do the two-finger touch type now, but was getting better as they taught him to type. He played games that made him learn to type. Writing. They taught him to do that on one of those tablets that they laid on his desk using a fat stylus. Almost all his homework was on paper that he handed in. At the time of admission Chet was seven! He had the handwriting of a second grader. Mike often handed lessons he gave Chet back and told him to rewrite it.

“Its right!” Chet insisted.

Mike got dramatic when he good-naturedly said, “How would I know?” He would point to a number Chet wrote, “Is that an eight or a six? I can’t tell.” Then he added very worried, “The fate of a ship rests on putting the right numbers for the computer to know what the coordinates are! They would go off course and get lost!!” He said in mock horror. Chet was smiling at his father’s antics. “Or even worse! You could have discovered something that would save all of mankind! The wrong number could kill a lot of people! For the sake of all Humanity, please rewrite it. Please!”

Chet would laugh and rewrite it.

Mike and I could only accept a little of the credit for Chet getting in, but really…it was Chet!! Dilworth saw his thirst for knowledge and he did the work to get that knowledge. That’s what convinced Dilworth to accept him.

There is no perfect school. They did have the occasional rowdy child, but the school dealt with it. They had Kindergarten through High School at Dilworth. There were students that were going through their rebellion stage and did things like smoking (and not just cigarettes) to drinking. There were some who would become violent and start fights. With the many adults around, that fight was quickly stopped. The Guidance Counselors (yes, that was plural) had degrees in Psychology. There were three! Each one geared for an age group. Children under ten, one for the tweens and the one for students age fourteen to graduate. Of course, the student would speak to whomever they felt comfortable with. Dilworth also looked for signs like sudden decrease in grades, depression…any sign of abuse or bullying. The parents got more than a report card, but a list of strengths and weaknesses the teachers observed about the students.

Chet was a genius! That was what Mike thought and I agreed. Every parent wants their child to excel. He was not perfect. I only heard of one person that might have been perfect. You know who I mean. But I’ve read when He was younger, He was not. He could be very naughty.

The other thing about Dilworth, they took in consideration the parents’ job. Such as Chase. There were weeks he had to go with his father who was a Senator. That didn’t happen too often. Dilworth had a system to keep Chase up with school. The same thing for Chet. Coming up, Chet would be gone for a month. Mike would definitely be needed then. I tried to keep Chet out of the spotlight. I never told people even his name, but he was seen with Mike and me. The ones that had seen us knew who Chet was and would sometimes tell. I would talk to Ray! He did it for a good while. He would know or at least steer me in the right direction.

Mike and I did have a “discussion” about the tuition. It was understandable because…well, I paid for everything! I did! From the plane trips, food, clothes, lawyers, doctor’s bills…everything! Chet’s tuition and Mike’s! It was male pride! Mike was the provider! Sherry wasn’t. I knew Manny paid Mike more to do the job than he would have anybody else for the same job. That was because of Sherry. Mike had to know it and that lowered his opinion of himself. That re-enforced Sherry’s opinion that she was the center of the universe! The sun didn’t shine if she didn’t get up! Spoiled! Susan even knew that and reminded her friends Christmas Eve! Remember?

Anyway, Mike and I had a discussion about it. It wasn’t heated, but almost.

“Should I get a Prenuptial Agreement when we marry? And have you sign it in front of Mark and Amy?” At the time, we hadn’t done that yet. “I thought a marriage was a partnership where two people pool together resources to get them through life together.”

Mike let his head fall back and sighed, “Yes.” He admitted reluctantly. “It is and I want that,” he looked at me. “But you are paying for everything!”

“Because I can!” I said simply, “There’s a need and we pay for it! WE pay!! There isn’t mine and yours now, there is now us!” I shook my head, “Mike, I make enough money to do that. Mark loved that I didn’t need that many in the background, except for the dancers and props occasionally. When I came to Fort Worth I wasn’t poor. My parents left me very well off. Their life insurance, the sale of the house…I was very, very lucky. Should I have turned it away!?”

“No!” Mike said quickly. “You were starting over and it was left for you!”

“Which is exactly what you are doing,” I said. “You are starting over.” I waved toward the ceiling and upstairs, “And doing it more than just yourself. Chet is going through Hell! He’s getting help. Are we going to be a family?”

“Yes,” he grudgingly said knowing he was wrong. “We are now.” He gave me a quirky smile, “I’m just getting used to this.”

I walked over to him, “Well, get used to it. We’re family and this is what family does.” He put his arms around me. “When your house in Charleston sells, and it will; you can keep a separate account. Is that what you want?”

“No,” Mike smiled and kissed me.

The house did sell and the money was put in our account.

 

Coming in the door it wasn’t late, but I was tired. Even Chet came in and plopped on the couch with a breathy sigh like he was exhausted.

Mike looked at me in surprise and them looked at Chet, “Are you tired, son?”

“Yes!” Chet answered in a way that said how could we doubt that. “Going here and there…” he looked at me. “How do you do it, PopE?”

I grinned at his dramatics knowing who he learned that from. Shrugging I just said, “I guess I just got used to it. Its better if you come home and important people who love you are here.”

“Talking about me?” Della asked coming down the stairs.

“Aunt Della!” Chet suddenly shouted and found the strength somewhere to jump up, rush over and hug Della. “Hi, Aunt Della!”

You had to admire Chet’s exuberance. I smiled and kissed her on the cheek, “As a matter of fact, we were!” Ruffling Chet’s hair, “And thank you for proving my point. Just a second ago you barely had the energy to move. Della comes in and bam, you have energy to burn!”

Mike walked up and kissed Della, too. “Chet never does anything halfway.”

Della smiled and turned Chet’s face to look at him in the eyes, “How was Christmas?”

Chet’s face sort of fell, but not badly, “It was okay, I guess.”

Della, of course, knew Chet had not wanted to go and why.

“It wasn’t all bad,” Mike said.

Della got a look of surprise and held her hand up to Chet’s head and then over to her, “Did you grow!?” She asked in wonder. “You were here on me,” she put her hand below her breasts. “Now, you’re here!” Her hand went up. “It was just a few days!”

Chet beamed hearing that, “Someday, I hope to be as tall as Dad!”

“You are well on your way,” Della claimed. She held up a clipboard she’d been carrying. “In many ways, this trip to Manhattan is easier. You’re not taking any props or costumes.” She sighed, “Even when you three go to L.A. you’re only taking a couple of weeks of clothing. There is less to coordinate.” She looked at her checklist.

“I’m be lost without you,” I grinned.

“Yes,” Della nodded. “You would.” She grinned back. “Oh! Mark wants you to call him. Something about a meeting you wanted with Tom Spencer?”

“Yeah,” I nodded. “Okay.” I looked at Mike, “Mark really needs a vacation.”

Mike grimaced, “Would he take one?”

I shook my head, “No.”

 

Mark was like me in that he liked what he did for a living and was very good at it. Getting him to relax would practically be impossible. He had my cellphone number, but wouldn’t call unless it was an emergency. I also knew him. The amount of restraint he used now was impressive. We’d just come home! Calling him back was important, I know, but…I finally relented and called him back. On my side, it rang once.

“You got my message,” Mark said quickly.

I grinned, but he couldn’t see that. He probably knew, however, “Hello to you too, Mark. And how was your Christmas?”

“What!?” Mark asked not expecting that. “Christmas?”

“Yes,” I chuckled. “Remember yesterday? The holiday nearly everyone celebrated and decorated for? You remember, don’t you?”

“Bah, humbug,” Mark growled. “Ebenezer Scrooge and I share the same opinion about Christmas.”

“Ah,” I laughed. “But Ebenezer Scrooge was reformed. You know how the story ends.”

“Yes,” Mark grumbled. “When the ghosts of Christmas Past, Present and Future show up, I will reform, too.”

Mark didn’t dislike Christmas; when he shared it with others. It hurt me to think he was alone yesterday. “I’m sorry, Mark. Della went to her family, so did Hap and Barry. We would have invited you over yesterday, but…”

“I know,” Mark said. “You had to take Chet to his grandparents. How did that go?”

“It wasn’t too bad,” I admitted. “Chet won’t trust them.”

“I can see why he doesn’t,” Mark said a little bitter.

“They don’t,” I remembered Wynona’s parting words to Mike and me. “They know Mike and I are married, but since I’ve had the unfortunate opportunity to get to know Manfred and Wynona Atkins, I get the feeling they are making up for some past mistakes. Sins.”

“What sins!?”

“I don’t know!” I shot back, “Whatever they are they must have been severe. They’re making up for it by being radically opposite. Trying to make it up to God to escape judgement or lessen it. That and grief!”

“What makes you think that?” Mark asked.

“About the sins of the past?” I asked. “We probably will never know, but I can imagine lots of possibilities from alcohol to being unfaithful. Maybe even having abused their spouses or children. Again, they went in the opposite direction with Sherry. They over indulged her.” Then I hurried on. “That is all speculation, I have no proof.”

“Even if there is reason for a crime,” Mark said. “Does that reason justify the crime?”

I chuckled, “You always think like a lawyer.”

“I do!” Mark said, “I am a lawyer!”

“And a damned fine one,” I said insincerity.

“Thank you. Now what about the grief thing?”

“Wynona said before we left that Mike and I couldn’t wait,” I explained. “She was upset that we married, but heartbroken we’d done it so soon after Sherry’s death. She questioned Mike’s love for Sherry, but when Mike turned the question around and asked if Sherry ever loved him…she admitted she didn’t know. We should have invited you to go with us to Charleston. I’m sorry we didn’t think of it.”

Mark laughed, “Oh, no, if I had come there would have been fireworks! And speaking of fireworks, Tom Spencer and his fiancés Heather will be in New York on New Year’s Eve. Tom said he and Heather could be at the New Year. You and Mike can get to know them!”

Knowing I wanted this and being told it could happen; I felt a number of things. Doing this movie would solidity a place on the A List for me if I did a good job. You know, the level many celebrities are and aspire to be. The list was for actors. I was going to have to act. That made me nervous. Meeting Tom and Heather made me nervous. Would we get along? Could I act like I was in love with him? Yes, I really needed to talk to Ray. This was an alien world I was stepping into. It was a hazard in the industry. A good chemistry between actors often went from the screen to real life. I can name many that did, married and unmarried did right off the top of my head. There were some that seemed to be able to keep their private life and acting separate. The most famous was Paul Newman and Joanne Woodward. They were married for fifty years! I never even heard any gossip about affairs for either of them. Yes, Paul was married briefly before Joanne, but fifty years is a long-damned time!

“I can’t wait,” I said. That wasn’t a lie. The whole “get to know you” phase I really hated in a relationship. Mike and I really didn’t have much of that. It was because we did know each other explained the speed of our getting together those months ago. Would Tom and I even get along? That was what I couldn’t wait for. A change of subject was needed, “You’re coming with us, right?”

“To Manhattan!?”

“I’d understand if you had plans or even a date and can’t..,” I said.

“I might go to a club,” Mark said a little dismissive.

“Mike and I won’t be on a date,” I grumbled. “I will be working. With Tom and Heather there it won’t exactly be a private party. I insist you come!” I grinned, “Chet loves his Uncle Mark.”

There was a hearty laugh from Mark, “Yes, I’m still surprised about that.”

“He won’t let you go,” I said. “He knows good people when he meets them.”

“Sure,” Mark said. “I will love to be there.”

“Good,” I said. “We’ll talk later. Bye.” I disconnected the call.

“I wasn’t eavesdropping,” Mike’s voice came from behind me. “But I did overhear.”

I turned to Mike and smiled, “We don’t keep secrets now. There was nothing confidential said.” I waved my phone at Mike, “He called to tell me he arranged for the meeting I wanted with Tom Spencer and his fiancés Heather will be joining us for New Year’s Eve.”

“Okay,” Mike put his arms around me. “He was in Fort Worth alone yesterday?”

“He was,” I answered.

Mike frowned and then grudgingly nodded, “I will admit there is part of me that in liking the fact that he screwed up.” He saw my irritated face and hurried on, “He did! He sees what he’s missing and is regretting it! It serves him right. But nobody should be alone on a holiday like Christmas. He did it to himself!”

“That’s not very compassionate,” I said.

“It’s not a big part of me!” Mike clarified. “I’m glad it wasn’t serious for him. I got you.”

I gave a reluctant smile, “I told him that, too. It would have been messy when I left him for you.”

Mike grinned, “Really? You would have left him for me?”

“Of course!” I said. I held up my right hand with my index finger up, “He got one song on all my CDs. One! I can’t remember all the songs about you!” I sighed, “He’s a nice guy! He’s smart and he’s very good looking…” I saw Mike’s eyebrows rise and he was about to say something, so I quickly added, “He is! You know he is.” I tapped Mike lightly on the chest as I said that. “He just won’t let the emotion come! He’s like a high school teenager or college man the discovers sex and doesn’t move beyond lust.” I threw my hands out, “And he will have sex with almost no provocation! He gets an erection and goes with it. What about love!? He managed to convince me he was beginning to love me, but he went back to his old ways!!”

Mike shrugged, “So, we show him by example what a real commitment and love can do.”

“He’s seeing that already,” I grinned. “You and me, Hap and Barry, Ray and Frank…”

“He’s coming to Manhattan for New Year’s Eve,” Mike clarified. “I heard you tell him about Chet’s love for Uncle Mark.” He chuckled.

“Chet will get through to Mark,” I said confidentially. “Mark still can’t believe it. It wasn’t a pity invitation. You know he’s family now.”

Mike nodded, “Yes, I know.”

“Good,” I patted his chest. “I need to call Papa Ray.”

Copyright © 2016 R. Eric; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 15
  • Love 17
  • Haha 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

That's me all caught up and now at almost 2 in the morning very tired🤣 Why do you do this to me? Dying to find out who this actor is that our man is co-staring with in the film; should be interesting. Being a grandparent, I just do not understand Chet's grandparents at all. Mind if I could I would get my grandkids away from the church that they belong to. The oldest boy reminds me a lot of Chet in the way he reacts to those around him ... Shame with the lockdown I don't get to see them now.

Thank you my friend... but please sir, I want more!:kiss: 

  • Love 2
Link to comment
On 3/10/2021 at 8:42 PM, Kev said:

Why do you do this to me? Dying to find out who this actor is that our man is co-staring with in the film

Thank you my friend... but please sir, I want more!:kiss: 

WHAT DID I DO?? Oliver, don't get it twisted. (See what I did there? Oliver Twist? Ha, ha, right?) All I did was post a chapter. LGBT parents are just as good or bad as any parent. I'll send you the identity of who the character is privately. No one questioned me about Gomer. :P

Edited by R. Eric
  • Love 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..