Jump to content
    R. Eric
  • Author
  • 6,270 Words
  • 2,063 Views
  • 4 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

I've Always Loved You - 17. New Year's Eve Part 2

Plenty coming! Yes, Bubba, I'll say that in this next. Back to Denmark. :heart:
 
Was anybody surprised at Megan's reaction to the Windsors? Or the Windsors to Megan! I said it would happen the moment the engagement was announced!! Megan should have been a man! Then we'd see fireworks at the Palace!! :pissed:

New Year’s Eve

Part Two

 

In Mike’s and my bedroom, I looked at my phone. I couldn’t just assume Ray had nothing better to do that speak to me. Being retired did not mean he wasn’t busy. It was still part of the holiday season even if Christmas was over. Then again, I knew of other denominations and Christian religions started their Christmas on Christmas Day! The song “The Twelve Days if Christmas” told you that. This was the second day of Christmas and Two Turtle Doves? Ray had children and grandchildren and he probably was with them. I almost called, and then didn’t. I almost called again and didn’t. Finally, I texted him and asked when would a good time to talk to him. The thing was, he didn’t text me back. He called me!

“What’s wrong, Eric?” Ray asked as soon as I pulled up the call.

I was a little stunned, “Why do you ask that?”

Whether you believe or don’t, there are some people that just…know when someone is in trouble. “Because for about the last hour you’ve been on my mind. I wanted to call you, but when you texted me. I had to call.”

Yeah, some would say it was coincidence or even a psychic mental connection. Whatever the explanation is, he knew I really needed to talk to him. “There’s nothing really wrong, Ray, but you know I will be filming the movie I intend to use your song in. It starts next week.”

“Yes, I do,” Ray said.

I explained that I was meeting Tom Spenser and Heather, and I was feeling anxious about it.

“Why?”

“Because I don’t know if I can convincingly act like I’m in love with him!” I said and did the slow Calhoun pace in a circle.

“Ooh,” Ray said as if he really understood now. “I think I see the problem now.”

“You see?” I repeated. “What is it you see?” I stopped pacing.

“Okay,” Ray said cautiously. “I don’t know squat about acting. I don’t know what you go through before a performance. I can tell you I got anxious before I ever went on stage.”

“Sure,” I said. “Me, too. But I know what’s going to happen and know how to handle it. I can get so nervous at the beginning and no matter how well I know the music…my own music…I stand up there and the words just leave my head!! I mean, it’s completely gone and I can’t even remember what the song is even about!”

Ray chuckled, “Yes. Sure, I understand that.”

“It happens almost every time!” I said exasperated. “I know it will, and then the intro begins and when the cue comes up and I come in with the right word and note. Every time!! Only on the first song. Never again during the performance, just the first one!”

Ray was now laughing, “When you see the many people there who are there, just to see and hear you…it can be overwhelming.”

“But I never miss my cue,” I said. “But this isn’t performance anxiety. This is emotional anxiety! I can’t fake an emotion!” I began my pacing again. The speed was increased according to the level of anxiety.

“So,” Ray said hesitantly, “don’t.”

I froze in place, “I can’t fall in love with Tom Spencer!!” I said alarmed.

You won’t,” Ray said. “The character you play will. He won’t be Tom. He’ll be his character,” Ray said. “Understand?”

“How do I keep me and Dan separate?” I asked. “They will both be me!”

“Dan is your character?” Ray asked to be sure.

“Yes,” I answered. “I will be Daniel and Tom will be Corey.”

“Let Dan fall in love with Corey!’ Ray said logically. “Are you Robin Hood? Or that leather biker from the 50s named Vic?”

“No,” I admitted.

“So, you didn’t fall in love with Little John or Tony from the rival gang the Leather Angels?”

“No,” I nodded.

Ray sighed and I knew he was smiling even though was over a thousand miles away and I couldn’t see him. “Son, your love of Mike has been recorded in song for a decade! Millions know you are totally devoted to Mike. Mike knows it, too. I know you will never cheat on Mike.”

“No, I wouldn’t,” I said. “That includes emotionally!” I had dedicated a huge part of my career on Mike. My pacing resumed and was even faster.

“Is that what you’re afraid of?” Ray asked. “Are you afraid you will fall in love with Tom?”

Stopping again, I had to think a moment, “I wouldn’t let myself.”

“Again, you won’t! Dan will,” Ray said. “Tom shouldn’t encourage you to fall in love him, but get Dan to love Corey! I remember reading about some actors that make the character they play so much a part of themselves; they have trouble when the movie is over! Faye Dunaway portrayed Joan Crawford in that movie…”

“Mommie Dearest,” I said.

“Yes!” Ray said. “Whether the movie was fact or fiction, Faye Dunaway made the evilness of the character much a part of herself that she had to seek therapy to break her away from it!” Ray chuckled and said, “I’m not suggesting you become such a part of Dan that you and Mike will need couples therapy. Keep Mike informed on how you feel and you do the same with Tom! But be ready for Tom to tell you.”

“I guess,” I agreed a little weakly.

“What if you really like Tom? What’s the harm in becoming good friends? Your paths may cross again. You will have yet another person or two to add to the family. You still love Mark.”

I sat on the side of the bed, “And I always will,” I said. “That love has changed. Now, Mike loves him, too. And Chet adores his Uncle Mark.”

Ray laughed, “I bet he does!”

I did tell Ray about Avi and Eli Bau. I told him about the Atkins and last few days. Then I asked how he did it balancing his career and family.

I heard Ray sigh again, but it wasn’t very happy. “I made a lot of mistakes with my children. You will, too. Or at least to you, you will have. You can’t be at every moment in your child’s life. But you can decide and choose when to be there. At this moment, you are the breadwinner in your family. Make sure you tell Chet that. That grandson of mine is pretty sharp.”

“But I don’t want to miss anything,” I said in a near pout.

“Then you need to prioritize what has to be done,” Ray said. “You decide.”

There was more to it than that. Doing what I loved got me money to pay bills. I loved music and I loved performing. There were more bills than I ever had. I’m not complaining! I paid Chet’s tuition, Mike’s tuition, books and fees, for the lawyers. (Mark was paid monthly and according to how well I did. Mark had other clients, but I was the top earner.) I paid it gladly! Chet was thriving! Mike and I were super tight.

“Too bad I can’t be in two places at a time,” I grumbled.

“Congratulations!” Ray said happily, “You are now a responsible parent!!”

“Wonderful,” I griped slowly. “Do I get a membership card or badge?”

“Sorry,” Ray chuckled, “No. But you will get gray hair!”

My eyes widened, “Bite your tongue!!” I rushed into the bathroom and with the lights on checked my black hair.

Ray was now laughing even harder, “It’s in Proverbs!”

“I know,” I said back. “One of the last cards I got for Dad was from that Proverb that says: Gray hair is a crown of splendor. Then it said how splendid he looked.”

Ray now laughed again, “Now that was funny!”

“Eh,” I verbally shrugged. “Funny is what I do.” I finished looking, “Well, I’m safe for now, but I can’t just go out and buy Just for Men!” It was said in a mutter. “If I have it professionally done, my hairdresser will know. I’ll either have to get him or her to sign a nondisclosure agreement, or eliminate them.”

“You can only do that so many years,” Ray reminded me.

“You solved that problem. I prefer you now!” I smiled. “You pretty well have it all cut off!”

“I have hair!” Ray objected.

“So short you can hardly tell!” I teased. “You’re a good-looking man, Dad! It is so much better than that period where you hair was long in the back and bushy.”

“That was the fashion of the time!” Ray said back, but the smile was in his voice. “Besides, my hair was bushy. Naturally curly?”

I smiled and let out a sigh of relief, “I love you, Dad.”

“I love you, too, son,” Ray said back and full of emotion.

“Thanks for the talk,” I said. “I feel better.”

“You call me! Whenever you need to,” Ray said firmly. “Are we clear about that? Any time!”

“Yes,” I said. “I got it. Thanks.”

“Okay,” Ray said. “Anything else?”

“No,” I said.

“Frank and I will be watching the New Year’s bash on television. I know you’ll do amazing.”

I had just ended the call when Mike came in. He stopped looking at me, “I was just going to use the bathroom.”

When you share space, you often cross paths. I grinned, “I know. There is such a shortage of bathrooms in this house.”

Mike smirked, “No, I wanted to see if Ray helped you. I was searching for you when the need hit. This was the closest.” He looked at my phone, “Did you speak to him?”

“I did!” I nodded, “The call just ended. He was very helpful.”

“You talked to him in the bathroom!?” Mike asked. “Please tell me you didn’t pee with him on the phone.”

I laughed and grinned maliciously, “Come now. You know how I feel about watersports. And I’m not talking about Water Polo and you know it.” Not that I had a problem with guys that did, but pissing on a guy!? No one can tell me how that is romantic or even sexual! If it does for you, great! That was not for me. “Ray’s now my surrogate father. I’d never do what you said.”

“Hold that thought,” Mike raced into our water closet. Guys don’t really care if the door is open or closed with other guys around gay or straight. The only time Mike or I shut the door to the water closet was when we did have to crap. Everyone does it! We tell our children “Everybody Poops.” It’s nothing to be ashamed of, but we close the door in consideration. Shit stinks! We have wonderful fans in the water closet that will suck the smell right out. And it was pretty fast! I heard the loud flow start and heard Mike sigh in relief. He had to go! I chuckled as I heard him zip up and then come out and wash his hands. “He helped you with your dilemma?”

“He did!” I nodded as I walked over to him, “I am so glad you’re coming with me. We will need our communication open and honest during this.”

“We do well in that department,” Mike said a little confused.

“We do,” I agreed. “I mean, whatever we feel we tell each other.” I took his hand and led him out of the bathroom. Acoustics in the shower are great to sing, but kind of bothersome to have a conversation. Sitting together on the side of the bed I smiled at Mike, “While I’m filming this movie; Dan will be falling in love with Corey.”

Mike nodded, “Yes, we know that.”

“Papa Ray told me to let it happen,” I shrugged.

Mike’s face frowned, “He thinks you should fall in love with Tom?”

I shook my head, “No. He said to let Dan fall in love with Corey. Corey will fall for Dan!” I smiled. “That’s not Tom or me!”

Mike’s head went back a little and he thought. Then he said, “What!?”

I explained about the character I played, as it was modeled after me. It still wouldn’t be me! Corey wouldn’t be Tom.

“I’ve been worried that with a close camera on me. I couldn’t act as if I were in love with someone else! Not convincingly,” I explained. “But Dan can!”

“Dan is you!” Mike stated.

“No,” I shook my head. “I will be a man named Dan, who falls for Corey.” I chuckled and held his hand to me, “It took me a while to understand that, but I understand it now.”

“How can you not be who you are?”

“We’ll be in a world of illusion,” I said smiling. “I’ll change my accent, maybe dye my hair and get a new haircut…I wonder how I’d look blond.”

“Blond!?” Mike leaned farther back, “That’s little radical.”

“You probably won’t recognize me!” I said happily.

“And neither will your fans,” Mike muttered.

“Okay, maybe not that radical,” I nodded. “My point is; it won’t be me. I will never cheat on you sexually or emotionally.”

“Okay,” Mike said slowly, but he was trying to understand.

“When I’m on stage on playing the lonely cowboy that falls in love with the Indian,” I began. “Or like Papa Ray pointed out, when I’m Robin Hood having gotten rid of Maid Marion because I realized I love Little John; or I’m Vic in the 1950s biker gang who falls for Tony of the Leather Angels…do you worry I’m really in love with them?”

Mike’s eyes grew and a smile spread, “Oh, I get it.” His head shook, “No, I never worry about that. We both paid our dues for a decade. Neither of us would.”

 

 

There were times I saw what people “believe” what my life was. Living the jet set life was pretty nice. Sometimes. Chet’s reaction getting home after Christmas told me, he was beginning to see it wasn’t all that glamorous. Getting him and Mike ready to go again took a little more persuasion. Mike let out a breath of fatigue, but was doing it.

Chet was at his desk at his computer, “But we just got home!” Chet whined.

“I know,” I said trying to sound patient. “You asked to come with me.”

“Yeah, but…” Chet said as any eight-year-old would. “We’re flying to New York City and then we’re going to fly across the whole country to Los Angeles!” He said dramatic and grandly. “Can’t Uncle Mark stay with me?”

Mike chuckled, “That would be fine, but Uncle Mark is going with us.”

Chet sat up straighter in shock, “What!?” His mind was working, “What about…”

“We’re going,” Mike interrupted stating firmly.

“Yeah, but…” Chet began, “but…”

“Della will be working,” I had to crush smile that was threatening to come on my face. What can I say? Chet was funny! “the Martinizes are out of town, Hap and Barry still love us,” I leaned toward Chet and added, “and I aim to keep them loving us.” I stood back up, “Until Avi and Eli Bau moves here they can’t help you.”

“We’re going,” Mike repeated just as firmly as the first time he said it.

Chet stood, his shoulders slumped and a look of depression for what he had to do, “Aw, man.”

Mike had to look away as the smile he could not hold back any longer came. His laughter was light and he said, “If you ever need a kid in one of your shows…” he pointed at Chet, “go with him. He’s very good!”

Chet, of course, heard that and froze, “Nu uh!”

“Nu uh!?” Mike’s eyebrows rose, “Where did…”

“Mike, stop.” I grinned at Mike, “That sort of vocabulary seems to be in our genes. I used uh huh and nu uh growing up.” I patted Mike on the chest. “It’s just part of being a kid no matter the culture or race. It’s like clipping a card so it hits the spokes when riding a bicycle! We all did it!”

Chet’s irritation was dropped a moment, “Why did you do that?”

“To make a motorized sound! Like a motorcycle or something,” I said. “I’ll show you when we get to Los Angeles.” He rode the bicycle a day. Since we were going to Los Angeles, we sent the luggage and his new bicycle ahead.

Mike looked at his watch, “And if we don’t get to the airport, Uncle Mark will be leaving without us! We’re going.”

 

The days of bribing Chet by offering him a window seat were over. He knew the airline I chose, where to go in the airport; and Dallas/Forth Worth Airport was a huge damned airport. He knew where to go as he pulled his rollaway behind himself like a professional.

“Hi, Uncle Mark!!” Chet suddenly shouted to Mark and everyone near us. His rollaway was forgotten as he dropped the handle and ran to a happy, smiling Mark. Mark wasn’t in his usual suit and tie, but jeans and casual polo-style shirt of dark green.

Mark chuckled, “Hiya, kiddo!” Chet’s impact with Mark could be heard as Chet hugged Mark. Mark even let out an “Oof” at the collision, but he smiled even more as he hugged Chet back. Those around us that had heard Chet’s greeting and saw the hug even smiled at what they saw. No one had to be told what was going on. “If you decide to play football, I would suggest a linebacker or defensive tackle. You will lay them out!”

Chet looked confused, “I thought they all tackle.”

“This spring he can choose a sport he’d like to try,” I explained. “I just know it will be whatever Chase is playing, too.”

Mike reached down for the handle of Chet’s rollaway bag and smiled at Mark, “They always say love hurts.”

“It does!” Mark laughed, “Any harder and it will make me black and blue!! Hi, Mike!”

I had a good feeling as Mark and Mike hugged each other. Mark was at our house often, and we had traveled to the same place before, but this was our first trip together! He was my manager, but not right now. He was our friend and family!

“I’m glad you’re coming!” I said sincerely as I hugged him.

“I felt it was my duty,” Mark said. He wasn’t a great actor. I heard in his voice and the quiver in the corner of his mouth and knew he had a joke or something humorous coming. “You will be at the place millions in America and Canada will be watching to see you help bring in the new year! I knew I had to be there to see that you do it right!!”

Mike laughed and I said, “I won’t be doing it alone, Mark. There will be other artists and groups there, too.”

Mark looked puzzled, “There is?” He knew there was as he set it up to have me there!!

“Yes!” I laughed, “On several networks!”

“Yes,” Mark nodded. “But you will be on ABC’s Dick Clark’s Rocking Eve!! The world watches that!!” He was getting excited. “Time Square! That ball coming down!! Everybody!! You will be a household name!!”

Mike’s eyes grew, but I chuckled as I patted Mark on the back, “Deep breaths, Mark. Slow deep breaths.” I grinned as Mark was indeed starting to pant. His face was flushing. “We don’t want you to pass out in the airport.”

“Aren’t you excited?” Mark asked me in a tone that said he didn’t understand why I wasn’t. “This is what you’ve worked for!”

“Yes, Mark,” I nodded. “I am, but if I get as excited as you are I’ll get more nervous than I can deal with. Then stage fright hits me and mistakes are made, I’ll get booed…”

Mark was nodding as I spoke. He was getting it, “Yeah.” He did as I instructed and took the deep breath, “Your way is kind of important.”

 

We flew to La Guardia in New York. From there I only knew where we were by landmark. I performed in New York before, but this was New York City! How to get anywhere I always had help. I did feel like a southern country bumkin in a big city for the first time. Saying something like, “Golly, those buildings are tall!” The hotel certainly was tall. There was a single letter on the front of the hotel and on the roof. W. This was the heart of Time Square!!

Chet summed it up as we arrived at the hotel. His hands pressed on the window glass beside him as he stared up, up and up! “Wow.” But he said it in a near whisper of reverence.

“Yep,” Mike agreed.

“Look!” Chet pointed happily. “There’s a McDonald’s right across the street!!”

Mark laughed, “You’re in one of the biggest cities in the world. All these great things around you and you get excited about a Mickey D’s?”

I put an arm around Chet and looked at him, “That says this city is at least civilized!”

Mike smiled, “And when you see those Golden Arches, you know where to go when you have a MacAttack!!”

“Do they still have those?” Mark asked Chet.

“Sure!” Chet answered.

I sighed, “It’s the one vise he will not break no matter how I try.”

“Because it’s good, PopE!”

 

I loved the hotel! Many of the other artists and performing groups were staying here. The stage area was just outside! No commuting here to begin working except by elevator. Security for this hotel was going to be tight! Especially tomorrow and the thirty-first. This was the kind of hotel, if you wanted to stay here and asked the price…you couldn’t afford it. New Year’s Eve would be even worse!! Hell, as the new millennium started, the year two thousand to two thousand and one, the rooms were selling for $2,000 and $2001. Not suites, but regular guest rooms. I am not kidding!! Someone had a sense of humor and they laughed all the way to the bank! Hopefully, the hotel at least threw in breakfast with those rates.

Mark could do wonders. Somehow, he got Mike, Chet and me a two-bedroom suite with an adjoining room!

As we rode up the elevator, Mark confessed, “It does not overlook Time Square…”

“We’ll be in Time Square, Mark,” I said. “We’ll need to look away after a while.” I smiled. “How did you get a connecting room? I thought they were booked solid.”

Mark looked offended. As I said, he wasn’t an actor, “I didn’t do anything. You did!”

“I did?” I repeated.

“Yes!” Mark grinned. “The General Manager is a huge fan of yours!” He said happily. “I told him I was your manager and that big ol’ queen took care of it!”

The elevator dinged softly that we had reached the floor.

Mike chuckled, “A gay man in the hotel business.” He mockingly marveled. He was a good actor, but it was sarcastic. “Imagine that.”

 

When we entered the suite, it was beautiful!

“Wow,” Chet said quietly again.

“That’s right, Chet!” Mark said. “This is the Extreme Wow Suite!”

“Nu uh!” Chet said back instantly. “That’s not true, Uncle Mark.”

Mike laughed and pointed at Chet, “What he said!”

Mark looked horrified at Chet, “I am hurt!” His bad acting, the smile on his face and overly dramatic action just added to the comedy! Chet was smiling, but wasn’t buying that his Uncle Mark was hurt one bit! “It is! Would I commit purgery?” He looked at Chet. “That means to lie, which is a crime and I’m a lawyer! I have the Wonderful King Room.” He had those keycards you use in locks now. The W logo on it. “See?” He turned the keycard to show Chet. “What does this one say?”

Chet’s eyes grew, “It is! This one says Extreme Wow Suite and this one says Wonderful King!” He handed them both to Mike.

“Now!” Mark held up his hands and waved his fingers in the “give it to me” motion. “Who will be first with the groveling for my forgiveness?”

“Grovel?” Chet asked, “I read that word in a book. I’m pretty sure that’s when you beg somebody. That’s what the character did in the story.”

“Yes,” Mark smiled, “But it’s when you want something so badly, you are willing to crawl on your hands and knees and beg so hard for it.” Mark began waving his fingers again. “So, let me have it.”

Mike chuckled, “I didn’t say you lied. I just agreed with what Chet said. I shouldn’t have. Sorry.” He handed Mark a keycard back.

Mark looked at me. I shook my head, “Oh, no. I didn’t say anything at all.” I pointed at Mark and narrowed an eye, “And don’t you dare try to make Chet do that!” I was grinning the whole time. “Chet thought that story couldn’t be true. It isn’t logical.”

Mark folded his arms over his chest in a mocking pout, “You guys are no fun.” This Mark seldom came out. I liked him. He used Chet as an excuse. He chuckled. “This hotel doesn’t have all those fancy names in foreign languages. They have names like Spectacular, Wonderful, Cool, Fantastic, Marvelous and Wow.”

I nodded, “I knew I liked this hotel!”

 

 

It was the twenty nineth. I needed to set things up. Testing my computer program to be sure it worked! I told Ryan, the man that was hosting this year’s Rocking Eve I didn’t need a band. I pulled my disc out.

“This is my band,” I smiled at Ryan.

“That’s it?” He asked me with eyes widening.

“That’s it for the music,” I explained. “I will need a USB Data Port to plug my computer into. The computer isn’t big, but I put the disc in and control it with this.” I held up a small remote with buttons I could press with my thumb. “The strap goes around my wrist and two rings secures it to the palm of my hand. I can control the volume and speed the music up or slow it down.” I laughed a little, “I get a little physical with my movements, I don’t want to fling my controller away.” I did one of my moves with my arm and hand. “This way I won’t lose it.”

Ryan was smiling as he looked at the controller, “That’s incredible!” He reached for the controller and stopped, “May I? I won’t drop it!”

“Sure,” I handed it to him. “Don’t worry, I bring several. Technical problems, mechanical failures, computer errors…I always have a backup. Even the disc has a few backups.” I shrugged. “Just in case.”

Ryan was a nice-looking man about ten years older than me. He took care of himself. He was a host, radio personality, producer and master of ceremonies for a lot of television shows. It was rumored to be linked to several men, which he denied. One man on a talent show would give these one-liners and innuendos about Ryan’s sexuality and Ryan gave it right back to the man who also had rumors about him! My opinion was to just go ahead and do it! Both of them! Hell, they would have made a great couple. There were plenty of actors and actresses, celebrities who have said they didn’t care about the gender of the other person! They would have one a while, breakup and then another later who were of different genders. Some people are both genders! Intersexuals! We learned so much. You can’t just see a baby boy anymore and just raise him as a boy, he may not be!

I wasn’t looking at Ryan for me! But for Mark! I know, it was none of my business, but it kind of was. Mark was a terrific guy…with a wandering dick! He was a successful lawyer and we were growing rich! You’ve heard me. I love and will always love Mark. I care! I fuss with him for not caring for himself! He’s never said a word about any family. Other than me, Della, Mike and Chet now; that was it. Other than he’s here, meaning he had a mother to give birth to him and a father that made it possible. He’s never said anything. Anyway, Ryan said he has a girlfriend now and seems happy. So, on to the next person!

Ryan asked about the patent and what knowledge was needed.

“The computer is a separate issue,” I said thinking out loud. “That was established technology. Necessity was really the driving force. None of it is something I invented. Multitrack recording is, too and can be done in a studio. I became obsessed with music,” I laughed and shrugged. “I still am, so combining my love of music and using my personal computer at home…I learned to do this over the past twenty years. I needed musicians that could keep up.”

“And musically, as accomplished as you are,” Ryan smiled and he pointed at me using the hand with my controller. “I’ve seen your performances and heard them. You have backup singer’s occasionally.”

“Of course,” I replied, “You have to, but there are times I record them, too. Not to be egotistical, but who can better sing with you than yourself? No one usually likes to her themselves sing in a recording.” I smiled, “I just had to get used to it and I work cheaply.” I pointed at Ryan. “And my singers and band never change! The timing never changes and never misses when they have to come in. My horn section is never late, my string section is never out of tune. The individual mistakes humans make never happen.” I chuckled again, “I have more trouble now with humans working with me. If I could project my dancers from a recording, I would.”

“No key changes?” Ryan asked.

“Not without planning it.” I pointed at the remote. “This I did develop.” I pointed at some buttons. “I can retard the music, or slow it down or speed it up and even hold a note or chord…”

“Without changing the note!?” Ryan asked. “Middle C will hold as middle C? It won’t become a B flat, or B or A sharp?”

“A sharp is B flat,” I laughed again, “No, it’s a computer. Middle C will remain middle C until I stop it.”

Ryan’s smile began to look a bit mean, “Those some pretty good amount of knowledge to know to do this.” He nodded, “So, instead of needing a band and a person or two in the room to mix sounds…you did it yourself.”

“Yes,” I nodded.

“What if it’s two or even three?” Ryan asked. “You have an orchestra you can use, someone who knows music, someone else who knows about mixing the tracks? Together they have the necessary knowledge. You had to teach yourself by doing it.”

I stood a little straighter, “That never occurred to me.”

“Because you did it alone!” Ryan said happily, “I bet you still do!”

“Yes,” I answered. “I use it as a tool. For me!”

“May I get some people to look at this process?” Ryan asked and I got a sense from Ryan like I did with Mark when he got excited about something.

I shrugged, “Sure.”

Ryan raised his hand to me, “I won’t take it away from you, but it will protect you if later someone says you used a process you used is really theirs and deserve a part of your profits.”

My eyes widened and then I laughed, “I like them to try. There is a very, very good lawyer I know personally who has known my process for ten years. He would love to get them in a courtroom.” I thought about that. I knew Mark, of course, but I also knew Barry Windam and Amy Diaz. I could have a whole legal team! “Do it.” The protection is a good idea. There were crazy people out there!! Then I demonstrated it. Ryan heard the slowing down, the speeding up.

When Mark heard about it, he became my manager again. “Did anyone hear him say that? Could there be any witnesses?”

“No.” I said, but not worried, “Why?”

“Because he could make millions off your idea!” Mark stated as if I should have seen that.

“Ryan wouldn’t do that,” I shook my head.

Mark nodded, “I’m sure that’s what a lot people said right before Bill made billions off of their inventions.”

I was confused again, “Bill? Bill who?”

“Bill Gates!” Mark said loudly, “He was a pirate!! He took inventions and programs and made them his own!”

I grinned, “That sounds like you admire him.”

Mark shook his head and crossed his arms over his chest. “The issue if I do or don’t isn’t the point.” He held his hand up. “Don’t worry, I’ll take care of this.”

“Worry?” I laughed, “I was never worried.”

 

Mark was a “T’s crossed and I’s dotted” sort of guy. That was his job! When he told the front desk and security about the guests coming, as in Tom Spenser and Heather, he made them each say it out loud and recorded it under their noses. They had to say the names and who Tom was coming to see and when. That kind of reinforcement made it stick!

It was nine in the evening when there was a knock at the door of our Wow Suite.

Chet got up and answered the door before we could tell him to answer it or not to answer it.

The two unknown figures stood side by side. It was in the twenties outside. It would probably that cold the next night. The two had done the cap or hat thing. The tall one had a fur cap with those fur flaps to cover his ears, but the front was down so you didn’t see a lot of face. The shorter one had a thick knitted hat on with furry ear muffs over the ears. They had on thick insulated coats that hid a lot of things.

“Hi!” A pleasant male voice said to Chet, “Who are you?”

“Hi! I’m Chet,” he said in his happy bubbly way. “Who are you?”

The tall one chuckled and lifted his cap off. Very dark brown hair had been under the cap. His face was ruggedly and boyishly handsome. I recognized the detective I’d see on the TV show. There are people out there who look very good in person, but are lousy in pictures. And there were others, as hard as it is to believe, were so photogenic they look great in pictures and films, but seeing them in person you can’t understand why! They weren’t that good-looking! I have one ready, if you need to know who I’m talking about. This guy had both. Damn him. He had a bad-boy look even smiling! He had an infectious smile! He looked awesome on television and in films! Damn!! He put his hand out to Chet. “I’m Tom!” He touched the shorter one’s shoulder, “And this, is Heather.”

The earmuffs were removed and the knit hat taken off and long auburn hair came down around her shoulders. She was an international supermodel, turned actress who didn’t shy away from stunts or action. She did everything from super-glamorous to kick-ass! In a couple of movies, she did both at the same time! In an elegant evening gown that shimmered in the light, she laid out some bad guys with some great martial arts moves and kicks, not breaking a single nail! She even said that line in the movie! She had the girl next door look. Wholesome, but was drop dead gorgeous at the same time. She shook Chet’s hand, “Hello, Chet! I love the hair!!” She pointed at Chet’s head.

They both were gorgeous!

Tom looked up beyond Chet at all three adult men, “I’ve seen the two of you.” He looked at Mike and then me. “I’m Tom Spenser.” He came forward holding his hand out.

I chuckled shaking his hand, “We know who the two of you are.” I looked at Heather. “I admit, the picture I saw last you were blonde!”

Heather laughed, “When I modeled fulltime, the color could change four times in a month! Vogue wanted blonde, Elle wanted brunette…it depended on the photographer and shoot.”

I waved at Mark, “This is my dear friend and manager, Mark Hill.” Looking at Tom, “I hope you understand why I wanted to meet with you.”

Tom nodded, “Absolutely! I wanted to meet you! If I was going to be kissing you, we needed to get to know each other. I needed to get to know you! This is perfect!”

“See!?” I said to Mark. “I’m not the only one!”

Copyright © 2016 R. Eric; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 12
  • Love 16
  • Haha 3
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Loving the story my friend, but I need someone like all of these good lookers in my life... I could do with my world rocking now and then... :thankyou:

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment

I love it these two man . They think a like. Don’t kiss with a stranger and be professional that’s when you can do a great job. Learn to know each other.

 Great they gould .becoming friends 

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment

I really love these guys. Could do with a bunch of friends like this. 👍 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..