Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Prophylaxis - 12. Chapter 12

see end of chapter for content/trigger warnings

 

 

 

 

I made it home early evening on Monday, after sleeping a ridiculously long time on Takashi’s comfy bed, in Takashi’s warm arms, with my own arms twined around an immensely cuddly Riley. To say I slept well was a pretty big understatement.

I was ambivalent about leaving. I’d experienced things with the two men that I’d never known before. Not just the mind-blowing sex, although that was really something. It was more than that. They’d seen me, all of me, and they hadn’t recoiled or demanded an explanation. They’d looked at me with sadness but not pity. A tension that had been coiled inside me for as long as I could remember, so long I hadn’t even noticed it, was gone. I was left feeling off-balance. I also noticed an intimacy with the two men that was somewhat overwhelming, I felt the need to distance myself from it. I needed space.

A three and a half hour drive was space. I had their numbers and I’d hesitantly given them mine. Riley was the only fae I knew of. I hated to admit it, but I might need his touch again and he might need mine. After that, refusing to give Takashi my number seemed a little silly.

But I still needed space.

In that way it was nice to get home. I’d also missed my house, my bed. I missed that comforting hum that was uniquely my home. When I saw what was at my door, those warm feelings left.

A note was stuck in the door, a small vase with slightly wilted flowers sitting below it on the porch. I cautiously pulled the note free like it might bite me and unfolded it.

 

Call me, or I’ll need to come find you.

Lester

 

A number was scrawled below it. My skin prickled and my breath stuttered.

Fuck.

I crushed the note in my hand, let out a frustrated yell, and gave that little vase an angry kick. My punting skills were poor and it bounced off the side of the house before spinning off the edge of the porch to land somewhere near the garbage can. A cheerful daisy escaped the vase and lay on its side on the wood of the porch. I moved quickly, stomping it, grinding it under my sole before kicking it over the edge to join the rest.

I was panting, my hands clenched into fists. That rotten fucker. After all that he’d done, he thought a vaguely threatening note and a little bouquet would send me running to him? Fuck that. I knew I needed to talk to Lester, convince him to leave me the fuck alone, but he could goddamn wait.

I unlocked my door and stomped inside then relocked it. I dumped the contents of my suitcase in the laundry room, rescued my toiletries and went back to my bedroom. I rifled my dresser quickly, pulling what I would need for a few days of work. I grabbed a few other things and then I was gone. I locked the door, grimacing at the smeared mark of the daisy on my porch.

Time to find a hotel for a few days.

 

By Friday I couldn’t stand it anymore. After work I got a quick bite to eat and went home. I’d washed clothes at a laundromat on Wednesday, feeling very uncomfortable the whole time. My clothes didn’t feel right afterwards. I made a mental note to avoid such publicly used washers and dryers in the future. I planned to strip as soon as I got in the door, do my evening routine, and get into some clothes that didn’t feel like they had a layer of residual depression and apathy on them.

It was a good plan. I liked it. It was so not going to happen.

I gazed at a neat row of bouquets in front of my door. The ones on the left were starting to wilt. There was one for every day I’d been gone. Fuck. Had he been at my house every day? Looking for me? Leaving a little present each day?

Dread hit me in the gut. I remembered the times as a kid I’d delayed the inevitable, avoided him when I knew he wanted me. I’d gone a whole week once without his touch. I’d been good, so good I wasn’t grounded for once. I’d gotten permission from Mom to stay overnight at a friend’s in order to work late on a project. I slept in the park that night. On the other nights, Mom was home, she’d traded shifts with another nurse who had a sick kid. When he’d finally gotten ahold of me it had been terrible. I missed two days of school and mom lectured me about getting into fights with kids who were so much bigger than me.

My hand clenched my suitcase handle as a shadow detached itself from the side of the house. My heart rate sped as it approached. I wanted to run, to fling my suitcase at him and get the fuck out of there, but I was frozen. My shoes were stuck to the sidewalk as my mouth went dry.

“Mick?” A concerned voice said gently.

Wait… what?

I blinked as Guy pulled from the shadow. I released the breath I’d been unconsciously holding. Shit, it was just Guy. Guy who wouldn’t make me bleed while telling me he loved me. Well, maybe he would, but he hadn’t so far and he really didn’t seem the type.

“Guy.” I sounded out of breath. “What the hell are you doing here?”

He stopped approaching and looked sheepish, which was amusing considering what he was.

“I was worried.” He said earnestly. “And you were supposed to be home, but you haven’t been.” He gestured to my bouquet-infested porch. “I brought the flowers every day, hoping you’d be here and I could apologize.”

“The flowers…” I rubbed a hand over my face, exhausted. “The flowers were from you?”

“Well, yeah.” He looked confused. “There’s a little card in each on those little plastic fork things.”

I hadn’t actually looked closely at the bouquet before I punted it. There had probably been a little card. I was too focused on the note from my ex-stepdad. I shivered thinking of it.

I straightened my spine and took a breath. I couldn’t react like this. I still needed to deal with Lester. I couldn’t do that cowering like a terrified rabbit. I needed to be able to talk to him rationally.

I stepped toward my front door, pulling my suitcase behind me. Tomorrow. I would call that rat bastard tomorrow. Tonight I just wanted to settle in and try to keep my brain from concocting ridiculous scenarios of doom. I wasn’t a kid anymore. He couldn’t hurt me like he used to.

Guy followed me up the steps.

“I’m sorry about what I said.” His voice contrite as I scooted several little vases to the side so I would be able to open my door.

I rummaged in my pocket for the key; wondering why when I wasn’t in a hurry I could unlock my door quickly and easily, but when I wanted to escape awkward werewolf apologies I just fumbled like I had flippers for hands. I was like a goddamned baby seal.

“S’fine,” I said, triumphantly yanking my keys from my pocket. “And you don’t have to keep coming around out of some sense of duty or like you have to take care of me or something. I’m alright.”

I shoved the key in the lock, but was stopped by Guy’s hand over mine.

“I didn’t come because of that,” He said gently. “I still want to see you.” His thumb stroked the skin over my knuckles. “I care about you, Mick.”

It was true. I felt it in his touch, seeping into my skin like warm sunshine.

I yanked my hand away and took a step back, shoulders hunched. “Well, you shouldn’t.”

“Haven’t we had this conversation already?” He slipped his arms around me and pulled me close. “Can’t we skip it and go straight to the kissing and touching?”

I grunted as I pushed back. “Stop it, Guy.” I tried to keep my wits and not be drawn in by his physical or emotional warmth.

“I really am sorry. I can see I was out of line.” He nuzzled my cheek. “It won’t happen again.”

I didn’t hear or see anything, but Guy’s head snapped up, eyes narrowing.

“You’re right.” I heard a cool voice drawl. “It won’t. Now I think you should let him go.”

I turned my head to see Takashi walking languidly up my sidewalk toward us. What the fuck was he doing here?

“Takashi?” I blinked dumbly. “What are you- I thought you were in Chicago.”

He nodded, approaching us slowly as I poked Guy’s bicep, trying to get him to stop hugging me.

“I was,” Takashi said simply, “until, Tuesday. Then the movers came. I’m mostly settled into my new place. I was in Iowa City today and thought I would stop by to see how you are.” His amber eyes shifted to narrow on Guy. “I’m glad I did.”

As Takashi looked him over, Guy’s hold on me tightened, making me squeak. “Guy, fucking seriously.”

Takashi joined us on the porch, looking over the line of sad bouquets.

Guy frowned at Takashi. I saw his nostrils flare as he tipped his head up slightly. His frown deepened. “Mick, you know him?”

“Yes, I know him,” I said with exasperation. “I met him on the job last weekend.”

Takashi’s lips turned up in a devilish smile. “And then we met some more later, then we met at my place.”

“Takashi!” I hissed. He wasn’t helping matters.

I was able to wrestle myself back enough that I had a few inches of space between my body and Guy’s. I still felt his flare of prickling jealousy.

Guy’s eyebrows drew down. “Mick, are you seriously consorting with his kind? He’ll bring you nothing good.”

“His kind?” I looked up at Guy’s scowling face.

He turned his dark look to Takashi.

Takashi raised an eyebrow. “Go ahead. Say it.”

“Demon.” Guy spat the word like it was a disgusting taste in his mouth.

My eyes opened comically wide. Takashi was a demon? Like a demon-demon? Was he hiding horns? Did he have a form with a little forked tail? It certainly explained the pointy teeth. Was he dangerous?

Takashi seemed completely untouched by Guy’s venomous tone.

“And you’re a bigot,” Takashi said coolly as he tossed his long ebony braid over his shoulder, “as well as other things.”

Guy sucked in an angry breath. “You can try to pretty it up however you like, but it’s what you are, demon.”

“Tch.” Takashi shook his head. “I suppose you would also call me a Jap or yellow since I’m Japanese.” Takashi’s shoulders went back as he stood straight. “I am youkai, puppy. You insult me out of fear and jealousy. They are ridiculous insults since your ancestors were also youkai.”

“Bullshit.” Guy growled. “We are werewolves.”

“Hm, maybe now.” Takashi said thoughtfully. “What happened to your ancestors’ foolish tribe is still lamented by the okami-youkai. Whatever did they do to get themselves cursed and tied to the moon?”

A low rolling growl vibrated through Guy’s chest. “I’m not like you.”

“Pfft. Of course not.” Takashi waved a hand. “I’m no okami. And you can call me names all you like, but sweet little Mick told you to stop and let him go. I think it’s time you did so.”

I only had a moment’s pause at my description as “sweet” and “little” before Guy’s swirling emotions of anger, jealousy, concern for me, and a touch of fear were starting to cause a pounding behind my right eye. Fuck. I just wanted to come home and chill out one night before I had to deal with a psycho ex-stepfather.

Guy’s hold tightened again, pulling me close. He pointedly looked away from the tall ebony-hair man to gaze down into my eyes. “Mick, I really want to-“

“So, you must be the door,” Takashi interrupted. His cool tone gone as his voice dripped distaste. “Tch.”

“I’m the what?” Guy seemed startled.

It took me a moment to remember. My bruises, I’d told Takashi I’d run into a door.

“I believe it would be in your best interests to remove your disgusting hands from him,” Takashi said archly, “before I tear your arms from their sockets.”

Shit.

“Takashi,” I sighed. “It’s not—“

“I don’t know who the hell you are,” Guy growled, “but I think you need to mind your own business and go away.”

“Why, so you can hurt him again? He told me about your,” Takashi’s lip curled, “behavior.”

Pain flashed in Guy’s eyes, and I noticed they were swiftly shifting to green. Well, crap.

“I know I made a mistake. But that’s between me and him.” He tucked me close to his chest and turned me further from Takashi.

I felt like a goddamn toy he didn’t want to share.

“Guy!” I barked, but my harsh tone was muffled with my face smooshed against his pecs.

Takashi noticed, however. I blinked and he was suddenly beside us, long fingers wrapped around Guy’s thick wrist, forcibly pulling Guy’s arm from my body. I saw Guy’s bicep and forearm strain against Takashi’s seemingly effortless hold. I made a mental note never to arm-wrestle a yokel, or whatever it was he’d called himself, if his kind could out-muscle a werewolf.

Guy curled me into his side with his remaining arm like an iron band around my waist. I tugged ineffectually, wheezing as he squeezed me too tight. Takashi’s eyes held ruby drops as they flicked to my face. I was suddenly free, stumbling forward, as Takashi gripped both of Guy’s wrists and held them away from me.

I rubbed my sore side as I scooted away from the two tall men. Guy was burlier than the slender Takashi. One would immediately think Guy would wipe the floor with the dancer, but muscle size didn’t seem to matter as he held Guy’s arms wide.

I could almost see the sparks as their angry gazes locked. The wave of emotions felt as though they were physically pushing me back.

“Okay, this is a misunderstanding. I think we need to—“ I began, but was interrupted by Guy’s furious snarl.

The big werewolf threw his weight to one side, dragging Takashi with him, then spun once while flinging his arms out. Takashi flew off my porch to land in a crouch next to my hydrangea bush.

It was like a switch was flipped and the fight was on. Guy leapt from the porch to tackle Takashi. They thankfully rolled away from my hydrangeas further onto the grass. A sawing roar ripped from Takashi and the air around him wavered. A moment later Guy snarled viciously.

Takashi’s clothes either disappeared or flowed into his skin, it was hard to tell. There was a moment of him gloriously nude, grappling with an enraged Guy, before satiny black fur flowed from his back to his front then down his arms and legs. Where the fur touched Takashi’s body changed. Joints and muscles shifted wherever satin black overtook skin. In moment a huge black cat was grappling with Guy. As they moved I noticed Takashi seemed to have more than one tail.

Guy’s transition was nowhere as smooth. His clothes tore as bones crunched then lengthened, joints popping wetly. His fur burst from shoulders that had just ripped his shirt as they rotated strangely then widened. The mahogany fur ran haphazardly in all directions, sometimes covering a part that still looked human, sometimes flowing over muscle and bone contorted into clearly inhuman proportions. It was painful to watch. I flinched as a shoulder snapped wetly, clearly dislocating, before shifting to a new position. That had to hurt. Guy’s change took longer, he continued wrestling with the giant black cat Takashi had become even as muscles and bones moved. Finally, it was a deep brown wolf with a creamy belly snarling at the huge cat.

They knocked into each other and rolled, growling and snapping. Jesus, this was ridiculous. I sighed gustily. A thrill went through me as I saw a figure at the end of my sidewalk. I thought a neighbor must have come to see what the ruckus was. Fuck!

As I looked closer I noticed fiery spikes of red hair on a slender man I knew was just a little shorter than me. Riley. He sidestepped around the great beasts scuffling on my lawn like I would have gone around a mud puddle, unconcerned but not wanting any part of it. He stepped up to join me on the porch.

He hugged me, stroking his fingers down my arms as he pulled back. His touch was calming and gentle. He glanced over to see Takashi give Guy a vicious nip to the base of his tail, making the wolf yelp then snarl.

“Well, they’re lively,” Riley commented dryly.

“Oh, goddammit!” I shouted. “Stay out of the flowerbeds!”

They didn’t listen, squashing my cute little grape hyacinths without mercy.

“That is fucking it,” I snapped, stomping down the steps.

I tromped to the side of the house and grabbed my weapon of choice and spun the knob. In a moment I was back to the front. I pointed the nozzle at the black and brown beasties making a mess of my yard. They were getting dangerously close to my hydrangeas.

“Don’t you fucking dare!” I hollered, then squeezed the trigger.

Last year I’d had trouble with two tom cats fighting in my yard at night. Takashi and Guy’s shocked expressions were similar as icy-cold hose water came down on their heads, drenching them. They froze, Guy’s teeth gripping Takashi’s shoulder, Takashi’s claws sunk into Guy’s flank.

“Takashi, Guy isn’t the fucker who smacked me around. It was my asshole ex-stepdad, Lester.” I turned off the spray but kept it pointed threateningly. “Now, you cut out this bullshit.” I dropped the nozzle and stomped up the steps. “When you are ready to behave yourselves, I will fucking be inside with Riley.”

I flung the door wide, knocking over several vases. I gestured Riley to go in before me. He smirked as he walked in.

“Sure you wouldn’t rather be inside fucking Riley?” He winked impishly.

I gave him a light swat on the hip. “Don’t you start.” I looked back over my shoulder at the damp beasts who were still eyeing each other distrustfully. Guy shook, spattering droplets all over Takashi. The big cat laid his ears back and hissed.

“Ugh,” I groaned, walking into my living room to flop on the couch next to Riley. “It’s going to smell like wet shapeshifter in here when they come in.”

I blew a raspberry and stood back up. “Fuck it. I’m taking a shower and trying to settle the hell down.” I tossed Riley the TV remote. “Holler if you need me, but tell Guy if he bugs me for any reason before I come out I’m going to have him neutered.”

I left a chuckling Riley to figure out how to turn on my electronics, hoping I would be in a better mindset to deal with things after I was clean, cut, band-aided, and in my pajamas.

 

 

 

 

 

*content/trigger warnings: Arguing, abuse mention, fighting, rampant misunderstandings, improper use of water hose, disregard for hyacinths.

 

 


Thanks to Maddam Redder for proofreading help!

Copyright © 2017 Rambling Robin; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 28
  • Love 2
  • Haha 3
  • Wow 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Ha, ha, ha that was hilarious. A nice chapter to ligthen up after all the heavy stuff. When Guy and Tas started fighting, I was just waiting for the water hose and I was all YES ! when they got it. I hope this means more chapters soon.

Oh and that he is sensible enough to get them to help with Lester. :pissed:

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 07/12/2014 03:04 PM, Timothy M. said:
Ha, ha, ha that was hilarious. A nice chapter to ligthen up after all the heavy stuff. When Guy and Tas started fighting, I was just waiting for the water hose and I was all YES ! when they got it. I hope this means more chapters soon.

Oh and that he is sensible enough to get them to help with Lester. :pissed:

I'm so glad you liked it! It was fun to write. I've been looking forward to this chapter for a while. It feels so short, but it's over 3,000 words! And you want Mick to be sensible?! Oh dear. I'm afraid you may be yelling at him in the next chapter the way I yell at actors in horror movies. >.< "What are you doing?! Don't go into the haunted house/dark forest/creepy attic alone! Gah!" I hope you can forgive me.
  • Like 2
Link to comment

I was hoping to see a new chapter sometime soon. It had been a while. It was worth it. I laughed at the clashing personalities. so, I hope we get told more about what Takashi is. if he's a shapeshifter, then why is guy calling him a demon? takashi is always good for information on the paranormal. he cleared lots up for them in Chicago. Anyway, it was really funny to see the clash. paranormal or not, guys will posture huh! I was glad to see Guy hold is own against Takashi. takashi seems to be pretty powerful and old, so I was worried for poor young Guy. Glad to see he gave as good as he got. I laughed when Riley showed up too. I hope he and Mick can be friends and he can help Mick out. Mick will need Takashi and Riley in his life if he's to figure out more about who he is and what that means for him. I think Riley and Takashi could be god for one another though. They share their affinity for bdsm. We shall see.

Mick was hilarious when he went and got the hose. that sorted things out well since no one would have listened to reason. It was annoying when he didn't say anything to clear things up when Takashi assumed Guy was 'the door.' but it was worth it to see that fight, I bet :) it should be an interesting party when Mick comes out of the bathroom. Now we have to see if he insists on letting the guys protect him from lester, but I have a feeling he won't let anyone fight his battles. And lester is too much of a pussy to approach him when he's not alone.

Hope to see more before so much time passes!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 07/13/2014 03:09 PM, Cannd said:
I was hoping to see a new chapter sometime soon. It had been a while. It was worth it. I laughed at the clashing personalities. so, I hope we get told more about what Takashi is. if he's a shapeshifter, then why is guy calling him a demon? takashi is always good for information on the paranormal. he cleared lots up for them in Chicago. Anyway, it was really funny to see the clash. paranormal or not, guys will posture huh! I was glad to see Guy hold is own against Takashi. takashi seems to be pretty powerful and old, so I was worried for poor young Guy. Glad to see he gave as good as he got. I laughed when Riley showed up too. I hope he and Mick can be friends and he can help Mick out. Mick will need Takashi and Riley in his life if he's to figure out more about who he is and what that means for him. I think Riley and Takashi could be god for one another though. They share their affinity for bdsm. We shall see.

Mick was hilarious when he went and got the hose. that sorted things out well since no one would have listened to reason. It was annoying when he didn't say anything to clear things up when Takashi assumed Guy was 'the door.' but it was worth it to see that fight, I bet :) it should be an interesting party when Mick comes out of the bathroom. Now we have to see if he insists on letting the guys protect him from lester, but I have a feeling he won't let anyone fight his battles. And lester is too much of a pussy to approach him when he's not alone.

Hope to see more before so much time passes!

Wow! What a wonderful review! I'm sorry it's been so long. Life is ridiculously busy. And Guy is fierce in a fight! Werewolves are pretty badass when it comes to brute strength. I don't know if he would have beaten Takashi, but he would have given him a run for his money. There will be a bit more explanation in the next chapter about youkai and such. So, hopefully that will clear things up. And Mick tried to tell Takashi Guy wasn't the one who hit him, but those too weren't listening and everything happened too fast. Thank you so much for your thoughts! I hope you like the next chapter. Hopefully it won't be so long coming.
  • Like 2
Link to comment

Great chapter! They go by so fast at only 3,000 words :'( I confess I am one of those people who will read a whole book in one day.

Anyway, I hope Guy and Takashi can get along once everything gets straightened out. I like them both. Although......I don't think werewolves are generally the sharing sort?

Well I hope you post another chapter soon! It makes my day whenever I see new chapters posted in the stories I follow.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 07/22/2014 02:10 PM, Aquarius said:
Great chapter! They go by so fast at only 3,000 words :'( I confess I am one of those people who will read a whole book in one day.

Anyway, I hope Guy and Takashi can get along once everything gets straightened out. I like them both. Although......I don't think werewolves are generally the sharing sort?

Well I hope you post another chapter soon! It makes my day whenever I see new chapters posted in the stories I follow.

Thank you so much, you made my day with this review! And I am like you, I read a book in a day if I like it. I hope you like the next chapter. Thank you for the review!
  • Like 1
Link to comment

The hose! Completely priceless! So funny!

 

I'm thinking that even if Mick insists on dealing with Lester on his own, I have a feeling he won't be able to shake his little entourage. And then Lester won't know what hit him. Literally...

  • Like 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..