Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Puppy Love - 2. Chapter 2

Stripping out of his clothes, Blaine grabbed up his soap, shampoo, and a towel and headed towards the edge of the lake. He was not really worried too much about privacy, he was in a fairly secluded area and the nearest campsite that was in use was a couple miles away. He should know, he walked and drove through those same woods every day. Setting all of his things on a rock near the edge, Blaine waded in until he was waist deep before diving in. After surfacing, he swam with strong, sure strokes, determined to get some of his frustrations out through physical means. After about fifteen minutes of powerful swimming, Blaine swam back towards where he had left his things on the shoreline.

As he approached the water’s edge he looked up and was shocked to see a lone figure standing next to where he had left his towel. Back-pedaling a bit, Blaine treaded water as he gazed at the man. From what he could see, he estimated that the man was in his mid twenties or so and he looked to be fairly physically fit. Blaine had never been overly self-conscious, but something just made him not want to step out of the water. When the man's gaze never left him, Blaine decided that the guy was not going to leave anytime soon and he didn’t have much choice. Swimming until his feet touched the bottom, Blaine stood up and made his way towards the shore.

As he approached, Blaine locked gazes with the man and had to force himself not to turn around and go back into the relative safety of the water. Reaching his towel and the man standing next to it, Blaine bent over and grabbed up his towel off the ground, all too conscious of the man’s gaze. Blaine quickly secured the towel around his waist before turning and facing the guy standing next to him. The guy who had intruded on his peace and quiet.

“Can I help you?” Blaine asked, his tone stating that he was not happy at being disturbed.

“Nah, was just out wandering.”

“And you just happened to end up here, huh? Okay, sure, sorry if I find that a bit hard to believe.”

“Skeptical, that's nice to know. Name’s Levi,” the man said holding out a hand.

“Blaine,” Blaine answered, reluctantly grasping the hand that was extended towards him. At the first touch of Levi’s skin on his own, Blaine felt a warmth creep over his body, causing him to quickly pull away. “So, what exactly are you doing around here?”

“Like I said, I was just wandering, I’m camped about a mile west of here, just wanted to see what else was around here.”

“A mile huh? That’s interesting, considering the nearest approved campsite to this place is about two miles away, and that’s where all the tourist crap is. There’s not a whole lot to see out this way.”

“I wouldn’t necessarily say that, I think I found something worth exploring.”

“You know, that could be cause for me to knock your teeth out.”

“Yeah, I know, but it never hurts to take a chance once in a while; besides, I can take care of myself.”

“Yeah, I just bet you can,” Blaine muttered, determined not to let his gaze roam over the man’s body. “Listen, not to sound rude, but I’d like to finish what I was doing.”

“Go right ahead, don’t let me stop you,” Levi said softly.

“Let me rephrase,” Blaine said, his voice getting harsher. “I would like to finish what I was doing in peace. To do that, you would have to leave.”

“Alright,,” Levi said, holding his hands up in surrender, “I hear ya, I’ll go. For now,” he finished, his tone clearly stating that it was far from over, before turning and walking slowly back the way that he had come.

Blaine waited for a few minutes after Levi had disappeared in the trees before grabbing up his soap and shampoo and heading back out into the water. He made quick work of soaping up and washing his hair; he didn’t want to chance any other visitors while he was still in the water and somewhat vulnerable. Climbing back out of the water, Blaine wrapped his now damp towel around his waist and padded back towards camp, hardly even feeling the rocks that pressed into his bare feet. When he arrived he was irritated to see that he had company. There, sitting in one of his chairs, was Levi.

“What are you doing here?” Blaine asked, his voice harsher than he intended.

“Thought you might want some company after you were dressed,” Levi answered, showing a set of full white teeth as he smiled.

“Yeah well, I’m not exactly in the mood for company at the moment, especially when that company comes in the form of someone I don’t know.”

“Then maybe you should get to know me; besides, maybe some company will improve that sunny disposition.”

“I seriously doubt that,” Blaine said, grabbing up his clothes from the other chair. Deciding that there was no sense in modestly since Levi had already seen him naked, he let the towel drop and quickly slipped into his boxers before sliding his jeans on over his still damp skin. He knew that it would be uncomfortable but he was willing to risk it. Grabbing his towel from where it fell, he ran it over his chest before turning his attention to his hair, doing a quick job of towel drying it. Turning towards Levi he asked icily, “Now, was there something in specific you wanted, or did you just want to be a pain in the ass?”

“Nah, if you really want me to go then I’ll go.”

“Yeah? I want you to go. Nothing against you, but I came out here to be alone, and for me to be alone that means that you would have to leave.”

“Fine, I’ll go, but I will be back, you can rest assured on that.”

“Oh yeah, that just makes me all tingly inside, let me tell you,” Blaine said sarcastically.

“You’re just full of sunshine. Like I said, I’ll be back, I guarantee it,” Levi said before getting up and walking away.

Blaine watched Levi’s retreating back before going to the cooler and grabbing a beer. It wasn’t even noon yet, but he was past the point of caring. Sitting back down in his lawn chair he took a hefty gulp of his beer and let his thoughts roam. He knew he had been a complete ass to Levi, but all he had wanted was to be alone and Levi hadn’t seemed to get that.

Blaine was brought out of his thoughts when he heard a whimper coming from the trees. Heading towards his truck, Blaine grabbed his pistol before heading towards where he had heard the slight noise. He wasn’t sure what he expected to find, but he was surprised when he found a small pup stumbling over roots and brush. Getting down on his haunches, Blaine patted his thigh.

“C’mere pup,” he called softly.

He didn’t know what the pup was doing way out here, but he was going to find out. When the small pup came close enough, Blaine scooped him up and carried him over to where his chairs were. Sitting down in his chair, Blaine ran his hand over the pup and was surprised when he could feel the ribs against the skin. Obviously the pup had been on its own for a while. Blaine jerked his hand back when he felt something crawling on it and looked down to see fleas crawling all over his hand. Shaking his head he set the pup on the ground, Blaine grabbed his discarded towel and wiped it over his hand. Grabbing his shampoo he wrapped the pup in the towel and headed back down to the lake. He knew that a person wasn’t supposed to use human shampoo on animals, but it was all he had at the moment.

Stripping out of his jeans, Blaine picked the pup back up and waded out into the water. Setting the pup down in the shallow water, Blaine quickly scooped some water over it, wetting down its hair. Opening up his shampoo, he poured a generous amount of it over the line of the pups back. Letting the shampoo float next to him, Blaine quickly started scrubbing the pup clean. He knew that he wouldn’t be able to get all of the fleas off, but he could at least get some of them. After making sure the pup was scrubbed as good as possible, Blaine picked the wet pup up and cradled it against his bare chest, grabbing the shampoo he headed back to shore.

Once he reached shore, he bent down and grabbed his jeans before heading to camp. After quickly drying the pup off, Blaine got dressed and loaded the pup up in the truck. He would have to get some flea stuff to spray in the truck, but he had never been one for leaving an animal in the back of a pickup. Blaine started up the truck and headed towards the nearest campsite. He asked around and nobody reported a missing pup. Blaine headed from campsite to campsite and groaned when he seen a familiar figure walking around one of the sites. As he stopped the truck, Levi made his way over to the open window.

“Blaine, didn’t expect to see you here.”

“Yeah well, looking for the owner of this pup,” Blaine said, motioning to the pup that was curled up on the seat next to him.

“Haven’t heard anything, but from the looks of him, if he came up missing recently then whoever had him didn’t deserve him. That poor pup is skin and bones.”

“Yeah, I noticed that. I guess I just need to head into town and get some food for him.”

“Feed him slow Blaine, if he hasn’t eaten much in awhile, feeding him too much can make him sick.” Heading over towards the passenger door, Levi opened up the door and looked in the pup’s mouth. “He’s not dehydrated, so that’s a good thing. Must have been drinking from the lake.”

“How do you know that?”

“I’m a vet Blaine; I’m paid to know stuff like this. If you wouldn’t mind giving me a lift into town, we can go to the clinic and I can take a look at him.”

As much as Blaine hated to be stuck in the truck with Levi, he knew that the pup needed to be looked at. If it had been on its own for a while then there was no telling what all could be wrong with the poor creature. Motioning for Levi to get in the truck, Blaine pulled the pup over closer to him.

The ride into town was silent as Blaine thought back to the morning. He kind of regretted being such an ass towards Levi, especially after Levi dropped everything to go with him and check out the pup. He had spared a couple glances towards Levi during the trip thus far, each time he had, the vet had had one hand on the pup and was staring out the side window. When they reached town, Levi directed him towards the clinic.

Pulling up in front of the lone office, Blaine grabbed the pup up as Levi climbed out and went to open the front door. Blaine followed Levi into the clinic and into one of the rooms. After setting the pup on the table he sat back and watched as Levi set to examining the pup. After a few minutes he looked up as Levi removed his latex gloves.

“Well, what’s the verdict?”

“He seems to be in okay shape, but there is the possibility of him having worms. I’m going to give him his shots and a dose of wormer. I’ll give you a second dose that you can give him in a week or so. He’s quite a bit under weight, but with some care he should be okay. The weight could be from a combination of things, lack of food, worms, and who knows what else. Like I said though, he seems to be healthy for the most part. He has a strong heart beat, so that’s a really good sign.”

“So what do you think I should start out feeding him?”

“I’d say start him out on some soft food, a little at a time. I have some here that we can give him and then we can head to the pet store and grab the rest of the stuff you will need. Before we go though I am going to give him a quick flea bath and I’ll give you a three month supply of Advantage.”

“How much do I owe ya?”

“You don’t, I know that you didn’t plan on taking this pup on and I volunteered my services. Next check-up I’ll charge ya, but this time it’s on me.”

“Thanks Levi, sorry I was such an ass back at camp. It’s just been a bad little while. I’m not the greatest company lately, but thanks for the help with the pup.”

“I went into the business to help animals, that's what matters the most.”

“That’s a good thing to hear. So what all am I going to need for this little guy?”

“Well, I’ll give ya some food to get you by for a while, but you’ll still need to get a collar and a leash. You’ll also need some dishes and stuff like that. Plus, if you don’t want him chewing all your stuff up you’ll probably want to get him some toys to chew. I’m also going to give him a thorough teeth cleaning.”

“How long will all that take?”

“Not more than twenty minutes or so.”

“I could run to the pet store and get what I need while you do that.”

“Yeah, you could, but I figured I’d go with you and help you get set up. We also don’t know if this pup is housebroken, so a crate would probably be a good idea too.”

“Alright, I’ll wait until you’re done. What kind of pup do you think he is?”

“Well, based on his looks and stuff, I’d guess that he’s got at least some German Shepherd in him, but other than that I couldn’t tell ya anything else. My guess is mostly German Shepherd.”

“So he’s going to be fairly big?”

“Yeah, fairly big. I’m guessing he’s about four months old or so. Depending on how long he’s been on his own, his growth could be stunted, which means that he may not be the normal size of a German shepherd.”

“Damn, I sure didn’t expect to take something like this on. I guess I’ll have to get a place with a yard.”

“Yeah, for a dog that size you need a yard. They don’t make good apartment dogs.”

“I already figured that one out; they have a high energy level from what I’ve seen.”

“Yeah, you’ll also probably want to get into obedience classes. I can give you a number to call so that you can set it up.”

“That sounds like a plan. Where’s the restroom in this place?”

“Go out into the lobby and then take the small hallway next to the receptionist desk; it will be on your left.”

”Thanks, I’ll be back.”

“I’ll be here,” Levi said, grinning as he watched Blaine turn around and walk out. The man had a mighty fine ass if he did say so himself and he honestly wouldn’t mind getting a piece of it. Normally Levi tended to go for a bit shorter guys, he hated to be the small one, but he figured he could make an exception for Blaine. He’d just have to manage to get past those defenses that Blaine kept throwing at him. Levi had just finished giving the pup a flea bath and was in the process of drying him when Blaine stepped back into the room.

“Well, he sure cleans up good.”

“Yeah, he wasn’t as filthy as I figured he would be.”

“Well, I kind of gave him a dunk in the lake before I took off to find out if anyone actually owned him.”

“What did you use on him?”

“Just some regular Suave shampoo. I know you’re not supposed to use it on animals, but it’s all I had and he had fleas everywhere.”

“It’s okay in a pinch, it just dries out their skin pretty good, but the shampoo I used on him will take care of that, it’s an oatmeal based shampoo.”

“Sounds good, so are we almost finished up here?”

“Yep, just have to finish up with his teeth and then we can take him to the pet store. They actually allow you to bring pets in, so that’s a good thing, you will be able to see how he is around people. I should have done it before I did the teeth, but there is a can of dog food in the cupboard over there,” Levi said pointing.

Blaine opened up the cupboard and found a pop top can of puppy food. He quickly opened it up and then looked around for some kind of dish to put it in. Not finding anything, he looked over to where Levi was just finishing up on the dogs teeth and after looking again at the ribs showing through the pup’s coat, Blaine finally just stuck his hand in the can and got a small amount before walking over and holding his hand out to the pup.

Hearing a hearty laugh, Blaine looked over to where Levi was standing. “What?”

“I’m guessing you didn’t see the dish that was in the cupboard with the food?”

“No, I didn’t. You should have told me that there was a dish in there.”

“Well, I just kind of figured that you would see it when you got the food. Sorry about that. I think that’s enough for him for right now. You can give him a little more when we get back to camp, that way the food would have already had a little bit of time to settle and we’ll know if we’re going to have problems with his food.”

“Okay, so off to the pet store we go then, huh?”

“Yup, just let me wash up and grab some things together for the little guy. While I do that you can wash your hand off in the sink. There’s some antibacterial soap over there and some paper towels to dry off with.”

“Thanks,” Blaine said dryly, like he wouldn’t have noticed soap and paper towels. So what, he hadn’t seen the dish, but he wasn’t so stupid as to think there wouldn’t be soap and something to dry his hand off with.

Shortly after, Blain and Levi were on their way back out to the campsites laden down with supplies for the pup. Blaine hadn’t expected to buy so much stuff today, but the bill had ended up coming to about seventy dollars. The kennel alone had cost forty and they’d also ended up with a brush, some more shampoo, food and water dishes, toys, and a bed to go in the Kennel. He’d also got the dog some rawhide chews to help his teeth and then a collar and a leash. Pulling up in front of Levi’s campsite, Blaine heaved a sigh of relief. Levi seemed like a good enough guy, but now that the dog was taken care of, Blaine’s libido was deciding it was time to wake up.

“If you need anything you know where to find me. I’ll be out here for the next couple of days and then you can get a hold of me at the clinic if you need to,” Levi said as he climbed out of the truck after giving the pup a pat on his head.

”Okay, I’ll remember that, and thanks for all your help with the pup.”

“No problem, that’s what I’m here for. On the subject of the pup though, you probably should give him a name unless you plan on just calling him the pup.”

“Yeah, I know, I’ll try and think of something.”

“Let me know when you do and stop in at the clinic when you get a chance. I didn’t start a file on the pup yet, but we’ll need to have a record of when we gave him his shots and when he had his check-up.”

“Okay, and thanks again Levi.”

“Anytime, you two have fun.”

“Will do, later,” Blaine said before putting the truck in gear and pulling away from where Levi stood watching. A glance in the rearview mirror showed Levi standing where he’d dropped him off at, watching the truck disappear from sight.

Thank you for reading. Please leave a review letting me know what you liked and/or disliked about this chapter!
Copyright © 2011 Renee Stevens; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 16
  • Love 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

  • Site Administrator

Awww... sympathy overcomes hostility and then lust shows up. Gotta love it! Poor Blaine has to feel for another critter without a home to go to, they can be homeless together! The only thing I noticed in this chapter was that you switched who the pov was coming from a few times, but it's not distracting and easily marked by the story around the sections.

Link to comment
On 02/02/2011 10:16 AM, Jon T Lappin said:
This is good second chapter. You've really drawn me in!
Thanks Jon! There is a lot more still to come so I hope you continue to enjoy the rest of the story as well!
Link to comment
On 02/02/2011 07:33 AM, Cia said:
Awww... sympathy overcomes hostility and then lust shows up. Gotta love it! Poor Blaine has to feel for another critter without a home to go to, they can be homeless together! The only thing I noticed in this chapter was that you switched who the pov was coming from a few times, but it's not distracting and easily marked by the story around the sections.
Thanks Cia! Yeah, the emotions definitely run the gauntlet! I never really thought about the fact that both Blaine and the dog are homeless, guess I probably should have though, lol... Thanks for pointing out the change of pov, I didn't really noticed it, but if it's not distracting then I won't worry about it too much for now!
Link to comment

That was such a cute chapter. I am sooo embarassed that I got Baine's name wrong in the last review that I suppose I should have to like him if only for that. On the other hand I like him anyway after what he did fot the pup. I guess that he got left behind when someone came camping. Little bugger must have wandered off. I hope that no one out there is too upset at losing their pet and that they don't come back and take him away from Blaine.

 

I have so warned to Levi too although at the beginning I thought he was very pushy. You have to admire him though. he sees what he wants and goes all out to get it/

 

One more chapter before I get started on my chores

Link to comment
On 04/09/2011 08:14 PM, Nephylim said:
That was such a cute chapter. I am sooo embarassed that I got Baine's name wrong in the last review that I suppose I should have to like him if only for that. On the other hand I like him anyway after what he did fot the pup. I guess that he got left behind when someone came camping. Little bugger must have wandered off. I hope that no one out there is too upset at losing their pet and that they don't come back and take him away from Blaine.

 

I have so warned to Levi too although at the beginning I thought he was very pushy. You have to admire him though. he sees what he wants and goes all out to get it/

 

One more chapter before I get started on my chores

Thanks for the review Nephy! As for getting the name wrong, I've done that a time or two, and you didn't get it completely wrong, Riley is his last name. I love the pup, in my mind he's such a cute little bugger though I don't know his whole story, he refused to tell me why he was out wandering the woods all by himself. Levi... well.. what can I say about Levi... Yep, he is a pushy bugger, but it also shows that he doesn't give up easily. Thanks again!!
Link to comment

Levi has some gumption for a small guy. Brazen is another word. Ah yes a puppy makes everything better :)

 

Levi being a vet sure made things easier

 

So i like how we find out stuff as we go along and notin one giant lump - nicely done, the pacing is good, makes for an easy and engaging read :great:

Link to comment
On 06/07/2011 01:27 AM, Andrew_Q_Gordon said:
Levi has some gumption for a small guy. Brazen is another word. Ah yes a puppy makes everything better :)

 

Levi being a vet sure made things easier

 

So i like how we find out stuff as we go along and notin one giant lump - nicely done, the pacing is good, makes for an easy and engaging read :great:

Yes, Levi does have gumption. I see him as the guy who goes after what he wants and doesn't give up easily. The thing I like best about the puppy is that it makes Blaine realize that someone (even if it is a dog) is worse off than he is. He can relate with the pup even if it does surprise him. And yeah, Levi being a vet did make things easier, though sometimes I wonder if that's just too "convenient"
Link to comment

I think I read this story right after I joined GA but was too shy to review :*) But, I'm not shy anymore. :P And, it's even better the second time around. A mangy pup is going to be a wonderful connection for Blaine and Levi. You can't blame Blaine for being a little acidic when it comes to a man after Christian. On to read more now. :)

Link to comment

Well, I'm with Blaine. Levi is a jerk for intruding, and helping with the puppy doesn't make up for that. 

I suppose the pup will help with the loneliness, but how can he afford it, with no place to live.

Link to comment

The trope of falling in love with the obnoxious boor is a common one in fics, but I do hope Blaine is going to be taking Levi to task for his extremely discourteous behavior at the campsite.  It should be Levi doing the apologizing, not Blaine.

It would be great to have a scene where Blaine confronts Levi with his rudeness, similar to the one in Pride and Prejudice where Elizabeth tells Darcy where to get off.  Once Levi straightens up and flies right, then Blaine can fall in love with him! 😀

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..