Jump to content
    R. Eric
  • Author
  • 6,198 Words
  • 2,024 Views
  • 4 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

I've Always Loved You - 18. New Year's Eve Part 3

I'm early. Do you want I should be late!? I love it when Bubba keeps sending me all this. I wish he would shoot me with something to speed my typing up. I can't keep up. I never understood when they said "Labor of Love." I do now. This is what I love to do.  More coming. I love you, Daniel. :heart:

New Year's Eve

Part Three

 

I smiled at Tom and Heather, “Take those coats off and make yourselves comfortable.” They did just that, slipping their coats off and walked into the living area. “I hope you didn’t tear yourselves away from a family gathering.”

“No,” Tom shook his head. “If anything, I thank you for giving us an excuse to leave!” He sat on the sofa with Heather. “I love my family.” He began defending what he was going to say next, “I do, but it is kind of like being in a whirlpool-hottub. It’s great when you first get there; you relax and unwind, but after a while your skin prunes up and it’s not as comforting as it was.” He grinned at Heather, “My married brother is trying to impress Heather, his wife sees what Tim is doing and gets bitchy. Mom gets offended when Heather doesn’t eat as much as Mom thinks she should…”

Heather chuckled, “I told you I can handle Tim. Your mother knows I can’t eat too much.”

“Yeah,” Tom rubbed his stomach. “I’ll have to work off the last few days.”

It could have just been the actor in him talking, he was relaxed and sounded as if he’d known us for years! “We have some drinks in the fridge, but no alcohol…”

“We’ve got that champaign!” Chet said loud with excitement. “PopE, you said there was alcohol in that!”

Tom and Heather smiled at Chet’s happy nature.

I chuckled, “Yes, it does, but that’s for New Year’s Eve. It’s tradition to toast the new year in. It’s just what you do.” I turned back to Tom and Heather, “I didn’t know what you would like. There are fruit drinks, Perrier and Perrier Fusion…”

“Oh!” Heather smiled, “I’ll take one of those!”

“Me, too,” Tom said. “I won’t have to work out so hard after that.”

I got up to get their drinks.

“I’m surprised,” Mark said. “No diet sodas?”

Tom shook his head, “Not for me.” I handed them glasses and poured the sparkling, bubbling water.

Heather took hers, “I haven’t found those diet sodas to be very helpful. Not for me.” She shrugged, “Even all those zero drinks don’t hydrate well. These only have forty-five calories.”

Tom grinned, “This is water!” He said simply. “With flavor!”

I liked him. So far. “The question is, I’ve seen your show and parts you’ve played in movies…You read the upcoming movie script.”

“I did!” Tom chuckled. “So why did I agree to play a gay man?” Then he got very serious and inhaled as a painful emotion surfaced. “My father.”

Heather reached over and touched Tom and rubbed his arm, “He died two years ago.” She explained quietly.

“He came out about ten years ago,” Tom admitted and he got this sad smile on his face. “He was a great man. He died of an AIDS related illness.”

This was very serious. Tom wasn’t acting. They had treatments available now. HIV was detected earlier now and has a good amount of success. People were living so much longer with the help of medicine. To hear someone died was so…tragic. Practicing safe sex and pleas for getting tested had reduced the deaths of AIDS to where it was almost unheard of. HIV positive women even had children who were HIV negative. Yes, AIDS was a major problem! The death toll was in the millions. There was more here that Tom was talking about. The fact he was willing to play this part in a movie and people would see it, said a lot even if he didn’t say it.

“My father was raised in a very strict family growing up,” Tom continued. He laughed at the irony he saw and felt about that, “They didn’t belong to any religion, so you can’t blame that. My grandfather was a drunk and he died when Dad was little. My new grandfather had to control everything and everyone. He wanted to control what my father did and thought. When my new grandfather found out Dad was gay, or thought he was gay…they sent him to one of those conversion camps.” Tom sighed, “He was beaten and threatened until he finally convinced them he was straight.”

“Beaten!?” Mark asked in shock, “How would that work?”

“It wasn’t sponsored by any church and not sanctioned by any psychiatric or psychological group,” Tom shook his head. “Dad was sixteen!! He was just a kid!”

“That was just after the AIDS threat began,” Heather explained. “People were desperate!”

“But these people advertised to be able to do what my new grandfather wanted,” Tom growled. “They would make a man out your son!”

“Using a method not approved by most people!” I said shaking my head. I knew of many people that were bisexual that chose to act straight if only so those that society accepted and saved themselves from harm. “I’m sorry that happened to him.”

“He married my mother,” Tom said. “He raised my brother and a sister with Mom.” He grew bitter, “But he had a secret life almost no one knew about.” He looked at us, “Okay, so he was gay! Big deal!! I was sorry for Mom who is still angry, but he was a great father! He didn’t suddenly become a bad father after we found out! He went on business trips and when he did that…he had these encounters with other men. In secret!” Tom threw his hands up, “What choice did he have? He felt forced into a life he didn’t want. He thought he could keep his secret life buried and no one would find out, Until he was diagnosed with HIV. He had to come out about that. He had all of us tested. We couldn’t get it from him, but he wasn’t taking any chances.” He sighed again, “Mom divorced him. But I didn’t. Tim grew distant and Gale, my sister cut him off. Why?” He nodded, “Yes, he lied, but I could see why he did! He was Dad! I want to show that he was still the same man! He was Human, like all those who are homosexual. Who they love and kiss mean nothing.” He gave a sardonic laugh, “There are plenty of bizarre people out there that claim to be straight, but who cares? We’re all Human!”

“Wow,” I said using Chet’s favorite word these days. What word is better to use in a situation that defies any other?

“Eric was worried about kissing you,” Mike said. “Can you kiss a guy?”

Tom gave a grin that was almost a leer, “I’ve kissed a few guys in the past.” He volunteered.

Heather chuckled, “And not always on camera!”

I know my eyebrows rose at that.

Tom looked at Chet, “Does he…” Tom asked slowly and hesitantly.

“Yes,” Chet just said it. “I know about sex. You all do it. What I’ve learned sounds kind of disgusting, but I know…I know…I was told one day I won’t think so, but for now I do!” He folded his arms across his chest and huffed.

Tom and Heather both chuckled.

“He’s too smart sometimes,” Mike grumbled and rubbed Chet’s red hair.

“He takes after you!” I smiled and shrugged. “Combating ignorance takes education. Combating ignorance on a global scale is nearly impossible. I agree about showing them we are all just people. If we can get a few to stop and realize that they might be wrong. It’s worth it.”

“Right!” Tom said.

“So, the title he used to address you…” Heather began to me.

I smiled, “Is a combination of Pop is for dad and the first letter of my name. It has nothing to do with the flower.” I smiled at Chet, “He came up with that name.”

Mike smiled, “We were a part of one of those religious groups.” He scratched his ear, “At least my late wife was. Now, we don’t hide things from Chet.”

Mark chuckled, “No, they do not.”

I looked quickly at Tom and Heather, “Uncle Mark means we answer his questions and tell him things he needs to know.”

“At the age-appropriate level!” Mike added quickly. “He’s a sponge for knowledge.”

Tom’s smile was back, “As I said, I’ve kissed guys before and even on camera. They were always independent films…they aren’t hidden.”

“With feeling?” I asked.

“Yes!” Tom said. “Almost all kisses are felt. That’s why I had to meet you!”

“Corey will be kissing Dan,” I said.

“Yes, but when the scene is done we’ll be facing each other as Tom and Eric,” Tom said. “We need to be comfortable with each other and get along! I do that with all my co-stars I kiss.”

I was mentally giving a victory cheer, “And the nude scenes?”

“I have no problem with people seeing me naked,” Tom said. “I’m a human male. Even the censors are Human and have the same things. They may not be willing to show anyone, but they have it.”

“Okay!” I smiled. “This will go nicely.”

“Sure it will!” Tom grinned. “I like you already!”

 

This was New York City! This city didn’t have a “down time.” It got late and Tom and Heather left for their hotel in Soho. That was several New York City blocks south of where we were. They had driven to Soho from where Tom’s family was, but they were taking the subway! I didn’t know how. I knew the subway did wonders for Manhattan, but if you weren’t trained how to do it…I wondered if you’d survive! This line went to somewhere, then another line went somewhere else. I wouldn’t do it solo! There were trains to New Jersey and Long Island! If I went solo, people would have to report me missing. They were dressed for it. No one would know who they were. They had done it before. I know, even children did it with confidence, but I wasn’t confident enough to do it. Don’t even get me started about the highways, the Long Island Expressway, the Holland Tunnel. Charleston traffic was horrible. They did a movie not long ago where a city was threatened by a nuclear bomb and the city was evacuated. No special preparations were necessary. They set up a filmed the bumper-to-bumper morning traffic. Dallas and Fort Worth traffic could be nail-biting, but New York City!? If no one drives in Manhattan? Then where the Hell are all those cars coming from? Take a train! Live!

Once you were in Manhattan, you were fine. Once you got there. It was the getting there that was the trick. Tom and Heather knew what to do. We made them promise to come by and we’d have a meal, either at the hotel or whatever they chose. We exchanged phone numbers and promised to text each other to finalize plans. I needed to rehearse the next day. My band didn’t, but I needed to make sure my equipment worked and that no one, no one, would bother it or move it; just to get things they didn’t know or care about out of their way.

We saw them out of the suite. Closing the door Mike let out a sigh of some relief and smiled at me, “So how do you feel about doing the scenes with Tom?”

“Much better,” I admitted. “He seems like a very nice guy. We’ll see if that’s true when I work with him.”

“Why?” Mike asked.

“I’ve heard horror stories about actors that get so full of themselves and their talent,” I said. “They become unbearable! Demands for this and that, late for their scenes…”

Mike frowned, “I have read them, too, but I’ve not heard one about him.”

“Like I said,” I smiled as I kissed him, “We’ll see.”

 

The next couple of days it was going to be a madhouse of controlled chaos. For the hotel and for Time Square.

During breakfast we had delivered by room service. We heard they had a wait time of nearly an hour downstairs. Mister “I’m hungry” would not make it. I was very pleased when it arrived as promised. “It’s a shame Tom and Heather couldn’t get a hotel room here.” I said to Mark.

Mark’s eyes grew, “Are you kidding!? This hotel is overbooked! I feel sorry for anyone that pulls a no-show. Their reservation can not be canceled. You pay for the room! In fact, this hotel had all credit cards booked double!”

Mike looked puzzled, “Double? Why?”

“If you have a room and you don’t show up,” Mark said firmly, “Even if the guest died on the way here, you will be charged and that second amount is taken away!” He waved with his fork. “It’s in the reservation contract when they book it.”

“That’s very cutthroat,” I said.

Mark nodded, “Business is very cutthroat. This hotel is very much desired the next few days. And no debit cards.”

“Why not?” Mike asked. “If it authorizes…”

“And any card that doesn’t authorize, the reservation is canceled.” Mark said flatly.

“Why!?” Mike asked.

“Banks,” Mark answered. “They get involved and delay and cancel payments…it can be a real legal mess!”

Chet was now earning an allowance. Yes, I hear you. Why does he need an allowance? Mike and I buy what he needs or even wants! We were careful not to spoil him. Just because he wants something doesn’t mean he’ll automatically get it. Ten dollars a week. He earned it by doing chores! Such as taking out the trash or loading the dishwasher. Cleaning his room was expected. He wasn’t paid for that. We didn’t reward for good grades; he didn’t get bad ones! When he saved up enough for this game for his X-Box, he was so proud! He was learning to manage his money! “So, they reserve a room and the hotel gives it to them, but they can’t get there…” Chet said as he worked it out in his head.

“Say Bob wants a room,” Mark began.

“Bob who?” Chet asked, but I saw extra sparkle in Chet’s eye. He knew what he was doing.

Mark went with it, “Who cares?” He said in mock irritation, “He’s an example.”

Chet covered his mouth as a giggle came out.

“He calls and asks the hotel for a room and they say yes,” Mark said, “The hotel knows many people will want the room, so they have a contract that Bob has to agree to and the contract says what happens if he doesn’t show up and Bob agrees by signing the contract.”

“But I didn’t sign anything,” I grinned at Mark.

Mark narrowed his eyes and looked at me, “As your manager, I sign many things for you,” He was about to go on.

“You read the contract for this hotel?” Mike asked to be sure, but he was grinning. He knew what he was doing, too. “The whole contract.”

Mark had frozen and then his eyebrows came together, “I’m more than a pretty face, Mike.” He leaned toward Chet and said in mock confidence, “I do have a pretty face. I know that, but that’s not all.” Chet was laughing harder. Mark sat up, “Yes, Mike. I read the whole thing! Contracts and lawyers go together. I am a lawyer. I read everything and check for fine print.” He leaned again to Chet, “That’s when the hotel wants to hold you responsible for something the hotel hopes you won’t see. They have to include it on the contract and once you sign it. You are bound to it.”

“But what if Bob couldn’t make it?” Chet asked.

“Bob knew the consequences!” Mark said. “He agreed and signed telling him what would happen. He is under contract.” He held his finger up. “Larry says he couldn’t make it either, but Larry lies to try to get out of payment. He also signed another contract that says the same as Bob’s. The hotel turned guests away saying they had no rooms.”

“Larry should have to pay,” Chet said. “Bob had a real reason.”

“How do we know? Maybe there is no evidence for either of them.” Mark smiled. “They hire me! Or Amy, or Barry…and we argue about it. The hotel has their lawyers and we argue in court about it! We use laws to settle the argument!”

“Oh!” Chet said understanding and nodded.

Once again, this Mark was rare! The truth is; he enjoyed being this Mark. Uncle Mark was funny and won Chet over quickly and Chet knew how to get Uncle Mark to act that way.

Mark turned to me, “Tom and Heather were lucky to get a hotel room in Soho!”

 

I met with Ryan again. This would be a live performance. Every show I did was a live performance. Every singer up here tomorrow night were used to giving concerts live on television or on stage. We could do three or four songs. No problem. It started an hour before midnight where I would perform a song. After midnight I would do another. One more at the end of the broadcast. Another just for those in Time Square before sunrise. Tomorrow at sundown all street access would stop. Thousands would begin to gather for the ultimate New Year’s Eve party. So would many police! There was a stage that would quickly go up. New Year’s Eve tradition started in Time Square in the very early 1900s and just got bigger every year.

Ryan told us what was scheduled, what was to happen and who to pay attention for direction and look for our cue to come in. There were singers and groups that had their own bands that had to rehearse. They also had to set up. The only thing I needed was to see if my computer and cables were set up and see if it worked! Rain or shine, the party was going to happen. The forecast was clear, but it was cold!

I did have to speak with the sound manager. She looked over all we needed to do and I explained about my equipment. She would make sure no one bothered it. If something happened and I couldn’t be heard, someone’s head would roll! She was a professional and swore it would be done per my instructions.

I was very aware of the situation I was in. I told Papa Ray what happened to me before a performance. I told Mark when he asked why I wasn’t excited because it would make me nervous. This performance was in front of my largest audience! Ever. There would the thousands here, but there were the millions that were watching me live on television. I was nervous! I wanted to present my absolute best. That nervousness caused me to obsess about my equipment. When I found myself wanting to check it again for the third time that morning, I forced myself to take deep breaths and relax. Otherwise, I’d drive myself crazy. My equipment had never given me problems. I was too cautious with the checking and safe guards. There was the one incident in San Diego where the building I was preparing to perform in lost it’s power. Everyone was plunged into darkness. The emergency lights came on and you may know how little that helps. One whole section of the city was out of power. Why? I still don’t know. However, being in a city with a lot of military, the Navy brought the huge generator on this large truck and plugged the whole building in. I gave my concert! It took two hours for them to get that part of San Diego back on the power grid. There were a few thousand there that night.

I went back up to the suite and found Tom and Heather there again with Mike, Mark and Chet. They were dressed in jeans and sweaters.

“…for tomorrow,” Mark was explaining to them. He looked up and smiled when he saw me. “And he’s back!”

“Everything good?” Mike asked.

“Yes,” I nodded. “Tomorrow night should be a good concert. Not just by me, but there are some other groups and singers. I hope you like it.”

Tom frowned, “Yeah, well we ran into a problem. We’re leaving Manhattan after lunch today.”

“I thought you were staying for the whole thing!” Mark protested. “Do you want to leave?”

“No!” Heather shook her head. “The Sheraton overbooked.”

They overbooks,” Mark said. “The Sheraton. You’re there already!”

“I know,” Tom nodded, “This older couple had a reservation, but it was booked!”

Chet frowned having learned this morning about hotels and contracts, “But the Sheraton took their money! By contract, the couple should have the room the hotel promised them!”

Tom smiled at pointed at Chet, but looked at Mike and then me, “How old is he?”

“I’m eight!” Chet answered for us, “But if those people did what the contract said and paid for the room, doesn’t the hotel have to give them a room?”

Mark grinned at Chet, “I’ll make a lawyer out of you!” He brought Chet in for a loose hug. “He does this uncle proud.” He dramatically said as Chet chuckled.

Tom and Heather were laughing, too. Tom nodded and said, “They were going to have to, but the nearest hotel was in West New York!”

Heather nodded, “That’s in New Jersey!” She emphasized.

“The hotel was going to transport them to and from, but these next two days!?” Tom said.

“We gave them our room!” Heather explained. “I have a cousin in West Babylon, but that’s way out on Long Island.”

Mark’s eyes narrowed, “The hotel knows what you did?”

“We saved their butts!” Tom grinned, “Yes, they know.”

“What compensation did they offer?” Mark asked and then shook his head, “It doesn’t matter. Whatever they gave you won’t be enough. Your lawyer will help you,” He slapped his own chest, “Me.” He smiled again. “You will use my hotel room here and I will bunk with Chet. His room has an unused bed in it!” He looked at Chet, “If you don’t mind.” Chet grinned and nodded. “Do you snore?”

Chet shrugged, “I don’t think so. Do you snore?”

“Mark,” I chuckled, “He’s eight! Of course, he doesn’t!”

Tom and Heather began the usual, we couldn’t impose and that isn’t necessary.

Mark held up his hands, “Can we just skip to the end where you say yes and accept it?”

“Sure,” Tom replied and bowed slightly. “Thank you.”

Mark was right with his wanting to skip to the end. As a child I quickly became familiar with protocol. Someone invites you out to eat. At the end when it was time to pay there was always the “I’ve got it.” “I invited you out, I pay.” “You don’t have to do that.” And last, “No, my invitation; I pay.” It was the most generous argument and no one yelled or was angry. My thoughts were, “Grown-ups.” My eyes would roll and wondered why they bothered with it. Everyone knew how it would go. Who invited changed back and forth. I figured it was just what grown-ups did and I’d know why when I was a grown-up. In spite of my behavior most of the time, I was a grown-up now. I still don’t know why we waste time.

We brought Heather’s and Tom’s luggage from their car in the garage. Parking in New York City was very expensive. One space was set aside by our suite. Mark got a parking pass to put in the windshield. The space was paid for with the rate, if you needed a second one…you paid for that almost as much for the room. Once more, almost no one drives in Manhattan. Many don’t even have a car! Or a driver’s license. There were parking spaces that people buy! It was property like a house and no one could trespass. There were even some that buy one just to be able to say that own one. I swear! If I’m lyin’, I’m dyin’. Think of it as a bigger $150 dollar martini. Was that martini better than others? I don’t know! People didn’t drink them because they were good. They drank them to show everyone around they were drinking it. It was status! Gay or straight, New Yorkers were…different.

When we asked where we should have lunch, it was clear what was going to happen. They didn’t care where we went.

“We aren’t familiar with what’s here,” I said. “Just tell us where to go. You two know what you can eat.”

Heather nodded, “Sure.” She looked at Tom. “Carmine’s?”

The only Carmine I knew of was Shirley’s boyfriend on the Lavern and Shirley reruns. Everybody had to know Carmine was gay! Shirley was safe and so was Carmine! She was holding on to her virginity until marriage. Carmine deflected rumors by pursuing Shirley. And everyone had to know about Lenny and Squiggy! I saw it! In my head. They’re fictional characters and I say they did. Usually, I put Carmine with Lenny, they were a better match. I’ll leave Lavern and Shirley up to you.

Carmine’s was almost a mile away. We walked. Four guys, a girl and an eight-year-old boy? Nothing odd here. The hats, caps and jackets hid a lot.

“Was your father ever happy?” Mike asked as we walked.

Tom smiled, “If you’re talking generally, he was often happy. He loved his kids and was almost always happy with us.”

Mike snickered, “I’m glad about that, but Eric and I met and we both made mistakes. He was engaged to a girl back in Charleston…” He looked at Chet, “He makes me happy many times, but…I almost made a similar mistake…” Mike was hoping that Chet wouldn’t hear and not understand. “I thank God for him every day. He is not a mistake.”

Chet was busy watching all the people and looking at the many cars, shops and up at the buildings.

“He isn’t,” Tom nodded. He looked at me, “Your life for the last decade is recorded in song.” He chuckled, “The first CD the most.”

Heather smiled, “We are big fans! I loved Oblivious!” She bumped Tom so he stumbled a little bit but laughed. “That was about him! He was so busy looking for something when I was right in front of him!”

That’s what I wanted and hoped people would do. I was careful with the pronouns and kept them generic.

Tom rolled his eyes and shrugged, “I was busy! But I came around, didn’t I?”

Heather laughed grabbing Tom’s arm, “Finally. It took almost a year!”

“Yes,” Tom avoided looking at us in the eyes. “Well, I wasn’t going to be pushy. The first season, she guest starred in the cliffhanger.”

I grinned as I nodded, “I remember that.”

She was brought back for a few episodes. Tom was a young detective with the police department. He picked up on corruption that went to some high-level officials in the government. Including the Governor! Tom’s character spent the entire first season trying to connect who was connected! With almost each episode, he found something new about someone else. It became deeper and deeper and more exciting each week. Finally, a brilliant Federal Bureau Investigator was assigned to help with the search. Brilliant and gorgeous. Carla, Heather’s character helped to track down who was in charge. Three episodes until the end of the season, Tom began suspecting, but needed proof! Everyone watching suspected and of course, you had to wait for the next season to air to find out “she” was the head of this corruption. A sociopath that was a genius. Carla had mastered manipulating people, felt no guilt or empathy, but was charming! She killed with no remorse. And she knew she was never wrong. Carla had been helping Tom’s character to keep track of him and throw him off of the trail. Her trail. She was keeping an eye on him! She could kill using her bare hands! A man, woman or child was killed without thought and none of that monologuing or just leaving them for whatever trap to kill. Carla killed them! This was no story about a superhero or villain. It was done realistically. No one ever asked, “why did she do that?” She did it! It shocked you! Sudden and with no emotion.

Yeah, she was so good at being bad! I loved hating her! But the two characters had chemistry! She ended having to come back to the show as the same character and everyone just waited on pins and needles. They loved it!

“She got through to you,” Mark grinned.

“Yes,” Tom chuckled and he raised arm helplessly. “I was used to dealing with Carla, not Heather! Heather was much more subtle.” He smiled at a memory, “Dad did find someone and they were together for five years.” He gave a sad grudging shrug. “Neal. He was at Dad’s side at the end.” He looked at me. “I hope people can see that love is love, sex is sex and the two don’t have to have both. With just sex alone comes the perverse and deviant. Dad was a man. Just like the others. Human. He wasn’t perverse or a deviant. He was just a man.”

“I think we’re both saying the same thing,” I said. “For different reasons.” I grinned. “Now, that car!!” I said. “That dark red…”

Then I was joined by Mike and Mark as we said together, “…1967 Mustang Shelby GT 500!” We high fived each other.

“Oh,” Mike groaned. “That ride is sweet!”

Chet was watching us and smiling at what he saw.

Heather was smiling, but shook her head, “Are you guys back in high school now?”

Tom shook his head as he laughed, “Nothing speaks to the heart of all men like the right car.”

Where are we GOING?” Chet suddenly wailed having reached the end of his patience. “I’m hungry!”

“We’re getting there!” Mike said getting to the end of his patience, too. With Chet.

“There’s a rumor it’s very good!” Mark said.

Chet frowned, “If we’d gone across the street to McDonald’s we would be eating now! That’s good!”

Heather smiled, “True.” She admitted. “It is good, but I promise; this will be much better!”

Tom pointed down the sidewalk at the deep red/purple awning that covered customers from the restaurant to their car without getting to wet if it rained, “It’s right there.”

Mark took Chet’s hand and began pulling Chet lightly, “We better hurry.” He said. “From the sound of Chet, he only has a little time left!” He grinned at Chet’s smile that grew, but Mark said. “Can we afford to take a chance? He’s wasting away!”

 

Carmine’s was busy. It was lunchtime and the day before New Year’s Eve. Like Carmine on that show, it was Italian. The rich smells of many spices used that were uniquely Italian. The smell of garlic, oregano, sage, thyme and many other spices scented the air and made you salivate smelling a good meal. Music played by a mandolin that also spoke of Italy. It was a nice sized restaurant and the hum of many customers dining at tables or at the bar with a wall filled all the way to the ceiling with many bottles of liquors.

Tom was a tall man, but he stood on tiptoes and searched over the heads of guests waiting to be seated. There weren’t that many waiting, so it didn’t seem like anyone was waiting too long. Tom saw what he was looking for, leaned toward Heather and said something to her.

I am always fascinated how you knew what was happening yet couldn’t hear a thing. She went up to the bar area and spoke to a man there who was filling a glass stein with beer from a tap. The man was in his forties with black hair and an olive complexion that said he was Italian. He was helping two others that were working the bar. Heather said something to him. He looked at her and when she pulled her stocking cap off he quickly smiled at her in delighted surprise. Obviously, he recognized her. He carried the stein over a couple of steps and gave it to a waiting customer. He came out from behind the bar and hugged her.

“She is known around here,” Tom explained. “There are friends and family in this area.”

“Which is he?” Mark asked.

“He was married to her cousin,” Tom answered.

“Was,” Mark repeated. “That was past tense, meaning he isn’t now.” He clarified.

“No,” Tom nodded.

“He’s her ex-cousin in-law!” I nodded.

“That’s right,” Tom chuckled and nodded. “He was family, but still friends!”

“I challenge anyone to find a card for that in any card store!” Mike muttered.

Heather was back and her stocking hat was on. No one should easily recognize her, “Lonzo says to come with me.”

He waved us through the door the waiters used to enter the kitchen to get guests dinner requests. You know. One door was to enter, another was to exit and avoid collisions when they were busy.

“Ciao, amico mio!” The man greeted Tom with a hug and did the traditional kiss greeting on both of Tom’s cheeks. The man had a moustache he was “trying” to grow. It wasn’t thick. Yes, again I thought he was a nice-looking man! Happy people make beautiful people. He looked happy!

“Alonzo Parisi,” Heather took the man’s arm and waved at us. “These are our new friends Eric Richards, Mike Calhoun, Chet Calhoun and Mark Hill!”

Celebrities in New York City were seen by people. From television, Broadway, movies, sports…if the celebrity didn’t like it, they moved out of town only coming to town to work. I had a friend here see a famous female movie star in the Produce Section of a grocery store. The angle was right and he recognized her, in spite of her disguising her look. He didn’t make any scene and didn’t ask for her autograph, but simply said, “I thought you would have people to do this for you.” She smiled at him and said, “I do, but there are things I like to do for my family.” He knew two personally, adding me and Mike did not change Alonzo’s expression.

“Call me Lonzo,” he instructed pleasantly. “Benvenuti da Carmine!” He did the same greeting with us! Spanish is so close to Italian; I knew he welcomed us to Carmine’s. He also gave us the brief hug and two kiss greeting, left to right. Very Italian. That was also meant that he saw us as we would be good friends; not just people he would meet on the street and say hello. “Follow me.”

He led us away from the bar and dining area in the opposite direction and through some doors that swung like saloon doors. He turned lights on from a switch on the wall. This was a private dining room with a long conference table in the center which could seat ten people on each side and one on each end. Dark wood table, polished and shined. There was a slightly lighter wood paneling on the walls.

“I think this will be comfortable for you,” Lonzo said he pointed to the other side of the room. “Bathrooms are over there. I’ll get your drinks. What can I get you?”

“Do you have iced tea?” Mike asked.

I touched Mike’s arm and added, “Mike might mean southern sweet ice tea.” I clarified, but knew the answer.

Lonzo knew what I was saying, too. He raised his arms and shrugged, “This is New York City! So, no.” He grinned. “We could have if we’d known you were coming, but…”

I nodded grinning, “We get it. Ice tea and sugar for me. No lemon.”

“They have Big Macs, but no sweet tea,” Mike shook his head and muttered to me. “Maybe they aren’t that civilized here.”

Copyright © 2016 R. Eric; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 12
  • Love 11
  • Haha 6
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

I like Mike, mind you we don't have iced tea over her. As my partner would say 'Who the hell drinks cold tea?' I have never even tasted tea; when I was younger it was coffee, usually after it had gone cold and I remembered it was still there. Now I usually prefer Dr. Pepper if I am by myself(obviously sugar free)...

Chet is beginning to steal my heart. Tom? well I could do with a Hollywood actor of my own, so ditch Heather and give him a Brit for a fella :)

 

  • Like 2
  • Love 2
Link to comment

Great chapter a lot of fun.I’m beginning to like Tom and Heather they are like people who don’t like all that whoha like you know who I am? Just ground to earth people. Giving there room too an elderly couple. ❤️❤️
 

Max🇳🇱

  • Like 3
Link to comment

A great chapter as they all get to know each other and feel comfortable. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..