Jump to content
    R. Eric
  • Author
  • 3,896 Words
  • 3,202 Views
  • 9 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

I've Always Loved You - 10. Christmas Part 2

That damned Muse isn't leaving me alone. Part 3 is coming!

I miss you, Daniel.

Christmas Part 2

 

We got things ready at the house for Christmas with the tree and decorations. Della was great at doing that and Chet was bothering her where to put things. Mike and I helped, but we were also getting ready for the trip to Charleston and I had to get things ready for some performances. I even had a theme for Christmas! Yes! Only my workshop at the North Pole was more adult; male, but adult. Who didn’t see Santa as a big silver daddy or bear? My elves were bigger, and Santa wasn’t me…that’s right, I wasn’t Santa, but I was a reindeer! I had some Christmas music in it that was more traditional with the jingling of bells, but only bits and it morphed into my particular sound. The Christmas music that was not religious. There was Jingle Bells and Let is Snow, Frosty the Snowman and all that...Jingle Bell Rock! Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer! Only Rudolph was me. Complete with the red nose that blinked that I wore. No, I didn’t look like a deer. Nor did any of the other guys look like deer, but we did have the antlers (short antlers) and brown leather pants and sam browns on (those leather belts around our waists and chests. Now you know why it was important for me to stay in shape.) I was shunned by the other reindeer, but learned the joy of the season and won the love of another reindeer. He was cute! Blonde, but cute. As I explained, I did rock, I performed, but I did more of a show. That took planning and preparation.

I also had to work on a couple of songs for the New Year’s Rocking Eve!

Now, it’s wasn’t just the members of a select group of people that were following me (homosexuals), but regular people. Barry and Hap were helping Mike and me out, too. How? Remember I said about those people across the street with their signs about “Adam and Eve, Not Adam and Steve” “You’ll Burn in Hell” When another group came to stand against them on the same sidewalk with their signs simply asked, “Why not Adam and Steve?” “Why Does Love Condemn us to Hell?” The focus of the fact the I was homosexual and now living with a man I was married to (which no one knew about…for the most part), was protesting the protesters. This group from the LGBT came and stood against them supporting us! Yes! And the group from the LGBT became bigger than the protesters. We had the gay sports jocks, log cabin Republicans (which I never understood, but your party is your own), gay professionals such as lawyers, doctors, teachers, law enforcement officers and yes…much to Chet’s excitement…cowboys from the gay rodeo circuit!! The cowboys even entertained doing rope tricks even for the children of those protesting us! The protests were quiet for the most part, but I was afraid some of my neighbors would become upset. It was happening across the street and not in front of a residence, but a park. Both groups had permits to do it, but the problem was with all these people, there were cars needed. Now they were parking in the park and up and down the street in front of residences. Some of the people that stood with us with the LGBT were part of PFLAG and just because those protesters were wrong, as far as these new supporters were concerned.

There was a good part of all this; my songs were selling even more. Several of my older songs were now being discovered and were climbing the charts, too. Just as love is love, music is music. I was gaining popularity.

 

I came home that Sunday tired after a weekend in Denver having done a concert/show Friday and Saturday nights with rehearsals Friday and Saturday to get the moves down. The only rehearsals were the guys to dance with me. My music I carried on discs and used my hand button to control. The guys that danced with me were professional dancers and didn’t take a lot to get them to know what I expected. Mark had someone to have tryouts a week prior and they were paid well to dance. Most of the people that held the tryouts knew me if they weren’t gay themselves…like a male dancer has to be gay…there were straight ones, but they knew what was needed as choreographers and picked some good ones.

Arriving home before dark, I came in through the back this time and heard a conversation as it was happening. Walking into the great room, I saw Mike talking with two men. The new men were both dark-haired, but sitting on the couch very close together.

Mike looked up and smiled, rising to greet me. “Hi, Honey!” He greeted me with a kiss. He then waved to the two men. “Amy called after you left for Denver and said they were coming, so I invited them over. This is Avi and Eli Bau.” They both stood as I came over.

Eli was the social worker, as Amy said he was. He was about six inches shorter than Avi. Eli was in his early forties and Avi was in his late forties. Avi was taller and probably outweighed Eli by forty to sixty pounds or more. He was big! He was an inch or two taller than Mike, but much bigger than Mike. He was the police officer and his size wasn’t because he ate too much, he was a very muscular man! Not that Eli was a wimp, but Avi…no criminal or perp would mess with Avi. Eli wore a Yamaka on the crown of his black head of hair, while Avi did not.

Mike grinned at them. “I don’t guess I need to introduce him to you two.”

Eli grinned as he walked over and shook my hand. “You sure don’t. It’s such a pleasure to meet you, Mr. Richards.”

I nodded shaking his hand. “It’s nice to meet you, but if you want me to call you both Mr. Bau, I will, but call me Eric.”

Avi was smiling even more as he came up beside his husband. “That’s fine, Eric.” He gave a little chuckle. “I can’t believe I’m meeting you. Eli and I saw you in Atlanta a year ago. That was an amazing show!” He jabbed Eli lightly. “I feel like a teenager.”

Eli patted Avi’s arm but looking at me. “We know you just came back from a concert so probably very tired, but we are meeting with Amy Diaz tomorrow,” Eli explained. “She had some things to tell us before we go to Charleston with you three.”

Ari nodded. “There are some jurisdiction issues and certification issues that will be addressed,” Eli explained. “My jurisdiction is fine, but Avi needs to be covered…” Eli frowned and venture hesitantly, “legally in case…”

“Manny tries anything,” Mike added looking at me. “He shot me, so he’s capable.”

“Which is why Amy thinks it’s necessary for me to be there.” Avi nodded. “In view of their history with you, Mike.”

“What state is your jurisdiction, Avi?” I asked.

“Georgia for now. I had certification in New York, but this should be pretty simple for South Carolina. I just need to be covered in case there is an incident where shots are fired.” Avi said and said quickly. “Which I will do my best not to…but I will be legal there as your representative. I’m signing the papers with Ms. Diaz tomorrow to be filed in South Carolina. I am a detective, and I can be granted that jurisdiction if the paperwork is in. I will be armed.”

I was a little speechless. “All that? For Chet?”

Eli shook his head. “No. For you two.” He pointed at Mike and me, but then nodded. “Chet, too, he has to have supervised visitation, which is me, but Avi is there as…” he looked up at his husband, “a silent enforcer?” Avi nodded and Eli turned back. “Of course, but mostly for you two.” Avi agreed. Eli spread his arms out like to say, how could he help it? “We are all pulling for you two. We all have for ten years!!” He said to Mike.

Mike grinned sheepishly. “Well, I was Oblivious.”

Avi grinned patting Mike on the shoulder. “But you’re not now!” He chuckled. “Oy! Those in-laws…”

“They are such prostaks. So, if we can help...” Eli shrugged.

I couldn’t help but smile at them. All the gestures and the way that spoke, Avi and Eli were hilarious! They were Jewish! They were very happy men. “Yes, they are very coarse and ignorant.” I laughed.

“You understood that!?” Avi smiled more, delighted at my knowing the word Eli had used.

“I have some knowledge of Yiddish,” I replied nodding. “Thanks to Samuel Goldberg.” I looked at Mike. “Sorry, he was my first crush, but that was long before I understood what that meant or was willing to admit why.”

Mike grinned. “Oh?”

“He was fourteen and I was eight.” I smiled and sighed at the memory. “He was a neighbor and so handsome. His mother was always funny and I often spent time with Sam which he didn’t mind, so why not? He taught me many words and some phrases in Yiddish.” I smiled at Mike and pointed at Eli and Avi. “Has Chet met them yet?”

Mike shook his head. “He’s over at Geordi's house today and should be back in a little while.”

I turned back to our new guests. “He will love you two!” I looked at Eli smiling. “You wear a Yarmulke all the time?”

Eli touched his head and nodded. “I do!” He smiled. “You even know what it is! You didn’t refer to my wearing a beanie!”

I shook my head. “It isn’t a beanie. I know that. You wear it when in prayer, as I was told.” I nodded. “This is the name, isn’t it? That and Kippah.”

“That’s right!” Avi nodded smiling and looked softly at Eli. “Eli is more devout than I am. He was going to become a Rabbi.” He said putting his arm around Eli. “He was a student when we met. However, at that time, no one would ordain a gay Rabbi. He couldn’t teach from the Torah if he’s faygala.” He did the hand waggle for a gay man.

Mike looked a little confused. “I think I know, but…what is faygala?”

“Gay,” I answered nodding. “I’m afraid there are many that are khnyok in every culture.”

Eli blinked but smiled even more. “You do know some Yiddish!”

Mike shook his head. “But I don’t.”

“That means a bigot or a racist,” I explained but held my hand up to Eli and Avi. “I know some words, but not many phrases. You really need to be raised in a Jewish home to really understand them.”

Avi nodded. “So, this will work? Our being here?” He asked hopefully.

“How can this fail?” I asked smiling answering the question with a question as Samuel and his mother often did. “But be warned.” I saw their faces change to curiosity. “I’m a huge fan of hugging.”

Eli brightened opening his arms to me. “They are much better than simple handshakes! I love them!”

Okay, we made two new friends. I hugged them both. We were doing that when Chet came home, escorted by Geordi.

“More kissing!?” Chet asked, but not really irritated now or curious.

Mike turned smiling at his son. “Probably, is that a problem?” He smiled at Chet and his friend. “Hi, .”

Geordi grinned and waved. “Hi, Mr. Calhoun.” He looked at Chet. “I told you, Chet, there is kissing and then there’s….kiiisssing.” He let the word linger a little longer. “Mom and Dad do a lot of the kiiisssing. So, do you’re Dads.”

Chet nodded with a bounce. “I know, I just like teasing them about it now.”

Mike smiled at them. “Meet our new friends, guys.” He waved at Avi and Eli Bau.

 

After the meeting, Geordi said he had to go home and left. We found out Avi and Eli were checking into a hotel. Mike and I insisted they stay with us that night. If for no other reason than to get Chet familiar with the two of them. Chet, who really didn’t know a stranger long, was fascinated with our two new friends who were Jewish. Eli had a personality that seemed to naturally put children at ease. That was his job as a social worker. Avi proved to be quite a character and Chet thought he was so funny.

When it near dinner time, I looked at our new friends. “It’s almost dinner time and…I know I have some things that are kosher, but…”

Avi waved my concern off. “We’ll be fine, Eric.” He thumbed to his husband. “I’ve seen him eat a ham sandwich with mayonnaise…on white bread!”

Eli looked irritated at his husband. “Our whole marriage isn’t kosher, Avi! You’re going to get picky with what we eat!?”

I chuckled. “Guys, I have a solution tonight. I know a restaurant here that serves nothing but kosher meals. Choshon’s, it’s a kosher deli, but it also serves hot food and lot of sandwiches, and I can get some fresh bagels for breakfast with some lox to go with it if we go. Eggs I know are fine, but you need something with it like cheese for an omelet. I have tomatoes and onions. Maybe we can get some chicken sausage? We can get it there!”

Eli smiled at me. “You don’t have to go to all this trouble, Eric.”

“Eli.” I stood. “You don’t have to do what you’ll be doing for Mike and me. If I can do something that makes you know I understand and appreciate that, like providing an acceptable breakfast, I’m doing it.”

Eli chuckled. “Okay!” Yes, that earned me another hug. I was going to love these guys!

 

Chet loved Choshon’s. He wanted what he thought was a hotdog. Avi had to correct him on that assumption. Telling him these were franks and made with kosher meats. And that led Chet into a whole lot of other questions which both Avi and Eli answered with no problem.

 

I looked down at Mike that night before…we did anything. “We’re kind of giving Chet the wrong impression of us, Mike.”

Mike’s eyebrows rose. “How so?”

“Well, he knows me and you, Ray and Frank, Hap and Wayne, Mark, Amy and her wife and he now knows Avi and Eli.”

“And all the cowboys on the gay rodeo circuit,” Mike said defensively. “He saw the gay athletes out front protesting against those nasty people with their signs!”

I nodded. “Yes, but he’s never even seen a drag queen or crossdresser. Most all of the men we’ve introduced Chet to are masculine acting and…nothing about them says gay.”

Mike frowned sitting up a little. “Now, wait…crossdressers are straight!”

I nodded. “I know, they’re just straight men in dresses. I know. That’s good, but…you wanted Chet to know about everything he could. There are many portions of the human race that are very…different.” I shrugged. “There are transsexuals and intersexuals. He should know there are men that…except they have cocks are pretty much female. There are some born male that want to be female so badly they got surgery.”

Mike looked worried. “He just found out about homosexuals…not even a year ago! He’s learned a lot in these few months.” He tapped his own chest. “He just found out I was gay.”

“And married me, yes, I know.” I sighed. “My problem is…people like Manny and Wynona get upset because of our…bizarre behavior.”

“We’re not bizarre!” Mike stated quickly.

I nodded pushing him back down. “I know we’re not. I will be the first to admit when I saw my first male couple kiss…in real life, I was…unnerved by it.”

Mike’s eyes widened even more. “But you’re gay!”

I smirked at him. “Thanks for telling me, Baby. I had no idea.” I patted him on the chest. “My point is…people like Manny and Wynona are unnerved because they don’t see it. If Chet sees…” I hedged lightly, “others not like us. It will be less of a shock.” I shrugged. “Now, I’m not only comfortable with men kissing now, I’ve gone the other way.”

Mike looked at me oddly. “The other way?”

I nodded smiling. “Yes! Now I see a guy kissing a girl and my reaction now is, why the hell is he kissing her?”

Mike laughed shaking his head. “That sort of has to happen if we as a species are going to survive.”

“I don’t know about that.” I shook my head smiling. “I’d say we as a species are doing just fine considering how many people are in the world.” I moved so I was over him looking more directly at him. “We reproduce, Mike,” I said lowering my face to be nose to nose and looking in his eyes. “There is Chet in the other room.” I saw Mike’s eyes reflect a little sadness and realized how he was taking what I said. “Oh, no…Baby, no, I don’t regret you having Chet. Don’t look that way. I love Chet, you know that.” I sighed kissing him gently. “There were things going on we both were guilty of…don’t look that way.” I rolled as I hugged him. “You didn’t do anything wrong.” I smiled at him. “You created a wonderful person. You and Sherry had a very smart, perceptive little human being that is a delight. Don’t doubt that. My only regret is my part in his life is not like that.”

Mike frowned. “But you are a part of him,” Mike assured. “You will help shape his life in so many ways. How he thinks, what he thinks…”

I nodded. “But he takes after you in so many ways.” I shrugged. “Sherry was very selfish, I knew that, but she was smart. Combined with you, he is as well.” I chuckled. “And the red hair.”

“It’s getting darker.” Mike grinned. “Slowly.”

I nodded. “And he’s not that much of a ginger really, he has dark eyes and no freckles like most do.” I settled against him loving lightly as I ran fingers in his hair, kissing lightly over his chin and jaw. “We both made decisions…we aren’t too happy with in hindsight.” I smiled again. “For reasons to fill a need you had, you chose Sherry.” I shrugged. “I chose Mark.” I held my hand up. “I don’t regret Mark, but if I’d taken the time, I would have seen it wasn’t going to work out between him and me. Choices we made helped shape us. Don’t ever regret Chet or Sherry. I can’t regret Mark, but they are the past. Now, we have us. The past,” I smiled. “Okay?”

Then I saw Mike look very worried and almost upset. “There were things…choices in the past…I haven’t told anyone about.” I saw his eyes get a little clouded and moisture from there. “Not even you.”

Hearing this didn’t upset me, but…“But you are telling me now?” I asked.

Mike nodded. “I have to.” I watched as tears were now coming from him. “I love you so much. Really, I do. Believe that, but…”

Sensing the seriousness, I pulled him closer. “I believe you.”

“Mom…was…” he began sobbing, “just…wasted most of the time.”

I nodded, listening, but let him go on.

“Everything from heroin, cocaine, to just drunk,” Mike said, now sadder than I’d seen him before. “To pay…for her…drugs…she…she…had me…” his words broke as he told me.

My heart ached for him because I knew what he was going to say. “How old were you?” I asked quietly.

“Nine.” He said shaking his head. “I was nine years old! My mother pimped me out!” He began crying. “I caught the eye of many men. I remember the first man that…it hurt, but…” he pushed the heels of his hands in his eyes to stop the tears that were coming now freely, “when he put his…”

I placed my forehead against his. “Oh, baby. I am so sorry.”

He shook his head. “You don’t understand. I got used to it.” He sobbed. “She was so…drunk or so out of it most of the time, but…even after she disappeared when I turned about thirteen…I didn’t stop doing it.”

I pieced together what I did know that he’d told me about his past.

“I had to leave home as Mom wasn’t paying the rent. Social workers didn’t understand and…a Latino kid?” He laughed. “I wasn’t Latino enough for the Cubans and not white enough for the others…I was hungry. I needed a place to sleep…”

I nodded tightening my hold on him. “You did what you had to.”

“It didn’t matter if they were male or female.” He cried. “I just…did it.” He looked at me. “I didn’t want you to know, but I can’t hide it and I was afraid how you’d see me…”

My heart ached for him. This was something so…horrible in his past, now I understood more why Sherry and her family appealed to him. With them, he was white with them! He had run from that past. I kissed him quickly to stop him. “Stop.” I said softly as tears of my own came down, “and I’ll tell you what I see.” I took a deep breath. “I see a beautiful person, Mike. A miracle. How you survived, I can’t imagine. Knowing you as the smart man I came to know and love, I have to say that was a major factor. That you hustled,” I shrugged. “You did what you had to. You survived. I’m not sure I could have. That says a lot about you.” I smiled. “How did you turn out so well?”

He looked at me in disbelief. “What do you mean?”

“Well, most people would have given in, but you didn’t.” I smiled. “You’re not mean at all. There’s not a violent or mean bone in your whole body! You’re kind and considerate. Instead of being beaten down by the life you lived, you have triumphed.”

His eyes grew. “I was a prostitute!”

I shook my head. “No, you were a survivor, Mike. You didn’t give in to drugs or violence and you did go to school, I helped you get your GED. You’re getting a degree! I’ve seen your grades. You are smart! Compared to your life, mine was a cake walk!”

Mike looked at me listening. “You see it that way?”

“You overcame so much, Mike.” I shrugged. “How else can I see it? You’re alive and healthy. As you said, I see two and two. That’s four. That’s simple evidence. You…” I kissed him, “are a champion…” I kissed him again, “…and that you love me. I feel like the luckiest human being on the face of the Earth.”

“You don’t think less of me now?” Mike marveled.

“One more time,” I said to him firmly. “Your life is a triumph. I think more of you now. I love you, Mike.”

He wrapped his arms around. “I love you, too.”

Copyright © 2016 R. Eric; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 25
  • Love 32
  • Haha 1
  • Wow 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

44 minutes ago, glennish said:

Looking forward to Christmas part 3 and hoping the Manny and Wynona don’t try anything stupid. 

But that would just be them, acting in-character!  ;-)

 

 

I’m surprised they haven’t had any Drag Queens participating in the protests! Gay men in Drag and Transpeople have always very prominent in all of our protests, starting with the riots that happened in California as early as 1959! Stonewall was certainly not the first LGBTQ protest in the US with the Compton’s Cafeteria Riot beginning Transgender activism in San Francisco.  ;-)

  • Like 1
Link to comment

I like the counter-protesters.I like the way the story is developing. In most cases, we learn about our significant others through the almost constant, casual observations made over time. It takes courage to divulge something that threatens to end your relationship. I have had that experience and as Mike felt, I too felt it was too important to hide any longer and consequences be damned. I had to get it off my chest. It was not an easy decision to make, but, like Mike, it was received with patience and understanding and resulted in, I think, a stronger bond. Thanks for the memory and thanks for sharing your talent.

Write faster. Post sooner.

Jim

  • Like 2
  • Love 2
Link to comment

Wow that is a lot Mike experience I his childhood. That makes him the most beautiful man who didn’t let life break him.🎇🎇👍👍😇

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Well Mike is a survivor. That's for sure. He and Eric are so good for one another. I had a little cry in a coffee shop on Patong Beach reading this chapter. 

  • Love 2
Link to comment
2 hours ago, Doha said:

Patong Beach

Daniel and I never got there. They have a long beach, shops and a great nightlife. Many great restaurants. I am a little jealous. We were big on the Caribbean. Especially Barbados. I loved it there! It was so clean! Not so much as random trash in the streets! And monkeys! Lots of monkeys. We had John-John visit us at bar on the beach and he was very entertaining. He was a drunk! He would take our drinks and drink them. He wasn't t wild. Now Martinique! Fond memories. I miss it and Daniel every day. And that's good! I swear. I hope you have a wonderful time.

  • Love 3
Link to comment
Doha

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, R. Eric said:

Daniel and I never got there. They have a long beach, shops and a great nightlife. Many great restaurants. I am a little jealous. We were big on the Caribbean. Especially Barbados. I loved it there! It was so clean! Not so much as random trash in the streets! And monkeys! Lots of monkeys. We had John-John visit us at bar on the beach and he was very entertaining. He was a drunk! He would take our drinks and drink them. He wasn't t wild. Now Martinique! Fond memories. I miss it and Daniel every day. And that's good! I swear. I hope you have a wonderful time.

That is so kind @R. EricThank you. Although Daniel has been gone for some years now, you knew true love. How wonderful that must be. I still hope that I will find "him", although at 56, the window is closing quickly. Anyway, I've never been to the Caribbean. Miami was the closest I got. I do love Thailand though. @raven1 lives here I believe.

Edited by Doha
  • Love 2
Link to comment
5 minutes ago, Doha said:

I've never been to the Caribbean.

Then I won't torment you about Saint Martin. We went several times. The long streets of vendors...all from India is seems wanting to sell something wonderful! I will tell you we found a wonderful chocolate shop! Yes! We bought there many times. So wonderful that the security dog at the airport, sniffing for drugs, zeroed in on it. She was in training we were told. A cute beagle and I love beagles. We loved Saint Martin. 56 is still young. Love doesn't have an age limit. Keep looking. 😃

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..