Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Prophylaxis - 29. Chapter 29

Content/trigger warning: Mention of self-harm, Zeru is a brat, mind control, danger kink, control kink, D/s.

It was another day before I was able to go home. Which frustrated the crap out of me.

 

Apparently, I had to say formal goodbyes to some court people I’d never met before as well as King Tiggre and his consort. While waiting for my audience with the fancy people, Lady Eldfluga used the time to put me through my paces. I flipped back and forth from brown hair to silver, dark navy eyes to eerie light blue-gray, skin tone pale to deep tan, and ears rounded to pointed. I expected it to tire me out, but it didn’t. My skin tingled with the magic. It was exhilarating. At first, it was exciting and interesting. That faded after what felt like the millionth time I switched.

 

When I finally put my foot down, she left with a frown and an admonition to contact her with questions and to receive instructions for further lessons. She was my tutor, she informed me, my level of control and education reflected on her. Goody. I hated homework.

 

After that the wait was less boring. We practiced using my bossy voice. Riley especially enjoyed it, if the tent in his pants and the gleam in his eyes were any indication. I usually wasn't very dom, but Riley seemed to bring it out in me. Seeing him follow my orders while trying, and failing, to resist was undeniably hot in a kinky, twisted way. He'd asked me to do it, suggesting things to order him to do. So, it was entirely consensual. Still, forcing him to crawl across the floor and kiss my knee, I discovered I definitely wasn't into foot kissing, while his lovely face twisted in concentration as he fought it… Unf. Yummy.

 

I made Riley crawl over to Takashi for another kiss. The bakeneko was pleased to help.

 

"If you really want to test the ability," Zeru piped up from the sofa across the room, his place of banishment, "you should make him kiss someone he'd be more reluctant to kiss." He tried to sound casual, not hopeful.

 

Riley made a yucky face and I grinned.

 

"Hmm, you might be right."

 

Zeru sat up straight, like a dog who'd just heard someone shake the milkbone box.

 

"Hey, Guy?" I asked the werewolf sweetly. "Do you mind if I make Riley kiss you? For science, of course."

 

Guy's cheeks turned pink. Was there anything more adorable than a huge, muscular man blushing?

 

"If, uh… If Riley doesn't mind, I guess that would be alright." Guy glanced at Riley kneeling on the floor looking very interested. "I don't want him to do anything he really doesn't want to do."

 

Zeru grumbled from the couch but didn't say anything more. Riley smiled sweetly at Guy.

 

"I think it's a good idea," the redheaded fae said with forced seriousness. He seemed to either be fighting back a giggle or a sneeze. His scrunched nose was about as cute as Guy's blush. This was way too entertaining.

 

"Okay, then. But you need to fight it as hard as you can," I told Riley, hoping I didn't look as though I was about to burst into giggles, myself. "Like I said, this is for science."

 

Guy crossed his arms over his broad chest and looked at the ceiling in amused exasperation.

 

"Riley, crawl to Guy." My words were heavy with compulsion. I was getting better at it. Go, me.

 

Riley moved sinuously across the floor, lower back dipping with each rolling shift of hip, thigh, shoulder, or arm. Fuck. I had to adjust myself just watching. I would have looked like an uncoordinated doofus on my hands and knees, shuffling along. Riley was all sultry grace. I needed him to teach me how to do that. When Guy looked down at him, I saw the big man swallow hard.

 

“You don’t look like you’re fighting very hard, Riley,” Takashi noted, sounding more amused than chastening.

 

Riley stopped at Guy’s feet, sitting back on his heels. His green gaze traveled up the werewolf’s long legs, pausing at Guy’s admittedly impressive package before sliding up slowly to his face.

 

“Sorry,” Riley said, licking his lips. “I’ll try harder.”

 

“If you want him to stop, Guy, tell me, alright?” I said. This was only fun if Mr. Hunkywolf was willing and having a good time.

 

Guy’s hazel eyes met mine. I was worried for a moment before one side of his lips quirked up and he dropped me a quick wink and a nod. Oh, hell yes. Guy was on board.

 

Riley was still kneeling patiently at Guy’s feet, hands loose and relaxed on his thighs. I was a little jealous of him, in that moment. He seemed so comfortable in his skin, in his submission.

 

Riley, touch Guy’s feet with your fingers.

 

He was honestly fighting it, this time. His hands shook as he was forced to lift them from his thighs. His breaths came faster as he was able to stop them, for a moment. His trembling fingers hovered in the air, unable to push them back down but struggling not to follow my directions. With a whine, he lost the battle. His fingertips fell forward to rest atop Guy’s bare feet. Riley peeked up at Guy, still breathing hard. The taller man looked down, arms still crossed over his chest, but his eyes were warm.

 

“You did well,” Guy said softly, gently. “Very good.”

 

Riley’s eyelids fluttered, his shoulders relaxing as a soft moan slipped from his lips. Guy just smiled like he’d figured something out.

 

“You like knowing when you’ve done well. I like giving well-deserved praise. Win-win, yeah?” Guy tilted his head thoughtfully. “Is there something I should say or something I should call you when I’m especially happy with you?”

 

Riley bit his lower lip, looking uncertain.

 

Answer him.” I wanted to know, too.

 

“Anything,” Riley blurted. “Anything affectionate or sweet that tells me I’m special, that I’ve pleased you.”

 

“You have a praise kink,” Takashi said with a smile. “That’s one of my favorites. Guy figured it out first, though. Didn’t he?”

 

Guy just smiled, reaching down to pet Riley’s red and orange hair. “You please me very much, sweetheart.”

 

Riley let out a soft sigh of happiness.

 

“Do you want me to keep going?” I asked. “We can stop and go have a snuggle.”

 

“No.” Riley’s eyes were locked to Guy’s. “Keep going. Make me do it while I fight it.” A shudder went through him. “Please.”

 

“Guy?”

 

“Oh, yeah. He’s been so good, so strong.” The werewolf’s voice was low and smokey. Sexy bastard. “I want to see him struggle, see his face when his will cracks and he has no choice but to submit to someone else’s will.”

 

Dayum. I wanted Guy to dirty-talk me in that voice. Later.

 

Focus.

 

Move your hands upward. Touch him.

 

Riley's fingers curled into fists where they rested atop Guy's bare feet.

 

"I see you fighting it," Guy murmured. "So good for me, aren't you, sweetheart?"

 

Riley straight up moaned. It seemed to distract him, though, because his hands started moving upward. They curled around Guy’s ankles for a long moment before tracing a path up the taller man’s shins, the outsides of his knees. He paused there, resisting the compulsion. I was about to give him a verbal push when his hands started moving again, twitching every once in a while.

 

“So good. Very nice,” Guy told Riley, voice warm and gentle. “You’re strong, aren’t you? Doing so well.”

 

Riley whimpered, shifting his hips, his hands slipping slowly up the fronts of Guy’s thighs. His fingers and thumb outlined Guy’s package, pausing before continuing up to slip under the taller man’s shirt.

 

Stand, Riley. Keep your hands moving up to Guy’s shoulders.

 

Riley shook his head, the locks of his flame-hued hair shining in the light of the room. He tried to stay where he was. I could see his hands clenching into fists under Guy’s shirt. Riley jerked once and he was on his feet, fingers tracing under the cloth. Guy sucked in a breath and I thought Riley must have found his nipples. The petite fae’s hands stayed there for several long moments before pulling from under the shirt and rising again, skating up Guy’s abdomen and pecs, before resting on the werewolf’s broad shoulders. Riley’s fingers weren’t idle, they caressed and stroked, occasionally sneaking under the neckline to trace bare skin.

 

“If I didn’t know what you were doing, that it was a compulsion…” Riley peeked over at me. “If I wasn’t braced for it, I don’t think I could fight it at all. It gets harder to resist.”

 

“That’s good to know,” I told him. “Is it obvious that I’m doing some magical mumbo-jumbo?”

 

“Kind of.” Riley tipped his head to the side, fingertips still petting Guy. “Maybe you should try a more subtle approach in addition to what we’ve been doing.” He licked his lips, a quick swipe of pink. “And you have my permission to compel me when I’m not expecting it. See if you can make it so I don’t know you’re doing it.”

 

“That’s an excellent suggestion,” Takashi noted. “There may be times when subtle persuasion will be more helpful than obvious force.”

 

Riley blushed and smiled, moving closer to Guy to tuck his pink face against the were’s chest. Riley looked so small next to Guy. It made me want to curl up with them and cuddle the crap out of Riley. Oddly, it also sparked the desire to have Guy pin Riley down while I had my wicked way with the sexy redhead. Hmmm, maybe I could do both.

 

Guy quirked a smile and he rubbed his hands soothingly up and down Riley’s back. “You could try the subtle approach to have him kiss me,” Guy offered, then looked at me, hands stilling. He looked worried. “Unless that’s not okay with either of you. We haven’t really talked about how all of us fit together.” Guy frowned. “I said I was fine with you being with Takashi and Riley, Mick, and I meant it. I want you to have what you need and if I start feeling jealous, we can talk it out. I can’t guarantee I won’t screw up sometimes, but I want to be with you. I want to try.” His hazel eyes went to the sweet-faced fae nuzzling his chest. Guy swallowed and I could see the interest, the desire in his gaze. “I guess we need to figure out where I fit in.” Guy’s eyes found me again. “If you want me just to be with you, I can accept that.”

 

Riley turned his head and pouted at me.

 

“I’m pretty sure I’m not the only one in this room who wants something beyond handshakes and hugs from you, Guy,” I told him.

 

“I want more,” Riley said firmly, pressing himself tighter to Guy.

 

“I would be open to it, as well,” Takashi added, eyes the color of rich honey were warm as they traveled over the sexy picture Riley and Guy made.

 

“Am I invited to the party?” Zeru asked from across the room. He sighed dramatically when Riley glared at him. “Of course I’m not. Well, just in case it ever does come up, I fancy the lot of you. Especially the little feisty one.”

 

Guy caught Riley before he could do anything violent, lifting the smaller fae up against him until Riley’s feet left the floor and the pair were face to face.

 

“I’m withholding judgment on Zeru until I know him better,” Guy said. “But you and Takashi as well as Mick? Yeah, I’m interested. We’ll have to talk more at some point, figure things out. I like to know boundaries. There’s got to be a greater risk of someone getting hurt with more people involved. I don’t know how this all is going to turn out, but I want to try.”

 

Riley made a sweet, happy noise as he flung his arms around the back of Guy’s neck to pull the bigger man into a searing kiss. Zeru was groaning with jealousy when there was a tapping at the door.

 

It was time to say our goodbyes to the Dark Court.

 

I was looking very fae for my court audience with silvery hair and pale eyes like a Siamese cat. The men came with me, looking as spiffy as I did in the clothes that had appeared in our room. Although Guy had needed to smooth his hair from Riley mussing it during their lip lock. I didn’t thank the Hollow directly for the clothes, but everyone made obvious comments about how comfortable they were and how nicely they fit. I felt the Hollow’s pleasure, so I felt less silly about announcing things like that out loud.

 

The audience was thankfully quick. A tiny woman with bright green hair who only came to my waist seemed to be our handler. She showed up at our door holding a bundle of scrolls in one arm and an iPad in the other hand. She was constantly referring to the scrolls or the iPad and looked more than a little frazzled. She finally herded us all to the throne room and announced us grandly. There was quite a bit of bowing. I took my cues from everyone else. The king’s ebony eyes stayed on me the whole time. They were dark and intense. It made me feel like he was touching me wherever his eyes landed. It was exciting and frightening at the same time. By the time we were dismissed, I couldn’t remember anything that was said and my shoulder muscles were a mass of tense knots.

 

The little green-haired woman bustled us out and down a hall with a high arched ceiling, then through a thick wooden door into a room filled with mirrors. I stumbled a little, not expecting the sight before me. There were mirrors of all sizes. Each one had a frame. Some were wildly ornate to the point of being garish. Others were simple and unadorned. The glass in some looked old and tarnished at the edges while others seemed shiny and new. It was unsettling, seeing all of us reflected and then reflections of our reflections surrounding us.

 

“Hmmmmm,” our handler murmured as she looked at the mirrors with a critical eye. She peered at us next. “Iowa, hmmm? What’s the closest city to your destination?”

 

“Uhh, it would be in Iowa City,” I told her.

 

“So, South-East Iowa. Are you familiar with the most stable ley line in the area?” She looked at my obvious confusion for a moment before sighing and saying under her breath, “Of course you’re not.” She tapped on her iPad and tipped her head thoughtfully from side to side. “I have viable exits in downtown Iowa City at a drinking establishment, the University of Iowa Hardin Library, Oakland Cemetery, Terry Trueblood Recreation Center, and Oak Grove Park. I can expand to the surrounding areas if none of these are acceptable.”

 

“Oh, ah, Oak Grove Park would actually work really well,” I told her. That wasn’t far from my house. I looked at the others. “Unless somewhere else would be better. Should we go to your… business in Cedar Rapids?” I asked Takashi.

 

The green-haired fae tried and failed to stifle a long-suffering sigh.

 

“Is your home far from the park?” Riley asked me.

 

I shook my head.

 

“Then let’s go there,” Takashi said as Guy nodded his agreement.

 

“Oh, lovely.” The fae said with a tight, professional smile. “We’ve made a decision, then?” She didn’t wait for us to say anything before herding us toward a mirror that took up a large section of wall. “I assume you’re all familiar with mirror travel?”

 

“Ummmm…” I hedged.

 

I gave her credit, she didn’t yell at me or smack me. Her voice was clipped but professional as she spoke. “I’ll take care of the wayfinding. So, all you need to do is touch the mirror and it will carry you through. Keep your hands and arms close to your body and your knees unlocked. Expect a bump on arrival. Step clear quickly to allow those following room.” She handed me a small bag with a strap. “Our king has generously provided a communications and travel enchantment to make your visits more convenient for you. Please place them on different mirrors. It’s not advisable for novices to use the same mirrors for travel and communication. Directions for use have been included. There’s a number you can call at the bottom for troubleshooting.” She folded her hands and smiled. “Any other questions?”

 

I had several, but I kept them behind my teeth.

 

“Your assistance has been most helpful,” Takashi told her.

 

She blushed and her professional smile turned much warmer. “Of course, it is a delight to serve.”

 

She stood back and waited expectantly.

 

“I’ll go first,” Takashi said. “Then Riley. We have experience with this kind of travel. So does Zeru but he’ll want to come through with you as your guard.”

 

The ruby-eyed fae nodded. “Hard to guard a body I’m not with and I can block travel diversions and keep our essences from crossing,” he told me with a wink.

 

I had no idea what that meant, but it seemed good that he could do whatever it was.

 

“Then Guy, followed by Zeru and Mick. Agreed?” Takashi asked.

 

There weren’t any arguments. I think we all wanted out of there. Takashi stepped forward. I watched in fascination as he reached out and touched the surface of the glass with a fingertip before tucking his arms to his sides and lowering his chin. I expected him to be sucked in or lights flashing. Instead, the mirror rippled like water and Takashi vanished. When the mirror was still again, Riley stepped forward. He used the back of his hand to touch the glass. The mirror did its little wave and Riley was simply gone. Guy followed, looking uneasy. Then it was my turn.

 

“First ride on the paths?” Zeru asked with a roguish grin as he herded me forward.

 

“I don’t remember much of how I got here,” I admitted.

 

“Not to worry,” my guard said cheerfully. “I’ve got you.”

 

He stood behind me, wrapping one arm around my middle. I clutched the little bag the fae woman had given to me.

 

“Keep those arms tucked in,” Zeru said against my ear, making me shiver. But I squashed my arms and hands close to my body. I missed seeing him touch the mirror. The world flashed bright and then dark around me. It felt like I was flung into the air and I choked back a shriek. Then there was a jarring impact and everything was still. I cracked open one eye and then the other. My vision was blurry for a long second and there was a roaring in my ears.

 

My sight and hearing snapped back to normal and I could hear a soft wind rustling leaves above me. The grass under my feet was vibrant green with dark violets dotted here and there. When I looked up, there were several large trees. Further off was a kids’ play structure and swingset. I knew that beyond that was a sandy area with things kids could sit on and use the handles to dig. We were at the back end of Oak Grove Park, mostly hidden by a copse of trees and bushes. It was just a short walk to my house.

 

Holy crap, I was back home.

 

:::::::

 

There were a few odd glances as we walked. We were still dressed in Hollow chic. We didn’t quite look like we belonged at a Renaissance Festival, but there were a lot of leather boots and soft fabrics with lacing. Not a zipper in sight. This was Iowa City, though. The town was used to much weirder from the college students. I let out a heavy breath when we were finally inside my door. Guy, Takashi, Riley, and Zeru looked at me expectantly.

 

“Shower. Normal clothes,” I told them, walking through my living room. “These are my priorities. Then maybe a friggin’ nap.” I frowned. “Then I guess I need to call my family and tell the cops Guy didn’t murder me a bunch.” I waffled my fingers in the air. “Eat whatever you’d like. Chill on the couch. Watch some porn on the laptop, whatever. And if you can help me brainstorm what the fuck I’m going to tell the police about what happened, that would be amazing.”

 

As I continued on to grab a clean towel and clothes from the laundry room, I heard Zeru say softly, “Ooo, porn…” Which was followed by a smack that, no doubt, was delivered by Riley.

 

Clean, smelling like my own soap and shampoo, and wearing clothing with buttons and modern fastenings left me feeling much more myself. It was still surreal not to need to hurt myself to get rid of the emotional detritus of people I’d been around. So far, my empathy was behaving itself in a way it never had in my life. I looked in the mirror, wiping a swath of condensation clear with the towel. I let my glamour drop, seeing myself with pointy ears and silver hair darkened to steel with water. I pulled the glamour back around me, back to the self I was used to. The me I knew but not who I really was. I still had trouble wrapping my head around it all, that my abilities had been muted, muffled, and my appearance changed to more human norms. That magic had been meant to be used only for a few years, until I was old enough to be brought back to my fae family.

 

They’d never come. Because they were dead. All killed by some fucked up fairy queen with a grudge. The magic that was hiding me had twisted and soured. My abilities had been there, but were so different now that the warped glamour was gone. It was like I’d been living behind dirty glass for all my life. It had smeared and smudged me, leaving me dirty and hurt while keeping me from seeing.

 

On the walk home, I’d felt people in cars and houses. I could have crawled into their heads and looked through all their thoughts and memories like someone browsing at a bookstore. I passed and the things I’d sensed fell away when we’d gone about a block. I could stretch my empathy further to keep track of someone or I could settle things down and block what I picked up on. I’d even been able to mute the thoughts and emotions of a woman who’d passed us on the sidewalk while quickly untangling some interesting neuroses of her little yappy dog. I’d missed a few steps, frozen while I processed all of it. The woman had skirted us, giving me some serious side-eye. The dog had barked like a nutcase for another few moments, then suddenly shut up. His tense little body had visibly relaxed, his tongue lolling out as he trotted along with his owner. My gang of fellas had looked concerned, but I’d smiled like a loon at them and kept walking.

 

I turned from the bathroom mirror and rubbed the towel through my currently brown hair. Clothes on, hair brushed back, and I was semi-ready to face the fellas and the real world.

 

:::::::

 

The real world was entirely a pain in my ass.

Everyone cycled through the shower after we’d come up with a story to explain my near-death experience and Guy’s involvement. While the others drained my water heater, I picked up the house phone, muttering to myself about needing a bigger model of water heater if people were going to be here often. Hell, I needed a bigger bathroom. From the way none of them seemed to be showing any inclination of leaving, a herd of people in my house was probably going to be a much more common occurrence than I’d ever had. I was practically a damned hermit before everything had gone crazy. Now I wasn’t sure if I wanted to go back to that solitude or start picking out curtains with the bunch of men hanging around my house.

 

I called my sister and mom first. They were both very happy I was back home, concerned for my well-being, and threatened to show up on my doorstep to look after me.

 

“Rosie, please,” I begged. “I just… I need a little time. I need to call the cops after this and it’s going to be a mess.” I rubbed a hand over my face. “Hell, I don’t know if I’m going to be arrested for hiding from them or something.”

 

“They won’t arrest you for that,” my sister scoffed and I heard my mother murmur her agreement. Great, I was on speakerphone. “And if things are going to be rough, we should be there with you!”

 

How the fuck was I going to keep them away? They were like a pair of mama bears. I didn’t want them near all the craziness that seemed to swirl around me. What if my glamour failed and they saw me? If Lester was still alive, he could show up and scare or hurt them. My house was full of strange men and I was fucking all but one of them. Rosie would probably high-five me but I didn’t know how Mom would take it. I never really dated or brought men around. She always seemed supportive of my preference for men over women, but the idea of it and being faced with her son’s boyfriend could be completely different. Then, to see me slutting it up with three men? I didn’t think I could take the possibility of disappointment or horror on her face.

 

There were fae from the Seelie Court that were trying to kill me. I didn’t trust the Unseelie and their king, either. No matter that King Tiggre had saved my ass before fucking it. He’d tried to pull a fast one on me to keep me with him like some kind of sex pet. I shuddered thinking of it. He’d almost had me agreeing to anything he wanted. A sick knot twisted in my stomach. In just a few months I’d have to go back there and do it all over again.

 

If I was honest with myself, which I occasionally tried to be, there was more than just concern for my mother and sister’s safety. I didn’t want to face them after everything that had happened since Lester had caught me like a stupid fish. I felt foolish and dirty. I felt a shame so heavy I thought it must be covering me like a second skin. I was used to other people’s unpleasant emotions covering me, but this was all mine and I couldn’t wash it off. It seemed like a mark other people should be able to see, a scarlet letter of my own. Only it would be a D for dipshit or I for idiot. Maybe SV for stupid fucking victim.

 

“Nate? Nate!”

 

I shook my head, focusing back on the conversation. How long had I been zoned out?

 

“It’s fine. I have everything under control here. I really just need some time to myself to get things settled. You know that it’s all a big whirlwind when you or Mom visits. I love you guys, but…I dunno…” I rubbed the back of my neck. “Please? I’ll text you both everyday. I really need some space after everything. I need…I need some time. If you’re here I’m going to worry and,” I paused, eyes drawn to the werewolf who was nearby acting as though he wasn’t listening, “I’m really not alone. Guy is here. He’s trained to deal with this kind of thing. I swear, it’s okay.”

 

“I don’t know,” Rosie said, but she was weakening. “Are you sure? Like, really super positive? We want to see you, see that you’re okay. Can you at least video-call sometime soon? I think that’s the only thing that will hold off Mom, if she can really see you’re okay.”

 

I could tell it was something my sister needed, too.

 

“Yeah, I’ll call after suppertime, alright?”

 

“Good. You better.” Rosie sighed. “I love you, big bro.”

 

“Love you, too, squirt.” I swallowed hard. “I-I’ll see you tonight. Promise.”

 

We said goodbye and hung up, my chest aching.

 

“You alright, Mick?” Guy asked softly, stepping closer.

 

I nodded, then shook my head. Fuck if I knew.

 

He rested a hand on my shoulder as though afraid I’d leap away. I didn’t. I leaned toward him and he pulled me close, wrapping me in those big strong arms.

 

“You smell so sad,” Guy said, barely a whisper. “I wish I could help.”

 

“You are,” I told him, squeezing him back. “You all are. It’s just…everything’s kind of fucked right now. I have so much to do and I just want to hide under the covers and sleep for a year. But I need to call the cops and work and tell them I’m alive. Later I have to try to look normal for a video-call with my family. I don’t feel very normal.”

 

“You’re you, and that’s okay, however you are.”

 

I looked up to see Riley over Guy’s broad shoulder, his flame-hued hair lying in damp locks against his forehead.

 

“And we’re here for you, whatever that means,” Guy added. “So, what can we do that will help?”

 

I took a deep, rib-cracking breath and let it out slowly.

 

“Sit with me while I call the coppers and tell them I’m not wormfood?”

 

“We can do that,” Riley said while Guy rubbed his cheek on the top of my head.

 

********************

 

The police weren’t content with just a phone call. Imagine that. They were coming over to visit.

 

I sighed, sitting in the middle of my couch with Takashi and Guy on either side, Riley perched on the arm, and Zeru quite happy in my recliner next to the television.

 

“You don’t have to stay, you know,” I said awkwardly, fiddling with the wooden bracelet the Hollow had given me. It still wouldn’t come off.

 

“We know,” Takashi said with a shrug. “We’re not leaving.”

 

I fought not to sigh again.

 

“I know Zeru has to stay, he was ordered to.”

 

The crimson-eyed fae gave me a little salute and popped the footrest out on the recliner, looking pleased.

 

“But the rest of you…you hardly know me. I appreciate everything you’ve done, I mean seriously, you saved my ass. All of you.” I slowly spun the bracelet, the wood smooth against my skin. I didn’t look up. “You have lives and things to do. You put all that on hold. You have to want to get back to things. You’re not obligated to stay. Really, I’m okay.”

 

I was forced to raise my face by a gentle push under my chin. I found myself gazing into deep hazel eyes.

 

“You’re not an obligation to me. I’m here because I wanted to be,” Guy told me, voice gentle but serious. “I know I haven’t really known you long, but you’re the one I petitioned to pursue. I’ve never done that with anyone before. You don’t have to petition if the person is a were, and I’ve dated pack, but never seriously.” Guy took my hands, stopping my fidgeting. “I’m serious with you. I want you. Nothing that’s happened has changed that.” It was his turn to look away. “If you choose to reject my suit, I’ll…well, I guess I’ll have to make myself accept that. Even if it’s the last thing I want. But I won’t leave. I’ll sleep on the couch, but I’m damn well not leaving you until everything is sorted out and you’re safe.”

 

Relief buzzed through me in a rush that left my skin prickling and chilled.

 

“I don’t want you to sleep on the couch,” I said simply.

 

Guy beamed at me like it was Christmas and I’d gotten him a pony or something.

 

I turned my head to peek at Takashi and Riley, behind him on the armrest.

 

“Don’t even start,” Riley told me sharply. “I’m not going anywhere.”

 

“But-”

 

“Nope.”

 

“Riley…”

 

The red-headed fae crossed his arms over his chest and looked away from me. Zeru snorted from his lounging position.

 

“You won’t get rid of him and you don’t want to, anyway,” Zeru said as he fiddled with his cell phone. Little noises chirped from it like he was playing a game. “You’ve fascinated each other.”

 

Zeru!” Riley hissed, face flaming scarlet.

 

“Oh, come on,” the blond fae said with a delicate snort, rolling his head to the side to look at us with his odd ruby eyes. “It’s nothing to be embarrassed about, sweetheart. The Summer Court can be so prudish. It’s natural and normal, all things considered.” Zeru shrugged and went back to matching colors of cartoon poodles and chickens. “And you could certainly do worse than Mick. He’s a catch.” He looked up just long enough to wink at me. “And my heart can take it. I’m not so insecure that I can’t share.” Zeru paused his game and looked thoughtful. “I rather like sharing, in the right circumstances.”

 

Riley flung a throw pillow at his head, beaning him hard. Riley had a helluva arm.

 

“Shut ye’ mouth, now,” Riley bellowed, an accent cracking through in his anger. Then he fell into a language I couldn’t begin to decipher.

 

Zeru just grinned and answered in the same language, his lilt soft and teasing. That didn’t seem to calm Riley down in the least.

 

I leaned toward Takashi, eyes wide. “What just happened?” I whispered.

 

“My old Gaelic isn’t perfect, but I believe Riley just suggested that Zeru’s parents were brother and sister rodents of some kind. Zeru seems to find it entertaining.” Takashi sighed softly and looked at me. “Zeru probably isn’t wrong about the fascination, though.” At my confused gaze, he continued. “Fae, highborn or not, have a tendency to get a bit caught up in things… or people. It’s driven some to great mastery of weapons, magic, or technology. Others have gone more than a bit crazy. Think mild obsession, but less creepy.” Takashi thought for a moment. “It’s how quite a few humans have ended up snatched by fae and spirited off to their hollows. A fae would see a human who was beautiful or had some talent like art or music. The fae would follow them around for weeks or months, watching unseen. Sometimes the fascination would pass and the human would never know they’d been observed except for the little gifts left by the fae for the human to find. Sometimes the fae would steal the human.” Takashi shrugged. “After a hundred years, or so, the fascination would fade. It was cruel to the human, though. They could never go back to their life or leave fae land. They would age in an instant and die, if they did so.”

 

“Well, that’s fucked up,” I noted. “But what does that have to do with me?”

 

Guy got up to attempt to separate Riley and Zeru. Riley had climbed onto the lounger and appeared to be trying to strangle the grinning guard.

 

“A fae is more likely to become fascinated if he’s lonely or depressed,” Takashi told me, ignoring the ruckus taking place five feet away. “The Unseelie think a bit of fascination is a good thing. It pushes their people to explore areas in great depth and acquire knowledge. And the Dark Court never did turn away a pretty human who had some exquisite talent. They also think that fascination between two fae leads to deep bonds of friendship that stabilize the court.” Takashi looked sadly at Riley, who Guy was hugging around the waist to attempt to pull the smaller man away from Zeru. “The Seelie see it as acceptable if the fae can shake their interest in the human after stealing them. It’s been long thought that the Queen likes to hoard those humans brought into her Hollow by others. Fascination between two fae is frowned upon in the Light Court. Fae in such a situation are considered weak-willed and pitiable.” Takashi put an arm around me and tucked me into his shoulder, the thick inky braid of his hair brushing my cheek. “It seems likely, given the circumstances, that you and Riley have a bit of fascination for each other.” He rubbed his cheek against the top of my head, like a cat scent-marking. “How would you feel if Riley left? Not for an hour or a day, but for months or years?”

 

My heart clenched in my chest and my throat tightened. To not see Riley? I mean, it would be fine if it was a day or two, but longer? It made my fingers itch to touch him, to feel whatever weird magic happened when fae were skin to skin. I was drawn to him, I knew that. Riley and Takashi both had said I was skin-starved from going so long without contact with other fae. But I’d had plenty of touch from Riley and, unfortunately or fortunately depending on how I looked at it, from King Tighearnain. I still felt a pull toward Riley. It wasn’t all-consuming, I didn’t want to stalk him, muttering like Gollum about his ring. It would feel bad if he were gone, though, and not in the normal “I miss you really bad” kind of way. It felt like it would be more of a tug in my gut that said “follow”.

 

Great, I had weird stalker tendencies. It sounded like Riley reciprocated my creeper needs, so maybe it was okay?

 

“What about you?” I asked Takashi, running the tail of his braid through my fingers. “Guy, Riley, and Zeru will be here. You aren’t obligated to stay.”

 

I glanced over, noting that Riley’s hair was looking an awful lot like actual flames and Guy had a finger poked in Zeru’s chest, looking like he was giving Zeru the scolding of his life. The blond fae was smirking, hands up as though to show he had no weapons.

 

“Do you know anything about bakeneko?” Takashi asked.

 

“Ummm, I know that you can turn into a big ass cat with two tails…”

 

“There is that,” Takashi said, amusement evident in his smooth voice. “I was thinking more along the lines of our history.”

 

I shook my head.

 

“Our legends say that the first bakeneko and nekomata were housecats who grew very old and wise, wise enough to drink certain kinds of magic and become more than mere housecats.” Takashi’s voice was cadenced as though this was a story told or heard many times. “Many bakeneko were still attached to their owners, either through love or hate. If the cat had been well-cared for and treated with kindness, the bakeneko would watch over that family, sometimes for generations. If the cat had been treated badly, abused, the bakeneko would curse the family and torment them until they fell into utter ruin.”

 

“Remind me never to piss you off.”

 

Takashi gave me a sharp-toothed smile and continued. “My people still have a tendency to get… attached to others. We want to help some, those we have respect or affection for.” His amber eyes darkened, giving me an intriguing little shiver. “Others we follow, but not to aid them.”

 

“Is it wrong that I find that really hot?” I blurted like an idiot.

 

“You like a bit of danger when you play,” Takashi said matter-of-factly, leaning over until I tipped back onto the seat with him looming over me. “And I hold you in great regard and affection. All the same, I’m more deadly and dangerous than any lion, tiger, or leopard.”

I lost track of him for a moment, somehow, and my wrists were held above my head in one of his long-fingered hands. He held up his other hand, fingers tipped with sharp claws. The hand drifted down, claw-tips like needles pricking against my throat. It barely stung, I didn’t think I was even bleeding, but the potential was there. My cock filled with blood so fast it hurt. I groaned and bucked my hips up, begging, ignoring the argument between Riley and Zeru that Guy seemed to be having no luck in settling.

 

“You like this,” Takashi said, claws trailing down to my collarbone.

 

It wasn’t a question, but I answered anyway.

 

“Yessssss.”

 

Takashi was leaning down to kiss me, Riley was leaning past Guy to full on bitch-slap Zeru, and Zeru was grinning like a dork. We all froze when the doorbell rang, followed by a sharp rapping. We stared stupidly at the door until the knock came again.

 

“Dr. Miklas? Iowa City Police.”

 

Well, there went my erection and possible fun-time with Takashi. At least Riley and Zeru had stopped staging World War III in my living room.

 

“Uh, just a minute! Be right there!” I called.

 

Time to lie to the cops.


 

I'm so sorry I've neglected this story! Life has been crazy but I'm starting to settle in. Thank you so much for reading!
Copyright © 2017 Rambling Robin; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 11
  • Love 12
  • Haha 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Uh-oh.  The rozzers arrived just when things were getting interesting.  Zeru needed that bitch-slap.

Glad to see this.  Hope the job's going well?

 

  • Love 1
Link to comment
1 hour ago, Brokenbind said:

Uh-oh.  The rozzers arrived just when things were getting interesting.  Zeru needed that bitch-slap.

Glad to see this.  Hope the job's going well?

 

Zeru would probably like it!

I'm loving work! I'm a complete dork for dentistry. It's so gross and amazing. Work is very fun most of the time. Lots of thinking and also doing. Lots of variation in a day and plenty of unexpected and interesting things. And I love the people I'm working with. That makes a huge difference. I'm very lucky.

Thank you!

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
3 hours ago, bos128 said:

Another great chapter! Please keep them coming at whatever pace suits you.

Aww thank you! I really appreciate how understanding people are. I'm so glad you're enjoying it!

  • Like 2
Link to comment

I’m glad you’re enjoying your work! Thank you for posting. I like these characters so much (even though I’m boring and wish Mick would be with Guy and only Guy). Riley and Zeru confound me — is Riley fighting his attraction to Zeru, or does he really hate him?

And this made me laugh way harder than it probably should’ve: “There’s a number you can call at the bottom for troubleshooting.” Still laughing.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
10 hours ago, Geemeedee said:

I’m glad you’re enjoying your work! Thank you for posting. I like these characters so much (even though I’m boring and wish Mick would be with Guy and only Guy). Riley and Zeru confound me — is Riley fighting his attraction to Zeru, or does he really hate him?

And this made me laugh way harder than it probably should’ve: “There’s a number you can call at the bottom for troubleshooting.” Still laughing.

It makes me happy that you like my babies! Thank you!

I know you're not the only reader who has wished things were a little more monogamous and a little less poly. I'm afraid it's my own tendencies sneaking through. I absolutely adore poly stories and I can never find enough. So, I made my very own one! 

I'm glad you got some chuckles out of it! I had fun writing it!

Link to comment

I’m in love with these characters. So I will wait on you. Take your time to make them perfect. Great chapter and I’m so proud of Nate and his growth. Thanks for sharing. 

  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 10/17/2019 at 10:06 PM, Geemeedee said:

Riley and Zeru confound me — is Riley fighting his attraction to Zeru, or does he really hate him?

I am hoping SO HARD that Riley has some kind of attraction to Zeru that he feels he ought to fight. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
20 hours ago, wisperingwillowwoman said:

I’m in love with these characters. So I will wait on you. Take your time to make them perfect. Great chapter and I’m so proud of Nate and his growth. Thanks for sharing. 

Aww thank you so much! That makes me feel a lot better! I always wish I could post more often. It's wonderful how patient people have been and I appreciate it so much. 

I'm glad you liked the chapter! Thank you for your comment!

  • Love 1
Link to comment
9 hours ago, Thirdly said:

I am hoping SO HARD that Riley has some kind of attraction to Zeru that he feels he ought to fight. 

@Geemeedee Oh! I forgot to answer this question! 

Yes, Riley is also pissed because Zeru may be annoying but he's also annoyingly hot and sexy! It makes Riley overreact in an attempt to keep Zeru at arms length.

Edited by Rambling Robin
  • Love 1
Link to comment

I've missed these guys! Good to see Mick back in his home, so he can reassure his sister and mother that he is fine. Guy is right, they will need to work at their relationship a bit to avoid misunderstandings and set some ground rules. But my guess is they'll have ever so much fun exploring the possibilites. Until some nasty, evil fae show up to try and finish Mick... But some sort of resolution is inevitable. Question is when...  

  • Love 1
Link to comment
56 minutes ago, Puppilull said:

I've missed these guys! Good to see Mick back in his home, so he can reassure his sister and mother that he is fine. Guy is right, they will need to work at their relationship a bit to avoid misunderstandings and set some ground rules. But my guess is they'll have ever so much fun exploring the possibilites. Until some nasty, evil fae show up to try and finish Mick... But some sort of resolution is inevitable. Question is when...  

I see you are figuring out my evil plans!

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..