Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Reece's Choice - 6. Chapter 6

It had been nearly a month since the barbecue with my cousins, which couldn’t have gone better. We’d had a blast once everyone had shown up, and they all seemed to like Dave. No matter how hard I tried though, I couldn’t get Josh’s words out of my mind. I’d found myself watching Dave when he wasn’t aware and there were times I’d catch him looking at me and I’d see hope, pain, and uncertainty in his eyes.

He recovered quickly, and I hadn’t said anything yet, but I was beginning to think I’d have to bring it up. I wanted to know what was going on in that head of his, and while he was very open about everything else, he still hadn’t confided anything about whatever it was Josh had mentioned. Whatever had happened still affected him, and I wanted to know what it was, before it came between us. Maybe I’d talk to him about it this weekend.

I slung my duffel over my shoulder and left my house, making sure the door was locked up tightly behind me. Dave and I were planning to go to a movie tonight, and since I got off work first, I’d agreed to meet him at his place and then stay the weekend with him. For once I had an entire weekend off and I was going to make the most of it. I pulled my phone from my pocket and texted him as had become normal.

Heading over.

He must have been waiting for it because within seconds I had an answering text.

I’m waiting.

I smiled, something I’d been doing a lot lately. For Dave, waiting could mean a couple of different things. One time he’d told me he was waiting, and he was—in the shower. Another time it was the bedroom. I think there were only a few times he was actually just waiting in front of the TV.

The drive over was uneventful, though I was so eager it seemed to take ten times longer than it usually did. I couldn’t wait. An entire weekend of just me and Dave with nothing to take us away from each other. I finally pulled up in front of his house, and he must have been watching for me. I was only halfway to the door before it swung open.

“Hey, babe.”

He pulled me inside. My bag fell to the floor as he pushed me up against the wall and kissed me like he hadn’t seen me in a month. I don’t know how long we stood there with our lips locked together, but he finally pulled back so I could drag a much needed breath into my lungs.

“A whole weekend. Santa Claus must have come early this year.” He grinned and picked my bag up off the floor and led the way to the bedroom, a path I knew all too well.

He dropped my bag on the bed and raised his eyebrow at me. Probably because I was still standing in the doorway to the bedroom. But we had all weekend, and I didn’t see any need to rush. Not because I didn’t want him—I did—but I also didn’t plan to spend all weekend in the bedroom. Besides, I was still trying to figure out how to ask him about whatever it was Josh knew and I didn’t.

“You okay?” Dave frowned and stepped towards me.

“Why did Josh ask me to promise not to hurt you?” I couldn’t keep the words back.

Dave froze and staggered back to sit down hard on the bed.

“When”—Dave swallowed and looked up at me—“did he say that?”

“At the barbecue.” I walked into the bedroom and sat next to him on the bed. “I’m sorry, I know I shouldn’t pry, but sometimes you just get this look about you. It’s like you’re just waiting for me to walk away while hoping I won’t. I don’t know how else to explain it.”

“No, you should know, it’s just not something I like talking about.” Dave sighed and shifted on the bed until he was facing me. “My freshman year of college I met this guy. We dated through most of freshman year and at the start of our sophomore year we got an apartment together off campus. He went home on breaks and stuff, but he wasn’t out to his family, so I never went with him. I didn’t think anything of it. Hell, I thought the guy loved me, guess I was naïve.”

“What makes you think he didn’t?” If the guy didn’t know what a great guy he had he was a moron.

“Because he was apparently bi and still dating his high school girlfriend back home.” Dave spat the words. “Spring break of our Sophomore year, he came back after his trip home… engaged.”

“What a bastard.” I didn’t know what else to say and something told me there was more to the story.

“Oh, that’s not all of it.” Dave’s hands clenched the bedspread and twisted. “He claimed he thought I knew. Said what we had was just some fun for him while at college and didn’t mean anything. He wasn’t going to come out to his family, said they wouldn’t understand and would probably stop paying for his college. Basically, he wasn’t about to stand up to his family and risk losing their financial support.”

I couldn’t even say anything; didn’t know what to say. I didn’t have to, Dave wasn’t done.

“I had barely looked at another guy since we’d started dating a year and a half earlier.” Dave’s shoulders seemed to slump in front of my eyes. “I felt like an idiot.”

“Why?” I reached out and rested my hand on his thigh. “You couldn’t have known.”

“Yeah, I could have, but I ignored all of the signs and other people telling me the guy was an asshole.” Dave shrugged.

“So, how did Josh find out?”

“My own stupid fault. Obviously I needed to find somewhere else to live. I stayed with a friend temporarily while I looked for another apartment. Josh had put an ad in the paper. We hit it off and ended up sharing the apartment for the rest of college. Our senior year, I got drunk off my ass and before I knew what I was doing, I was crying in my beer and spilling the entire story. He’d known I’d gone through a bad breakup, but none of the details.” Dave shook his head and looked down at his lap. “Once I was done, I felt sure he was going to tell me he wanted me to move out. Instead, he told me my ex was an idiot and I didn’t need him.”

I nodded. It sounded like something Josh would say. Him having a gay roommate in college helped me understand a bit better about why he was so cool with me when I came out to the family, not that I would have expected less from him .

“He was right, screw em. I’m sorry you dated such a prick, but as trite as it sounds, the experience helped you become who you are now. And who you are now is a guy I really like spending time with.” I slid closer until my knee pushed against Dave’s leg, smiling when he looked up at me. “There’s just one thing I don’t understand.”

“What’s that?”

“You said Josh filled you in a bit on how my family was with me, so why would you set yourself up for something like that happening again?” I realized how I sounded and hastened to reassure him. “I will never cave to their stupid demands or be anyone but who I am, but why take that risk? Not that it would be the exact same, but close enough.”

Dave smiled. “I knew Josh. He’d have never set me up for something like that. Besides, he assured me, repeatedly, you were one hundred percent gay and there was absolutely no risk of you leaving me for a woman. He also swore up and down you weren’t the type to cheat.” He frowned. “I can’t say the possibility never crosses my mind. It does. That’s probably when you see the look you were talking about.”

There really wasn’t much more I could say. I wasn’t ready to tell him I was pretty sure I was at least halfway in love with him. I didn’t want to scare him off, and until I could be sure we were on the same page, I kept those feelings held close to my heart. Even though I wasn’t ready to actually tell him, I had the whole weekend to show him how I felt. That thought in mind, I reached out and cupped the back of his neck with one hand and pulled him towards me.

Copyright © 2015 Renee Stevens; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 50
  • Love 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Poor Dave. Now I just wanna cuddle him. Shield him from all the big bad meanieheads. :pissed: Let me at the guy that hurt Dave. :fight:
Great chapter btw. :lmao:

Link to comment

Given what we know about Josh, I am surprised they weren't even closer than they were and that he wasn't more than 'just cool with' his being gay. He seems like a good person.
Obviously, it is a good sign they are communicating honestly. It is good to have something like scars from a past relationship out in the open. Should make it easier for Dave to open his heart up. I'm glad these two are hitting it off so well. I'd like us to get better feel for their personalities. I'm really curious about these two as individuals and as a couple. What types of things do they like doing together other than the obvious? :)
Will things be smooth sailing or will they still face more challenges? Are Dave's family members supportive? Will his parents ever come around? What are they interested in? Look forward to more.

Link to comment

Poor Dave, what a ghastly boyfriend he had :/ but now he has Reece and they seem happy together :boy: Josh keeps getting better and better, really like him, too.

Link to comment

I'm really glad that Reece started the conversation and Dave felt encouraged to open up. Keeping that hurt in and just waiting for the moment Reece might hurt him the same way, would never have ended well.
They are well suited for each other so I hope they work it all out.. Nice chapter!

Link to comment

What a horrible experience Dave had! What a shit of a b/f! To tell him he was just doing it for fun in college? Jeezus, how insulting can you get?

 

I would be totally gun shy if I were Dave, not trusting anybody. Once one person betrays your trust, then all bets are off for anyone else. Glad Reece isn't like that ex.

 

Great chapter, Renee!

Link to comment
On 09/22/2015 01:23 AM, Daddydavek said:

Josh is coming accross better and better....best man material.

Thanks for the review DDK! I love Josh! :)

Link to comment
On 09/22/2015 01:45 AM, SoullessCynner said:

Poor Dave. Now I just wanna cuddle him. Shield him from all the big bad meanieheads. :pissed: Let me at the guy that hurt Dave. :fight:

Great chapter btw. :lmao:

Thanks for the review! Dave is definitely cuddable :) You're not the only one who wants to get at the guy who hurt Dave :)

Link to comment
On 09/23/2015 02:33 AM, Suvitar said:

Poor Dave, what a ghastly boyfriend he had :/ but now he has Reece and they seem happy together :boy: Josh keeps getting better and better, really like him, too.

Thanks Suvitar! What is that phrase? You have to kiss a lot of frogs before you find a prince? Hopefully Dave has found his prince, but only time will tell. Look forward to hearing your thoughts on the rest of the story.

Link to comment
On 09/22/2015 05:26 PM, Cannd said:

Given what we know about Josh, I am surprised they weren't even closer than they were and that he wasn't more than 'just cool with' his being gay. He seems like a good person.

Obviously, it is a good sign they are communicating honestly. It is good to have something like scars from a past relationship out in the open. Should make it easier for Dave to open his heart up. I'm glad these two are hitting it off so well. I'd like us to get better feel for their personalities. I'm really curious about these two as individuals and as a couple. What types of things do they like doing together other than the obvious? :)

Will things be smooth sailing or will they still face more challenges? Are Dave's family members supportive? Will his parents ever come around? What are they interested in? Look forward to more.

Thanks for the review Cannd! Communication is definitely the key here. Reece had already noticed something was up and Josh's cryptic comment earlier didn't particularly help. Though it did let Reece know that there was something about his past that Reece needed to know. At least now he knows. Josh on the other hand, is Josh. Not sure how else to word it. 'Just cool with' could simply be speak for he didn't really react and just accepted it, no questions asked. We are talking about Josh here, lol. As for what's going to happen with these two, only time will tell, and I hope you enjoy the rest of the story!

Link to comment
On 09/24/2015 01:25 PM, Defiance19 said:

I'm really glad that Reece started the conversation and Dave felt encouraged to open up. Keeping that hurt in and just waiting for the moment Reece might hurt him the same way, would never have ended well.

They are well suited for each other so I hope they work it all out.. Nice chapter!

Thanks for the review Defiance! I agree that it was great that Reece started the convo, even if he did just kind of blurt it out. He now understands a bit more about Dave, which can only be a good thing. I hope you enjoy the upcoming chapters as well!

Link to comment
On 09/28/2015 09:01 AM, Lisa said:

What a horrible experience Dave had! What a shit of a b/f! To tell him he was just doing it for fun in college? Jeezus, how insulting can you get?

 

I would be totally gun shy if I were Dave, not trusting anybody. Once one person betrays your trust, then all bets are off for anyone else. Glad Reece isn't like that ex.

 

Great chapter, Renee!

Thanks for the review, Lisa. The guy was definitely a douchebag. Luckily he's out of Dave's life. It's surprising to me that Dave seems so together, considering what happened with him. He must have a lot of trust in Josh and his opinion to be willing to jump feet first in a relationship with Reece. Now we just have to see where they take it from here.

Link to comment
  • Site Administrator

Poor Dave. I'm surprised he moved so quickly with Reece after being betrayed like that. I guess he realized that standing up to his family wouldn't be a problem for Reece. Plus there's Josh...I have to echo the other reviewers. Josh is pretty damn awesome. :)

Link to comment

Unfortunately, we tend to ignore the warning signs when we are in love. I think we all do it to some degree, until we get hurt badly. Good for Dave for jumping in with Reece... thanks to Josh, he picked a cool guy... great chapter, Renee... cheers... Gary....

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..