Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

2014 - Fall - Scars Entry

Family Tree - 1. Story

“Maybe we should have waited until next weekend.” Ean slung the backpack over his shoulder and shut the truck door.

“We’ll be fine.” Tyler adjusted the shoulder holster he’d donned as soon as he’d gotten out of the truck.

“Somehow, the fact that you borrowed your dad’s pistol doesn’t reassure me.” Ean shook his head and watched Tyler check the chamber and the safety before sliding the pistol into the holster. “Neither does the fact you haven’t been up here in years. We’ll be lucky if we don’t end up lost.”

“Have a little faith.” Tyler chuckled. “I may not have been here in years, but this is where I spent a lot of my childhood. As for the pistol, you never know. It’s always better to be prepared, especially since I remember my dad finding signs of a mountain lion just across from camp one year. We weren’t allowed to go climb on the rocks across from camp after that. Well, not without an adult at least.”

Ean shook his head. This was important to Tyler, and he wasn’t going to ruin it for him, no matter how uncertain he was. He leaned against the side of the truck and waited for Tyler to finish doing whatever he needed to do. Finally, after what seemed forever, Tyler shut the truck door and walked around to join him.

“You ready?”

“As ready as I’m going to get.” Ean pushed away from the truck and fell in behind Tyler. He could barely even see the game trail Tyler led them to, but the fact that Tyler knew it was there helped ease his concerns somewhat. Maybe they wouldn’t get lost after all.

***

“I’m sure we didn’t pass it.” Tyler stopped and glanced back the way they’d come.

“Please tell me you’re kidding.” Ean groaned and sat on a downed tree next to the path. “How far in did you say it was?”

“A mile and a half or so.” Tyler glanced briefly at him before turning and looking further up the path.

Ean sighed as Tyler scratched his head.

“Just give me a minute to think. I just have to remember the landmarks.”

“We’re in the forest.” Ean shook his head. “It’s always changing, so how can you be sure that the same landmarks are still going to be there?”

“You’re right, there’s always a chance things changed since I was up here last.” Tyler started forward again.

Ean climbed to his feet and followed. On the plus side, they hadn’t left the path Tyler had first started out on, so he was confident they’d at least be able to get back to the truck. They’d been walking for another ten minutes when Tyler stopped again.

“Ha! Told you we hadn’t passed it!” Tyler pointed in front of them. “See that dry creek bed?”

“Yeah.”

“We just have to follow that, a couple hundred yards or so.” Tyler grinned at him. “I told you I wouldn’t get us lost.”

“I shouldn’t have doubted you.” Ean smiled back and followed behind as Tyler led the way once again. They followed the creek bed, leaves crunching and water-smoothed rocks sliding under their feet. Ean slipped once as he stepped on a rock he thought was solid only to have it roll. His arms flailed, and he barely managed to keep from falling on his ass. He was actually glad when Tyler stopped and started looking at the trees.

“This doesn’t make sense; it should be here.”

Ean slipped the backpack off his shoulders and started looking as well. He finally found what they were looking for, but he wished he hadn’t. Tyler was going to be heartbroken, and he really wished he didn’t have to be the one to tell him.

“Tyler, I found it.” Ean bent down and ran his index finger over Tyler’s name, carved into the white flesh of the tree and scarred over.

“Really?” Tyler rushed over. He froze and dropped to his knees when he reached Ean’s side. “No, it can’t be.”

“I’m sorry, babe.” Ean reached over and rubbed his hand up and down Tyler’s back. He did his best to comfort his husband as they looked at the tree lying amongst the other deadfall.

“It was supposed to still be standing, that’s why they chose a tree so far off the main road.” Tyler ran his finger over one name and then another.

Ean sighed. He knew how important the tree was to Tyler and his family. To be honest, he’d been looking forward to having his name added to the ones already carved into the white flesh of the aspen.

“What are we going to do now?”

“I don’t know. What do you want to do?” Ean was willing to do whatever Tyler wanted. He was hesitant to make any suggestions, not sure how they’d be taken.

“I’ll have to talk to my brothers. Maybe we can come up here next weekend and find a way to trim the trunk and haul the section with all the names out. Maybe give it to our parents for their anniversary.” Tyler smiled at him.

Ean nodded. It would be an awesome present for his in-laws. The tree was a piece of family history. He still remembered when Tyler had first told him about the tree that had all their names carved in it. It was considered to be their family tree, literally. It started with his great-grandparents on his father’s side. They’d been hunting and had stopped to carve their names into the tree.

Once they had kids, and the kids were old enough, they were taken to the tree and allowed to carve their names into the white trunk. Throughout the years, their spouses and children’s names were added. Tyler’s parents were the only ones who continued the tradition with their kids. Tyler and his brothers had planned to do the same, but had yet to do so, until now.

“You know”—Ean stood and walked over to another tree—“we could start a new tree. Just like your great-grandparents did. When we have kids, we could bring them up and add their names, and then they could add their spouses and kids’ names.” He ran his fingers over the white trunk. “I know it wouldn’t be the same, but it would be a way to keep the tradition alive.”

Tyler nodded.

“I think I’d like that.” He stood and dug in his pocket, pulling out the folded up knife before walking over to join Ean.

Tyler opened the knife and pressed the blade into the white trunk and painstakingly carved his name and the year before handing the knife over to Ean.

Ean bent and placed a quick kiss to his husband’s lips before completing what they’d set out to do. He’d expected to have to use more force; either the blade was sharper or the trunk softer and the blade sunk into the tree with ease. He took his time, wanting each letter to be clear next to Tyler’s so that even once it scarred over it would be legible. When he’d finished, he brushed his hand over his and Tyler’s names. By the time they brought their own kids back to add their names, they’d be scarred over and the tradition would continue, only this time, his and Tyler’s names would be at the top.

Ean closed the knife and shoved it in his pocket. Tyler was waiting and with a last glance at the tree, their names joined together, they headed back to the truck. They hadn’t been able to add his name to Tyler’s family tree like they’d planned, but in a way, he’d gotten something so much better. They were starting their own family tree, just like Tyler’s great-grandparents had done so many years before.

Sometimes a story idea springs up from something in my own life. The tree that inspired this story really does exist and I remember seeing it every year during hunting season. It was always so neat to see all of the names carved in the trunk of the tree, especially my great-grandparents names. When I was trying to come up with an idea for the Scars anthology, I started thinking of that tree and the "scars" in the trunk that carried with them so much family history. I hope you enjoyed my attempt at turning a memory into a story. I'd love to hear what you thought, so feel free to leave a review!
Copyright © 2014 Renee Stevens; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 19
  • Love 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

2014 - Fall - Scars Entry
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

What a beautiful and feel good story. Memories are great, but to actually having the physical evidence of times gone by is wonderful. Love it. :)

Link to comment

I think that would be the absolute best anniversary gift, seeing all your kids and their kids' names carved into a tree. If they can get that part of the tree that would be awesome. :)

 

It's great that Ean came up with an idea that was a comfort to Tyler. :) I also loved the pic you included. How did you do that?

Link to comment

Beautiful sentimental story.

It is incredible how important family traditions really are like that. Things we cherish and cling to. It is a sense of identity and purpose. To be associated with a long line of people who all at some moment in their life were all brought to the same place in their life and in their own way added to the tradition. A single moment uniting every single one of those names added to that tree.

I really like the name Ean. That's mint. :)

Where did you get the picture?

Link to comment
On 09/12/2014 03:48 AM, joann414 said:
What a beautiful and feel good story. Memories are great, but to actually having the physical evidence of times gone by is wonderful. Love it. :)
Thank you Jo Ann. I wanted to do something a little different than what I figured most people would do. The more I thought about the theme, the more I pictured the names carved into a tree. I'm glad you enjoyed it :)
Link to comment
On 09/12/2014 05:07 AM, Lisa said:
I think that would be the absolute best anniversary gift, seeing all your kids and their kids' names carved into a tree. If they can get that part of the tree that would be awesome. :)

 

It's great that Ean came up with an idea that was a comfort to Tyler. :) I also loved the pic you included. How did you do that?

Thank you Lisa. It sucks that it's not longer standing, but on the bright side, they won't actually have to cut it to be able to take it out of there... The challenge is going to be actually packing it out. I'm glad that you enjoyed the story. As far as the picture, I found a site where you could enter what names you wanted in and it would "carve" them into the tree. You could then order the results in either a poster or a canvas. I just saved the preview and then Cia helped me by editing it a bit to add some fall color and focus it more on the names.
Link to comment
On 09/12/2014 09:49 AM, Yettie One said:
Beautiful sentimental story.

It is incredible how important family traditions really are like that. Things we cherish and cling to. It is a sense of identity and purpose. To be associated with a long line of people who all at some moment in their life were all brought to the same place in their life and in their own way added to the tradition. A single moment uniting every single one of those names added to that tree.

I really like the name Ean. That's mint. :)

Where did you get the picture?

Thank you Mr. Yettie! I'm glad that you enjoyed the story. I'd love to be able to go up and see our own "family tree" but unfortunately it's on private property so it's a bit difficult, though maybe one day. Would just have to get in contact with the people who own the property rights and get permission and keys to all the gates leading in.. Maybe one day and then my brother can add his kids' names to the tree. Would be great! I struggled to come up with the names for this story, but I really liked Ean as well and it's not one I really see too often in stories, so it worked! As far as the picture, I found a site that you could create them and then order them as a poster or canvas. I just saved the preview and then Cia tweaked it a bit for me.
Link to comment

I like the direction you took the idea of Scars in, Renee. The idea of a family tree with all the names was really unique and I loved how the two men played off each other. Really enjoyed how Ean came up with a way for Tyler to continue the family tradition. A truly sweet little story and I loved it. :)

Link to comment

Renee, a very enjoyable and sweet tale. I liked the different take you had on the theme and how your characters made a 'real' family tree. After spending a good portion of the beginning of this year tracing my own family tree, it had special meaning for me. Great job and I truly enjoyed it.

Link to comment

It's been a wonderful family tradition, but what I really liked was that Tyler and Ean made something good out of the bad news and started their own tree.

Link to comment

Really powerful sentiment with this idea. I like the idea of scars as a new beginning of positive things. Thanks Renee! Beautiful idea! Lovely tale. :)

Link to comment

I know of a giant tree, no telling how old it is.... the bottom is covered in hearts and initials and scars of love. So I enjoyed your story very much.

Link to comment

At least they only scarred one poor tree, so the damage was contained, rather than wounding multiple trunks with carvings in the bark. Over here, foresters take a dim view of this behavior, but then again most of our forests are managed, and the trees destined for timber and other uses. One carving like that will ruin a valuable veneer log forever, so if you have to mutilate trees at least choose the ugly, misshapen specimens with plenty of low branches. *rant over*

Otherwise, the story was sweet. :)

Link to comment
On 09/12/2014 02:12 PM, comicfan said:
I like the direction you took the idea of Scars in, Renee. The idea of a family tree with all the names was really unique and I loved how the two men played off each other. Really enjoyed how Ean came up with a way for Tyler to continue the family tradition. A truly sweet little story and I loved it. :)
Thanks Wayne! I wanted to do something a little different. I remembered seeing that tree every year and decided to write about it. It's interesting to think about how, even though the people who's names are in the tree may be gone, their is something of them that remains.
Link to comment
On 09/12/2014 05:39 PM, Bill W said:
Renee, a very enjoyable and sweet tale. I liked the different take you had on the theme and how your characters made a 'real' family tree. After spending a good portion of the beginning of this year tracing my own family tree, it had special meaning for me. Great job and I truly enjoyed it.
Thank you Bill! When I was trying to think of a name for the story I kind of had to smack myself because it was staring me in the face, lol. I've never really sat down and traced my family tree back too far. I'm glad that you enjoyed it and that it brought back special memories for you!
Link to comment
On 09/12/2014 07:12 PM, Slytherin said:
I like this idea of scars. Scars on a tree. Tree graffiti. Lovely story, I really enjoyed it :)
Thank you Slytherin! I didn't think it was something too many people would come up with and am glad you enjoyed my take on the theme :)
Link to comment

I loved this Renee! Aside from the importance of the tree itself and the tradition it represented, I got so much out of the journey to the tree by Tyler and Ean. It was a little journey about trust and faith and doing something for each other. They seemed so much the typical married couple who complimented each other and were there for each other. They showed me that they were in the right place as a couple to keep the tradition alive by starting a new tree for their new, intended family. Such sweetness in so few words. Cheers...Gary

Link to comment
On 09/13/2014 05:55 AM, aditus said:
It's been a wonderful family tradition, but what I really liked was that Tyler and Ean made something good out of the bad news and started their own tree.
Thanks Aditus! It was a great tradition, but sometimes you just have to look beyond the bad and find something good. It's not always easy, but it can be done. Who knows how many names will be on the new tree in the future :)
Link to comment
On 09/13/2014 02:24 PM, Cole Matthews said:
Really powerful sentiment with this idea. I like the idea of scars as a new beginning of positive things. Thanks Renee! Beautiful idea! Lovely tale. :)
Thank you Cole! I'm glad you enjoyed it! So many times Scars are only seen as something bad, I wanted to show a way in which Scars, while still a disfigurement, were actually something good and I'm glad that I was able to do so.
Link to comment
On 09/13/2014 02:54 PM, Foster said:
I know of a giant tree, no telling how old it is.... the bottom is covered in hearts and initials and scars of love. So I enjoyed your story very much.
Thank you Sam, I'm glad you enjoyed it! It's so interesting when you find something like that and imagine all the people who have been there before you. Something like that has it's own tale to tell.
Link to comment
On 09/13/2014 11:13 PM, Timothy M. said:
At least they only scarred one poor tree, so the damage was contained, rather than wounding multiple trunks with carvings in the bark. Over here, foresters take a dim view of this behavior, but then again most of our forests are managed, and the trees destined for timber and other uses. One carving like that will ruin a valuable veneer log forever, so if you have to mutilate trees at least choose the ugly, misshapen specimens with plenty of low branches. *rant over*

Otherwise, the story was sweet. :)

Thank you for your review Timothy. While I disagree with you, everyone has their own opinions. Tree's in a natural forest are going to get scarred over time, granted, some could be prevented, but not all. Do foresters also take a dim view of Elk & Deer raking their antlers against a tree, scraping the bark off and scarring the trunk? Or a bear raking their claws into the trunk leaving marks that also can scar over time? Do I advocate going around and taking a knife to every tree you come in contact with, no, but a family, or a couple, carving their names into a tree isn't a horrific act. Whenever I'd go to the tree where generations of my family have carved their names, I feel a sense of belonging. I guess the difference is, that foresters look at a tree and only see dollar signs, so the slightest imperfection is unacceptable.
Link to comment
On 09/14/2014 06:01 AM, Headstall said:
I loved this Renee! Aside from the importance of the tree itself and the tradition it represented, I got so much out of the journey to the tree by Tyler and Ean. It was a little journey about trust and faith and doing something for each other. They seemed so much the typical married couple who complimented each other and were there for each other. They showed me that they were in the right place as a couple to keep the tradition alive by starting a new tree for their new, intended family. Such sweetness in so few words. Cheers...Gary

Thanks for the review Gary! Sorry for the delay in replying. Not sure how I missed responding to it. I'm so glad that you enjoyed the story and I absolutely love the comments that you had about it. I think Tyler and Ean starting their own family tree is my favorite part of this story :)

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..